DREXEL DPMS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone apply to the Drexel IMS program this year? Curious to hear what people's opinions are about it
Same! I'm wondering if it's really competitive and if they accept students who have lower than an mcat in the 70th percentile

Members don't see this ad.

Same! I'm wondering if it's really competitive and if they accept students who have lower than an mcat in the 70th percentile
There isn't a whole lot of info on their website, and I'm curious about student outcomes and class size stuff

submitted and completed 2/7. crossing my fingers!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how important are the letters of rec? im a non traditional student and I am having issues finding letter writers. I can get other letter writers such as the Chair of Anesthesia at my hospital, but finding academic (Bio/Chem/Phys) letter writers has been difficult.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how important are the letters of rec? im a non traditional student and I am having issues finding letter writers. I can get other letter writers such as the Chair of Anesthesia at my hospital, but finding academic (Bio/Chem/Phys) letter writers has been difficult.
I am non-trad also, and I sent an email with the same concern. I had 2 science professors, but not one from a non-science. And i asked if there could be an exception bc i had several other LORs from other extracurricular activities. This is the response that I received. "Please be advised that your application is reviewed by the admissions committee at the college of medicine for a provisional acceptance into the medical school. DPMS is a very competitive program and you will compete against the other applicants for the seats in this program. I would advise doing your best to get letters that fulfill the admissions requirements for the program. If you have any questions, please contact our office at [email protected]"

So I basically did a deep dive of professors that might randomly be able to write one for me. I begged and explain my situation. I ended up reaching out to a professor from many, many years ago, and she said yes. So my answer to you is to just beg. My prof ended up remembering me, so it worked out well.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi I completed my application last week! Around 02/08.
MCAT: 497
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 2.7

Let's see what happens!

Reactions: 6 users
I have everything submitted except for my MCAT since I take it in March... should I be okay to still have a chance of acceptance or is that too late? it would be nice to hear from any past DPMSers who also submitted their complete application late!

I have everything submitted except for my MCAT since I take it in March... should I be okay to still have a chance of acceptance or is that too late? it would be nice to hear from any past DPMSers who also submitted their complete application late!
you'll be fine, DPMS doesn't do rolling admission all the acceptances go out at the same time in May

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you have your MCAT score by April 30th then you will be okay

Do any of you know when we start hearing back?
I think we should expect to hear back in April tbh. I know the timeline says March they start sending interview invites but the majority of us will prob hear somethingback in April. I know it sucks!

Question: Did you guys put your last employer or all of your recent employers? I only put the last one, which is my current one, because that is technically what it says.
Also, some have been discussing that they put AMCAS-style descriptions on their resume for their activities. I didn't do that, but now I feel like I missed that opportunity. Might ask to send a supplemental document.
What did you guys do? I already submitted my application.

Question: Did you guys put your last employer or all of your recent employers? I only put the last one, which is my current one, because that is technically what it says.
Also, some have been discussing that they put AMCAS-style descriptions on their resume for their activities. I didn't do that, but now I feel like I missed that opportunity. Might ask to send a supplemental document.
I'm in the same boat tbh. It asked just for professional experience so all I put was my last employer which is where my clinical experience is from. I didn't think to write it how the AMCAS asked for it or include any other activities since I had uploaded my CV. Not sure if it was the right or wrong move lol

Reactions: 2 users
I did the exact same thing you did. I put my current employer, and I actually copied and pasted the description I have on my resume onto the description there... oops I also already submitted

I'm in the same boat tbh. It asked just for professional experience so all I put was my last employer which is where my clinical experience is from. I didn't think to write it how the AMCAS asked for it or include any other activities since I had uploaded my CV. Not sure if it was the right or wrong move lol
saaaame

Same. Only submitted my resume.

There isn't a whole lot of info on their website, and I'm curious about student outcomes and class size stuff
Hi! So I actually knew some of the IMS from the 2019-2020 cohort, and as far as I can remember they had a lot of overlapping coursework with DPMS. I believe they took a humanities based course in the Fall as a part of the course, which DPMS students did not take. One benefit of that program is that the cohort is super small (~12 people total) so that can allow for a greater sense of community. It seemed tougher than DPMS, but I believe at least 2 people from the cohort during my DPMS year matriculated.

Hope this helps!

Hello, I'm just now starting on the application. Do we have to send in both official and unofficial transcripts? Kinda confused on the section on the app where it mentions transcripts...

Hello, I'm just now starting on the application. Do we have to send in both official and unofficial transcripts? Kinda confused on the section on the app where it mentions transcripts..
I sent in both!

Hey y’all! I’m also applying this year.
My stats are: 499 MCAT, 3.4 ugpa, 3.2 sgpa.

Hopefully they get back to us earlier in March rather than later.
Good luck to everyone!

Hi guys, does anyone know if DPMS will be online/virtual this year? Have you heard anything from the information sessions they have?

Hi guys, does anyone know if DPMS will be online/virtual this year? Have you heard anything from the information sessions they have?
I believe their intentions are to have in-person learning. But they wanted to be sure to leave things open-ended enough, considering the changing nature of the pandemic. This is what I personally gathered from the information session. They are having another one soon if you wanted to get an answer from them directly :)

I believe their intentions are to have in-person learning. But they wanted to be sure to leave things open-ended enough, considering the changing nature of the pandemic. This is what I personally gathered from the information session. They are having another one soon if you wanted to get an answer from them directly :)
Thanks @Allyssa411 !! I know it's not published on their website so I'm curious.

