DPMS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How often are tests administered on a weekly basis? Wondering because if accepted I might live in jersey (due to cost) and was wondering how often I would have to commute.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for a piece of advice. I have been accepted to a DO program, but I am not sure if I feel ready to tackle med school curriculum just yet, would you guys recommend going into DPMS or GEMS program in that case or go right in to med school

Congrats for your DO acceptance! You’re in an exciting and scary situation. I can tell you that many of us would love to be in your shoes of having a choice. However, with that being said, this situation is honestly something that only you can decide. I actually talked about this sort of situation with the DPMS director, and she said to ask yourself if you are the type who is a fore-thinker or post-thinker. Depending on the type you are, her suggestion is a little different.

If you are a fore-thinker, then loading up with all the information before hand to make an informed decision is her suggestion. That means researching your program and its community, curriculum, and available resources to you as well as how well you will fit in. I also suggest doing a comprehensive cost-benefit analysis outlying the pros & cons for each situation. You will definitely be better prepared for performing well at Med school if you do a program like DPMS , but remember it comes with a gamble of sorts. Not everyone makes it through, but if you do, you’re in a MD program. All in all, with forethought you can see how much you can possibly get out of the program and how you can find ways to attain academic success to calm your anxieties.

If you are a post-thinker, try to think of as many possible self-doubt inducing behaviors, thoughts, and actions that usually comes up after a decision has been made and address them by asking the administration and current students. I can imagine you not wanting to make a bad decision that will lead to regret, and that’s very normal. Your feelings right now actually are what is going to propel you to success because you can plan on what you’ll do if anything arises, both bad and good.

At the end of the day, my largest piece of advice comes from Nike. They’re famous for saying ,”just do it,” but I like,”it’s only crazy until you do it,” way more. Have fun with this and be as proactive as you can be. You’ll make the right decision for you.

How often are tests administered on a weekly basis? Wondering because if accepted I might live in jersey (due to cost) and was wondering how often I would have to commute.

Tests are once every 2-3 weeks, and in the fall semester you’ll be going to lab at least once a week almost for microanatomy. In the spring you’ll have mandatory attendance for the medical professionalism class up to twice a week. Also, depending on the track you’re in, you’ll also be coming to school for the track 2 classes or for the track 1 MCAT prep course. You would be commuting often if you are in DPMS.

With that being said, there are a ton of places in Philly that are budget friendly. I suggest using a realtor to help you search for a place because they’re free to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@bob_boy @SparklesDuWang For the people who won't matriculate into the medical school, do they find out in the first or second semester for the most part? I'm asking because if someone found out that they wouldn't make it in the first semester, they wouldn't have to pay tuition for the second semester, which wouldn't be too bad.

Also, do the people who won't matriculate into the med school stay in the program for the MS degree? Or do they just leave as soon as they find out they won't make it? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to say between 8-12 people, leaning on the lower side. I was in the afternoon group and there was another 8-12 in the morning.
Hey, since you were interviewed can you give any pointers on how to prepare for the interview. Also, did you get a tour?

I don’t recommend commuting. Someone tried to do this for the first month (from Jersey) and they said it was pretty bad. The last thing you want to do is get in this program and not matriculate because you had to commute/didn’t have the right study space. The program director actually talked the student out of commuting and to find an apartment. It sucks cause of costs, but you might want to seclude yourself DPMS year.

Looking for a piece of advice. I have been accepted to a DO program, but I am not sure if I feel ready to tackle med school curriculum just yet, would you guys recommend going into DPMS or GEMS program in that case or go right in to med school

This is hard honestly. But being in med school is personally more stable than and a sure think unlike taking a gamble on DPMS and being one of the 50-60% who makes it. DPMS should be used as a last resort in my opinion. It’s really expensive. You should look at costs and also think about your timeline (ie are you willing to wait an extra year, possibly more if you don’t matriculate). But at the end of the day it’s what you do think will be best for your academic future.

@bob_boy @SparklesDuWang For the people who won't matriculate into the medical school, do they find out in the first or second semester for the most part? I'm asking because if someone found out that they wouldn't make it in the first semester, they wouldn't have to pay tuition for the second semester, which wouldn't be too bad.

