Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we got our schedules today... basically the best part is no exams the week after halloween :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ah, you lucky ducks. Our schedule for this semester is brutal; supposedly it's the most difficult semester, too, which doesn't instill much confidence in me given how much I struggled during first year.

At least I got the first section of micro lab, which means I finish classes at noon on Fridays. :)
Yeah our semester for fall looks pretty much like it's more of last year, just new classes. And our new classes look like they'll be more interesting than last year (which everyone said would be the case), we have micro, parasit, path, and surgical principals, among others. Our really rough semester is supposedly this coming spring... can't wait for that lol

I'm just glad we don't have as many weeks with Monday/Friday exams. They're mostly Mondays, we have only one week other than finals with more than one exam.

The daily schedule is kind of brutal though. More 8-5 days of lecture than we had last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will probably have to break my lease and find a new place to live because I haven't been able to find a roommate despite looking for weeks. Nice way to ease into 2nd year.

Hey everyone I am searching for shadowing opportunities in the Denver/Boulder area and anything in between if anyone has leads that could help me let me know I am all ears of opportunity!! :D

Will probably have to break my lease and find a new place to live because I haven't been able to find a roommate despite looking for weeks. Nice way to ease into 2nd year.
Damn, that sucks :( If you're in an apartment complex, is there any way you can move into a one bedroom in their complex without having to pay the fees for breaking the lease?

Damn, that sucks :( If you're in an apartment complex, is there any way you can move into a one bedroom in their complex without having to pay the fees for breaking the lease?

Haven't found out yet. I'm waiting until the end of the week to decide and contact the rental company. They have a lot of units, but few are pet friendly, and I imagine most are already rented out. The building I'm in doesn't have any 1 bedrooms or studios. I really, really, really don't want to move or lose my security deposit, which is what will probably happen if I don't find anyone. But I also can't afford to keep paying the full rent and then head into the fall when no one will be looking anymore.

Christ, and my husband will likely be leaving his job for another that's too far to commute to, so we'll likely be having to pack up and move the freaking house soon, too. I've moved 6 times in the past 9 years. It's getting a little old.

Haven't found out yet. I'm waiting until the end of the week to decide and contact the rental company. They have a lot of units, but few are pet friendly, and I imagine most are already rented out. The building I'm in doesn't have any 1 bedrooms or studios. I really, really, really don't want to move or lose my security deposit, which is what will probably happen if I don't find anyone. But I also can't afford to keep paying the full rent and then head into the fall when no one will be looking anymore.

Christ, and my husband will likely be leaving his job for another that's too far to commute to, so we'll likely be having to pack up and move the freaking house soon, too. I've moved 6 times in the past 9 years. It's getting a little old.
Jeez, I'm sorry :(

Little bit of an update here: Sort of finished with research, got a couple more days of acting as a lab tech. Gave my presentation yesterday so my project is "done" except for replicating results. Leaving that to others in the lab since next week things get real busy.

And 10 days until my fiancé moves up here!

Reactions: 8 users

:( Sorry you're going through this, I hope it works out! Looking forward to being back in the last row of the lecture hall hating life again with you! :love:

Jeez, I'm sorry :(

Thanks, WZ. If my husband gets this new job at the salary he requested, it'll be a really good move for us, but the literal, actual move is going to suck. So there's some excitement there among the stress, too, at least.

:( Sorry you're going through this, I hope it works out! Looking forward to being back in the last row of the lecture hall hating life again with you! :love:

Just think of how much more cheerful I'll be! :laugh: I am looking forward to classes starting back up, but we do need to decide whether it'll be the very last row or one of those corner ones.

Just think of how much more cheerful I'll be! :laugh: I am looking forward to classes starting back up, but we do need to decide whether it'll be the very last row or one of those corner ones.

The side corner seats have some good things going for them, but let's face it, 99% chance we sit in the back row just because it's easiest to get to lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a way to harness all of this energy that my kitten has and siphon some of it off for use during the school year?

Asking for a friend.

Just watched the troll movie with my kids a few days ago... If you can eat a troll for happiness, I'd reason that you can eat a kitten for energy

Reactions: 4 users
And on this day last year, I packed up all my families stuff, and drove out of California.

