Class of 2025... How you doin’?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm feeling a LOT better now that our giant physiology exam is over. It was a combined exam over both pulmonary and endocrine physiology worth a huge chunk of our semester grade. I feel like I had a GIANT weight lifted off of my shoulders. Now I am looking forward to a week off for SPRING BREAK!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Oh man, that’s my biggest fear! I hope your exams go well!
thanks!! I didn't do great but I survived! I'm baffled really. The universe was kind to me. Thrilled for spring break ☀️

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I am rounding off my spring break with SAVMA symposium! Hopefully some of you guys were able to brave the cold and make it up here!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am rounding off my spring break with SAVMA symposium! Hopefully some of you guys were able to brave the cold and make it up here!
On my way to the dairy goat lab right now!

I'm a delegate so I was supposed to go, but had to head home to help with a couple complicated family situations. If anyone gets to visit the raptor center let me know how that us!!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Been absent for SDN for the last week because of exams but IM ALIVE AND ABLE TO HAVE CONVERSATION AGAINNNNN!!!!

did you end up listening to the encanto soundtrack?? it's been stuck in my head endlessly and the movie kind of reminds me of my family; growing up my household was blended multigenerational for a year or two so i *loved* seeing that representation. and even now i collectively spend probably a month or so -- maybe a little more per year -- living with my whole family; like when we visit my grandma in poland lol all like seven of us in our one-bedroom family apartment. just really cool. i'm not sure if it'll have the same appeal to everyone but it was great. and there's a kid who can talk to animals in it, so vet students rejoice haha
I totally didn't see this because I was so busy - I watched it - it was wonderful! I can see why everyone is OBSESSED! Also - related so hard to the kid who can talk to animals - I wish I could actually talk to them, would make my life that much easier!😅
I hope it goes well! We have our first large animal exam when we get back from break. But we have GI phys tomorrow and after accidentally deleting 100 pages of notes 🙃 I'm kinda dreading it.

Other than that just trying to take things one day at a time.
Worst fear right there - deleting all of the things before the exam! I hope it went alright for you! 🤞

How is everyone doing? Everyone in my class is stressed for our large animal anatomy midterm tomorrow, but then we get a wonderful wonderful week off for spring break!! Just need to push through one more day :hungover:
We finally finished anatomy at the end of February right before our spring break - it went really really well and I am just so happy/relieved to be done! I hope it went well for you!

It seems like a lot of us had physiology exams - we just took our second one on Friday - it was respiratory phys and renal phys. Respiratory phys is AWESOME and the clinician that taught it did an AMAZING job. Renal phys however... I got through it but I'm not sure why they think it's fun to throw 250 slides at us in four lectures the same week of the exam? Like I can memorize a lot, but that is too much! At least it's done and *hopefully* went well!

Other than that, it's getting busier and busier - we finished anatomy but gained immuno, neuroscience, nutrition, and radiology in addition to physio, clinical skills, intro to research, and two electives. I took our "light" quarter and used it to get more involved, probably too much so but it'll be ok! High point of the semester so far is being one of five first years selected to go to Thailand for two weeks this summer to do spay/neuter on dogs and cats there. It's going to be a lot of work learning surgical skills we normally don't learn until second year - but I'm super excited for a new adventure!

What else is everyone up to? Anyone doing anything fun for spring break? Let me live vicariously through you as I study for radiology this week and neuro the next week 😊

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Been absent for SDN for the last week because of exams but IM ALIVE AND ABLE TO HAVE CONVERSATION AGAINNNNN!!!!

I totally didn't see this because I was so busy - I watched it - it was wonderful! I can see why everyone is OBSESSED! Also - related so hard to the kid who can talk to animals - I wish I could actually talk to them, would make my life that much easier!😅
right?? same. i also carry a lot of the luisa energy in my family and the song about pressure hit *hard*.

