Class of 2017 cycle opening!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how long it took AACPMAS to forward your released MCAT scores? I just got mine back today and released them at like 1:30. Also, anyone who applied to AZPOD, I called them and the lady in admissions told me that I would have to release my scores through AACOMAS for them to receive the scores...was she just confused or is that true? Either way I released them there as well! haha Cover all my bases.

Paid my seat deposit for DMU. Here I come Des Moines!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed/attended Samuel Merritt - CSPM can tell me a little bit about the area and what there is to do in Oakland/San Francisco? I'm driving up from SoCal soon for my interview and I'll be staying there for a couple days so me and my girlfriend can play around in NorCal.

The Presidents' report for all 9 schools is out for this year. This report is created every year to promote collaboration and the sharing of information between schools. Every year, the same few schools "decline" to participate in sharing pass rates.

Not that these numbers and pass rates mean much, but why be so sketchy and shady?

...Also, anyone who applied to AZPOD, I called them and the lady in admissions told me that I would have to release my scores through AACOMAS for them to receive the scores...was she just confused or is that true?.

My scores were received by AZPOD just fine through AACPMAS. They sent me an email the day my application was submitted (September 26th) saying they had received it, and I received an interview invite on October 5th.

My scores were received by AZPOD just fine through AACPMAS. They sent me an email the day my application was submitted (September 26th) saying they had received it, and I received an interview invite on October 5th.

Awesome! Thanks!

The Presidents' report for all 9 schools is out for this year. This report is created every year to promote collaboration and the sharing of information between schools. Every year, the same few schools "decline" to participate in sharing pass rates.

Not that these numbers and pass rates mean much, but why be so sketchy and shady?

Link?

Will DMU placed me on alternate list... !@^*!&@!

Oh well I'll be honest through the process in this thread. I'm not sure if it was stats, or interview answers. I did feel like I said overall good answers, and nothing to outrageous.

I will have to self reflect in these upcoming interviews.

Out of fear, I might apply to a few more. I placed my eggs in the DMU, AZPOD, and CSPM basket.

Will DMU placed me on alternate list... !@^*!&@!

Oh well I'll be honest through the process in this thread. I'm not sure if it was stats, or interview answers. I did feel like I said overall good answers, and nothing to outrageous.

I will have to self reflect in these upcoming interviews.

Your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of fear, I might apply to a few more. I placed my eggs in the DMU, AZPOD, and CSPM basket.

If you are happy with AZPOD or CSPM, don't waste the money on schools you won't be happy with. I know you're freaking out right now, but honestly, it's not time to freak out yet. It's still extremely early. Get decisions from AZPOD and CSPM, and if they are unfavorable, apply to some other schools. If you don't add more schools until november/december, you are still ahead of the game.

Thank for the outlook.

I am a stats man by night, and know odds are still good, and to be 100% honest az, and ca are way closer to home.

So even though it would be nice to have a sure shot seat at dmu, it is what it is. So when anyone ever ask who gets rejected to pod school point them in my direction.

looking forward to hearing back from Barry today, more concerned with the scholarship they will offer than anything else. Will be choosing between Barry and DMU soon.

looking forward to hearing back from Barry today, more concerned with the scholarship they will offer than anything else. Will be choosing between Barry and DMU soon.
Did they ever get back to you???

Did they ever get back to you???

Actually, no. Amy said she would get back with us today too, so idk.. Oh well. My mind is pretty much made anyhow, unless I get a substantial scholarship from barry.

How was the first round of Scholl interviews for those of you who were there?

How was the first round of Scholl interviews for those of you who were there?

I was much more impressed with Scholl than I expected to be! I think the size of the university, with the presence of all the students from different programs was welcoming.

Paid my deposit today, headed to Des Moines next fall!

I was much more impressed with Scholl than I expected to be! I think the size of the university, with the presence of all the students from different programs was welcoming.

That's good to hear! I'm looking forward to checking things out myself.

Paid my deposit today, headed to Des Moines next fall!

Did the same thing last night, see you soon!

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Okay I might just submit to DMU right now too... I liked Scholl a lot, but even though people make fun of Des Moines, it's a lot "nicer" and busier than North Chicago... I know some 3rd years will live in Chicago at SCPM, but that's only one year, whereas 3 years in a small, clean city will probably be better than 2 years in the rural area and 1 year in the big city (plus, commuting 3rd year from Chicago would be a biznitch).

