Duke, class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pagemmapants

Unknown Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's with me?

Party at my place July 29th! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Might be there :) I asked this in the pre-med thread, but anyone get any information on scholarships with their acceptance? I doubt I'd get one but I'd like to know what the process is. Good luck to all!

Peace.

Nobody else yet? What, are you guys all waiting for the H-bomb or something? Durham isn't that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
pagemmapants said:
Nobody else yet? What, are you guys all waiting for the H-bomb or something? Durham isn't that bad.

Durham is beautiful. I'm not huge on big city life in the first place so I guess that might not be a popular view.

Meeee too. Besides, for "college-type fun" we can always head over to Franklin Street and masquerade as Tar Heels. Or actually, I'm planning on organizing boatloads of camping trips over the school year. Tents + Fire = good times to be had by all! Having spent the last 4 years in LA I'm ready for a change, that's for darn sure. See you at 2nd look?

Bah, I'm so _____ now with all of these second look weekends back to back. I thought the application cycle was over but now it's a whole bunch more to do. I don't mean to sound insensitive to anyone who is having difficulty with acceptances -- you have my deepest sympathies. I suppose there are good and bad sides to everything. I don't know if I'm going to go to the Duke second look, though. It's a long drive, I don't feel like flying, and I'm pretty sure my decision will come down to finances and Duke will probably not be a frontrunner in that regard. The in-stateness is tugging at me. Good ol' Ohio with eleventy billion medical schools. You do get a lot from reading the email from Duke, though... and it's kind of funny how it came at the same time as WashU's and they sound very alike (i.e. use of the phrase "warm welcome" and such).

Pagemmapants, did you have trouble deciding or was/is it even a decision for you?

that's it, nothing else to say
oh, there is one small favor I would like to ask:
If you're cool, smart, and laid-back, come to Duke!
If not (ultra-competitive, have some type of social d/o, and are only coming to Duke because it's the greatest medical school in the country, which it is and I am 100% unbiased)? then I beg you not to poison our institution with your toxic nature!

Camel -
I feel you with all the second look weekends. I'm (an estimated) 99% sure that I'll be ending up as a Blue Devil. The closest front runner is Baylor and I'm not totally sure when their 2nd look is, but they're only a really likely contender if I get a fat scholarship there. UCSD is a little bit behind Baylor, but their major plus, apart from in-state tuition, is the friends-within-driving-distance factor. However, I'm sick of SoCal, so even that isn't too much of a draw. Also: my parents live in Wake Forest and I'm very close to them both, so that as well is an extremely strong pull for Duke/UNC. I doubt I'll go to the UNC 2nd look since it's the weekend after Duke's and I don't want to fly to NC twice in less than 10 days unless they pay for it. I might go to UCSDs if only as an excuse to see some of my friends down there, and because it's within driving distance. I'll only go to Baylor if it seems really likely that they're going to offer me a scholarship.

That said, I've already changed my AIM profile to "Duke School of Medicine, class of 2010!" and have started planning the route for my cross-country drive in early July. Yeah. I always knew I was a devil at heart.

DukeDoc08 -
Nice ta meetcha! As far as being cool, smart, and laid back. . . (they can't rescind an acceptance for "undesirable characteristics posted on SDN", right?) Well, I gotta say I'm a big fat slacker sometimes. I think I've only gone to about 33% of the lectures for my human genetics class this quarter. So yeah. Hypercompetitive? Not me. Although there is a possible future surgeon hidden away in there, but I try to let her manifest herself in dexterity and attention to detail, not know-it-all-ness. :D

But yeah, Duke is the best medical school in the entire country. At least to my completely unbiased and discriminating eye. ;)

DukeDoc08 said:
that's it, nothing else to say
oh, there is one small favor I would like to ask:
If you're cool, smart, and laid-back, come to Duke!
If not (ultra-competitive, have some type of social d/o, and are only coming to Duke because it's the greatest medical school in the country, which it is and I am 100% unbiased)? then I beg you not to poison our institution with your toxic nature!

I hate competitiveness. It does not make me happy. :mad:

Hi everyone, my name is Tim and I'm almost positive that I will be at Duke this fall. I'm really excited! I might not get to goto second look weekend :( but I'm kinda curious to see who I'll be spending the next 4 years with! IM me at cyanutopia or e-mail me at [email protected].

I'm planning on attending second-look, but haven't signed up yet. Gotta do that soon, once I'm sure I can afford the ticket.

I didn't get to see enough (well any, really) of Durham when I interviewed, so I want to check that out again. Big cities are in general a turn-off to me, so I just have to make sure my wife and I like the place.

pagemmapants, I love camping. I'll bring the marshmallows!

ahhh!!!! i'm so excited about second look, it seems like they have some fun stuff planned out for us!~ :D now, the issue is, what am i going to wear??

The magic eight-ball is telling me that "signs point to yes" in regard to my matriculation at Duke. I have no reason to doubt it; I've used it for every other major decision in my life. I'll see you all at second look.