Worst fear right there - deleting all of the things before the exam! I hope it went alright for you! 🤞
it did!! it's a notoriously difficult exam and they ended up throwing us all some points back anyway so it went okay. not beautiful, but i am absolutely fine with that, 'cause i was definitely anticipating *not* passing after deleting those notes.

We finally finished anatomy at the end of February right before our spring break - it went really really well and I am just so happy/relieved to be done! I hope it went well for you!
congratulations!! it's gotta be so nice to be done with anatomy

It seems like a lot of us had physiology exams - we just took our second one on Friday - it was respiratory phys and renal phys. Respiratory phys is AWESOME and the clinician that taught it did an AMAZING job. Renal phys however... I got through it but I'm not sure why they think it's fun to throw 250 slides at us in four lectures the same week of the exam? Like I can memorize a lot, but that is too much! At least it's done and *hopefully* went well!
the same thing nearly happened to us with GI phys two days before the exam. we asked one prof to pre-record his stuff so at least we were able to split it up a bit. it's brutal. i'm not sure either. i know that the overarching theme among vet schools is: 'this is just the way it is, adapt', but there's got to be a better way. kind of how i ended up as a delegate. i get real mad about the way vet schools run some things. just because things have always been done a certain way doesn't mean they need to be done that way.

Other than that, it's getting busier and busier - we finished anatomy but gained immuno, neuroscience, nutrition, and radiology in addition to physio, clinical skills, intro to research, and two electives. I took our "light" quarter and used it to get more involved, probably too much so but it'll be ok!
ugh that sounds heavy. i'm so glad we're done with nutrition and neuro. we're halfway through immuno and still have our combined physiology/histology course -- our last two units are endocrine and repro. plus large animal anatomy. finishing up comparative anatomy over the next couple days too, but that's a pretty cool class so i'm not mad about it.

and then, epi and gen path start. in practice, epi and pathology are two of my favorite subjects and two professional areas i'm considering specializing in. but i haven't enjoyed too many classes so far. i'm starting to get preemptively anxious about new didactic courses.

many days i wish i could just hide in the wildlife clinic and learn veterinary medicine by osmosis.
High point of the semester so far is being one of five first years selected to go to Thailand for two weeks this summer to do spay/neuter on dogs and cats there. It's going to be a lot of work learning surgical skills we normally don't learn until second year - but I'm super excited for a new adventure!

What else is everyone up to? Anyone doing anything fun for spring break? Let me live vicariously through you as I study for radiology this week and neuro the next week 😊
Thailand sounds amaaazing omg i hope you have a wonderful time.

for break i'm mostly helping my mom out with things, monitoring a couple family situations, and catching up on all the lectures i skipped to try to catch up for that physiology exam. my mom is trying to get me out of the house a bit. apparently it's good for everyone. so i think i'm doing some wildlife stuff tomorrow. and i'm being encouraged to see friends so i don't shrivel into a ball of anxiety. which, might be a little late for that. but i will try.

• Care
  • Love
Sooo close to the end of first year... just another week and a half of our last class! How are you all holding up? Any fun summer plans?

• Love
Sooo close to the end of first year... just another week and a half of our last class! How are you all holding up? Any fun summer plans?
I'm so ready for summer break. This has been a very rough semester because of many unexpected events (family, health, etc...) that significantly impacted my performance. Just two more weeks, finals, and then we're free!

My part-time vet tech position at the local SPCA will be full-time this summer which I'm really looking forward to - I absolutely love this job. I plan on spending a lot more time outdoors this summer than I can currently. More time riding my horse, too, and I'd love to get us into good enough shape to go on a nearby endurance ride in late summer if I can find someone willing to trailer her there.

My boyfriend and I are planning on taking a quiet, laidback trip to the Poconos at some point. A relative of his has a currently unused house on a lake that we've been allowed access to. Hopefully this will be a great recharge for the fall semester.

Has everyone's first year shaped up to what they thought it would be?

