Class of 2025... How you doin’?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! Hope you’re all hanging in there as we prepare for finals the next few weeks! Anybody have exciting plans for winter break (vet-related or non-vet-related)?
Doing absolutely nothing! I’m very excited. 🥰

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone! Hope you’re all hanging in there as we prepare for finals the next few weeks! Anybody have exciting plans for winter break (vet-related or non-vet-related)?
Doing absolutely nothing! I’m very excited. 🥰
Same! I'm so excited to have two weeks of nothingness! I *might* try to get a jump on head and neck anatomy for third quarter but honestly that won't happen 😂

Reactions: 2 users
Same! I'm so excited to have two weeks of nothingness! I *might* try to get a jump on head and neck anatomy for third quarter but honestly that won't happen 😂
Take your break!! It's well deserved!! Neck anatomy has been around for millennia. It'll be there after break :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
sleeping, playing some guitar, and hanging out with my pup. i can't wait for a break. maybe some skating, pond hockey, snowboarding. need to see what the weather is like. oh and i want to see if i still know how to read for fun somehow. open to any book suggestions if y'all have any :giggle:
mostly a fan of adventure/travel novels, or historical fiction especially around music; trying to keep it light.

as for animal stuff, keeping it at a minimum. might glance at a couple wild critters and work on some project design, but these are all good things that i'm looking forward to. not doing anything that's gonna add to this chronic tmj headache.

Reactions: 1 users
It seems I'm the only one so far who will be starting a job soon and working over winter break 😂 I desperately need a break, what have I gotten myself into

• Care
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
It seems I'm the only one so far who will be starting a job soon and working over winter break 😂 I desperately need a break, what have I gotten myself into
honestly i don't think it's the worst idea lol i'm low-key going stir crazy without a job. i thought i'd be using a lot of the extra time to study, but i've spent so much of my life working/volunteering that my brain is like 'mmm, nope, best i can do is have you start a garden in your house like the rest of your generation'.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I wish we had more time for winter break! We have our last exam on the 22nd and then start back up again on the 4th 🙃 definitely looking forward to relaxing and doing nothing!

• Care
honestly i don't think it's the worst idea lol i'm low-key going stir crazy without a job. i thought i'd be using a lot of the extra time to study, but i've spent so much of my life working/volunteering that my brain is like 'mmm, nope, best i can do is have you start a garden in your house like the rest of your generation'.
Oh no, don't let my abandoned binders and 27 houseplants hear this 😂

I'm the same exact way. I took a handful of pet sitting jobs through the past few weeks. Thanksgiving break was 4 horses, 2 cows, 4 goats, and 2 dogs at one house, 2 dogs at another. Plus my own horse, gerbils, hamster, ball python, two fish tanks, and plants of course. And my horse's barn owner asked me to pick up weekend barn chores at the same time, which my lack of self control said yes to. My new job wanted me to get started ASAP and I was like, just give me a hot second to question my life choices and pull myself together and I'll be there soon 😂

I wish we had more time for winter break! We have our last exam on the 22nd and then start back up again on the 4th definitely looking forward to relaxing and doing nothing!

Oh really?? That’s no fun :( I finish this Friday and I don’t go back until Jan 10th. They really should give y’all a longer break. But tamu only gave us 2 days for thanksgiving and I was in class in Labor Day. Did y’all get any other holidays this semester?

• Care
  • Wow
Don’t worry, I have a job during winter break too, so you won’t be the only one! I’m back at the USDA office I worked at during the summer. Shouldn’t be too bad, but I am kinda bummed that I don’t get to sleep in on very many days during the break since I will be working 8-5.

However, I am only working 2.5 weeks out of our 4 weeks of break, and I’m going on a relaxing family trip for 5 days, so I will get some rest and relaxation during the break!

I wish we had more time for winter break! We have our last exam on the 22nd and then start back up again on the 4th 🙃 definitely looking forward to relaxing and doing nothing!
Where do you attend school? Only the 3rd years at KSU go back that early, simply because they have to finish sooner before they start clinics.

oh huh lots of variation there with the breaks. mine is somewhere in between, but fairly short too; we have our last final Dec 17th and classes start back up Jan 3rd. but I think having that one extra weekend makes a difference, it'll still be restful.

