Drexel VS. NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted212936

I'm seriously contemplating about these 2 schools. It would really help if you could share your thoughts on the pros & cons of Drexel/NYCOM, especially if you have attended either school.

- CLINICAL training - This is the most important factor to me.

- The curriculum.

- How well does Drexel/NYCOM prepare students for board exams?

- Cost: equally expensive (?)

etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
nycom might be more expensive.

hahnemann is a great place to train. used to be one of the top philly hospital, its tough to get tons of patients being in that location though, but its the first hospital out of the ben franklin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote Drexel, by a landslide. Also, Philly has relatively low cost of living. I wouldn't bank on rotating at Hahnemann though. Apparently, unless you have family commitments in Philly, you're most likely going to be doing the whole rotating thru the various hospitals throughout NJ, PA, and DE :/ Personally, I wasn't a fan of this, but I still think Drexel trumps NYCOM. Students told me that some of their profs are the writers of some of the review books nearly everyone uses for Step I...sounds like a plus to me.

I saw somewhere on the boards that NYCOM actually has a higher specialty match rate than Drexel. To many people, this means NYCOM is actually a better school. But it's probably more expensive because of the area it's located. And you will probably have to take both boards which is also a major inconvenience. NYCOM has more diversity in where you can rotate (NJ, NYC, LI, and upstate NY), and I think it's a bigger school in terms of class size.

If given the choice I'd probably go for Drexel, even though for me it's a lot further away from family. But I'm biased against the DO philosophy because I see OMM (especially cranial osteopathy) as being at least partially unscientific and I don't want to waste my time learning that instead of statistics and epidemiology.

I saw somewhere on the boards that NYCOM actually has a higher specialty match rate than Drexel. To many people, this means NYCOM is actually a better school. But it's probably more expensive because of the area it's located. And you will probably have to take both boards which is also a major inconvenience. NYCOM has more diversity in where you can rotate (NJ, NYC, LI, and upstate NY), and I think it's a bigger school in terms of class size.

If given the choice I'd probably go for Drexel, even though for me it's a lot further away from family. But I'm biased against the DO philosophy because I see OMM (especially cranial osteopathy) as being at least partially unscientific and I don't want to waste my time learning that instead of statistics and epidemiology.

I think saying NYCOM's specialty match rate is higher is sort of deceptive since perhaps percentage-wise it is but many of these matches are into osteopathic residencies/hospitals rather than allopathic. FWIW, I interviewed at both and liked them both. The class size is exactly the same (250 i believe).
I think it would just be a feel choice and deciding if you would prefer a DO or MD degree. Aside from that they both are good schools that are both expensive and provide good training.

Why would you go DO over MD especially if you want a somewhat competitive residency? Also NYCOM's administration is known to be not friendly to students.

I'm thinking because I've heard at Drexel, you don't get to see as many patients as you'd like. I would want to know the truth about that.

I've heard that NYCOM administrators/counselors care little about students' interests. When setting up rotations, students get little to no advice/suggestion as what would be best for them.

On the other hand, I've heard that Drexel has some troubles with their affiliated hospitals (?).

NYCOM has ~50 rotation choices while Drexel has ~20.
Drexel: clinicals are set up on a lottery system.
NYCOM: ?

I'd like to rotate in busy hospitals so I'll get to see a variety of medical cases. Also, I want to stay close to NY. I'd like to know more about the qualities of clinical training at either school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you go DO over MD especially if you want a somewhat competitive residency? Also NYCOM's administration is known to be not friendly to students.

I think boards matter more than what degree you're getting. I know DOs that are surgeons, anesthesiologists, emergency medicine, radiology, etc. If you have a higher score from NYCOM than a person from Drexel I think the board would have to be insane to not take you just because you came from a DO school.

I'm thinking because I've heard negative things about Drexel clinical training, one of those is, you don't get to see as many patients as you'd like. I would want to know the truth about that.

I've heard that NYCOM administrators/counselors care little about students' interests. When setting up rotations, students get little to no advice/suggestion as what would be best for them.

On the other hand, I've heard that Drexel has some troubles with their affiliated hospitals (?).

I'd like to rotate in busy hospitals so I'll get to see a variety of medical cases. Also, I want to stay in the Northeast (close to NY). I'd like to know more about the qualities of clinical training at either school.
I"m sure both schools will give you good quality clinicals but keep in mind that Drexel's clinical experience is LCME accredited and their standards are much more rigorous then the AOA's. I have also heard that NYCOM reserves it's good clinical spots for students that perform well in the first two years and there are plenty of subpar sites that NYCOM students must rotate through. Lastly, and most importantly, when you go to medical school you are not just getting an education you are also purchasing a degree. I dont want to get into a whole DO vs MD debate but the fact is an MD will open up some doors that are closed to a DO (especially now as the match is increasingly competitive) and since they are the same price you really should choose Drexel.