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
loon gig and wildlife clinic still holding up despite hpai but my most recent plot twist is now it looks like I'm going to need minor hand surgery 🙁 i'm less worried about the procedure and more about the healing process, which could sideline me for a few weeks.

but including this week, we still have 3 weeks of classes before finals. just hoping it'll all go smoothly.

congrats on wrapping things up!!

• Care
I'm so ready for summer break. This has been a very rough semester because of many unexpected events (family, health, etc...) that significantly impacted my performance. Just two more weeks, finals, and then we're free!
i'm sorry about the unexpected events, i hope you're doing okay!!
My boyfriend are planning on taking a quiet, laidback trip to the Poconos at some point. A relative of his has a currently unused house on a lake that we've been allowed access to. Hopefully this will be a great recharge for the fall semester.
this sounds magical :) hope it's a good escape

Reactions: 1 user
This week is "dead week" at my school, which more describes my mental state than the lack of classes/labs. Only have this week and then finals next week and then I'm officially 25% a doctor! This semester was a bit easier than last semester, but I am still exhausted and ready for a break.

Looking forward to a few weeks off this summer before starting back at the USDA. I am hoping to schedule an externship for a week, but still waiting to hear back on my placement. I am also helping out at a summer camp at the vet school in early August! I am very excited for those experiences.

• Love
loon gig and wildlife clinic still holding up despite hpai but my most recent plot twist is now it looks like I'm going to need minor hand surgery 🙁 i'm less worried about the procedure and more about the healing process, which could sideline me for a few weeks.
OH NO!!!! What happened!? I hope everything goes smoothly! Hopefully there will be things for you to do with the loons/wildlife that don't involve using one hand o_O

We have 5 finals left (just had neuro written, two more this week, three next week) and I. AM. SO. READY. TO. BE. DONE. The burnout is real. I've attained this crazy state of mind where I simultaneously do not give a f*** about my grades/exams but at the same time NEED TO DO WELL? 😂 I know everything is made up and the grades don't matter, but here we are.

Somehow (ok I know exactly how, don't go to a club with a ball pit and expect to leave without some disease) got the flu last week, thankfully before finals started, but that took me out for a hot minute. Luckily I was feeling somewhat better in time to host the off-campus party the Beer Barons (we host weekly happy hours for students and faculty) planned for the whole school, which was so much fun, but I'm so glad it's over. If I never have to listserv the whole school again, I will die happy.

Apart from that, I'm taking a step back from clinical work this summer to do some research at our swine facility as well as milking a couple of days a week at our dairy and preparing to go to Thailand to spay and neuter in August. Once I get back I'm helping to coordinate orientation for V26, which I'm super stoked about!

Happy to hear everyone else is finishing their semesters up, I can't believe we're already 25% done vet school, it doesn't seem real!

Members don't see this ad :)
We only have two classes left and will be completely done on Monday! It’s crazy to think that in less than a week, I’ll no longer be a first year 🤯 I leave almost right away for an externship and I’m traveling for the rest of the summer. It’s such a good feeling to almost be done! We’re actually doing the thing, guys!

• Love
OH NO!!!! What happened!? I hope everything goes smoothly! Hopefully there will be things for you to do with the loons/wildlife that don't involve using one hand o_O
thanks! it's not even a good story; just a small, persistent ganglion cyst at the joint from overuse. but it's surprisingly disruptive. Can't even turn doorknobs. sooo. i have to either keep it splinted all summer or they can remove it. honestly the bureaucracy is a nightmare because school ends so soon and i have no intention of staying in central ma any longer than i need to. i keep trying to ask if i should try to schedule this at home instead but it's just a mess in terms of how long it takes to schedule things. i'm left handed and it's weirdly on my right hand so anything requiring fine dexterity should be fine, but it's more like, holding stuff, paddling a boat, restraint etc. that i worry about.

the rest of your stuff sounds interesting, hope it all goes well!! and Thailand sounds amazing omg

Last edited:
We only have two classes left and will be completely done on Monday! It’s crazy to think that in less than a week, I’ll no longer be a first year 🤯 I leave almost right away for an externship and I’m traveling for the rest of the summer. It’s such a good feeling to almost be done! We’re actually doing the thing, guys!
oooh what's your externship?

oooh what's your externship?
It’s at the hospital I used to work at! They fortunately liked me enough to have me back haha. I’m doing 2 weeks on IM and 2 weeks on ECC, so I’m super excited!

