Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LyraGardenia

Kansas State c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone wondered in the class of 2020 applicants thread if it was about time to start this thread, soooo I figured I'd go for it! :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Class of 2016...we will be graduates when Class of 2020 starts vet school! Good luck all! Enjoy the ride!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like this thread needs a big grumpy cat pic from @DVMDream .....

(P.S. Congrats gang.... enjoy the next four years!)

Funny-Cats-Top-49-Most-Funniest-Grumpy-Cat-Quotes-4.jpg

Reactions: 18 users
You guys, we're going to be vets... Is this real life?!?!

Reactions: 12 users
Eeee this thread is exciting! What schools is everyone currently deciding on?

I've been accepted to Kansas State, just interviewed at WSU and have an interview at U of I in a week and a half. Also waiting to hear from Oklahoma who doesn't interview. I would be happy to go to any of those schools! If I get accepted to multiple schools, it's definitely going to be a tough decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi future colleagues! I'll be attending MIZZOU! Anyone else attending Mizzou with meeeee? I'm curious to know where everyone is going! So excited to start guys! In four years we will be vets!

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted to Kansas too! And Western.
Waiting to hear back from Purdue and Midwestern after my interviews, and I still have the UofI interview to look forward to!

I honestly still find it hard to believe that I've been accepted anywhere. But I'm totally looking forward to meeting my future classmates/colleagues and struggling through the process together. :p

Not looking forward to the inevitable, difficult decision of deciding which school to go to... May or may not be asking for help deciding at that point! ;)

I honestly still find it hard to believe that I've been accepted anywhere

Yeah it still hasn't fully sank in for me either!

I've been accepted to AVC and am waiting on Iowa, Tennessee, Tufts, and Auburn :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be attending Midwestern University :) so excited!

Reactions: 6 users
Wheeeeeeee!!!!

Applied to only Midwestern, got into Midwestern, attending Midwestern! Wooo!

Reactions: 3 users
And if you're asking how I'm doing, I'd say well because classes haven't started yet and I'm not currently taking any. I can guarantee I'll change my tune once school starts. :p

Class of 2016...we will be graduates when Class of 2020 starts vet school! Good luck all! Enjoy the ride!

"Enjoy" I'm more of a just be glad you make it through without actually ripping your hair out. Can't guarantee it won't go gray though. ;)

Congratulations everyone!!

This may be an odd request, but I want everyone to bottle up that "OMG, cloud-nine, top-of-the-world" feeling for me. When your in the middle of 3 exams in 2 days 10 months from now, you'll need that feeling to remind you why you're doing this. Regardless of how you overwhelmed you may feel, just remember you were accepted for a reason, and you guys can do it!!

Congrats again to class of 2020!! :D

Reactions: 23 users

I've been accepted to Kansas State, just interviewed at WSU and have an interview at U of I in a week and a half. Also waiting to hear from Oklahoma who doesn't interview. I would be happy to go to any of those schools! If I get accepted to multiple schools, it's definitely going to be a tough decision.
I was also accepted to Kansas State! Waiting to hear from my IS Iowa State, should be heading next week! Also interview at Illinois February 15!

I was accepted to Mizzou, MSU and Penn so far. Waiting on Iowa, Tufts and Ohio. I'm pretty darn sure I'm going to Penn, but waiting on those last few decisions to make an official decision.

I'm posting here now since I was accepted this cycle, but there is a chance I'll be c/o 2021 instead since I got into a dual degree program. I'm still waiting to hear back from 3/4 schools, so I guess I'll make an official decision on whether to be c/o 2020 or 2021 after they get back to me. ;)

Ahhhh, so weird to be posting here! It hasn't quite set in yet. I've been accepted to UC Davis, CSU, and Cornell so far (apparently the C schools are my thing), and still waiting to hear back from 4 more schools. I feel so fortunate, but making a decision is going to be tough!

Congratulations everyone!!