We have a whopping 3 weeks and 4 weekends break:clap: I plan to work at least 2 10h shifts every week, otherwise I'd stay at home watching crime TV shows all day and ruin my eyes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I’m jealous! Our break is 2.5 weeks, which definitely doesn’t feel long enough! I plan to do absolutely nothing that whole time lol

So jealous about everyone's breaks! Our last final is the 20th and we start back up again on the 3rd 🥴 At least the plan is to not do anything for those two weeks, I'm definitely ready for a break!

How's everyone's finals going? We only have three classes with finals but 5 exams (written + practical for both anatomy and histo), really wishing I had been a little more proactive with studying histo but I think I'll get through it 🙃

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
So jealous about everyone's breaks! Our last final is the 20th and we start back up again on the 3rd 🥴 At least the plan is to not do anything for those two weeks, I'm definitely ready for a break!

How's everyone's finals going? We only have three classes with finals but 5 exams (written + practical for both anatomy and histo), really wishing I had been a little more proactive with studying histo but I think I'll get through it 🙃
they're okay. grateful to share i officially survived biochem. other than biochem, and i guess also nutrition, we have a pretty classic exam week next week. we'll see how that goes lol

and i feel that; i used to draw things pretty often to study for the first half of the semester and most of musculoskeletal anatomy, but it's been tougher to keep up with that for this section somehow.

they're okay. grateful to share i officially survived biochem. other than biochem, and i guess also nutrition, we have a pretty classic exam week next week. we'll see how that goes lol
I have biochem as my first exam. I cannot wait to be done 😂
and i feel that; i used to draw things pretty often to study for the first half of the semester and most of musculoskeletal anatomy, but it's been tougher to keep up with that for this section somehow.
And I know what you mean, I feel like I was on top of my musculoskeletal stuff but for the abdomen and thorax there's just so much random stuff with similar names... every day I'm like "that's not a word they just made that up" 😂 Studying for that exam has been interesting but I think I started enough in advance I'll be able to actually identify most of the stuff they want me to.

Oh really?? That’s no fun :( I finish this Friday and I don’t go back until Jan 10th. They really should give y’all a longer break. But tamu only gave us 2 days for thanksgiving and I was in class in Labor Day. Did y’all get any other holidays this semester?
We had Wed-Fri off for Thanksgiving, which was nice since most everyone could go home, and we did have Labor Day off. I wish we would've started a week earlier at the beginning of the semester and gotten out earlier too lol
Where do you attend school? Only the 3rd years at KSU go back that early, simply because they have to finish sooner before they start clinics.
University of Florida! Although I did hear that this might have been a change from last year, where they had like a gazillion exams in the last week, so that we wouldn't have to suffer quite as badly haha. So I guess it could've been worse!

• Care
We had Wed-Fri off for Thanksgiving, which was nice since most everyone could go home, and we did have Labor Day off. I wish we would've started a week earlier at the beginning of the semester and gotten out earlier too lol

University of Florida! Although I did hear that this might have been a change from last year, where they had like a gazillion exams in the last week, so that we wouldn't have to suffer quite as badly haha. So I guess it could've been worse!
lol why did I not realize you're in my neck of the woods?

• Wow
Reading this thread makes me hella grateful MSU only has one final this week— in cutaneous— and then we’re off for 3.5 weeks 😬

Best of luck to everyone on their finals! We’re so close to being 12.5% veterinarians! 🥰🩺

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats everyone on making it through finals!! We are officially 1/8th of the way to becoming veterinarians!!

After my last final today, I went home and took a relaxing nap, and then I went to the movies to see the new Spider-Man movie! I am definitely looking forward to a restful winter break. Happy holidays everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
How is winter break over already?! 😭 How are y’all feeling about this next semester?

How is winter break over already?! 😭 How are y’all feeling about this next semester?
We're three days into the new semester and so far so good 😂 Historically quarter 3 is our "lightest" quarter of first year - we only have anatomy (finishing up the head), physio, clinical skills, intro to research, and electives for most of this month, then we start Neuro in February but that's it!

After Spring Break we lose anatomy but add nutrition, immuno, and radiology so I'm just taking the time to get prepared for that and do any volunteering and shadowing now because I have a feeling I won't have much free time once those are piled on. Apart from that I was somehow (my application was trash) chosen for our "surgery crew" where 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years get to do "shifts" at our large animal campus working up emergency cases and going to surgery with the clinicians, residents, interns, and fourth years if needed, so I'm ridiculously excited for that!

