DPMS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anyone else applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
DPMS is at Drexel Univ. And I’m reapplying here, new essays a couple experiences and hopefully better interview skills :/

Members don't see this ad :)
@nimitz you applied last cycle? Do their essay questions always remain the same?

Essays are the same between this year and last year. It’s basically just open ended, “why DPMS?” and “why medicine?”

Truly hoping that I get into this program. Taking the MCAT in the new year.

Reactions: 1 user
DPMS is at Drexel Univ. And I’m reapplying here, new essays a couple experiences and hopefully better interview skills :/
same, hoping for the best

Best of luck to us both @skai. Did you reach out to the adcoms after your last app? I tried but didn’t have much luck.

Best of luck to us both @skai. Did you reach out to the adcoms after your last app? I tried but didn’t have much luck.
i didn't really have a reason to do so, why?

i didn't really have a reason to do so, why?
Since you’d applied bedore(correct me if I misread?), I was curious if you tried to get feedback from them on your app. I had tried but didn’t hear anything.

Since you’d applied bedore(correct me if I misread?), I was curious if you tried to get feedback from them on your app. I had tried but didn’t hear anything.
No I didn’t, I already knew what parts I had to work on, my only concern for this cycle is that my advisor retired so I’m currently one rec short

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other SMP you all are thinking about applying to? Drexel is the cheapest one I found. Please lmk if there is any other cheaper ones

Hey guys, I applied for the 2018-2019 session and I got into DPMS. Just wanted to give you guys some advice since I know how annoying the application process is and the lack of information.

First of all, from what I can tell, the program takes people with high GPA/low MCAT or low GPA/ high MCAT. I was the later. There is not a single person in the program that has a low stat in both.
Do you know the average mcat score of your class? I know the website says 495 as a baseline but it would be nice to know what they really are looking for... also if you could maybe tell us about your experience so far that would be awesome :)

Reactions: 1 users
Any other SMP you all are thinking about applying to? Drexel is the cheapest one I found. Please lmk if there is any other cheaper ones
Georgetown GEMS, Wake Forest's Master's, Michigan State ABLE, OSU Medpath

The average MCAT score seems to be about 508 for track 2 (the one that doesn't have to retake the MCAT) and about 490ish for track 1 which are for the people who have to retake the MCAT. My experience so far has been good, but the program is very rigorous. Studying is literally my full time job. But every one is super supportive and the program director, Dr. Nunez, is amazing. However, the matriculation rate in the past years was about 60% and unfortunately it seems like that might be the case for this year too. However, don't let that deter you from applying if you think that you can succeed in the program.
So there isn’t a guaranteed acceptance into their med school upon completion of the program? (and doing well of course) I thought you sign some contract saying you agree not to apply to any other med school during the program?

So there isn’t a guaranteed acceptance into their med school upon completion of the program? (and doing well of course) I thought you sign some contract saying you agree not to apply to any other med school during the program?

The contract exists but you need a 3.2, nothing less (not even a decimal), for the acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

However, the matriculation rate in the past years was about 60% and unfortunately it seems like that might be the case for this year too.

It's that bad? From prior threads, it seems like the MCAT was the biggest reason that people don't make contract, but you don't take the MCAT until January. So that means that a bunch of people have already dropped the program because the classes were too difficult?

It's that bad? From prior threads, it seems like the MCAT was the biggest reason that people don't make contract, but you don't take the MCAT until January. So that means that a bunch of people have already dropped the program because the classes were too difficult?

So you have to re-take the MCAT by January? So if you got accepted to the program with a low MCAT score, they give you till January to retake it not after that?

I’m also a DPMSer! The people who have dropped so far was because they were doing poorly I’m one course. However, it is totally doable and the staff wants you to succeed. Track 1 doesn’t take the MCAT until the 3rd week in January or so. If they don’t make the score the first time they can retake in March.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

I’m also a DPMSer! The people who have dropped so far was because they were doing poorly I’m one course. However, it is totally doable and the staff wants you to succeed. Track 1 doesn’t take the MCAT until the 3rd week in January or so. If they don’t make the score the first time they can retake in March.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Thank you so much! Do you mind sharing how hard the classes were? like what was the hardest class? what was the average in these classes? And what do you think is a good time to submit my application?

i’m doing research to apply next cycle. i’m going to have around a 2.9 GPA and a 3.6 science GPA. i am a licensed EMT, volunteer weekly and have started a medically related non profit. i am a black female from philadelphia.

do you think i have a shot at getting into DPMS?

Hi Guys, I think I may be applying to this as well this year! For those of you who are unaware, Drexel is having a virtual information session about the grad programs and giving a fee waiver of some sort (hopefully for an application or something) for watching the session. It starts at 11 ET today 1/10/18!

My MCAT is scheduled for April but my scores wont come out until May 14th and the deadline to turn in all materials is May 1st. Should I move up my MCAT or just consider other SMPs/PBs? I'm the average applicant, 3.0x gpa and excellent EC's. Also any other suggestions for SMPs/PBs with linkage??

Thank you so much! Do you mind sharing how hard the classes were? like what was the hardest class? what was the average in these classes? And what do you think is a good time to submit my application?

The classes definitely require a lot of work and time. I think they’re really doable but I put in a lot of time studying (12 hours a day). If you put in the time and work, you’ll do great. I ended with a strong GPA and pretty much know I’ll make contract which makes spring easier.

Professors like the average to be around an 85, and they were usually around there last semester with an exception on a few tests. Biochem might have been my easiest class but most find it the hardest. Physio tests tend to be the hardest and microanatomy tends to be hard for some people because it’s a lot of information at a fast pace which most people are not used to.

I applied in February but I also know people who didn’t submit until the week of the deadline. The earlier you submit, the earlier they review your application and can grant you an interview.

The classes definitely require a lot of work and time. I think they’re really doable but I put in a lot of time studying (12 hours a day). If you put in the time and work, you’ll do great. I ended with a strong GPA and pretty much know I’ll make contract which makes spring easier.

Professors like the average to be around an 85, and they were usually around there last semester with an exception on a few tests. Biochem might have been my easiest class but most find it the hardest. Physio tests tend to be the hardest and microanatomy tends to be hard for some people because it’s a lot of information at a fast pace which most people are not used to.

I applied in February but I also know people who didn’t submit until the week of the deadline. The earlier you submit, the earlier they review your application and can grant you an interview.

It is possible to do a one day volunteer during the program year?

The main class that people seem to have difficulty with is biochemistry. There are people who struggle with it and there are those who dont. Personally, I think that the classes are fair, they are difficult, but that is to be expected in a program that prepares you for medical school. But yes, about 7 people have withdrew because they were not doing well in either just biochemistry or in more than one class. The people who have to retake the MCAT are just about to take their MCAT soon, so I can't say that MCAT is the cause of people not making it in the program.
Will the program receive any mcat score before marteiculation or it has to be taken on a designated date?

Will the program receive any mcat score before marteiculation or it has to be taken on a designated date?
Probably not, in the fall definitely not. The spring and summer maybe. But the fall is so stressful thaf you rarely have days you don’t study. The program really wants you to focus on classes and making contract. So they advise against working or doing volunteer work and research during your DPMS year. In fact, one person was working and had a difficult time managing school work, life and job. This person also dropped the program though I’m not sure if it’s academic. Plus you have your med school years to do that. It’s better to just focus on studying and making contract that year

To apply you need an MCAT score sent to the program before the deadline. If you’re in track 1 and need to retake the mcat, they need a score before deciding whether you matriculate into the med school. Track 1 just took their mcat yesterday. They will get their scores in a month and if it’s not the score they need to make contract they have to retake it in March so they can have scores in by April

Hi, I am thinking about applying to this program, but just wanted to get any info on anyone who has been accepted/currently in the program for DPMS. I am currently retaking/taking some of my pre-med courses as well as upper level classes and in a master's program for health administration. I am also planning to retake the MCAT this year. Can anyone who has been accepted/currently in this program please share their stats ( if you don't mind), and expectations in this program ?

Do they go through every single application or screen applications based on MCAT/GPA? @bob_boy and other DPMSers

Do they go through every single application or screen applications based on MCAT/GPA? @bob_boy and other DPMSers

My understanding is that they look at your entire application. What they care the most about is your DPMS essay and your personal statement. They get about 600-700 applications and start reviewing as early as February and in the order they get them. They don't start granting interview until Mid to late April, so if you submit now you will not hear back until then

My understanding is that they look at your entire application. What they care the most about is your DPMS essay and your personal statement. They get about 600-700 applications and start reviewing as early as February and in the order they get them. They don't start granting interview until Mid to late April, so if you submit now you will not hear back until then
Should the resume that they ask for, be an one page resume or like a CV with everything that one did throughout college?