It’s at the hospital I used to work at! They fortunately liked me enough to have me back haha. I’m doing 2 weeks on IM and 2 weeks on ECC, so I’m super excited!
that's awesome! i'm excited for you!!

thanks! it's not even a good story; just a small, persistent ganglion cyst at the joint from overuse. but it's surprisingly disruptive. Can't even turn doorknobs. sooo. i have to either keep it splinted all summer or they can remove it. honestly the bureaucracy is a nightmare because school ends so soon and i have no intention of staying in central ma any longer than i need to. i keep trying to ask if i should try to schedule this at home instead but it's just a mess in terms of how long it takes to schedule things. i'm left handed and it's weirdly on my right hand so anything requiring fine dexterity should be fine, but it's more like, holding stuff, paddling a boat, restraint etc. that i worry about.
Oh gosh, that sounds so annoying! I would def see about scheduling it at home, getting appointments for anything nowadays is a pain in the ass. Hopefully the recovery is quick so you can get back to doing all the wonderful wildlife/loon things!
the rest of your stuff sounds interesting, hope it all goes well!! and Thailand sounds amazing omg
Thanks, I'm SO excited for Thailand, I've always dreamed of going and seeing the elephants and eating all the Thai food! If I don't get tackled by a baby elephant while I'm there I WILL SUE 😂

Officially DONE with first year!!!

Reactions: 11 users
*mizzou students crying in 6 more weeks left*

• Wow
okay. surgery done. now healing can proceed. and hopefully I'll have it in me to start catching up on studying tomorrow.

in the meanwhile, I'm watching that new pirate show on HBO and it's a delight. anyone have any recommendations on what to watch after this?

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
okay. surgery done. now healing can proceed. and hopefully I'll have it in me to start catching up on studying tomorrow.

in the meanwhile, I'm watching that new pirate show on HBO and it's a delight. anyone have any recommendations on what to watch after this?
I'm glad everything went well! Good luck with the studying, it's so hard when you're not 100% (me the last week of finals with a week long migraine 🥴)

You are the second person to say that the new pirate show on HBO is good, I might have to check it out! Need to buy HBO though!

I just watched "Our Father" on Netflix it's the documentary about a fertility doctor that inseminated his patients with his own sperm.... he has 90+ kids because of that. It's a wild ride, although kind of short (I think it's <2 hours). For some reason I thought it was going to be a limited series like some of their other shows. Interested to see if anyone else has recommendations, I have a week off before I start research and IM SO BORED. 🙄

• Wow
How has everyone been? I miss summer already- we've had three days of class so far and I am already exhausted!!

• Care
How has everyone been? I miss summer already- we've had three days of class so far and I am already exhausted!!
Oh no that makes me so nervous - what classes are you in right now!?

We start classes a week from today - but we have orientation for V26 this week, which is super exciting! I'm simultaneously looking forward to being back in class and not ready for summer to be over!

Oh no that makes me so nervous - what classes are you in right now!?

We start classes a week from today - but we have orientation for V26 this week, which is super exciting! I'm simultaneously looking forward to being back in class and not ready for summer to be over!
We're in microbio, pharmacology, gen path, clin path, and clinical skills! I also have a lot of extracurricular things at the same time and I didn't get to fully relax over summer haha so I'm just starting off tired, classes themselves are fine currently. We have our first two exams next week and then we have at least one exam every single week until the end of the semester so it's going to ramp up pretty soon! I totally feel you on being excited for class and also missing summer- I think everyone I know is in the same boat!