Another thing I really liked about Scholl that DMU didn't offer is the 24 hour libraries. So, if I need to use quiet study space at like 1 am, I can. Des Moines' library closes at 12 am, and I have found that I get my best studying done between 1 am and 5 am....

Also, I liked Scholl's clinical/clerkship schedule better than DMU's. Start in the clinic as a 2nd year instead of beginning of 3rd... I'm not exactly sure how you know what you're doing at this point, but if it wasn't effective, I doubt they would do it at this point.

Scholl also did a fantastic job selling me on residency placements/programs. Although they have a worse match rate than DMU, they told us that programs consistently BEG for Scholl students at their clerkships. I'm sure any program could have told me that, but the fact that Scholl did say something like that was impressive.

All that being said, I think I'd prefer to live in Des Moines. Plus, the academics at DMU seem to be better. 100% residency placement, ~100% boardpass rate. This past year 6 people from Scholl passed step 2 and didn't place (4 others didn't pass, and obviously didn't place). I don't anticipate letting myself get into this situation, but it's reassuring nonetheless to see that DMU typically doesn't let ANYONE not place. (Even with class size differences, this would mean DMU has 2 people fail part 2, and 3 more not match). In 2012, DMU had a 100% part II pass rate.

DMU has much smaller class sizes, which gives them more attention from the professors and when clerkship/residency directors come to campus, I'll have a bigger opportunity to be able to make an impression on them when there are half as many students talking to them.

I'm probably reading into the rates a bit too much - especially when we're talking about sample sizes between 50-100, but the results seem consistent in the past 5 years.

Smaller class sizes holds true with student orgs too. If I ever want to run for APMSA rep, or any officer positions, I have twice the chance at DMU than I would at Scholl.

The wellness center at DMU makes Scholl's look sophomoric. For such a large health science university, I would expect Scholl to focus more on wellness, but their workout facilities were very poor. On the tour, they even suggested that LA Fitness was close by if you wanted something better.

In addition, for me, DMU is about 4 hours closer to home. If I want to drive home for anything (funeral, christmas, etc etc) it will take me about 4 hours less from DMU than it will for Scholl.

Professionalism is very important to me, and I think DMU did the best job out of this than any other school I have interacted with. From the communicating with the office, to the interview day packet (that pen DMU has in their interview folders is FANTASTIC and I am using it for all my lab work!). Temple's professionalism was amateur. The group was left alone on occasion, the tour guide took a phone call, the video of Temple University we watched looked like a middle school project, their website (le sigh), and many other things were lacking. I'm sure Temple prepares students excellently for residency, but I think professionalism speaks about the school enormously, and this was probably the main reason I can't attend Temple. Scholl was significantly better than Temple, but not quite at DMU's standard. This is going to sound incredibly dumb, but lunch is a great example. At DMU, we were given a meal ticket to take what we wanted to eat. At Scholl, our meal ticket said "$8 Max." Like... what? Why are you telling me that my food can't cost more than $8. Do you think I'm going to line my pants with cheeseburgers to leave with? I just think that was sort of tacky - especially when the girl in front of me (also an interviewee)'s total came to like $13. That must have been incredibly embarrassing for her - and I don't mean that in a mean way. I don't think it was her fault. But when the cashier gave her a look, it must have been horrifying. No one wants that on their interview day. So again, I know that is a silly example, but it really stuck (my food cost $7.87 btw, in case you were wondering. haha).

DMU's online note-taking system seems much more evolved than Scholl. They kept talking about Google Groups at Scholl. I hate google groups. It's so unorganized and hard to work with. I forgot the name of DMU's, but as it was described, everyone posts notes, study guides, lectures, etc etc from the past like 5 years. Also, I'm fairly confident I remember Scholl saying this wasn't as widely available 2nd year.

DMU's integrated technology is a nice plus as well. Everyone has the same laptop and from reading Airbud's previous posts, it's incredibly easy to get fixed if there is a problem. Their electronic medical record (I actually think they use EMR...) is pretty crappy, but I imagine :)xf:) they'll have this fixed by the time I start clerkships my 3rd year.