Ross

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh good lord. Clothes. I hadn't even THOUGHT about clothes. Kirexhana - CONGRATS - and thanks for making me now have to go to j.crew AGAIN this week. Everyone else - CONGRATS - and I'm looking forward to meeting you!

I'm the short brunette who looks like she used to be a gymnast (cuz she was).

- Gemma

Something skanky never hurt anybody
well almost...cough cough Paris Hilton cough cough
Just kidding, just kidding!!
low cut and revealing will do, you don't want to send the wrong impression, plus it's never a good sign when your skirt is shorter than your short white coat!

pagemmapants said:

what? it's true. didn't you hear about that study done awhile back? wearing less clothes is healthier...

btw: did you know that gullible's not in the dictionary? har har har :p

seriously tho, i need to look good. ima go check the recommended dress code...

edit: guys... what does casual business really mean?

oiy, i still haven't decided which school to attend yet *sniff* convince me someone plzzzzzzz

hey guys-
i'll be at the weekend 2, but have a quick question:
i had a regional interview, and am not sure if duke is pass/fail or if there are grades...do any of you guys know this?

ladyballa1492 said:
hey guys-
i'll be at the weekend 2, but have a quick question:
i had a regional interview, and am not sure if duke is pass/fail or if there are grades...do any of you guys know this?

i think it was pass/fail for our one year of basic science...

kirexhana said:
i think it was pass/fail for our one year of basic science...

Basic sciences are either P/F or H/P/F, depending on which block.
Clinical courses are Hons/High Pass/P/F.
"Practice" is P/F.
I'm not entirely sure how the CPX is graded (clinical performance exam at the end of 2nd year) is graded, but I think it's P/F with evaluation comments, etc.

:thumbup:

On a totally different topic. . . does anyone know if doing the Primary Care Program means that you can't take electives in specialties? i.e. I'd like to do the PC course for the extra clinical exposure but I'm fairly sure I do want to specialize eventually and I don't know if PC will make it less likely that I'll get, say, surg electives. :confused:

ALSO: Business Cas. for women = black slacks w/ nice crease down the front, black boots, and a quality v-neck fitted tee or a nice cable-knit sweater (depending on the weather, of course)?

Correct on whoever talked about the grading, or at least that is they way it is run for now. There was talk of all of first year being P/F but the profs didn't like that idea, thought we wouldn't put in any effort if this was the way.

PC? I have no idea what you are talking about, is this a new thing that Duke has for co 2010? interesting. if you are not interested in something, then I would not do it. you will have plenty of time for "more clinical exposure" you can even get into the clinics your first year if you wanted to, and I bet in the family medicine building you could even see patients if you found the right mentor

Business cas? our class, the women, wear slacks and a button down shirt, if there is a picture involved, then wear a suit (but that wouldn't be business casual)

DukeDoc08 said:
Correct on whoever talked about the grading, or at least that is they way it is run for now. There was talk of all of first year being P/F but the profs didn't like that idea, thought we wouldn't put in any effort if this was the way.

PC? I have no idea what you are talking about, is this a new thing that Duke has for co 2010? interesting. if you are not interested in something, then I would not do it. you will have plenty of time for "more clinical exposure" you can even get into the clinics your first year if you wanted to, and I bet in the family medicine building you could even see patients if you found the right mentor

Business cas? our class, the women, wear slacks and a button down shirt, if there is a picture involved, then wear a suit (but that wouldn't be business casual)

what about guys? same deal? or jacket?

kirexhana said:
what about guys? same deal? or jacket?
My impression for guys (well, actually google's) is brown shoes, khaki socks, dress khakis, and a solid-colored or otherwise traditional button-up shirt. No tie, no jacket.

Is second look really a deal maker or deal breaker, would fin aid be more of a determination

dajimmers said:
My impression for guys (well, actually google's) is brown shoes, khaki socks, dress khakis, and a solid-colored or otherwise traditional button-up shirt. No tie, no jacket.

ugh! i hate khakis. you'll know its me at 2nd look when you see a kid that looks like he's worn jeans all his life (which... i have) my @$$ look so gross :( (checks self out in mirror, repeatedly)

Anybody know of a housing/roomie website for those who can't make the second look weekend but would like a roommate?

gracias

Shaka said:
Anybody know of a housing/roomie website for those who can't make the second look weekend but would like a roommate?

gracias
Duke Lacrosse, opinions... ?
Think fin aid might be less due to lawyers fees?

Hi all,

I'm a duke MS3, and I'll be one of the students on the "housing/safety in durham" panel at second look. Durham is a very split town with some areas that you really don't want to live in, so it's important to know where to start looking. If you're going to miss, feel free to drop me an email ([email protected]) and I'll send over some housing info.

Re lacrosse: the University is NOT protecting the team. They've already all given DNA samples, and the president has basically said that if even part of the story is verified, they are booted from Duke (and ideally will get a nice long prison sentence to think about the acceptability of their actions). Duke is no different than any other US college in the presence of sexual assault problems (though it may go under the radar at many schools); this case became national mainly due to the possible racial motivation.