How's everyone else feeling? I love hearing about everyone else's experiences so far!

I’m feeling my usual beginning of the term stress, but overall pretty ok. A lot of our classes here are continuations from fall (anatomy, physiology, radiology, clinical skills, professional development) so I feel good about those because I know what to expect. But I’m excited because we finally start some clinical stuff this semester! We have a clinical correlations class and basic pathology that I’m really looking forward to. The only class I’m scared of is agents of disease 😬 It’s the first in a two-semester series that’s supposed to be brutal. Granted the second semester is harder than first semester, but the horror stories I’ve heard from second years have me absolutely dreading this class lol

I’m feeling my usual beginning of the term stress, but overall pretty ok. A lot of our classes here are continuations from fall (anatomy, physiology, radiology, clinical skills, professional development) so I feel good about those because I know what to expect. But I’m excited because we finally start some clinical stuff this semester! We have a clinical correlations class and basic pathology that I’m really looking forward to.
Sounds awesome so far! I'm super excited to start radiology, doing ANYTHING remotely clinical at this point is amazing.

The only class I’m scared of is agents of disease 😬 It’s the first in a two-semester series that’s supposed to be brutal. Granted the second semester is harder than first semester, but the horror stories I’ve heard from second years have me absolutely dreading this class lol
Ah good luck, that sounds *scary af*. Thankfully we don't start path or anything disease related until next year so I have a little more time to prepare myself (or die of fear first 😂).

I’m feeling my usual beginning of the term stress, but overall pretty ok. A lot of our classes here are continuations from fall (anatomy, physiology, radiology, clinical skills, professional development) so I feel good about those because I know what to expect. But I’m excited because we finally start some clinical stuff this semester! We have a clinical correlations class and basic pathology that I’m really looking forward to. The only class I’m scared of is agents of disease 😬 It’s the first in a two-semester series that’s supposed to be brutal. Granted the second semester is harder than first semester, but the horror stories I’ve heard from second years have me absolutely dreading this class lol
Be afraid, be very afraid.

Easily some of my least favorite memories from vet school were from that class. Granted I was in the first class they ever taught it to so it was a jumbled mess. I'm sure it's better now than it was but man reading those words in this thread brought back all sorts of unpleasant memories.

But you'll get through it, just like the rest of vet school :)

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Easily some of my least favorite memories from vet school were from that class. Granted I was in the first class they ever taught it to so it was a jumbled mess. I'm sure it's better now than it was but man reading those words in this thread brought back all sorts of unpleasant memories.

But you'll get through it, just like the rest of vet school :)
AOD was a ... bonding experience with my class. Or something.

You'll survive it, @vetsquared. I suggest studying what makes particular diseases/organisms unique rather than trying to memorize every single detail about them. I did the latter for all of AOD 1 and most of AOD 2, and the only AOD exam I legitimately crushed was the AOD II final, where I threw my hands in the air, said there was too much to remember to memorize all of it, and just learned a couple facts about each thing that made them stand out.

for those who go to ohio, what made yall decide to attend tosu?
In state tuition lol (i love it for other reasons obviously but $$$ is always first with $250k in debt after 4 years). Can’t stress enough about going to the cheapest school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
finally starting to feel the earth under me again. it's not that relevant i guess but i wanted to say man am i glad i chose a school that's relatively close to home; 7 hr drive or so. had a serious unexpected family emergency over winter break and while things are stable and getting under control, it's comforting to know i can get home short notice if i have to. it's been a lot; i had to miss the first week of classes. i have a quiz and an exam next week but found my perspective has shifted a lot these past several weeks; right now i'm just seeing how i do. there's more to life. i'm also in a position where apparently i can take family medical leave if i need to, if i find i'm not keeping up. hopefully that won't be the case. life really hits hard and fast sometimes.

it's so easy to look back and think 'what if i'd chosen this school? how would my plans have changed? how would that have changed the above experience? what would've happened?' but for now just grateful for where i'm at. and also therapy. and the encanto soundtrack.

and while school is kind of a drag -- anatomy of the head is a trip -- i'm finding i'm at least interested in immunology, and i really like my selective on loons. taking things one day at a time.

how are yall doing?

