Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely getting a little anxious about second year starting soon. :scared:
Shhhh, it's still a month and a half away! (At least for us)

I'm enjoying my summer, but definitely feeling a bit guilty for not having any veterinary things going on. I really needed the mental break since I was so burnt out towards the end of last semester, and it's been nice being able to make trips home and spend time with my family and my fiance, but seeing all the cool externships/jobs/research experiences my classmates have going on makes me feel pretty lazy! We're required to complete three externships before fourth year, but I procrastinated and didn't get anything set up for this summer, so I've pretty much just been giving tours at school, and watching lots of Netflix. :laugh: And then next summer I'm getting married, so the first half of my summer will be taken up with that. It doesn't help that my bank account is looking very sad. :oops: The only reason I'm excited for August is so I'll get my loan disbursement. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got in my chair today and had 30 minutes to feel the sun on my face for the first time in 38 days and throw a ball for Corky.

I'll probably be discharged this month, and I feel super guilty because I haven't started studying for our capstone exam at all. I need to start but I've always found it very difficult to get any work done in bed. I just end up falling asleep.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to do this plant book thing...and have not much of an idea where to get these plants. Taking baby steps towards working on it though, I've got pictures of some of the plants now and am acquiring newspaper for pressing them.

My research project continues to be a PITA. But the people I work with are fun. Hanging out with them tonight actually!
The garden near the vet school has a bunch of them as does the area with grass (around the edges). Did they not do the tour with your class? Usually an upperclassman walks you around that area to show you where some are

Reactions: 1 users
The garden near the vet school has a bunch of them as does the area with grass (around the edges). Did they not do the tour with your class? Usually an upperclassman walks you around that area to show you where some are
I had heard through the grapevine that the garden has a lot of the plants. But nope, they didn't give us a tour :(

What is this tour you speak of? The professor gave us the crash course on the dot cam and tossed us to the wolves. I've also heard about the garden being a good source of toxic plants (irony or intentional madness?) and will venture that way once I get some breathing room in these lovely summer MPH classes :bang:

Fun fact: the vet school in Vienna, Austria has an incredibly labeled garden, complete with cannabis and a few others we'd never dare grow in an open area on campus.

What is this tour you speak of? The professor gave us the crash course on the dot cam and tossed us to the wolves. I've also heard about the garden being a good source of toxic plants (irony or intentional madness?) and will venture that way once I get some breathing room in these lovely summer MPH classes :bang:

Fun fact: the vet school in Vienna, Austria has an incredibly labeled garden, complete with cannabis and a few others we'd never dare grow in an open area on campus.
the 2nd years at the end of first year used to give us a tour of the toxic plants on campus.

I believe you can find buttercup, perilla mint, english ivy, some of the grasses, senna, etc in the garden

Toxicology! It's a toxic plant book.

Incidentally, I had a dream about collecting buttercup last night...
Ew, I'm very glad we haven't had assignments over summer or winter breaks. But at least that doesn't sound too terrible!

It's not actually due until October, so at least there's that
Me: Trilt is a grown up doctor now. Why does she have an assignment due in October?

Me: Damn it.

Minutes later in the spectator thread . . .

Me: Wait, Trilt just replied to this, so who was replying before?

Me: OH **** IT HAPPENED AGAIN

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Me: Trilt is a grown up doctor now. Why does she have an assignment due in October?

Me: Damn it.

Minutes later in the spectator thread . . .

Me: Wait, Trilt just replied to this, so who was replying before?

Me: OH **** IT HAPPENED AGAIN
giphy.gif

Come visit and complete the transformation into me... our school actually has a legit toxic plants garden with labels and everything. (Assuming it's still being maintained).
Oh ****
Ugh I wish my summer didn't end up so cramped by research stuff, because that would be perfect. I need to visit you and @Filly Bay and I just don't have the time!

Arizona is pretty beautiful too ;)

Reactions: 2 users
philly isn't really all that beautiful, but we do have quite the array of plants! including my personal favorite, the tumbleweave ;)

Oh I love Philly :D will be there for SAVMA symposium in March!

You're going?!?! Depending on how much we get from the school this year, I'm planning on going. We should do an SDN meet up!!!

We should do an SDN meet up!!!
We're way ahead of you, it was decided months ago that this needs to happen! (I'm not officially committed to going because money, but I want to!)

We're way ahead of you, it was decided months ago that this needs to happen! (I'm not officially committed to going because money, but I want to!)

Fantastic!! I probably won't know till October if I'm going or not.

Finally finished my small animal anatomy remediation, and it was accepted, so I can just focus on my case report and enjoying what's left of the summer. So now I am actually finished with anatomy for good.