Another thing, the DMU students on SDN always have extremely positive things to say about their school, and are genuinely nice people. I heard multiple times from the DMU community (interview, school visit, summer program, etc) that they are like a family at DMU. I think this stems a little bit from the DO program they have, and their holistic approach to medicine, but more importantly, I think it is just the nature of their program. Coming from a small undergraduate, this is something that I value, so thanks Airbud, Dtrack, Bobdolerson, gibbman, and all the other posters from DMU that I know I'm forgetting. You are always extremely positive, which is very reassuring!

Lastly, but certainly not least, the pod I shadow (and coincidentally msion, lol) is a Scholl Alumnus. He has told me point blank: "If you get into DMU, you NEED to go there." Obviously I respect his opinion, but I wanted to make sure sure for myself, and I think I have.

Sorry for the super long post, but I wanted to sort through my thoughts, and perhaps some of my thought process will help some others along the way.

Looks like my September paycheck from being an RA just got spent (and an extra $13... lol).... See all you Class of 2017 DMUers next fall!

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Okay I might just submit to DMU right now too... I liked Scholl a lot, but even though people make fun of Des Moines, it's a lot "nicer" and busier than North Chicago... I know some 3rd years will live in Chicago at SCPM, but that's only one year, whereas 3 years in a small, clean city will probably be better than 2 years in the rural area and 1 year in the big city (plus, commuting 3rd year from Chicago would be a biznitch).

Another thing I really liked about Scholl that DMU didn't offer is the 24 hour libraries. So, if I need to use quiet study space at like 1 am, I can. Des Moines' library closes at 12 am, and I have found that I get my best studying done between 1 am and 5 am....

Also, I liked Scholl's clinical/clerkship schedule better than DMU's. Start in the clinic as a 2nd year instead of beginning of 3rd... I'm not exactly sure how you know what you're doing at this point, but if it wasn't effective, I doubt they would do it at this point.

Scholl also did a fantastic job selling me on residency placements/programs. Although they have a worse match rate than DMU, they told us that programs consistently BEG for Scholl students at their clerkships. I'm sure any program could have told me that, but the fact that Scholl did say something like that was impressive.

All that being said, I think I'd prefer to live in Des Moines. Plus, the academics at DMU seem to be better. 100% residency placement, ~100% boardpass rate. This past year 6 people from Scholl passed step 2 and didn't place (4 others didn't pass, and obviously didn't place). I don't anticipate letting myself get into this situation, but it's reassuring nonetheless to see that DMU typically doesn't let ANYONE not place. (Even with class size differences, this would mean DMU has 2 people fail part 2, and 3 more not match). In 2012, DMU had a 100% part II pass rate.

DMU has much smaller class sizes, which gives them more attention from the professors and when clerkship/residency directors come to campus, I'll have a bigger opportunity to be able to make an impression on them when there are half as many students talking to them.

I'm probably reading into the rates a bit too much - especially when we're talking about sample sizes between 50-100, but the results seem consistent in the past 5 years.

Smaller class sizes holds true with student orgs too. If I ever want to run for APMSA rep, or any officer positions, I have twice the chance at DMU than I would at Scholl.

The wellness center at DMU makes Scholl's look sophomoric. For such a large health science university, I would expect Scholl to focus more on wellness, but their workout facilities were very poor. On the tour, they even suggested that LA Fitness was close by if you wanted something better.

In addition, for me, DMU is about 4 hours closer to home. If I want to drive home for anything (funeral, christmas, etc etc) it will take me about 4 hours less from DMU than it will for Scholl.

Professionalism is very important to me, and I think DMU did the best job out of this than any other school I have interacted with. From the communicating with the office, to the interview day packet (that pen DMU has in their interview folders is FANTASTIC and I am using it for all my lab work!). Temple's professionalism was amateur. The group was left alone on occasion, the tour guide took a phone call, the video of Temple University we watched looked like a middle school project, their website (le sigh), and many other things were lacking. I'm sure Temple prepares students excellently for residency, but I think professionalism speaks about the school enormously, and this was probably the main reason I can't attend Temple. Scholl was significantly better than Temple, but not quite at DMU's standard. This is going to sound incredibly dumb, but lunch is a great example. At DMU, we were given a meal ticket to take what we wanted to eat. At Scholl, our meal ticket said "$8 Max." Like... what? Why are you telling me that my food can't cost more than $8. Do you think I'm going to line my pants with cheeseburgers to leave with? I just think that was sort of tacky - especially when the girl in front of me (also an interviewee)'s total came to like $13. That must have been incredibly embarrassing for her - and I don't mean that in a mean way. I don't think it was her fault. But when the cashier gave her a look, it must have been horrifying. No one wants that on their interview day. So again, I know that is a silly example, but it really stuck (my food cost $7.87 btw, in case you were wondering. haha).