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
for those who go to ohio, what made yall decide to attend tosu?
i didn't end up going to tosu but i was very close to choosing it over tufts. i loved the school. it's beautiful and modern. i got to see their simulation lab and it was really nice. and they have food places inside their school buildings which now strikes me as so so important because we don't really have that at my school - we have like a dining hall sort of thing at it closes at 3. but tosu had a subway (with i think normal-ish hours?), and i still remember that lol. their hospital was beautiful. their library was nice. and (correct me if i'm wrong -- just going off what my friend told me) dogs were allowed on campus! dogs are not allowed on campus at my current school. the neighborhood was urban and energizing with lots of options for good food. objectively there's a lot i liked about ohio more than tufts tbh; but in rory gilmore fashion i drew a venn diagram pro/con list sorta thing and tufts won by literally one point. i don't regret my choice - just low-key still a tosu stan :)

finally starting to feel the earth under me again. it's not that relevant i guess but i wanted to say man am i glad i chose a school that's relatively close to home; 7 hr drive or so. had a serious unexpected family emergency over winter break and while things are stable and getting under control, it's comforting to know i can get home short notice if i have to. it's been a lot; i had to miss the first week of classes. i have a quiz and an exam next week but found my perspective has shifted a lot these past several weeks; right now i'm just seeing how i do. there's more to life. i'm also in a position where apparently i can take family medical leave if i need to, if i find i'm not keeping up. hopefully that won't be the case. life really hits hard and fast sometimes.
it's so easy to look back and think 'what if i'd chosen this school? how would my plans have changed? how would that have changed the above experience? what would've happened?' but for now just grateful for where i'm at. and also therapy.
Oh my gosh I'm glad things are ok (or getting back to ok?)! Honestly, I completely get how you're feeling about choosing a school relatively close to home. I've seen my family more in the last month than I had in the last two years (thankfully not for an emergency) and I think about how if I had gone overseas for school, I wouldn't have had that opportunity. I'm just so relieved to hear that you were about to be able to be with them during this time. Everything happens for a reason. Exams can be made up (And honestly grades don't really matter do they? That's what I keep telling myself 😆), but the time spent with family can't. It seems like you're doing everything you can to take care of yourself as well. If you need anything, even just someone to listen to, my inbox is always open!

and the encanto soundtrack.
ok everyone is talking about this and I feel like I'm missing out. Maybe I'll replace my current study music (classical music haha) with this as I try to find the will to study for tomorrow's physio exam.
and while school is kind of a drag -- anatomy of the head is a trip -- i'm finding i'm at least interested in immunology, and i really like my selective on loons. taking things one day at a time.

how are yall doing?
I feel like things slowed down a lot this semester, which is really bad for me because then I try to find things to occupy my schedule. I can foresee myself being absolutely f****d Quarter 4 between my extracurriculars and all of the classes we start then. At least anatomy will be over so I don't have to wake up and go to campus, I can just do class from my bed (or sleep/ do other things during it and review the lectures later).

Anatomy of the head is wild. It *seems* like it should be easy but then there's all the little holes in the skull and cranial nerves and THE DANG PHARYNGEAL/THYROID/LARYNGEAL/TONGUE muscles. Why do they all have to sound the same?

The loons selective sounds super interesting! What does it entail? We have a wildlife elective, which has been cool. It's mostly lecture and lab based though, although there are volunteering opportunities at a local wildlife center.

Aside from that, I'm ready for Spring Break (only a month away) and to be done Anatomy. Also still haven't figured out my summer plans but not stressing about that now.

THE DANG PHARYNGEAL/THYROID/LARYNGEAL/TONGUE muscles. Why do they all have to sound the same?
Half of them are named for where they start and end. Hyoglossus? The hyoid to the tongue (glossus). The chin is genio (genioglossus and geniohyoideus). Cricopharyngeal? Cricoid cartilage to the pharynx. Just sing cotton eyed joe all day erryday.
There’s also the Three Sisters, Hyo, Thyro, and Crico. Those are the 3 pharyngeals that are next to each other in order from the tongue caudally.