As annoyed as I was initially about going back into the lab to review everything (though I did some parts at home from the book), I am truthfully kind of glad that I did. I rag on this school for a lot of things, but I think it says loads about our small anatomy professor that he is willing to allow those of us who were borderline to receive a decent passing grade in the class in exchange for additional time going over the material a second time during the summer... and without the looming pressure of a test over it all. I feel so much more confident about my knowledge base now and I'm ready to tackle second year head-on and, hopefully, perform better.

I would love this post if SDN had a love button. So I'll settle for emojis.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Discharging tomorrow. 44 days, 12 days ahead of schedule. Can't wait to sleep in my own bed and get back in the gym.

Never dealing with this **** again (knock on wood).

Reactions: 15 users
Anyone else working on initial accreditation training? I think we're all required to do it at some point; we got it assigned as part of a class. I'm trying to motivate myself to get through the whole thing before school starts up again.

Anyone else working on initial accreditation training? I think we're all required to do it at some point; we got it assigned as part of a class. I'm trying to motivate myself to get through the whole thing before school starts up again.
I have no idea what that even is :thinking:

I'm with dubz, I've never heard of this either

Most schools don't start that until the end of second year....it has a time limit for how long they'll accept it.
This. You might not even get to it until clinics (like my school did, they threw it into one of my food animal rotations).

We have to do it this summer, so you're not alone. :bookworm:

That sucks. I just skipped to the quizzes, skimmed for answers, then repeated until I was done. Hated those modules.

At least it was during the really chill public health rotation during our FA stint... though it was super annoying because students did what you did so we had to actually read to get a certain percentage on the first try for each module or we failed the rotation :rolleyes:

Last edited:
At least it was during the really chill public health rotation during our FA stint... though it was super annoying because students did what you did so we had to actually read to get a certain percentage on the first try for each module or we failed the rotation :rolleyes:

Lol. I did the modules on my own time because of when I transferred. So I seriously jumped to the quizzes, may have taken me a few times to get a pass but I didn't read any of it. :heckyeah:

I think I like vacation too much to want to start working or go back to school

Reactions: 4 users
Found a non-profit planning trips to Ukraine to spay/neuter stray dogs in the exclusion zone around Chernobyl (hundreds of people work there and are interacting with dogs that are potentially being exposed to rabies), and, um, I kind of want to go. And my mind is coming up with all sorts of potential research projects. On a scale of crazy to insane, how nuts is this?

Found a non-profit planning trips to Ukraine to spay/neuter stray dogs in the exclusion zone around Chernobyl (hundreds of people work there and are interacting with dogs that are potentially being exposed to rabies), and, um, I kind of want to go. And my mind is coming up with all sorts of potential research projects. On a scale of crazy to insane, how nuts is this?

Not crazy at all, especially if you hook me up and I can come with

Not crazy at all, especially if you hook me up and I can come with

No idea how feasible it'd be, but I'd absolutely let you know!

I didn't realize just how many people work in the zone and how many tourists are now visiting. They've actually got two hotels (sparse accommodations by most standards but certainly not worse than what I experienced in a major city in Russia lol) in Pripyat. There are still hot zones with a lot of contamination, which is why visitors are required to be accompanied by approved guides, but other areas were more successfully cleaned, and radiation levels aren't so high. The companies that run the tours claim that the levels at the two hotels are comparable to Kiev, but I'm not sure how trustworthy they are. I haven't made any serious inquiries yet or done more extensive research, but in basic looking, I haven't been able to find an accurate measure of how much radiation the average worker on the actual power plant site is exposed to on a daily basis. It'd definitely be a fascinating experience.

No idea how feasible it'd be, but I'd absolutely let you know!

I didn't realize just how many people work in the zone and how many tourists are now visiting. They've actually got two hotels (sparse accommodations by most standards but certainly not worse than what I experienced in a major city in Russia lol) in Pripyat. There are still hot zones with a lot of contamination, which is why visitors are required to be accompanied by approved guides, but other areas were more successfully cleaned, and radiation levels aren't so high. The companies that run the tours claim that the levels at the two hotels are comparable to Kiev, but I'm not sure how trustworthy they are. I haven't made any serious inquiries yet or done more extensive research, but in basic looking, I haven't been able to find an accurate measure of how much radiation the average worker on the actual power plant site is exposed to on a daily basis. It'd definitely be a fascinating experience.

The entire place and history is fascinating to me. I love (from a scientific perspective) how much nature has taken over the area and there are so many opportunities for research. And I don't even care for research.

So nice to be home! Lost 15# on some of my lifts, but bro'ing it at the gym again feels good. All you a'holes with the summer truly off, we have this capstone exam that's stressing everyone out.

Reactions: 6 users