DMU's online note-taking system seems much more evolved than Scholl. They kept talking about Google Groups at Scholl. I hate google groups. It's so unorganized and hard to work with. I forgot the name of DMU's, but as it was described, everyone posts notes, study guides, lectures, etc etc from the past like 5 years. Also, I'm fairly confident I remember Scholl saying this wasn't as widely available 2nd year.

DMU's integrated technology is a nice plus as well. Everyone has the same laptop and from reading Airbud's previous posts, it's incredibly easy to get fixed if there is a problem. Their electronic medical record (I actually think they use EMR...) is pretty crappy, but I imagine :)xf:) they'll have this fixed by the time I start clerkships my 3rd year.

Another thing, the DMU students on SDN always have extremely positive things to say about their school, and are genuinely nice people. I heard multiple times from the DMU community (interview, school visit, summer program, etc) that they are like a family at DMU. I think this stems a little bit from the DO program they have, and their holistic approach to medicine, but more importantly, I think it is just the nature of their program. Coming from a small undergraduate, this is something that I value, so thanks Airbud, Dtrack, Bobdolerson, gibbman, and all the other posters from DMU that I know I'm forgetting. You are always extremely positive, which is very reassuring!

Lastly, but certainly not least, the pod I shadow (and coincidentally msion, lol) is a Scholl Alumnus. He has told me point blank: "If you get into DMU, you NEED to go there." Obviously I respect his opinion, but I wanted to make sure sure for myself, and I think I have.

Sorry for the super long post, but I wanted to sort through my thoughts, and perhaps some of my thought process will help some others along the way.

Looks like my September paycheck from being an RA just got spent (and an extra $13... lol).... See all you Class of 2017 DMUers next fall!

No scholl???? :( :( :(

MaxillofacialMN, you forgot to mention how awesome the lunch at Temple is :laugh:lol!!!! [the three hundred dollar a night hotel isn't bad though]

MaxillofacialMN, you forgot to mention how awesome the lunch at Temple is :laugh:lol!!!! [the three hundred dollar a night hotel isn't bad though]

Lol true. The lunch was sorta awkward during my time there too. We were all super hungry and no one told us we could eat until like half hour after they put sandwiches one some random table.

The hotel (and cookies!!) was really nice, but I almost would have preferred the money they spent on that to go to better admission materials instead of poorly copied pages and a shaky old video.

And sorry Heyitssandie! I just couldn't do it!

Last edited:
Lol true. The lunch was sorta awkward during my time there too. We were all super hungry and no one told us we could eat until like half hour after they put sandwiches one some random table.

The hotel (and cookies!!) was really nice, but I almost would have preferred the money they spent on that to go to better admission materials instead of poorly copied pages and a shaky old video.

And sorry Heyitssandie! I just couldn't do it!

And one more thing, food is essentially FREE in Des Moines. You can go hunt for deers, fishing, have your own garden etc. :D

But anyway, congrats on your decision! I know it must be hard, because I had to turn down both Western and AZPOD, but I think I will enjoy DMU a lot better just because of the leadership I see in this school. I love their interview day packet!

Plus I bet our pod will be pumped if he knows both of us are going to DMU.

And one more thing, food is essentially FREE in Des Moines. You can go hunt for deers, fishing, have your own garden etc. :D

But anyway, congrats on your decision! I know it must be hard, because I had to turn down both Western and AZPOD, but I think I will enjoy DMU a lot better just because of the leadership I see in this school. I love their interview day packet!

Haha true. I was thinking about going in on Tuesday. Have you shadowed much this semester?

Haha true. I was thinking about going in on Tuesday. Have you shadowed much this semester?

Not at all, the practice is getting busier I think since most people tend to leave their surgeries for fall/winter time. I am thinking about visiting him some time soon.

I got interview at NYCPM monday :). Then Barry, Samuel Merritt, Ohio, DMU, Temple :p

Has ANYONE heard back yet from Barry? :( I interviewed about a week ago, and still haven't heard anything....

Do you mind if you have some time writing a brief review of what you think about western and why you choose DMU over it?