I was thinking today about how little I've prepared for school at this point compared to last year. It's like maybe 5% effort.

Reactions: 3 users
And on this day last year, I packed up all my families stuff, and drove out of California.

I was thinking today about how little I've prepared for school at this point compared to last year. It's like maybe 5% effort.
I emailed my little. That is all the school prepping I've done.

Day before 1st day of 1st year - bag packed, ipad charged, stylus ready, books all stacked on my desk, pens and pencils sharpened/full of ink, written notes pre-purchased and neatly in binders, outfit picked out, lunch packed. Also - *arrives over an hour early to get a decent seat*
Morning of 1st day of 3rd year - where's my bag. Do I still have an ipad? its def not charged. Was I supposed to order books? nah. Can I wear yoga pants on day 1? Because I am. Oh there's my ipad, 4% battery...where tf is my charger. I'll borrow someone's when I get there. Crap im late and I didn't pack lunch...Subway it is! I don't need to spend money on the written notes today...I'll make do with the powerpoints.

Reactions: 5 users
Day before 1st day of 1st year - bag packed, ipad charged, stylus ready, books all stacked on my desk, pens and pencils sharpened/full of ink, written notes pre-purchased and neatly in binders, outfit picked out, lunch packed. Also - *arrives over an hour early to get a decent seat*
Morning of 1st day of 3rd year - where's my bag. Do I still have an ipad? its def not charged. Was I supposed to order books? nah. Can I wear yoga pants on day 1? Because I am. Oh there's my ipad, 4% battery...where tf is my charger. I'll borrow someone's when I get there. Crap im late and I didn't pack lunch...Subway it is! I don't need to spend money on the written notes today...I'll make do with the powerpoints.
:laugh: Hahahahahaha

The only books I have kept are Fossum (although I liked Tobias surgery better during my internship), Thrall radiology, Dyce anatomy, and a large variety of clin path books for obvious reasons.

I do like to look things up in books, and in my internship I used Fossum a few times, Thrall like once, and pretty frequently referenced our clinic copies of Dewey Neurology, Coates Neurology, Silverstein Small Animal Critical Care, Vet Emergency and Critical Care Procedures, and very rarely Ettinger internal medicine. And for clin path I think everyone should have Fundamentals of Vet Clinical Pathology by Stockham and Scott along with Canine and Feline Cytology by Raskin. I am really glad I didn't buy tons of books during vet school though.

Reactions: 2 users
We finally got our exam schedule for this semester and it's actually not too terrible??? Our first exam isn't until September 13th, even after that we've got three random weeks without an exam, and we only have one week with two exams. Of course, fewer exams means there's no wiggle room to bomb one. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 users
Just met my buddy from c/o 2021 and showed them around campus! It's getting real that I'm starting 2nd year!!

Just met my buddy from c/o 2021 and showed them around campus! It's getting real that I'm starting 2nd year!!

Presh! I took on 2 littles, so excited to meet them :love:

Reactions: 1 user
So it's a long story that I don't really want to get into, but I can now officially say that I'm joining class of 2020 after being off on medical leave. :) Lots to do, but super excited!

Reactions: 12 users
So it's a long story that I don't really want to get into, but I can now officially say that I'm joining class of 2020 after being off on medical leave. :) Lots to do, but super excited!
Welcome to the best class :D

Guys! I got a firstie mentee! I thought I was joining our class too late to get matched, but I was wrong. :)

Meeting my little tonight :love: We're getting pizza with a couple of my friends and their littles. And then the Camp experience starts at 6:30 tomorrow morning! Facilitator training has actually been kind of awesome so I'm excited to use all the stuff we learned and hopefully help my group have as awesome of a camp experience as I had. I think our facilitators would be proud, almost half of our group from last year is facilitating this year :D

I've got 2 littles and I can't wait to meet them. One is even interested in aquatic animal health - just like me! Woo!

Also, does anyone have any notetaking app suggestions? I don't like OneNote, Notability was just ok.... I tried both last year. Looking to try a new one this upcoming quarter.

I've got 2 littles and I can't wait to meet them. One is even interested in aquatic animal health - just like me! Woo!

Also, does anyone have any notetaking app suggestions? I don't like OneNote, Notability was just ok.... I tried both last year. Looking to try a new one this upcoming quarter.
I've heard good things about Evernote, but I haven't used it myself.

