Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure it'll get better though! Just takes practice.
Agree with @WildZoo.

@Elkhart, athough it's human nature, kindly try not to compare yourself with everyone around you - you'll "get it" over time - and you'll be fine. :)

[If it's any consolation, many human medical students share the same anxieties about their own skills - and they ONLY have to treat a single species of two-legged patients.]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that the year literally just started, but surgery lab already has me feeling a little discouraged. It's always taken me a much longer time to pick up motor/technical skills, and surgery so far has been no exception. I just can't get the proper movements down... we practiced a simple interrupted pattern today and I couldn't even keep up with the professor on the monitors because it was taking me so long to mentally process what I had to do and where my hands and needle driver needed to be, let alone actually performing the knots/ties. I eventually gave up because I was so lost and I didn't think that my suture job was going to be salvagable, anyway.

That said, I'm sure that it will get easier as I practice more and more (which I plan on doing over the weekend). I'm just slightly frustrated that I couldn't do one of the most basic suture patterns when everyone around me seemed to have little to no issues following along.
Do you have instructors who can come demonstrate next to you? I'm someone who can have trouble picking up things mirrored (like, I will use my left hand to do what they're doing with their right sometimes), but if someone demonstrates it next to me it's not an issue. Maybe that will help you?

Sorry sandy :( we had suture lab last year and I remember it feeling pretty overwhelming because I had never sutured before and like half my groupmates had already done spays or been allowed to help close and I knew nothing.

I know that the year literally just started, but surgery lab already has me feeling a little discouraged. It's always taken me a much longer time to pick up motor/technical skills, and surgery so far has been no exception. I just can't get the proper movements down... we practiced a simple interrupted pattern today and I couldn't even keep up with the professor on the monitors because it was taking me so long to mentally process what I had to do and where my hands and needle driver needed to be, let alone actually performing the knots/ties. I eventually gave up because I was so lost and I didn't think that my suture job was going to be salvagable, anyway.

That said, I'm sure that it will get easier as I practice more and more (which I plan on doing over the weekend). I'm just slightly frustrated that I couldn't do one of the most basic suture patterns when everyone around me seemed to have little to no issues following along.
Do you have models to practice on at home? (Pig feet do well if not). Grab some extra suture and sit down, find a good youtube video, and practice practice practice. Surgical skills was not easy for me but I ended up doing okay because I would sit down and do several suture patterns until I felt okay about it. No one expects you to do great right away- It takes lots of time and practice!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it was probably mostly random that we got paired, but I like my little sib. It was also a coincidence that she wound up in my tour group for today.

(And I just learned that wound is spelled like wound. It blew my mind. What are you evening trying to do English?)

(And I just learned that wound is spelled like wound. It blew my mind. What are you evening trying to do English?)
I had to read this like four times before I understood what you were trying to say. :hilarious:

You'll be fine. Some people have good innate hand-motor abilities, some don't, all get better with effort and practice. :)

Reactions: 5 users

It'll come, I promise. Don't worry about speed so much (you mention time a few times in your post) - just make sure your knots are square and snug. A well-tied square knot that takes 30 seconds is 1000x better than a poorly-tied square knot that takes 10 seconds. Speed is eventually essential, but not until you are very confident in your knot security.

The biggest mistakes I see students making are not keeping track of which way their hands should be going, not keeping their hands low (you should be tying as flat as your working surface will allow, not up and away), and (this is maybe the biggest) equal and opposite tension. It's super tempting for most people to pull on one free end and not the other (especially with instrument ties - people tend to pull harder on the side held by needle drivers. When I'm teaching, getting people to use flat, equal, and opposite tension usually gets the most improvement most quickly. Sometimes it takes some gentle mid-surgery hand slaps, but never more than one or two before they start forming good habits.

Look on the bright side - it might be the most basic suture pattern you're struggling with but really, everything is based on it. Once you get that basic pattern down, (most) everything is easy because it's just building on it. So pretty soon you're going to have an "ah ha" moment where suddenly your suturing will take off. And you can do almost everything with a square knot on top of it, from suturing a line to ligation. A constrictor knot is useful but not necessary. An Aberdeen knot is useful (and actually, my preferred way to finish a continuous line), but not necessary. Etc. Get the square knot and in theory you could quit learning knots. At that point you just need to master patterns, like a cruciate, simple interrupted, simple continuous, some inverting pattern (like a lembert), a few ligation techniques ..... and you've got 99% of surgery. And all of those can be tied with a basic square knot.