• Care
i'm so exhausted. everything just keeps hitting. my dog died in july of a severe spontaneous pneumothorax. it's really rare overall. but when it does happen, huskies have a higher incidence rate. it wasn't expected at all. and a bunch of other things. i feel weird being in school when life is happening all around me. so i'm just trying to get through it.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
i'm so exhausted. everything just keeps hitting. my dog died in july of a severe spontaneous pneumothorax. it's really rare overall. but when it does happen, huskies have a higher incidence rate. it wasn't expected at all. and a bunch of other things. i feel weird being in school when life is happening all around me. so i'm just trying to get through it.
I feel this. I had so much outside life crap happen during my first year of vet school. Never had so much crap happen at one time in my life! I wanted to keep moving forward with vet school so I started seeing one of the counselors available to us and it really helped me mentally/emotionally process things and stay focused on school. Highly recommend if you have resources available to you!

And remember, everything you’re going through has an expiration date (except maybe the grief over losing your pup so unexpectedly 💔)

Last edited:
We're in microbio, pharmacology, gen path, clin path, and clinical skills! I also have a lot of extracurricular things at the same time and I didn't get to fully relax over summer haha so I'm just starting off tired, classes themselves are fine currently. We have our first two exams next week and then we have at least one exam every single week until the end of the semester so it's going to ramp up pretty soon! I totally feel you on being excited for class and also missing summer- I think everyone I know is in the same boat!
That sounds really similar to our class schedule except for pharm, that's in the spring for us! I feel you with the extracurriculars - I've been going going going all week as an OL and Assistant Orientation Director and now that that's done I need to switch into SAVMA VP/ club president mode as things get going. I've spent the last 3 hours sitting at a bar near my house just sending emails and making spreadsheets. At least there's beer!

• Care
And oh no, I'm so sorry @max_wildlife 😔I can't even imagine how hard that must be. We're here if you need anything at all ❤️

I feel this. I had so much outside life crap happen during my first year of vet school. Never had so much crap happen at one time in my life! I wanted to keep moving forward with vet school so I started seeing one of the counselors available to us and it really helped me mentally/emotionally process things and stay focused on school. Highly recommend if you have resources available to you!

And remember, everything you’re going through has an expiration date (except maybe the grief over losing your pup so unexpectedly 💔)
thank you 💔 it's been rough for sure; i'd been seeing a therapist last school year for a number of things, and i am going to get back in touch with them soon. they were kind, but i don't think they and i connected well. they were baffled by the chain of events that kept happening in the spring semester, and i don't think i can handle that when i explain everything that happened this summer too. i may ask school to switch therapists.

in the meanwhile, i started fostering an older rescue husky a few days ago and she and i are vibing pretty well, so i think she'll stick around. not the same, but seems like she and i can help each other get through our respective hard times.

other than that i've been throwing as much of my angsty energy into a lot of intense sports as i can; skateboarding and surfing and all that. it helps. hopefully all will be well, and if not, well hey. at this point in my life, it's just school. no one is relying on me just yet. so taking it one day at a time and trying to focus on the good where i can.

• Care
anyone have recommendations for good study music that isn't lo-fi beats?
I like acoustic (but still with lyrics) music for studying.
My go-to coming into vet school was an acoustic Imagine Dragons playlist. Then since I quickly realized vet school involved too much studying to only listen to a single playlist I added some more. I think by the end of vet school this was my typical study set:
-Acoustic Imagine Dragons
-Acoustic Taylor Swift
-Half Moon Run
-Dean Lewis
-Some others I've already forgotten. I recently discovered the Morning Coffee playlist on Spotify and that probably would have been on there if I had known about it then.

I did movie and videogame it scores. Horizon Zero Dawn is 4 hours long.
I also did this. My study playlist was like 50+ hours long because I just kept adding new movies, TV shows, and video games over the years.