-Mike

Rex, dude. Next year is going to be, in the words of Krishn, "off tha CHAIN".

This is going to be the longest 4 months of my LIFE.

UNC-or-BUST said:
Is second look really a deal maker or deal breaker, would fin aid be more of a determination

Deal maker for me. I may very well be $200k+ in debt by the end of it, but after meeting the rest of the prospies my 90% certainty went directly to 100% certainty. I now bleed royal blue. Couldn't make it to 2nd look? PM me for the dirty details.

pagemmapants said:
Rex, dude. Next year is going to be, in the words of Krishn, "off tha CHAIN".

This is going to be the longest 4 months of my LIFE.

i can't believe it's over already. no kidding.... how am i supposed to focus on class now? alright just need to pass, just need to pass...... come ON JULY!

pagemmapants said:
Deal maker for me. I may very well be $200k+ in debt by the end of it, but after meeting the rest of the prospies my 90% certainty went directly to 100% certainty. I now bleed royal blue. Couldn't make it to 2nd look? PM me for the dirty details.

hehehe, dirty. there was a bit of that... ;)

Got my Duke Financial Aid packet today. I submitted FAFSA and that crazy Need Access form by February 12. Got some grant money, but not as much as I would have liked. I'll probably be withdrawing from Duke pretty soon.

I hope you all get good news from the finaid office soon! :luck:

I got crap news from the FA office. It's like how one of my tour guides said "Everyone gets a little". :::grump:::

I still think I'm going, though.

Are they including scholarship information in the financial aid mailings that you all are getting? I haven't gotten anything yet.

Camel said:
Are they including scholarship information in the financial aid mailings that you all are getting? I haven't gotten anything yet.
If you're refering to merit scholarships (they refer to need-based as Grants, which are included in the package for sure), I think they are. I didn't get any, but the letter that comes with the package says: "Merit scholarships are awarded through the Admissions Office/Scholarship Committee..." and goes on to mention some details of needing to write a letter-o-thanks for the scholarship, etc.

Yeah I didn't get very much financial aid either. Somewhere around 20k in loans plus a pretty big family contribution. I probably won't be attending at this point. Oh well, I'm sure someone else will be glad to take my spot.

forevalwayzz said:
but i thought duke has a "generous" financial package."

I think part of that stems from the fact that you can get full funding for your research in the third year. If you were to do that, you'd only be paying for three years at Duke, which would significantly reduce the overall debt. However, if you're thinking of doing a dual degree, you won't have that opportunity.

Last week Duke admissions said that they were deciding on merit scholarships, and that decisions would go out this week.

Has anyone heard anything further regarding merit scholarships?

forevalwayzz said:
but i thought duke has a "generous" financial package."

I'm on the waitlist, but at my interview they said that they gave you a grant worth 60% of what was left in the cost of attendance after your family contribution... Is that not right?

quite frankly, I dont remember anything people tell me at my interview, ranging from the questions they asked me to all the tour and orientation that they put me through. As far as I know, it was all a long dream and I woke up to magically find an acceptance letter in my hand and me being o_O

forevalwayzz said:
quite frankly, I dont remember anything people tell me at my interview, ranging from the questions they asked me to all the tour and orientation that they put me through. As far as I know, it was all a long dream and I woke up to magically find an acceptance letter in my hand and me being o_O

I just remember thinking that with an EFC of zero I was going to be getting a massive grant- The $ signs blinded me the rest of the day.... Even during the interview I had trouble concentrating on anything besides that financial aid system (I guess that could explain my waitlist status :laugh: )

The EFC the FAFSA gives you isn't what they look at. When you turn in your Need Access they do some fancy mathematical calculations to determine what THEY think your parents can contribute. Then they give you a grant for HALF of what's left.

I had a FAFSA EFC of $0, but they estimated that my parental contribution could be in excess of $54k/year.

No word on merit scholarships here, but that doesn't necessarily mean they haven't gone out yet, of course. :)

pagemmapants said:
The EFC the FAFSA gives you isn't what they look at. When you turn in your Need Access they do some fancy mathematical calculations to determine what THEY think your parents can contribute. Then they give you a grant for HALF of what's left.

I had a FAFSA EFC of $0, but they estimated that my parental contribution could be in excess of $54k/year.

No word on merit scholarships here, but that doesn't necessarily mean they haven't gone out yet, of course. :)

You can appeal that. Or at least I know a first year who did. She didn't get a ton more, but she did get more money.

pagemmapants said:

My mom is disabled.... I wouldn't have ended up with a parental contribution even with the Need access form...

pagemmapants said:
My apologies. Was just trying to clarify.

I know; I wasn't bothered.... I was just explaining why I was so excited about the aid... Now, I guess this humble waitlister will leave y'all to talk :p

Did anybody receive housing information in the mail? I was under the impression that info was handed out at the 2nd look, and hoping they would send that same info to the rest of us...

Also, does anybody know if Duke still requires all students to purchase the same computer (is it included in the price of the first year?)?

Thanks again people.