Don't let this one get you down. You may never learn to love it, but you will learn to do it well. Guaranteed.

Reactions: 3 users

It takes time to develop skills, don't worry it will come. My neuter today I couldn't get the damn knot to bury on this 8# chihuahua and the incision kept coming open. So I put a cruciate in the skin, wasn't worth the extra time and repeatedly damaging the dog's skin, it'll heal just the same, only difference is dog needs to come back for suture removal, no big deal.

Got my keys today and moving on Sunday. This is all happening so fast!

@Elkhart does your school make resources available for you to practice? It'll come, it'll just take time (and some work). Chin up :)

And yet every time I have a thought like that, I read my signature, and I'm reminded that this method has served me well so far :laugh:

If life has taught me anything, it's that partially organized chaos is the way to go.

Then again, my old classmates are out having babies and getting promotions and finishing off a decade of paying into a 401(k), and I'm going to be working until literally the day I die, so I may not be the best source of life advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Moving down today. Wonder what I'm going to forget....

I forgot my stethoscope at home because I'm an idiot. So just remember that, and you'll be alright. ;)

Do any of you work during the year? I really need a job, but I don't know if I can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a couple people who work outside of the vet school but it's really, really low hours and for companies they worked for prior and are willing to work around their class schedule. Otherwise most people who have jobs work for the school in some way, mostly emergency clin path or surgery assistant.

I forgot my stethoscope at home because I'm an idiot. So just remember that, and you'll be alright. ;)
I moved down today... forgot all my textbooks. Freudian packing slip perhaps? :p

uggggggggghhhh. its so hard to get back into wanting to be in class. plus these seats are terrible and killing my back.

uggggggggghhhh. its so hard to get back into wanting to be in class. plus these seats are terrible and killing my back.
Our classroom is great but it tends to get cold...so I have a blanket...which makes the staying awake thing harder

Do what I did. Don't go.

It took me a while (sadly until third year), but once I put together the right combo of
-- beer-loving funny, friendly classmate
-- nearby pub with excellent wi-fi
-- live video lecture capture ...

... my vet school life was revolutionized.

The whole 'skipping the first week of class to live the aquarium life' thing is going to make it impossible for me to get back in the swing of things next week :(

Edit: As is evident by me posting in the wrong class page

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Realized while putting together my monthly spread in my bullet journal that our first exam is only two weeks away...after that we have at least one exam per week for like...forever. :cryi:
2 exams every week until we die :dead:

We have 5 the first week of October. Can't wait.
Oh do you guys have like, a midterm week thing? Our exams are spread out throughout the semester but the first years now have a midterm week in October where they have an exam for every class. The only exams they have outside of that week and finals are the anatomy exams.

I'm not sure if this is an option for you, @wheelin2vetmed, but would you be able to do a medical deferral? I understand it sucks to have to leave your class and put your future on hold. But that's an enormous amount of pressure for you to shoulder.

I'm sorry to hear things are still so rough for you @wheelin2vetmed, I was just wondering the other day how you were doing! I agree with bats, your health definitely comes first before school!

I'm pretty sure I'm about a month behind, even though we've only had 3 weeks of classes :heckyeah:

I'm also thinking I probably took on too many extracurricular responsibilities and it is almost certainly going to bite me in the ass soon enough.

Had the first of I think 25 tests this semester. Went better than I expected.

Don't be afraid to step back from extracurriculars Zoo!

Last edited:
Second year is so exhausting :sleep:
A week ago I was the lead surgeon on a dog neuter so that was awesome. Made me feel even closer to being a real dogtor! In a couple of weeks I'll be the lead surgeon during a spay, so a little more nerve wracking.

Second year is so exhausting :sleep:
A week ago I was the lead surgeon on a dog neuter so that was awesome. Made me feel even closer to being a real dogtor! In a couple of weeks I'll be the lead surgeon during a spay, so a little more nerve wracking.
Nice! Which school are you at that you're doing surgeries already?

I've slept maybe 7 hours in the last 48 hours... consumed 7 energy drinks... second year :arghh:

Guys, 2021 is only 16 behind us now. We need to talk here instead of Snapchat again! Haha

I love second year 1000x more than first year already. :banana: