DMU vs. RVU vs. Western U (Pomona)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoombaMK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have been lucky to get an acceptance to these three great institutions. I am extremely blessed but now I face a hard decision. I am from CA where I want to eventually spend my time, but it is not terribly important to stay in CA for school or get my education somewhere else.

I would like to make the decision earlier rather than later, as I know that I take 2 spots from other qualified individuals that are waiting for some good news.

RVU made a great impression with their strong step scores and match list (and brownies), as well as students that seemed genuinely happy to be there and confident in the level of medical education that they receive. One thing that I am not thrilled about is that although the school is fairly new, it is starting a branch campus. I am a bit worried it might create stress on the system which will impact the students negatively (some faculty moving, funds/attention diverted to the new campus etc.).

DMU has a strong tradition, great facilities, and a strong match list, but it's in Des Moines which is kind of isolated. Other than the location I really like DMU but I am not sure how strong their 3 & 4 year rotation sites are. I was hoping to get some more info, but they did not really touch on it during the interview day. if there are any DMU students that can give me some info I'd appreciate it.

Western U is 2 hours from where I live, which is awesome for me. However, the students seemed burned out and most of them stated that they chose the school due to location, despite a curriculum that they felt was not that great. I also heard that with UCR opening its own MD school, and a for-profit MD school starting in CA, rotation sites might take a hit.

Members don't see this ad.

How can you "see" students that are stressed/burned out? Can you expand on that? I've heard that here before about Western, and I want to know if people are just repeating each other or if you can genuinely notice the grief of students during your interview day....

I'm not sure your pros/cons are objective for each school or they lack consistency, hence comparing them seems foolish. (in the way that you are doing)

Curious to hear from others.

Last edited:
I would probably pick RVU or DMU unless you are looking to do residency and ultimately practice in CA then western would be my choice.

I think the DMU rotations can be hit or miss and on my interview day a few student ambassadors confirmed this, but overall you will learn what you need to. They just got a new Dean a couple years ago who seems to be aggressive in improving the schools curriculum (addition of ultrasound, talked about revamping certain aspects of courses for board purposes). I think DMU is a solid school with great reputation and will give you all the tools you need to reach Your goals.

RVU would be my top choice because of its location, CO is effin sweet, and their curriculum which is intense but produces great results thus far and they get around 2 months off for boards I believe. Faculty/staff was very nice and the student body had the most laid back, non gunner vibe of the 8 schools I interviewed at. Cons: unsure about rotation quality, but their match list was great. For profit status which probably won't ever affect you and they are newer.

Western seemed like a good school but I personally do not care for southern CA too crowded and crazy there. Pomona is an okay area not great. The schools curriculum gave off mixed vibes by a few students I talked to, they had some complaints with the way it was laid out, but thought it did a decent job overall preparing for boards. No ultrasound, and higher tuition and COL. But they did have a decent match list and placed around 50% of their class in residencies in CA. The students seemed to think that westerns rotations were pretty good.

Overall You can't go wrong with any of these schools all upper tier DO schools IMO. Just a matter of personal preference and fit.

Best of Luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!

I have been lucky to get an acceptance to these three great institutions. I am extremely blessed but now I face a hard decision. I am from CA where I want to eventually spend my time, but it is not terribly important to stay in CA for school or get my education somewhere else.

I would like to make the decision earlier rather than later, as I know that I take 2 spots from other qualified individuals that are waiting for some good news.

RVU made a great impression with their strong step scores and match list (and brownies), as well as students that seemed genuinely happy to be there and confident in the level of medical education that they receive. One thing that I am not thrilled about is that although the school is fairly new, it is starting a branch campus. I am a bit worried it might create stress on the system which will impact the students negatively (some faculty moving, funds/attention diverted to the new campus etc.).

DMU has a strong tradition, great facilities, and a strong match list, but it's in Des Moines which is kind of isolated. Other than the location I really like DMU but I am not sure how strong their 3 & 4 year rotation sites are. I was hoping to get some more info, but they did not really touch on it during the interview day. if there are any DMU students that can give me some info I'd appreciate it.

Western U is 2 hours from where I live, which is awesome for me. However, the students seemed burned out and most of them stated that they chose the school due to location, despite a curriculum that they felt was not that great. I also heard that with UCR opening its own MD school, and a for-profit MD school starting in CA, rotation sites might take a hit.
First year here at RVU. From what our Dean has told us, the two schools will act as separate schools. There will be no shared lectures via video or anything like that. Most of the faculty for Utah campus has already been hired and it doesn't sound like there will be any major shuffling with our current faculty.

Anyway, so far I have been extremely happy with my experience. Faculty and classmates are awesome. The curriculum has been awesome. Like some RVU and KCU students have said, the curriculum can be intense; but in all honesty, I would not let this scare you. I have found it to be very manageable and was expecting it to be much worse. It's all about time
management and learning how to study for med school.

Bottom line: I would highly recommend RVU. PM me if you have any specific question.

Reactions: 1 users
First year here at RVU. From what our Dean has told us, the two schools will act as separate schools. There will be no shared lectures via video or anything like that. Most of the faculty for Utah campus has already been hired and it doesn't sound like there will be any major shuffling with our current faculty.

Anyway, so far I have been extremely happy with my experience. Faculty and classmates are awesome. The curriculum has been awesome. Like some RVU and KCU students have said, the curriculum can be intense; but in all honesty, I would not let this scare you. I have found it to be very manageable and was expecting it to be much worse. It's all about time
management and learning how to study for med school.

Bottom line: I would highly recommend RVU. PM me if you have any specific question.

The fact that they will act as desperate schools is reassuring. Thanks for taking the time and share your experience, I got the same vibe from most of the students I spoke with, you guys love RVU!

Uh I think says it all.. Game over.

They were really awesome ;)