This may be an odd request, but I want everyone to bottle up that "OMG, cloud-nine, top-of-the-world" feeling for me. When your in the middle of 3 exams in 2 days 10 months from now, you'll need that feeling to remind you why you're doing this. Regardless of how you overwhelmed you may feel, just remember you were accepted for a reason, and you guys can do it!!

Congrats again to class of 2020!! :D
Funny you say this. I had to pull out my acceptance letter the other day to get me out of me 'everything is **** why am I here' mood.

This had better have been meant as a joke, or I will personally reach through the Internets and throttle you. :)
After reading the threads with the one angry husband of the woman who couldn't pass them I consider NAVLE to be a curse word. Such anger that guy...
I'm so glad she finally passed...

After reading the threads with the one angry husband of the woman who couldn't pass them I consider NAVLE to be a curse word. Such anger that guy...
I'm so glad she finally passed...

Yeah... but remember that her experience was exceptionally aberrant (and her husband obviously had a lot of displaced anger). The *overwhelming* majority of candidates pass on the first try.

Boards is not something to think about when you just got accepted. Enjoy getting accepted. Celebrate. Get your life in order. Exercise. Have a fun summer. Put your bills on auto-pay. All that good stuff.

Yeah... but remember that her experience was exceptionally aberrant. The *overwhelming* majority of candidates pass on the first try.

Boards is not something to think about when you just got accepted. Enjoy getting accepted. Celebrate. Get your life in order. Exercise. Have a fun summer. Put your bills on auto-pay. All that good stuff.
Oh I know like 98% overall or something ridiculous pass, that's what made reading all those hair pulling posts almost comical.
I'm not worried. You put in the work you'll do fine. :)

Yeah... but remember that her experience was exceptionally aberrant (and her husband obviously had a lot of displaced anger). The *overwhelming* majority of candidates pass on the first try.

I knew I forgot something...

Oh I know like 98% overall or something ridiculous pass, that's what made reading all those hair pulling posts almost comical.
I'm not worried. You put in the work you'll do fine. :)

Everybody stresses about it, in spite of the statistics. I was neurological. But you shouldn't start that <now>.

Everybody stresses about it, in spite of the statistics. I was neurological. But you shouldn't start that <now>.

I feel like the pass rate makes it worse in a way. You don't wanna be that 1/100 that fails... :scared:

Way to twist an amazing pass rate to be a negative, heyyimhayley, way to twist it. :)

Not trying to make it a negative, I'm just justifying why we're all nervous despite the wonderful pass rate. :p

It's like when the class average was a 45 and you got a 65, you feel great. But if the class average was an 85 and you got a 65, you feel stupid. Same grade, but different feelings about it.

Not trying to make it a negative, I'm just justifying why we're all nervous despite the wonderful pass rate. :p

It's like when the class average was a 45 and you got a 65, you feel great. But if the class average was an 85 and you got a 65, you feel stupid. Same grade, but different feelings about it.
I'm coming to learn that when you feel like you're the lowest score, you usually aren't. Not that it matters who got what (it matters to you what you get), but I understand not wanting to be at the bottom of the class. Even if you are, no one has to know.

Really? Huh. Ok.

I always felt like "Yay I passed!" regardless of whether I was in the top 10% or the lowest 10%.

Vet school made me not care about grades.

And seriously, the next person who is just starting vet school who I hear talk about being nervous about boards... I might lose it. It's four freaking years away. You won't (shouldn't) even start studying for 3.5 years.

Reactions: 8 users
Really? Huh. Ok.

I always felt like "Yay I passed!" regardless of whether I was in the top 10% or the lowest 10%.

Vet school made me not care about grades.

I'm coming to learn that when you feel like you're the lowest score, you usually aren't. Not that it matters who got what (it matters what you get), but I understand not wanting to be at the bottom of the class. Even if you are, no one has to know.

