DMU vs. KCU-KC vs. ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishdoctor0225

Reaction score
First time poster here, please don't destroy me if I'm posting in the wrong area or what not.

I was very fortunate to receive five acceptances to DO schools, but I am having a surprisingly difficult time choosing between these three. I am currently from the Florida panhandle region and most of my family lives in Florida or Georgia. I went to undergrad fairly far away from family and familiar environments, and a piece of me is ready to return close to home. However, another piece of me wants to get the best education possible. Additionally, I am striving towards one of the HPSP scholarships, but I am very set on rural medicine. My ideal career would probably involve me being the sole medical provider of a small community. Here are some of my thoughts on each program, but I would really appreciate if any current students (or anyone else) could contribute some of their opinions. I know this decision is ultimately mine to make, but any insight into these programs would be extremely appreciated.

DMU:
Pros:
- Great 1st time board pass rates
- Great residency matches
- Des Moines is small enough for my liking
- Liked the atmosphere while interviewing
Cons:
- Far away from home

KCU-KC:
Pros:
- Also great 1st time board pass rates
- Great residencies as well
Cons:
- Atmosphere: Idk, I interviewed at the Joplin location.
- Location: ehh, living in a big city for undergrad has drained my soul

ACOM:
Pros:
- Location (1.5 hours away from family and the beach!)
- Big on rural med and the community
Cons:
- Not nearly as great board scores as the other two schools

So, in my mind, I feel like I have two options: Go to a better school farther away, or go to a lesser school closer to home. Will going to ACOM significantly hurt my career? Thanks in advance and good luck to all this application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I just put a deposit down to KCU-KC. I think as of ranking though DMU is above KCU but both are above ACOM.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to both ACOM and KCU so I feel I can half way give my thoughts on this. I was impressed by KCU’s board scores and access to a semi large city but was turned off by how stressed the students seem and the hard curriculum (although it seems to garner good results). I loved ACOM because the students seemed so much happier, however they haven’t really proved themselves based off of their board scores. I think lifestyle wise I would like ACOM, but curriculum/career wise I would choose KCU. They will both get you where you want to go, but I believe you will have an easier time getting there with KCU. I can’t undermine the importance of being close to home though, I turned down both for my state school because it’s close. So at the end of the day this is an entirely personal decision you’ll have to make, but you couldn’t go wrong with either.

First time poster here, please don't destroy me if I'm posting in the wrong area or what not.

I was very fortunate to receive five acceptances to DO schools, but I am having a surprisingly difficult time choosing between these three. I am currently from the Florida panhandle region and most of my family lives in Florida or Georgia. I went to undergrad fairly far away from family and familiar environments, and a piece of me is ready to return close to home. However, another piece of me wants to get the best education possible. Additionally, I am striving towards one of the HPSP scholarships, but I am very set on rural medicine. My ideal career would probably involve me being the sole medical provider of a small community. Here are some of my thoughts on each program, but I would really appreciate if any current students (or anyone else) could contribute some of their opinions. I know this decision is ultimately mine to make, but any insight into these programs would be extremely appreciated.

DMU:
Pros:
- Great 1st time board pass rates
- Great residency matches
- Des Moines is small enough for my liking
- Liked the atmosphere while interviewing
Cons:
- Far away from home

KCU-KC:
Pros:
- Also great 1st time board pass rates
- Great residencies as well
Cons:
- Atmosphere: Idk, I interviewed at the Joplin location.
- Location: ehh, living in a big city for undergrad has drained my soul

ACOM:
Pros:
- Location (1.5 hours away from family and the beach!)
- Big on rural med and the community
Cons:
- Not nearly as great board scores as the other two schools

So, in my mind, I feel like I have two options: Go to a better school farther away, or go to a lesser school closer to home. Will going to ACOM significantly hurt my career? Thanks in advance and good luck to all this application cycle.
If you're very set on rural med DMU is what you should do. I'm a third year feel free to PM but I've enjoyed it