Oh my gosh I'm glad things are ok (or getting back to ok?)! Honestly, I completely get how you're feeling about choosing a school relatively close to home. I've seen my family more in the last month than I had in the last two years (thankfully not for an emergency) and I think about how if I had gone overseas for school, I wouldn't have had that opportunity. I'm just so relieved to hear that you were about to be able to be with them during this time. Everything happens for a reason. Exams can be made up (And honestly grades don't really matter do they? That's what I keep telling myself 😆), but the time spent with family can't. It seems like you're doing everything you can to take care of yourself as well. If you need anything, even just someone to listen to, my inbox is always open!
thank you!!

to add to my laundry list of chaos, i come from the world of natural gas heating, and a lot of new england uses oil. so i ran out of heating oil and woke up to it being like 45 degrees in my apartment. i'm from a cold weather climate (ie - most people are concerned about the upcoming snowstorm and i'm like , 'eh, two feet? okay') and my house back home is drafty and gets cold from time to time but the only time we lost heat was during an october snowstorm in 2006. so running out of oil is kind of new to me. hoping the oil guys get here before it snows.

but yes, things are okay. i'm trying to be cautiously optimistic. and i have a really strong support network in my family and close friends so i'm just taking things one day at a time. and trying to focus on little things. i'm taking more meaningful breaks; so cooking healthier food now that i know cardiovascular disease runs on both sides of my family, exercising more, painting more, playing more guitar etc rather than time i assume i would just be doom-scrolling social media or watching tv. and i think it's been helping my mental health a bit. and i'm finding even if it means i lose out on an hour of study time each day, the quality of my study time has increased; like retaining information better. i'm sure it's a balancing act but for right now seems like it's beneficial. we'll see how the physiology exam goes lol

ok everyone is talking about this and I feel like I'm missing out. Maybe I'll replace my current study music (classical music haha) with this as I try to find the will to study for tomorrow's physio exam.

did you end up listening to the encanto soundtrack?? it's been stuck in my head endlessly and the movie kind of reminds me of my family; growing up my household was blended multigenerational for a year or two so i *loved* seeing that representation. and even now i collectively spend probably a month or so -- maybe a little more per year -- living with my whole family; like when we visit my grandma in poland lol all like seven of us in our one-bedroom family apartment. just really cool. i'm not sure if it'll have the same appeal to everyone but it was great. and there's a kid who can talk to animals in it, so vet students rejoice haha

I feel like things slowed down a lot this semester, which is really bad for me because then I try to find things to occupy my schedule. I can foresee myself being absolutely f****d Quarter 4 between my extracurriculars and all of the classes we start then. At least anatomy will be over so I don't have to wake up and go to campus, I can just do class from my bed (or sleep/ do other things during it and review the lectures later).

Anatomy of the head is wild. It *seems* like it should be easy but then there's all the little holes in the skull and cranial nerves and THE DANG PHARYNGEAL/THYROID/LARYNGEAL/TONGUE muscles. Why do they all have to sound the same?
yeah i splurged on the saunders flashcards on amazon and a coloring book. i just like don't have the time to draw everything like i used to -- trying to get patterns down and everything. even though i like pathology i'm excited that the dissection component of anatomy is winding down. there's something exhausting about it. i'm also trying to take smaller bites until exam week. like this past week i would go in and spend half an hr with prosections every day i was on campus. next week i'll do maybe a half hour when i get to campus and a half hour after. and then the week after, exam week, double it again. i think i'm still experimenting with what works best for me.

The loons selective sounds super interesting! What does it entail? We have a wildlife elective, which has been cool. It's mostly lecture and lab based though, although there are volunteering opportunities at a local wildlife center.
basically right now i'm learning how to read avian radiographs as well as some basics about biology & ecology and study design. then this summer as long as my parents' health stays stable i will be going to new hampshire and working with their loon center, doing a mix of field biology, wildlife rehab and helping establish some field medicine techniques - like portable radiography! so this is basically all prep for that. i'm excited. it kind of keeps me going.

thank you!!