Also, do you know if accepted DPMS students will matriculate into the college of medicine at west reading campus or the traditional campus in philly? anybody know?

I believe that is decided the year you enter just like the normal MD admissions cycle. The MD info session said you can make a top choice request, but nothing more. Seats are far more limited at Reading, of course.

I believe that is decided the year you enter just like the normal MD admissions cycle. The MD info session said you can make a top choice request, but nothing more. Seats are far more limited at Reading, of course.
Nice, thanks for the info!

What's the difference between the two campuses?

What's the difference between the two campuses?
Quite a lot. But nothing in terms of curriculum or services provided. More so the differences in the community-setting the campuses are located. There will be different opportunities to reach different subset populations. Also, the Reading campus has a new state-of-the-art hospital and several other features. Definitely worth researching on the website to get a better idea.

Reactions: 2 users
do any past DMPSers have any input of if you liked being in the track you were in? (track 1vs 2). I've heard from both sides the pros and cons of each track I think this is just more for me to feel not as bad if i have to retake the mcat and take an mcat course compared to the 3 pass/fail classes that are difficult lol

Also! Has anyone heard about how the exams in the program are structured/ formatted as well as how the classes are taught? mult choice, short answer? backwards class settings?

do any past DMPSers have any input of if you liked being in the track you were in? (track 1vs 2). I've heard from both sides the pros and cons of each track I think this is just more for me to feel not as bad if i have to retake the mcat and take an mcat course compared to the 3 pass/fail classes that are difficult lol
What pros and cons have you heard about the MCAT course? I just ask because if accepted, I would be in the same boat as you.

What pros and cons have you heard about the MCAT course? I just ask because if accepted, I would be in the same boat as you.
Just that if the Track 1 people end up getting the score they need in January they still have to be in the course. but lots of tack 1 people I have talked to said they would prefer the course than the three pass fails classes

Just that if the Track 1 people end up getting the score they need in January they still have to be in the course. but lots of tack 1 people I have talked to said they would prefer the course than the three pass fails classes
Ok, thank you!

Heyo! Current med student and DPMSer(track 2) from last year. I would say they both have their pros/cons and are fairly equal in terms of issues. For example, track 2 has the extra courses throughout the whole year so during the beginning of the fall when track 1 isn't studying as much for the MCAT ,track 2 usually had a little more work. Additionally if you get the MCAT score needed first try, your spring semester is lighter than track 2. However, track 1 basically doesn't get a winter break since they have to study for the MCAT, while track 2 gets to rest. Additionally if you don't get the score the first time around, you have to study for it again during the spring semester. I personally felt like one wasn't worst than the other, but that is just me.

Reactions: 3 users
Hmm... got an email from Drexel saying that the adcom "agreed that the IHS Program best fits my application". The email didn't reference my app to DPMS specifically, it just said "in reference to my app to the SMP at DUCoM". I also have an outstanding app to the IMS program... Not sure how to interpret this one and I'd hate to think I'm already out the race for DPMS. I already emailed and I haven't gotten a reply yet. Any thoughts?

Hmm... got an email from Drexel saying that the adcom "agreed that the IHS Program best fits my application". The email didn't reference my app to DPMS specifically, it just said "in reference to my app to the SMP at DUCoM". I also have an outstanding app to the IMS program... Not sure how to interpret this one and I'd hate to think I'm already out the race for DPMS. I already emailed and I haven't gotten a reply yet. Any thoughts?
how many programs did you apply to? It's interesting you got that feedback. Your best bet is hoping to get communication from the programs themselves so that they can validate what is ultimately best for you!

That's a pretty quick response considering March started yesterday. Have you looked at the portal to see if your status has changed at all? Also, when did you submit everything

I have to agree with the responses you've already gotten and say reach out directly. Their website says:
  • Applicants who have been evaluated by the College of Medicine and are no longer being considered for the Drexel Pathway to Medical School program may be referred to other pre-medical and pre-health programs.
Considering their email didn't include a rejection, I wouldn't assume you're out of the running for DPMS.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I still haven't gotten response from Drexel via email yet; however, I have to assume this may have been in reference to my IMS application. My DPMS application still says complete and under review and I don't know that they've started reviewing and responding to DPMS apps yet. Fingers crossed, thanks again!

Reactions: 3 users
I applied to medical school this past cycle. I've been waitlisted at 4 programs post-interview and at an additional 5 programs pre-interview, including Drexel. I've been accepted to St. George's University (SGU - Grenada/Caribbean) for Fall 2021. However, I just found out about this program and believe it is worth the investment. I'll be submitting my application by the end of the month.

Undergrad GPA: 2.6
Grad GPA: 3.6 (MS/MBA)
MCAT: 509 (128/127/127/127)

It would seem that you are no longer being considered for the DPMS program. Scroll down to DPMS admissions timeline - 2021

Do you mind sharing when you applied to the programs, so we can get an idea for how quickly they're moving?

Do you mind sharing when you applied to the programs, so we can get an idea for how quickly they're moving?
Submitted in January, have not received an update. I would say to just continue to monitor the portal and watch for any emails that come your way.

I submitted on 10/30/20. To clarify, I’m still being considered for the DPMS Program. The person who told me about my IHS referral also happens to the person I was corresponding with about DPMS so it caused some confusion. In other news, I was told in an email that I received yesterday that they have not started reviewing DPMS applications at all yet and they will be starting “soon”.