Also, do the people who won't matriculate into the med school stay in the program for the MS degree? Or do they just leave as soon as they find out they won't make it? Thanks in advance!

It really depends on the case. If it’s MCAT, you won’t know until late April. Some people in November knew they wouldn’t make it and dropped out or switch programs. Others didn’t know until January or even last week. Some leave, most transfer to another program within Drexel, and some stay on for the masters degree. I know the two who completely left is because they decided to go to nursing school instead. The program director works with you to give you your options and make sure to help you meet your career goals!

Hey, since you were interviewed can you give any pointers on how to prepare for the interview. Also, did you get a tour?
We were given a tour of the queens lane campus. My interviewer just read very standard interview questions down a list, jotted the answers, and that was it. Not sure how you can prepare other than googling standard interview questions and reading some from sdn.

so no interview invitation since 4/23 according to this thread, but 500 applications were in the last week of April... I am confused and neurotic now. at least it seemed they extended interviews every week until the second or the third week in May last year. Anyone knows what is going on with the admission team?

If you happen to finish the program but do not matriculate, what masters degree do you get? I was under the impression you don't finish with a legitimate masters since this program offers conditional acceptance.

so no interview invitation since 4/23 according to this thread, but 500 applications were in the last week of April... I am confused and neurotic now. at least it seemed they extended interviews every week until the second or the third week in May last year. Anyone knows what is going on with the admission team?

They have been extending interviews. Maybe people just haven’t been posting it or not on SDN. I know someone who applied the last day this year and got an interview. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you happen to finish the program but do not matriculate, what masters degree do you get? I was under the impression you don't finish with a legitimate masters since this program offers conditional acceptance.

Masters of science in biomedical science. As long as you have above 3.0 you can get the masters

They have been extending interviews. Maybe people just haven’t been posting it or not on SDN. I know someone who applied the last day this year and got an interview. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As in they applied and were complete on 5/1/19 and got an interview? Do you happen to know when? Also, any idea when they likely would stop extending them? Thanks!

Masters of science in biomedical science. As long as you have above 3.0 you can get the masters
do you mean they got interview early this week? because i remember someone posted that the admission team was dealing with current DPMSers' graduation and no ii was extended last week

Well, that’s a very good question. What Bob_boy said is true, and I’d like to add some things.

The point at which people find out that they’re not making contract is literally at any time of the year. The circumstances that Bob_boy said are all legitimate reasons that people have not made contract. I can tell you whatever the situation or time frame, the faculty and staff will do their best to make sure that your next steps are the ones best to make your plans a reality. They will sit down with you and plan everything and will write recommendation letters and introduce you to the people that need it best.

Also most people who don’t make contract but do get a masters do typically matriculate into medical school the next year or soon after. I’ve heard of this happening a lot with those who didn’t make it.

Will the committee be meeting next week to discuss the applicants who interviewed? I’m going nuts checking my email lol I’ve started running to keep my mind off it :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
As in they applied and were complete on 5/1/19 and got an interview? Do you happen to know when? Also, any idea when they likely would stop extending them? Thanks!

Yes they completed on 5/1/19 and got an interview for 5/15 (which is not an original interview date. It was added by the admissions committee to accommodate more interviews. I confirmed with administration). I have no idea when they will stop extending them. My guess is next week but I’m not sure. This is under the medical school not the graduate school. So while they are busy with graduation, the admission committee is devoting their time to this.

do you mean they got interview early this week? because i remember someone posted that the admission team was dealing with current DPMSers' graduation and no ii was extended last week

The admission team does not deal with DPMS graduation. They were dealing with current DPMS who matriculate but when I spoke to someone on the admission committee I was told it was straight forward and doesn’t take much time. They got an interview invite on Monday I believe for the 15th. They messaged me about it and told me they submitted on 5/1 because that’s when their mcat when in.

When I’m on campus today I can try to ask until when they will reach send out invites And when the admissions committee will send out notice.

Will the committee be meeting next week to discuss the applicants who interviewed? I’m going nuts checking my email lol I’ve started running to keep my mind off it :rofl:

I don’t really know when you’ll hear back and I’ve been in your shoes. I’ll say stay busy. I know it’s hard. For me I found a hobby or something to keep my mind active because I was going insane checking my email! Especially since they don’t go by the dates on the website!

