Class of 2017 cycle opening!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's one:

Untitled.jpg

:wtf:

Members don't see this ad.

AZPOD has a small class size, do you think it's worth applying to that school late Feb?
Will there be room left? Thoughts?

AZPOD has a small class size, do you think it's worth applying to that school late Feb?

It's only an extra like $30 bucks, right? You could probably call admissions as February gets closer.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think the class is about 1/3 to 1/2 full if not a little more at this point.

What is the hold up that you have to wait until feb, the MCAT. Anyway I would call an admissions rep, see what they have to say. If money is not tight just apply, peace of mind for $30 is not a bad price.

Yes, not taking the MCAT til the 24th of January.
I'll give the AZPOD admissions com a call around Feb.
Thanks for the feedback.

Happy New Years everyone!

Many of us will be starting Podiatry school this year... what an exciting (and somewhat scary) time in our lives. :)

Best of luck to everyone who is still applying and I hope you all have a wonderful year.

Hey guys,

I'm new to this thread, so forgive me if I step on any toes by asking a question that's already been addressed.

Here's my situation:

I finished undergrad in 2004. I did HORRIBLE (2.5), and that's including the fact that my school used grade replacement, which is a luxury that won't be afforded me during the application cycle, since all repeated courses are averaged together.

Fast forward 4 years--I got into a Post Baccalaureate program that was run by the medical school and I finished with a 3.1. I took gross anatomy, histology, pharmacology, physiology, embryology and biochem with the first year medical students....and of course about another 25 hours. And I received my M.S. for completing the program :)

Additionally, I completed my MPH with a 3.4 the following year.

Lastly, fast forward to 2010....I realize that I needed to retake all of my basic sciences, both to strengthen my foundation but to also demonstrate to admission committees that I could do the work but I was just young and lazy. So I quit my job and enrolled as a full time undergraduate. I'm sure some of you think I'm crazy at this point, but I quit working, pulled out the catalog for students who were biology majors and started taking a full load for the next 2.5 years. In total, I retook 82 hours of coursework, including:

Physics 1 and 2 [B's in both]
Organic Chem 1
A & P 1 and 2 [A's in both]
Genetics [A]
Microbiology [A]
General Chem 1 and 2 [A and B+]
Biology 1 and 2 [A's in both]
Calculus [C]
Statistics [A]
Medical Terminology

...plus another 30 hours of history, English, art, sociology, government and any other course that the school listed in their degree plan for a student majoring in biology.

My GPA during my 2.5 year stint retaking courses is a 3.61 and my MCAT is 18R (which I'm retaking in 2 weeks)...hoping to get something in the range of 22-25. Yes, I know that's not great, but I'm being realistic based on my practice exams.

The long and short of it is that I can't "undo" the damage from undergrad no matter how many courses I retake....but I'm curious as to your opinions regarding my chances of being admitted and the likelihood my current achievements will carry more weight than my past transgressions.

FYI- I'm also an URM and a single father...not looking for sympathy or playing the race card. I've made my bed by making poor academic decisions early in life and now I'm paying the price. Just hoping to do something positive with my life so my son can be proud of me.

I'm currently shadowing a local podiatrist and I work part time...I won't bore you guys with all my EC's just know that I have more than average.

Hey guys,

I'm new to this thread, so forgive me if I step on any toes by asking a question that's already been addressed.

Here's my situation:

I finished undergrad in 2004. I did HORRIBLE (2.5), and that's including the fact that my school used grade replacement, which is a luxury that won't be afforded me during the application cycle, since all repeated courses are averaged together.

Fast forward 4 years--I got into a Post Baccalaureate program that was run by the medical school and I finished with a 3.1. I took gross anatomy, histology, pharmacology, physiology, embryology and biochem with the first year medical students....and of course about another 25 hours. And I received my M.S. for completing the program :)

Additionally, I completed my MPH with a 3.4 the following year.