Ramin Djawadi, Bear McCreary, Hans Zimmer, and Alexandre Desplat (composers) all have large bodies of work if you're looking for a place to start building from.

I also did this. My study playlist was like 50+ hours long because I just kept adding new movies, TV shows, and video games over the years.

Ramin Djawadi, Bear McCreary, Hans Zimmer, and Alexandre Desplat (composers) all have large bodies of work if you're looking for a place to start building from.
Two words: John Williams

Two words: John Williams
I knew I was forgetting somebody!

I had to take a lot of his stuff off my study list because its too recognizable and my brain gets distracted. He's too legendary

I knew I was forgetting somebody!

I had to take a lot of his stuff off my study list because its too recognizable and my brain gets distracted. He's too legendary
Certain scores, I can say the lines of the movie along with the music. So I feel you 😅

Throwing my two cents in - it depends on what I'm studying for/ how seriously I'm taking my studying (do I have an exam tomorrow or in 2 weeks?). Typically I go for classical music or opera (just random "Best of" YouTube/Spotify playlists) for serious studying.

I also listen to movie/tv show soundtracks - my favorite are the Game of Thrones soundtrack (Ramin Djawadi) and Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack (Hans Zimmer + others). I took an online radiology exam at home last year while listening to the POTC soundtrack and honestly I've never been more excited and motivated to take an exam (and it helped me do well!)

Sometimes if I'm not cramming or just sending/answering emails and whatnot I put on really loud EDM music or rap and dance around my room while maintaining a little productivity 😆

i'm also team movie soundtrack!
but, specifically i'd add the soundtrack from avatar: the last airbender (the og, not the random movie that came out)
and then if you also like visuals - there's this channel on youtube i like called 'ambient worlds'. soundtracks, but they add a little something - like a crackle of a fireplace or the 'whoosh' of the ocean. just some random person throws 'em together. but they have like harry potter tracks based on the common rooms of the houses, they have lord of the rings based on region, they have the disney movies. game of thrones. pirates of the caribbean. they have one called 'pure nature ambience'. worth checking out.

that semester flew by. 37.5% done. and since we only have 5 full didactic semesters at my school, it means i'm roughly 60% done with lectures, which is just a massive relief. not a fan of exams.

how are y'all doing?

that semester flew by. 37.5% done. and since we only have 5 full didactic semesters at my school, it means i'm roughly 60% done with lectures, which is just a massive relief. not a fan of exams.

how are y'all doing?
I'm just hanging in there and hoping for the best. I took my last exam on Wednesday and won't be getting the grade back for immunology until mid next week. I got a D in neuroanatomy last semester (horrible horrible class for just about everyone) and our academic probation policy means I could pass all of my classes this semester and still get held back if my grades aren't high enough. Immunology was rough, and as a 12 credit course, it might not even matter that I did well in physiology and parasitology.

We start our most clinically relevant courses next semester and I'm really looking forward to them. My brain soaks that stuff up, it's just the molecular biology and biochem topics that I struggle to absorb in the detail they expect. So, fingers crossed I don't have to take immuno again!

• Care
how are y'all doing?
idk about y’all but the majority of my class I believe is mentally unwell :heckyeah: so that’s fun. I’m just happy I’m halfway through year 2

• Care

how are y'all doing?
OMG I DIDN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT THAT UNTIL NOW - 60% DONE WITH LECTURES :oops: .... I still feel like I don't know anything!

We finish next Thursday (I know) with our pre-clinical assessments and I can't wait to be done! Thankfully we only have one Path exam and a 40 question clinical skills exam and that's it. Next semester is supposed to be the semester from hell so I'll be happy to have a break and catch up on some extracurricular-related (ok... SAVMA.... always SAVMA :rolleyes:) work that I've been putting off before we start back up again on January 3rd (such a long break).

Hope everyone is at least surviving - we're almost halfway done, holy **** when did that happen!? :lol:

• Care