Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be thinking of you w2vm! Let us know how everything goes!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, 2020, it was fun, but it looks like I'll be joining 2021 if my meeting with the readmissions committee goes well.

I'll have to help them get their post count higher now ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Well, 2020, it was fun, but it looks like I'll be joining 2021 if my meeting with the readmissions committee goes well.

:cryi:
But also good luck with your meeting!

You should totally keep posting here though. Forever ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

As someone who sat on the committee in my school that handled that stuff, if you want some advice, PM me.

:cryi:
But also good luck with your meeting!

You should totally keep posting here though. Forever ;)

Well, of course! Y'all can't get rid of me!

As someone who sat on the committee in my school that handled that stuff, if you want some advice, PM me.

Thank you very much!!!! Will do!!! The admissions office needs to just let me know when the meeting is. But I think they're waiting to see how many meetings they need to set up. The assistant dean said the second or third week of June. So as soon as I get that date, I'll shoot you some questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, of course! Y'all can't get rid of me!

Just heard. For such a borderline grade, they don't let you remediate or anything? Just straight to repeating the WHOLE year or leaving? I don't like that policy!

ISU is like this, too. One failing grade, no matter how borderline, and we're dismissed... no remediation, and no second chances. We can apply for readmission and start over from first year but it's not a guaranteed thing. It's also a PITA from what I hear and most people don't, especially given the extra year's worth of debt. :(

I think most vet schools have a similar policy.
Yeah, if you get a D here, you can take the remediation exam. If you get an F, you can apply to the next upcoming class (no guarantees, but most people make it in). You don't have to repeat the whole year, but you start at the quarter that you failed. So if you failed winter quarter, you could start the following January, but if you failed spring quarter, you'd start in April. I've heard that this is a recent change as people in the past needed to repeat starting in September no matter which quarter they failed.

Ugh, I'm in the same boat, only we are allowed some remediation. Somehow managed to fail the Professional Skills final, by getting a 57.6% when minimum passing grade was 60%... So losing 2.4% on a 30% weighted final is now the difference between me getting a B and a maximum of a C- after I resit the final... Assuming I get over a 60% on the final. If I don't pass the final, then I'm either kicked out or have to repeat first year :(

Just heard. For such a borderline grade, they don't let you remediate or anything? Just straight to repeating the WHOLE year or leaving? I don't like that policy!

Because we have an "integrated curriculum" we don't have individual grades for each class. Just one giant grade for all the classes. My worst subject by far was anatomy, but I'm not able to remediate it. Not even allowed to take a make up exam. If I had done just 5% better on anatomy in any quarter, I would've been able to make it. Makes our curriculum a double edged sword cause I would've had a 2.0 if each class had its own grade.

I guess one small plus sides of potentially joining c/o 2021 is that you've been through the whole VM1 song and dance before, so hopefully it should be a bit easier and the material will be old hat to you now! I know it adds a significant amount of extra debt, though...

Best of luck with the meeting---let us know how it goes! I'm sure you'll be just fine. :)

This is currently my silver lining thought process. Lol

Ugh, I'm in the same boat, only we are allowed some remediation. Somehow managed to fail the Professional Skills final, by getting a 57.6% when minimum passing grade was 60%... So losing 2.4% on a 30% weighted final is now the difference between me getting a B and a maximum of a C- after I resit the final... Assuming I get over a 60% on the final. If I don't pass the final, then I'm either kicked out or have to repeat first year :(

Let me know if you need anyone to vent to. It's rough.

Because we have an "integrated curriculum" we don't have individual grades for each class. Just one giant grade for all the classes. My worst subject by far was anatomy, but I'm not able to remediate it. Not even allowed to take a make up exam. If I had done just 5% better on anatomy in any quarter, I would've been able to make it. Makes our curriculum a double edged sword cause I would've had a 2.0 if each class had its own grade.

We have an integrated curriculum too with usually only 1-2 grades for the entire semester. We're allowed to remediate one of the classes a year so if you fail both semesters you couldn't take an exam to get back in. But for you guys...you pass fall semester, fail spring and still have to redo the whole year? Dumb.

We have an integrated curriculum too with usually only 1-2 grades for the entire semester. We're allowed to remediate one of the classes a year so if you fail both semesters you couldn't take an exam to get back in. But for you guys...you pass fall semester, fail spring and still have to redo the whole year? Dumb.