Well, then. Philly law is very landlord-friendly, and the rental company refuses to work with me in moving me to another unit. So if I try to break the lease, they will "engage their attorneys." Don't know how many people I've contacted about the place at this point with no luck at all. The last one seemed promising, but she ghosted and didn't even bother to respond to my follow up email asking her to please let me know if she was still thinking about it or if she had decided on another place. Because my generation apparently treats everything like online dating.

So that's great. I'm very happy. Things are going super great, and I really love Philadelphia.

I MET MY LITTLES TODAY AND I LOVE THEM. :love:

Reactions: 8 users
Well, then. Philly law is very landlord-friendly, and the rental company refuses to work with me in moving me to another unit. So if I try to break the lease, they will "engage their attorneys." Don't know how many people I've contacted about the place at this point with no luck at all. The last one seemed promising, but she ghosted and didn't even bother to respond to my follow up email asking her to please let me know if she was still thinking about it or if she had decided on another place. Because my generation apparently treats everything like online dating.

So that's great. I'm very happy. Things are going super great, and I really love Philadelphia.
I'm so sorry :(

I'm so sorry :(

Thanks, WZ. Hoping someone miraculously falls through the sky and takes the damn room because the thought of requesting thousands more in PLUS loans at 7% interest seriously makes me want to vomit. I don't want to go back to school at all. :(

Anyone got any tips for being a good big sib? I've got an actual little sibling, but I've never been too fond of her.

Any suggestions, or examples would be greatly appreciated. My little would probably appreciate it as well!

Anyone got any tips for being a good big sib? I've got an actual little sibling, but I've never been too fond of her.

Any suggestions, or examples would be greatly appreciated. My little would probably appreciate it as well!

The only things my big and I did was exchange baked goods. It was a perfect relationship.

It depends on what your little wants out of the relationship, and what you want as well. I kind of adore mine so I want to be her best friend but I also don't want to be overbearing. So I think just making sure they know you're available if they need anything, be approachable, answer any questions they have...
Here the tradition is for all the bigs to leave a present for their littles in their classroom on the first day of classes - typically some school Supply stuff, snacks, and candy.
My friends and I are also hosting a wine and cheese night for our littles, which will be fun I think.

Chocolate, lots of it.
I put my study guides along with other hand me downs (practice tests, tables, etc) collected from my big sib from different classes on a thumb drive

Thank goodness I did the majority of my grocery/supply shopping at the beginning of this week as I just got back from Walmart as I needed a few items and it was CRAZY!

Also, freaking out about classes starting tomorrow.... :nailbiting:
bye bye freedom, it was nice knowing you....

My big and I went out to dinner and hit it off really well. Like, we sat talking for 2 1/2 hours!! She basically broke down all the classes we have and gave me tips for each class that worked well for her. She also handed me down a pair of rubber boots (she had two) and her copy of Guide to the Dissection of the Dog. Additionally, she gave me these little "exam" stickers and some great tips on how to keep a good planner for vet school. So, just finding ways to let your little know that they have a rock to lean on during the crazy storm that we are about to enter. In addition to support and encouragement, you can't go wrong with food. Oh! And she also introduced me to HER big which was really nice!

I definitely second all of the above. Another thing I really appreciate about my big is that she texts good luck and/or encouraging gifs on days where we have big exams or weeks when all academic hell is breaking loose. She's also great about checking in periodically and offering words of wisdom about things like surviving pharm :)

Thanks for the big sib tips from over here too everyone!

I just dumped coffee with hemp milk in it into my laptop keyboard. The cat bumped my elbow when I was about to take a sip. Computer went crazy for a few minutes, but now it seems to mostly still be working ok (except stupid Cortana keeps opening and closing...). A dead laptop is just what I don't need right now... only me!

I bought my little chocolate and sparkling wine (she doesn't drink, knew her from undergrad) and she later returned with a five pound bag of sour patch kids. Perfect girl.

I bought my little chocolate and sparkling wine (she doesn't drink, knew her from undergrad) and she later returned with a five pound bag of sour patch kids. Perfect girl.
Is sparkling wine like an o'douls, but the wine version?