I'm thinking because I've heard negative things about Drexel clinical training, one of those is, you don't get to see as many patients as you'd like. I would want to know the truth about that.

I'd like to rotate in busy hospitals so I'll get to see a variety of medical cases. Also, I want to stay in the Northeast (close to NY). I'd like to know more about the qualities of clinical training at either school.

Who have you heard these things from? Care to elaborate?

Sorry, no hard feelings. I myself don't know if it's true (read it on SDN).

If anyone could provide more inputs, please feel free to do so. Much appreciated!

I"m sure both schools will give you good quality clinicals but keep in mind that Drexel's clinical experience is LCME accredited and their standards are much more rigorous then the AOA's. I have also heard that NYCOM reserves it's good clinical spots for students that perform well in the first two years and there are plenty of subpar sites that NYCOM students must rotate through. Lastly, and most importantly, when you go to medical school you are not just getting an education you are also purchasing a degree. I dont want to get into a whole DO vs MD debate but the fact is an MD will open up some doors that are closed to a DO (especially now as the match is increasingly competitive) and since they are the same price you really should choose Drexel.

This is probably not a piece of useful advice. DO and MD degrees being the same "cost," therefore you should choose the MD school? There are many reasons drexel might be the better option, this NOT being one of them...I understand what you're trying to say but I think the OP has general concerns that make him/her weary of attending drexel, and by this I mean if it was that clear cut for the OP then the question wouldn't have been asked in the first place. For the OP this is clearly not a DO/MD debate as much as it is a best fit debate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out in the real world getting an MD instead of a DO is going to make your life a lot easier. And that isn't even including residency selection where having a DO will make it almost impossible to match in a number of fields (in a lot of fields the DO residencies are very poor and your chance at an MD residency is very low). Plus worst case scenario, you could set up away rotations 4th year at other LCME schools and fill in any gaps you've found in your clinical education. The fact that it is LCME accredited means that they have to have cleared a lot of bars with regards to their training.

id go with drexel....never been to either school, but id rather get the MD than the DO (especially if i had the choice). It's a personal thing for me, and everyone is different. From what I heard MD=DO in every aspect once you are practicing. :luck:

Stop turning this into a MD vs DO debate.

I chose NYCOM - my biggest criteria? Location (close to home) and Clinical sites (wide variety, busy urban hospitals, etc). I also found everyone on campus to be nice and more than helpful (I work at NYCOM as well) and the students seem generally happy, imho.

Stop turning this into a MD vs DO debate.

I chose NYCOM - my biggest criteria? Location (close to home) and Clinical sites (wide variety, busy urban hospitals, etc). I also found everyone on campus to be nice and more than helpful (I work at NYCOM as well) and the students seem generally happy, imho.

It is difficult to compare an MD and DO school without that being discussed. It is a HUGE difference between the two. That difference and what it means needs to be discussed to make a truly informed decision. Whatever the OP decides it should be based having the full debate not the politically correct one.

Stop turning this into a MD vs DO debate

inevitable...like I said, most people will not care if you are an MD or a DO. I realize this and I think the OP also realizes this (or it would be a no brainer).

It is difficult to compare an MD and DO school without that being discussed. It is a HUGE difference between the two. That difference and what it means needs to be discussed to make a truly informed decision. Whatever the OP decides it should be based having the full debate not the politically correct one.

I don't think it needs to be discussed - the OP would not be considering NYCOM over Drexel to begin with if he wasn't fine with becoming a DO.

I don't think it needs to be discussed - the OP would not be considering NYCOM over Drexel to begin with if he wasn't fine with becoming a DO.

But is he fine with it through rigorous research or just because it gave him the warm and fuzzies and he liked the platitudes he read in the NYCOM brochure? I don't know this and neither do you. In practice there is very little difference between MD and DO so if he is going into this with the mentality that he will be providing a more patient-centered breed of medicine by pursueing the DO then again the debate must occur. If all he cares about are clinical rotations between the two he can gloss over the usual debate and read the pertinent information.

But is he fine with it through rigorous research or just because it gave him the warm and fuzzies and he liked the platitudes he read in the NYCOM brochure? I don't know this and neither do you. In practice there is very little difference between MD and DO so if he is going into this with the mentality that he will be providing a more patient-centered breed of medicine by pursueing the DO then again the debate must occur. If all he cares about are clinical rotations between the two he can gloss over the usual debate and read the pertinent information.

Did you bother to read what the OP said? They said clinical training was the most important to them, followed by curriculum, location, etc. So your question was already answered, huh?

Did you bother to read what the OP said? They said clinical training was the most important to them, followed by curriculum, location, etc. So your question was already answered, huh?

Your sarcasm does not serve you well. Good day to ma'am good day.

Go to NYCOM. There are plenty of people in the Drexel thread who would do unspeakable things for your seat, and they know for sure they want to be there.

Drexel Med Class of 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.