Yeah, I totes agree. It's set up we need a 60% to pass a quarter and 70% to pass the year. So you could do great, then bomb fourth quarter, which is the worst for first year, and it would completely tank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent way too much time looking for this, it was practically buried, but I haven't started at the school yet so it was just impossible for me but probably super easy for everyone who actually knows what they're doing. We get one failure a year that can be remediated. It says up to three. But anything below a C- is failing. If you get more than one Y grade (which is their term for below C-) per year you are up for a delay in class year. If you fail to remediate you are dismissed. There is also one giant exam at the end of second year that covers everything and you can only move on to third year if you pass.

I spent way too much time looking for this, it was practically buried, but I haven't started at the school yet so it was just impossible for me but probably super easy for everyone who actually knows what they're doing. We get one failure a year that can be remediated. It says up to three. But anything below a C- is failing. If you get more than one Y grade (which is their term for below C-) per year you are up for a delay in class year. If you fail to remediate you are dismissed. There is also one giant exam at the end of second year that covers everything and you can only move on to third year if you pass.

Ha, I also spent a lot of time today looking for that. It looks like we can re-take the written portion of the second year exam once and do the practical portion more than that, if needed. The policy looks fairly complicated, but I like that they give chances for remediation. As far as I can tell, we can't be kicked out or held back for just one exam or one course (unless we don't remediate).

I made sure to ask about remediation policies at both schools I visited, and Davis seems to have a pretty generous one. :)

Ha, I also spent a lot of time today looking for that. It looks like we can re-take the written portion of the second year exam once and do the practical portion more than that, if needed. The policy looks fairly complicated, but I like that they give chances for remediation. As far as I can tell, we can't be kicked out or held back for just one exam or one course (unless we don't remediate).

I made sure to ask about remediation policies at both schools I visited, and Davis seems to have a pretty generous one. :)
Yeah it's listed under polices in VIPER. Took me forever to find. I am super happy they let you remediate for one class a year though. They recognize that things in life happen. Beyond straight failing there are actions you can take to fix your situation or you have a meeting with the board about what happened, so either way you get some consideration. I think it's a wonderful policy, but we do have to repeat the entire year if we repeat.

Glad to hear you've decided to try again! I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision.

We don't have any remediation opportunities either, if you get a D (even just by a point or two) you have to repeat the class, i.e. drop to the class below. If you fail a second semester class I don't think you have to retake first semester, you can either audit or just sit out on the classes you already passed, but it might vary. If you get an F or more than 1-2 D's (if 2 they can't be within 3 semesters of each other) you're dismissed and can petition to be readmitted. I'm not sure how difficult that is, but you don't have to start over from the beginning, just from the semester where you failed a class. However, I feel like most of our professors are really helpful and try to keep people from getting to that point, and there's tutoring available.

This was on the second page of threads. Unacceptable.

How is everyone's summer going?
Fast yet slow. Excited that I finally have a job and get to make some money, now I just have deal with a bunch of paperwork.
I really miss my classmates. Everyone scattered back to their homes/work/research and I miss seeing them everyday. I feel like I'm going to forget like 15% of the people too, which makes me feel worse. All my hard work of learning everyone's names might be wasted!

Fast yet slow. Excited that I finally have a job and get to make some money, now I just have deal with a bunch of paperwork.
I really miss my classmates. Everyone scattered back to their homes/work/research and I miss seeing them everyday. I feel like I'm going to forget like 15% of the people too, which makes me feel worse. All my hard work of learning everyone's names might be wasted!
I feel the same way! At the very beginning of the summer most of my friends were gone. Now some of them have come back, but still, I miss seeing everyone.

You only remembered this thread cause I posted in the other thread. :p

My summer just started!

Finally done with first year! Last final was yesterday and now I'm in Florida. Woo!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Dang, I think I've been out for a month and a half. When do you guys start back?

Summer is awesome. Working like 40-50 hour weeks, with bosses that quiz me and test my knowledge in a really fun way (I love them and have been teching for them for like 3 years now). So basically I'm just working and feeding bottle babies every 3 1/2 hours. Happy to have gotten the babies to survive eating only every 5 hours through the night so I only have to wake up once at 3am to feed them.

My boyfriend moved into my house in philly, and he's starting an internship there 3 days a week, and working at home on the weekend. So I'm home during the week working while he's in philly and I'm in philly at the shelter on the weekends that he's home. That kind of sucks, because I'm basically not going to see him all summer, but it'll be worth it when school starts and we're like a big boy and girl couple living together!

16 days in a bed completely flat since my surgery. Got another 56 or so to go.