@bob_boy Do you think people who interview on 5/13 will be evaluated in the first group or the second?

@bob_boy Do you think people who interview on 5/13 will be evaluated in the first group or the second?

I think the second group, which means you might not hear back until mid June. I will try to meet with someone today and get insight on this. Hopefully they’re there today!

Reactions: 1 users
I think the second group, which means you might not hear back until mid June. I will try to meet with someone today and get insight on this. Hopefully they’re there today!

If you could also ask when the first interview group might hear back that would great :)

My Application was fully completed on 5/1/19 and I was invited to an interview less than a week later.

I was complete 3/30 and no word... do I abandon ship?

No one could answer that but the admissions committee but I recommend keeping your head up and maybe shooting a quick email or perhaps a call to ask about the status of your application.

I think the “hope for the best but expect the worst” type of thinking is the best for situations like this where you don’t have much control over the outcome. Between those who have had an interview or not, I think the best way to go is to act like you won’t get in, and prepare your alternatives accordingly. That way if you do get it, it’ll be a nice surprise and you might actually have other options. If you don’t get it, you would have beeen ahead of those who waited to hear back before deciding what to do.

This applies to everyone: Good luck! Medical school applications (and programs such as these) are unpredictable, but keep your head up and remember that this program doesn’t define you. If you truly want to become a doctor (for the right reasons), I believe you’ll find a way to get there. I’ll meet you all at the top!

Reactions: 7 users
We were given a tour of the queens lane campus. My interviewer just read very standard interview questions down a list, jotted the answers, and that was it. Not sure how you can prepare other than googling standard interview questions and reading some from sdn.

Ok. Thanks, good to know. Also, was the interview blind or were you asked about specific things in your application

Hey y’all!

I know the waiting is not fun at all and nerve wracking, but hold your chins up!

I heard some information that I think some of you will like to hear. For those of you who have or will interview, decisions won’t be made until every interview is conducted this year, which is great so that everyone can have the best opportunity to get admitted. That being said, decisions may not come out until the beginning of June and the latest by end of the second full week of June. With that being said, please use this time to continue your activities and do things that make you feel good. Remember self-care is important during these crazy times, and only you know what is something that will give you some happiness. You deserve it, so treat yourself!

Hope this helps give some insight on time for y’all! Good luck!

Otherwise, I’ll just add my thoughts on 2 things I read.

No one could answer that but the admissions committee but I recommend keeping your head up and maybe shooting a quick email or perhaps a call to ask about the status of your application.

I think the “hope for the best but expect the worst” type of thinking is the best for situations like this where you don’t have much control over the outcome. Between those who have had an interview or not, I think the best way to go is to act like you won’t get in, and prepare your alternatives accordingly. That way if you do get it, it’ll be a nice surprise and you might actually have other options. If you don’t get it, you would have beeen ahead of those who waited to hear back before deciding what to do.

This applies to everyone: Good luck! Medical school applications (and programs such as these) are unpredictable, but keep your head up and remember that this program doesn’t define you. If you truly want to become a doctor (for the right reasons), I believe you’ll find a way to get there. I’ll meet you all at the top!

I couldn’t have answered any better! This is great way to go forward, which is how I went about my whole application cycle. Great job @Raito Medical !

Ok. Thanks, good to know. Also, was the interview blind or were you asked about specific things in your application

The interviews with the faculty is open. They will know your history and everything, and they will ask questions to supplement that information. Plus they want to see that you’re a well-rounded person with good habits in place that will allow you the utmost success in the program when things get rough.

Hey y’all!

I know the waiting is not fun at all and nerve wracking, but hold your chins up!

I heard some information that I think some of you will like to hear. For those of you who have or will interview, decisions won’t be made until every interview is conducted this year, which is great so that everyone can have the best opportunity to get admitted. That being said, decisions may not come out until the beginning of June and the latest by end of the second full week of June. With that being said, please use this time to continue your activities and do things that make you feel good. Remember self-care is important during these crazy times, and only you know what is something that will give you some happiness. You deserve it, so treat yourself!