to add to my laundry list of chaos, i come from the world of natural gas heating, and a lot of new england uses oil. so i ran out of heating oil and woke up to it being like 45 degrees in my apartment. i'm from a cold weather climate (ie - most people are concerned about the upcoming snowstorm and i'm like , 'eh, two feet? okay') and my house back home is drafty and gets cold from time to time but the only time we lost heat was during an october snowstorm in 2006. so running out of oil is kind of new to me. hoping the oil guys get here before it snows.
As a New Englander I feel this - unconcerned about the snow. There was no one out this morning and then there's me trekking to get coffee in the snow in sweatpants and boots 😂 However the heat in my room DOES NOT WORK. Luckily I have plenty of blankets and sweaters! Hope the oil guys got there in time and you're keeping warm - how much snow have y'all gotten? My brother said he had 6+ inches up in Dover, NH!
but yes, things are okay. i'm trying to be cautiously optimistic. and i have a really strong support network in my family and close friends so i'm just taking things one day at a time. and trying to focus on little things. i'm taking more meaningful breaks; so cooking healthier food now that i know cardiovascular disease runs on both sides of my family, exercising more, painting more, playing more guitar etc rather than time i assume i would just be doom-scrolling social media or watching tv. and i think it's been helping my mental health a bit. and i'm finding even if it means i lose out on an hour of study time each day, the quality of my study time has increased; like retaining information better. i'm sure it's a balancing act but for right now seems like it's beneficial. we'll see how the physiology exam goes lol
I'm glad things are getting better! It sounds like you're doing things that not only help you physically but mentally and academically as well! Let us know how the physio exam goes - I'm sure you'll do just fine, it sounds like the changes that you've made are really helping!
did you end up listening to the encanto soundtrack?? it's been stuck in my head endlessly and the movie kind of reminds me of my family; growing up my household was blended multigenerational for a year or two so i *loved* seeing that representation. and even now i collectively spend probably a month or so -- maybe a little more per year -- living with my whole family; like when we visit my grandma in poland lol all like seven of us in our one-bedroom family apartment. just really cool. i'm not sure if it'll have the same appeal to everyone but it was great. and there's a kid who can talk to animals in it, so vet students rejoice haha
I actually haven't yet - I got busy with other things and plain old forgot🥴 Now that I don't have another exam until the end of February, I'm planning to actually watch the movie, super excited about it, I've heard such good things. I love that they're putting out movies that people from different backgrounds and families can relate to, we need more of that in this world!
yeah i splurged on the saunders flashcards on amazon and a coloring book. i just like don't have the time to draw everything like i used to -- trying to get patterns down and everything. even though i like pathology i'm excited that the dissection component of anatomy is winding down. there's something exhausting about it. i'm also trying to take smaller bites until exam week. like this past week i would go in and spend half an hr with prosections every day i was on campus. next week i'll do maybe a half hour when i get to campus and a half hour after. and then the week after, exam week, double it again. i think i'm still experimenting with what works best for me.
I agree - I need to go in more and study prosections for this one. I also try and do a little bit at a time and review frequently - it definitely helps me retain more!
basically right now i'm learning how to read avian radiographs as well as some basics about biology & ecology and study design. then this summer as long as my parents' health stays stable i will be going to new hampshire and working with their loon center, doing a mix of field biology, wildlife rehab and helping establish some field medicine techniques - like portable radiography! so this is basically all prep for that. i'm excited. it kind of keeps me going.
That's SO COOL, what an exciting opportunity! New Hampshire loves their loons, so to be able to help improve their health and preserve the loon population is super exciting - my undergrad (UNH) had a pathologist (also my advisor) who did a bunch of loon research so I've had the pleasure of listening to her talk about the loon population and her research and whatnot. My wildlife class is becoming more hands-on (it was not last semester) - we just had a wet lab (with cadavers, of course) where we learned how to bandage wings, do SQ and IM injections, and the coolest - intraosseous catheters! There's something so satisfying about feeling the needle slide into the marrow 😆

I just put all of my assignments, quizzes, and exams for the semester in my planner. Feeling a bit overwhelmed seeing it all in front of me, but I know I can do it!

Last semester wasn’t easy, but I learned a lot of study methods and good coping mechanisms to make the challenge of vet school easier. Just need to stay motivated and on top of my schoolwork.

Now to study for my first exam over the cardiology unit of physiology 2!

Good luck everyone on your second semester! We’re going to be 25% veterinarians in just a few months!