Same 4 walls has been a little rough, and when I start wedging up for brief periods of time in a few weeks to start weight loading I look forward to a normal shower and going outside. The little things :D.

Everyone at this hospital is great though, and Corky's right here with me.

Reactions: 13 users
Hong Kong is great, I've learned soooo much at Ocean Park about zoo and aquatics medicine. Sad to be leaving on Friday, but it will also be nice to be home!

Reactions: 6 users
Sooo much research this summer. I really missed being in the lab, and while the transition from being an undergrad in lab to running my own projects has been a little nerve-wracking (there's so much I don't know!), so happy to be back there.

I was supposed to do a 5k next month, but I have stress fractures in both femurs so that's looking less likely :(

Back for another edition of surgery photos. Proceed with caution:

The wound secondary to abscess right before surgery:

DSC06135.JPG

He removed semitendinosus (or what was left of it) from its insertion distally and reflected it back to fill in the dead space caused by the abscess. The black area is my ischial tuberosity that he cauterized down and made less prominent:

DSC06142.JPG

All done. I'm like one continuous scar now from head to stump. It's getting rather excessive:

DSC06145.JPG

That's gnarly, w2vm. Hope recovery is going well and will continue to do so!

Shoot dang, Wheels. All the best to you (and Corky) as you recover!

Summer has been good so far on this end. I can't even begin to put into words how nice it is to be out of the classroom and actually doing clinical things again. Really refreshing.

Holy hot totties and greasy pancakes, I'm finally back in the US . American soil feels so nice sometimes, except humidity... Farck that snot.

Holy hot totties and greasy pancakes, I'm finally back in the US . American soil feels so nice sometimes, except humidity... Farck that snot.
It's been death outside here lately. Feels like you're breathing soup.
How was your trip??

It's been death outside here lately. Feels like you're breathing soup.
How was your trip??
I had to drive to Georgia as soon as I got back to get the kids... freaking miserable there, too. Why must the air be thick as butter? I'm just going to stop showering as well. Just to walk outside and feel sweaty? No thanks lol

Ha, trip. Busy balancing grenades, trying to keep the Jenga tower from crashing every 30 seconds sometimes. I did manage to squeeze in a few trips though (Germany, Poland, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovenia, and France). How's it been for you?

I had to drive to Georgia as soon as I got back to get the kids... freaking miserable there, too. Why must the air be thick as butter? I'm just going to stop showering as well. Just to walk outside and feel sweaty? No thanks lol

Ha, trip. Busy balancing grenades, trying to keep the Jenga tower from crashing every 30 seconds sometimes. I did manage to squeeze in a few trips though (Germany, Poland, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovenia, and France). How's it been for you?
Growing up in FL should have prepared me for this but I still hate it every year :p

Research has been uh...something. Feels like every day my simple little project gets more complex, even though we still haven't figured out the most basic part of it. But it's been a pretty good experience so far!

Growing up in FL should have prepared me for this but I still hate it every year :p

Research has been uh...something. Feels like every day my simple little project gets more complex, even though we still haven't figured out the most basic part of it. But it's been a pretty good experience so far!
Sounds like fun! You know what would make that better and something we need in our lives this summer?????
IMG_6209.jpg

Sorry it's so huge, no clue how to make it smaller.

.....haha... puns make me laugh

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone here have experience owning kitties with cerebellar hypoplasia?

Seriously considering adopting 2 little cuties with it.
I've known people who have, but I don't have personal experience. The ones I know of lived really full lives though, and their owners loved them to pieces!

What up, 2020-ers! How goes summer?

I have to do this plant book thing...and have not much of an idea where to get these plants. Taking baby steps towards working on it though, I've got pictures of some of the plants now and am acquiring newspaper for pressing them.

My research project continues to be a PITA. But the people I work with are fun. Hanging out with them tonight actually!

I have to do this plant book thing...and have not much of an idea where to get these plants. Taking baby steps towards working on it though, I've got pictures of some of the plants now and am acquiring newspaper for pressing them.
What do you have to do that for??

Definitely starting to feel the upcoming school year breathing down my neck, too... And also trying very valiantly to ignore that reality for as long as I can :D

Also, I feel like we talked about this before, but are any of ya'll going to the Veterinary Scholars Symposium next month in DC?

Definitely starting to feel the upcoming school year breathing down my neck, too... And also trying very valiantly to ignore that reality for as long as I can :D

Also, I feel like we talked about this before, but are any of ya'll going to the Veterinary Scholars Symposium next month in DC?

Meeeeee!!!