I am having this dilemma about going to a well established school and western. I plan on choosing western just because it is close to home and it will save me tons of money because I will be living with my parents.

very informative thanks!

Hi everyone,

I submitted on 10/15. Received an e-mail on 10/17 stating that I made some course prefix errors, fixed it. Received an e-mail on 10/17 from NYCPM stating that they received my application and are waiting for my committee letter (did not mention Pod letter, which I don't have yet)10/19 received e-mail from WesternU stating I don't fulfill the physics prereq due to receiving a C-, so I will need to shoot them an e-mail stating when and where and what I will be taking. Just interfolio'd my LORs to 6 schools.

I couldn't find Scholl, Western, or Arizona on the autopopulated search for Interfolio. Any help?

I'm shaking in my boots waiting for an Interview Invite. With very mediocre scores, and not applying on August 1, I'm shakin'. Baby....I'm shakin'.

What kinds of questions did they ask at the Temple interview?

What kinds of questions did they ask at the Temple interview?

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/tuspm/survey/26

That URL is pretty accurate for school questions. Temple is EXTREMELY laid back and didn't ask any "tough" critical thinking questions. If you did research the interviewer might say, "tell me about your research." Or, a more difficult question might be "I see you played hockey, how were you able to manage that and school." Etc.. you'll be fine!

Hi everyone,

I submitted on 10/15. Received an e-mail on 10/17 stating that I made some course prefix errors, fixed it. Received an e-mail on 10/17 from NYCPM stating that they received my application and are waiting for my committee letter (did not mention Pod letter, which I don't have yet)10/19 received e-mail from WesternU stating I don't fulfill the physics prereq due to receiving a C-, so I will need to shoot them an e-mail stating when and where and what I will be taking. Just interfolio'd my LORs to 6 schools.

I couldn't find Scholl, Western, or Arizona on the autopopulated search for Interfolio. Any help?

I'm shaking in my boots waiting for an Interview Invite. With very mediocre scores, and not applying on August 1, I'm shakin'. Baby....I'm shakin'.

I don't know how interfolio works, but good luck!

Don't worry, anyone who applied August first really didn't apply until ~ Sept 5th. And even so, you are NOT behind at all! Keep your chin up and good luck!

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/tuspm/survey/26

That URL is pretty accurate for school questions. Temple is EXTREMELY laid back and didn't ask any "tough" critical thinking questions. If you did research the interviewer might say, "tell me about your research." Or, a more difficult question might be "I see you played hockey, how were you able to manage that and school." Etc.. you'll be fine!

So no questions like "Why podiatry over allopathic medicine"?

MaxillofacialMN your post in that thread was awesome. I laugh inside when pre-MD kids in my classes bash podiatry. Don't even feel the need to defend it, just laugh to myself.

MaxillofacialMN your post in that thread was awesome. I laugh inside when pre-MD kids in my classes bash podiatry. Don't even feel the need to defend it, just laugh to myself.

Yeah, it's turned into a huge pissing match that I probably shouldn't have responded to in the beginning. Ahhhh oh well, now it's just getting ridiculous. Lol, but thanks.

But same, I'm pumped about podiatry, and whenever my pre-allo friends/med school friends trash talk i just chuckle. :D

Every professions has its own importance. Don't worry, the podiatry field is gaining recognitions (just compared 7 years ago and today). By the time we graduate from school (assuming I get accepted for class 2017 =X, I would say we would probably have more opportunities and will definitely be more respected for what we do. :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup: I loved it! They're just mad that they weren't smart enough to think of podiatry as an option.

Also, I couldn't help but to reply hehehe.

Last edited:
Question, do I need to forward anything to Temple before the interview? I just saw on the invitation that I need to "forward all supplemental materials referred to in the "school information" section of the AACPMAS application to the office". Did I really need to do that? They didn't remind me or anything so I assumed I was good. They didn't even call me to confirm that I have an interview coming up so I'm not sure.

Question, do I need to forward anything to Temple before the interview? I just saw on the invitation that I need to "forward all supplemental materials referred to in the "school information" section of the AACPMAS application to the office". Did I really need to do that? They didn't remind me or anything so I assumed I was good. They didn't even call me to confirm that I have an interview coming up

You will not get a confirmation for your interview (at least I did not, had to ask for one for my professors). I did not have to send in anything additional. Best of luck to you!

Anyone have updates? I know a lot of us post on the facebook group now, but any new interview invites, questions, etc etc?