So you think it would be in our best interest to submit the app as early as possible or take a little time to gather everything together?

Hey I'm also in DPMS this year. I applied on the very last possible day, so if you need more time to get your app ready then do it.

Should the resume that they ask for, be an one page resume or like a CV with everything that one did throughout college?

Mine was a page and a half, I did a resume and not a CV. I would say put as much that highlights any revelant skills. If you have a lot of things then a CV might be best.

Also take your time putting this together. They will review all applications as long as they’re turned in before the deadline. Don’t rush to complete it and take your time making it the best application it can be.

I'm applying to this program this year and am really hoping to get in! Does anyone know or have insight into how much weight the admissions committee places on underserved minority populations?

Hey I'm also in DPMS this year. I applied on the very last possible day, so if you need more time to get your app ready then do it.

hi OreoHippo! Did you apply on the last day because the MCAT score came out that day? I see the Drexel DPMS FAQ says the last day to take the exam is March 29th this year, but my MCAT score wont be available til May 1st, which is the deadline for the application! :nailbiting:

Officially got my stuff all in! Now the waiting game begins...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it would be valuable to go to the graduate open house if we already know what program we’re applying to?

Hey, I actually applied the last day since my essays weren't done yet. But if they say that they will take that MCAT, then it should still be okay.

I think if you already know which grad program is your goal then I don't think attending would be helpful. But after you submit to DPMS, you should be able to submit a free app to another Drexel pre-health program, so do that!

Hey, I actually applied the last day since my essays weren't done yet. But if they say that they will take that MCAT, then it should still be okay.

I think if you already know which grad program is your goal then I don't think attending would be helpful. But after you submit to DPMS, you should be able to submit a free app to another Drexel pre-health program, so do that!

Thanks for the input! That’s what I was thinking :) do you mind if I message you privately about the program?

Does anyone know if the MCAT requirement to matriculate into the medical school changed?

Previous posters said you needed at least a 45% overall. With a minimum of a 125 in each section.

But Drexel's website states that the requirement is a minimum of a 499 overall with no lower than a 123 in each section.

Does DPMS give any indication on how many interviews they give out?

Does anyone have any information on how long the DPSM essay should be? Ive tried contacting admissions but I cant get through. Anyone on here currently apart of DPSM that could answer a few questions? :D

Does anyone know if the MCAT requirement to matriculate into the medical school changed?

Previous posters said you needed at least a 45% overall. With a minimum of a 125 in each section.

But Drexel's website states that the requirement is a minimum of a 499 overall with no lower than a 123 in each section.

the matriculation for MCAT changed. You need a 499 with no section lower than 123, it use to be 125 previous years

Does DPMS give any indication on how many interviews they give out?

They grant about 100-150 interviews I believe and have about 40-50 spots. Not sure if they will change this

Does anyone have any information on how long the DPSM essay should be? Ive tried contacting admissions but I cant get through. Anyone on here currently apart of DPSM that could answer a few questions? :D

My DPMS essay was about the same length as my personal statement. I did AMCAS 5300 characters as a guideline for how long to make my personal statement. My DPMS was longer by maybe one more paragraph.

the matriculation for MCAT changed. You need a 499 with no section lower than 123, it use to be 125 previous years

They grant about 100-150 interviews I believe and have about 40-50 spots. Not sure if they will change this

My DPMS essay was about the same length as my personal statement. I did AMCAS 5300 characters as a guideline for how long to make my personal statement. My DPMS was longer by maybe one more paragraph.
You’re referring to matriculation to the medical school with that MCAT score not the program right?

Last edited:
Your referring to matriculation to the medical school with that MCAT score not the program right?

Yes, those in track 1 (mcat retake) had to get a 499 with no section less than 123 to make it to med school. If you apply with stats higher than that you’ll be in track 2. You can get into the program with less than a a 499

To confirm, LORs can be written like we're applying to med school right?