Hope this helps give some insight on time for y’all! Good luck!

Otherwise, I’ll just add my thoughts on 2 things I read.

I couldn’t have answered any better! This is great way to go forward, which is how I went about my whole application cycle. Great job @Raito Medical !

The interviews with the faculty is open. They will know your history and everything, and they will ask questions to supplement that information. Plus they want to see that you’re a well-rounded person with good habits in place that will allow you the utmost success in the program when things get rough.
Thank you for updating us on the process!

Hey all! So I interviewed today and something interesting was said. Kelly Kennedy, I believe, said the committee was going to meet on the 23rd (or 24th I don’t recall) and that they were going to try to have emails sent out on the Monday after. While this timeline may not be fully stuck to, this is definitely reassuring!

Last edited:
Looks like @SparklesDuWang beat me to the punch! But I believe the last interview is on May 20th. Not sure if they added anymore or if they’re extending anymore dates. That being said it was stressed that no decisions will be released until after the 23rd ar

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys think they won't meet and make a decision by the 24th? I was just looking at old message boards and it usually has been that Friday before memorial day.

Do you guys think they won't meet and make a decision by the 24th? I was just looking at old message boards and it usually has been that Friday before memorial day.

I've also been looking at old message boards and that seems to be the trend.

This year seems to be running a little differently, maybe due to the new director, but I’ll say that it’s a possibility, but I’d just go by what Bob_boy and I said as a general rule of thumb. Hopefully it’ll be before then, but only time will tell. Until then, enjoy yourself as much as you can

Reactions: 4 users
No matter what happens, may be one day we will all be colleagues :)

Spoke to bathe program director today, it seemed like they’re going to release the first round of admission after she gets some things together. She was off on holiday and there’s a couple of things they need to do before putting together acceptance letters. She gave no sense of timeline, so I recommend just hanging in there.

Reactions: 4 users
R they done sending IIs....?

R they done sending IIs....?

Unclear but I don’t think so because the last day of interview is May 20th. I can try to inquire tomorrow

@bob_boy & @SparklesDuWang Do you know if the acceptance offers for Track 1 and Track 2 is split down the middle? Or is there a preference for Track 2?

This year it was pretty 50/50. I don’t think they have a preference for Track 2 at all. I think they’re just going to try to pick their top 40 candidates of those who interviewed

Unclear but I don’t think so because the last day of interview is May 20th. I can try to inquire tomorrow

But today is 14th so thats why I was wondering if they still do. If you can ask and tell me, i will greatly appreciate it

are they still giving out track 1 or are only track 2s left? id definietly would be a track 1

@bob_boy & @SparklesDuWang Do you know if the acceptance offers for Track 1 and Track 2 is split down the middle? Or is there a preference for Track 2?

After asking previous year’s DPMS students, it’s seems like it’s typically been 50/50 split down the middle between track 1 and track 2. This year we were told directly by our director during our orientation that it was split as close to 50/50 as possible.

I would take it that there’s no preferences if possible. I’m sure DPMS would like to offer equal opportunities and acceptances to every applicant that the admission committee feels like would create a class with the highest chances of success and cohesion.

are they still giving out track 1 or are only track 2s left? id definietly would be a track 1

No acceptances have been given out yet so all track 1 and track 2 spots are empty as of this moment. Good luck though!

Last edited:
I just spoke to adcom, they said that if you haven’t been invited for an interview at this point then you can basically kiss your chances goodbye lol

• Sad
My portal updated today and I was rejected post II. Good luck to everyone else! I'm wishing you all the best of luck!!

My portal updated today and I was rejected post II. Good luck to everyone else! I'm wishing you all the best of luck!!
Wishing you the best as well! Could you tell us when were you interviewed?

Did you receive an email telling you something changed in your portal or were you just looking out of curiosity?

I wish you all the luck in your future endeavors!

Wishing you the best as well! Could you tell us when were you interviewed?
I interviewed May 2nd!

Did you receive an email telling you something changed in your portal or were you just looking out of curiosity?

I wish you all the luck in your future endeavors!

Thank you! I was just checking out of curiosity. I haven't received any emails from them.

Also just got an acceptance email!!