Yeah it's something that I think will be a hard adjustment for me... being okay with not being at the top/not getting A's all the time. I'm sure other pre-vets will relate to being very grade obsessed in undergrad. I'm going to have to learn how to be more "okay" with lower grades ... since the bottom of the class still becomes a veterinarian! I'm going to have to adjust my way of thinking about it I guess.

Yeah it's something that I think will be a hard adjustment for me... being okay with not being at the top/not getting A's all the time. I'm sure other pre-vets will related to being very grade obsessed in undergrad. I'm going to have to learn how to be more "okay" with lower grades ... since the bottom of the class still becomes a veterinarian! I'm going to have to adjust my way of thinking about it I guess.
All you have to do is do your best. If that is an A, fantastic, if it is one point above passing, great. You are the one that has to be satisfied with the effort you put in, not comparing it to others. Easier said than done, but that is my take on it.

When do you usually take the boards? Before you graduate, right?

All you have to do is do your best. If that is an A, fantastic, if it is one point above passing, great. You are the one that has to be satisfied with the effort you put in, not comparing it to others. Easier said than done, but that is my take on it.

Yes, I agree, that's what I mean by changing my way of thinking about it. Instead of striving for As, striving for "my best," and I'l figure out what that is once I get there. Thanks :)

Yes, I agree, that's what I mean by changing my way of thinking about it. Instead of striving for As, striving for "my best," and I'l figure out what that is once I get there. Thanks :)
Yep. Vet school is great for quickly showing you what you are naturally good at and don't have to spend as much effort, vs what takes some work and changing goals accordingly.

Bookmark this post and come back to it in a few months :)

It's a harder transition for some people to make and you'll probably still stress about it for a bit the first semester. By 2nd year, I just wanted to pass and it didn't matter to me by how much (with few exceptions like the areas I wanted to concentrate on - exotic animal med, etc)

Haha how did the topic of boards get brought up already? :shrug: The biggest thing on my brain right now is trying to get this darn thesis cranked out and pass my exam to graduate a little over a month before vet school starts. Everyone who is done with classes should definitely take time to themselves before school starts. Boards are soooooo far away and asinine to stress over now, even the first exam at this point. Celebrate and enjoy yourselves before the 4 years of craziness that lies ahead :banana:

Reactions: 4 users
One of the doctors at work has brought up NAVLE a couple of times, giving me advice and sharing how she approached it. All unsolicited, since I never so much as mentioned it. So you guys should go nag her about it. :D

Waiting to hear from my IS, which is the last school I have to hear from. In the meantime, I have to finish up biochem (blegh), and this commuting BS is getting really old really quickly. I'm not a fan of the school I'm at, either. It's stupid expensive even for an in-state public school, and they've hit me with so many extra fees. I have to get a $100 parking pass for the lot that's so far from campus that you have to take a bus to get anywhere. Parking permits for the parking decks on campus run up to $600. It's freaking absurd.

Is anyone going to end up in a completely different climate than they're used to when they go to vet school?

One thing I'm terrified about is having to deal with snow and ice in the winter. No matter where I end up, I will have to deal with some snow and freezing temperatures. I'm used to winters that stay in the 60s and we maybe have one ice/snow "storm" a year if we're lucky. How do people live with the cold?! I guess I will find out :confused: someone will have to teach me how to winter...

Is anyone going to end up in a completely different climate than they're used to when they go to vet school?

One thing I'm terrified about is having to deal with snow and ice in the winter. No matter where I end up, I will have to deal with some snow and freezing temperatures. I'm used to winters that stay in the 60s and we maybe have one ice/snow "storm" a year if we're lucky. How do people live with the cold?! I guess I will find out :confused: someone will have to teach me how to winter...
Buy a good coat, thick socks, warm/waterproof boots, and you'll do fine! Layering is important, too. Buy de-icing windshield washer fluid and keep an ice scraper/snow brush in your car. And remember not to accelerate while turning when there's snow/ice....had to explain that to a Floridian classmate :p