• Care
  • Love
I hope everyone's doing well now that we're around a month into the semester! Just wanted to post to let you all know about an opportunity working for the USDA. The USAJOBS posting for the Saul T. Wilson Internship/Scholarship program with the USDA is accepting applications again. I highly recommend applying if you're considering a job working for the federal government. I am a current Saul T. Wilson scholar and can answer questions if y'all have any!

As a New Englander I feel this - unconcerned about the snow. There was no one out this morning and then there's me trekking to get coffee in the snow in sweatpants and boots 😂 However the heat in my room DOES NOT WORK. Luckily I have plenty of blankets and sweaters! Hope the oil guys got there in time and you're keeping warm - how much snow have y'all gotten? My brother said he had 6+ inches up in Dover, NH!

I'm glad things are getting better! It sounds like you're doing things that not only help you physically but mentally and academically as well! Let us know how the physio exam goes - I'm sure you'll do just fine, it sounds like the changes that you've made are really helping!

I actually haven't yet - I got busy with other things and plain old forgot🥴 Now that I don't have another exam until the end of February, I'm planning to actually watch the movie, super excited about it, I've heard such good things. I love that they're putting out movies that people from different backgrounds and families can relate to, we need more of that in this world!

That's SO COOL, what an exciting opportunity! New Hampshire loves their loons, so to be able to help improve their health and preserve the loon population is super exciting - my undergrad (UNH) had a pathologist (also my advisor) who did a bunch of loon research so I've had the pleasure of listening to her talk about the loon population and her research and whatnot. My wildlife class is becoming more hands-on (it was not last semester) - we just had a wet lab (with cadavers, of course) where we learned how to bandage wings, do SQ and IM injections, and the coolest - intraosseous catheters! There's something so satisfying about feeling the needle slide into the marrow 😆
oh we ended up with about two feet from that storm! and a surprise 10 inches or so just a couple of days ago that the forecasters totally missed. my hometown is still winning the golden snowglobe though lol
which if you haven't heard of: Current Top 25 Snowiest US Cities | Golden Snow Globe National Snow Contest Snowiest US City Pop 100,000+

did you ever end up watching encanto?

and that is awesome!! i've still not placed an io catheter yet. your wildlife class sounds really cool :)
i did start volunteering at the wildlife hospital on campus though. i swapped around my schedule; i have typically remote, recorded classes on one morning of the week and i figured, ya know, let's just watch those on weekends. i needed to do something that made vet school feel worth while. i'm not really a big picture kind of person and the thought of even waiting til summer.. nope. but yeah i'm really excited about the summer! here's hoping it all goes well. i think i might actually work with unh a bit if i'm not mistaken!

anyone in this forum happen to love immunology and have any advice on how to make sense of it? i'm doing all the things; going to lecture, making flashcards, reading -- and even finding it super interesting! but seem to have little ability to retain it. not sure how to change up my system for this one.

anyone in this forum happen to love immunology and have any advice on how to make sense of it? i'm doing all the things; going to lecture, making flashcards, reading -- and even finding it super interesting! but seem to have little ability to retain it. not sure how to change up my system for this one.
Try narrative studying, maybe? Immunology is easy to anthropomorphize and you might find it easier to remember what receptors and ligands etc do when you frame it as if they have personalities and agency.

I really liked the YouTube videos by Armando Hasudnagan when I was studying for my path board immunology stuff. It’s a lecture type video where he explains stuff, draws, and annotates as he talks. I found the combination of listening, seeing, and having the visual helped me retain it.

How is everyone doing? Everyone in my class is stressed for our large animal anatomy midterm tomorrow, but then we get a wonderful wonderful week off for spring break!! Just need to push through one more day :hungover:

• Care
How is everyone doing? Everyone in my class is stressed for our large animal anatomy midterm tomorrow, but then we get a wonderful wonderful week off for spring break!! Just need to push through one more day :hungover:
I hope it goes well! We have our first large animal exam when we get back from break. But we have GI phys tomorrow and after accidentally deleting 100 pages of notes 🙃 I'm kinda dreading it.

Other than that just trying to take things one day at a time.

• Wow
  • Care
I hope it goes well! We have our first large animal exam when we get back from break. But we have GI phys tomorrow and after accidentally deleting 100 pages of notes 🙃 I'm kinda dreading it.

Other than that just trying to take things one day at a time.
Oh man, that’s my biggest fear! I hope your exams go well!