Lastly, fast forward to 2010....I realize that I needed to retake all of my basic sciences, both to strengthen my foundation but to also demonstrate to admission committees that I could do the work but I was just young and lazy. So I quit my job and enrolled as a full time undergraduate. I'm sure some of you think I'm crazy at this point, but I quit working, pulled out the catalog for students who were biology majors and started taking a full load for the next 2.5 years. In total, I retook 82 hours of coursework, including:

Physics 1 and 2 [B's in both]
Organic Chem 1
A & P 1 and 2 [A's in both]
Genetics [A]
Microbiology [A]
General Chem 1 and 2 [A and B+]
Biology 1 and 2 [A's in both]
Calculus [C]
Statistics [A]
Medical Terminology

...plus another 30 hours of history, English, art, sociology, government and any other course that the school listed in their degree plan for a student majoring in biology.

My GPA during my 2.5 year stint retaking courses is a 3.61 and my MCAT is 18R (which I'm retaking in 2 weeks)...hoping to get something in the range of 22-25. Yes, I know that's not great, but I'm being realistic based on my practice exams.

The long and short of it is that I can't "undo" the damage from undergrad no matter how many courses I retake....but I'm curious as to your opinions regarding my chances of being admitted and the likelihood my current achievements will carry more weight than my past transgressions.

FYI- I'm also an URM and a single father...not looking for sympathy or playing the race card. I've made my bed by making poor academic decisions early in life and now I'm paying the price. Just hoping to do something positive with my life so my son can be proud of me.

I'm currently shadowing a local podiatrist and I work part time...I won't bore you guys with all my EC's just know that I have more than average.

Rx1981, are you asking for a What are my chances? Advice? Or just a thorough introduction? lol

If it's a WAMC, you'll be good to go. You have multiple degrees and have a kid. your post bac stuff will definitely help. Honestly, had you applied in August, you probably wouldn't even have needed to retake the MCAT.

Rx1981, are you asking for a What are my chances? Advice? Or just a thorough introduction? lol

If it's a WAMC, you'll be good to go. You have multiple degrees and have a kid. your post bac stuff will definitely help. Honestly, had you applied in August, you probably wouldn't even have needed to retake the MCAT.

Ha! I'm open to WAMC and general advice at this point. The biggest concern I have is my poor performance from 1999-2004 as an undergrad. I failed numerous classes which KILLS my GPA, even though I did much better when I went back to school and retook all those classes.

At this point, I know I'm applying (should be able to submit my application next week) but I'm not well versed on the podiatry admissions process enough to "gauge" my own chances.

The other point of contention is my MCAT score--I didn't want to submit an already marginal application with a below average MCAT.

I spoke to admissions coordinators at 2 schools (Temple and Des Moines) and both have instructed me to email them an explanation of why I did so poorly in undergrad...BUT come on, who really reads those things when there's 100's of apps to review.

Enough ranting....I need brutally honest advice at this point.

Thanks!

Ha! I'm open to WAMC and general advice at this point. The biggest concern I have is my poor performance from 1999-2004 as an undergrad. I failed numerous classes which KILLS my GPA, even though I did much better when I went back to school and retook all those classes.

At this point, I know I'm applying (should be able to submit my application next week) but I'm not well versed on the podiatry admissions process enough to "gauge" my own chances.

The other point of contention is my MCAT score--I didn't want to submit an already marginal application with a below average MCAT.

I spoke to admissions coordinators at 2 schools (Temple and Des Moines) and both have instructed me to email them an explanation of why I did so poorly in undergrad...BUT come on, who really reads those things when there's 100's of apps to review.

Enough ranting....I need brutally honest advice at this point.

Thanks!

It's their job to read them, so I'm sure that they will read the email you send them. They probably aren't as inundated as you think. Maybe 700 people apply to pod school each year over a span of 10 months. Assuming (huge assumption that isn't true) each applicant applies to each school, that's less than 100 applicants per month - or about 3 a day. You're good. :D

Once you submit all your paperwork for your GPA online through AACPMAS (based on all the classes you've taken over the past 10 years, this is going to take you FOREVER), your comprehensive cGPA probably won't even be all that low.

The one thing you might be wary about doing though (not sure how others feel about this?) is submitting before your next MCAT score comes through. Some schools MIGHT reject you before they see your new score. I'm not sure if they'll know to wait or not, but you might want to communicate with the schools you apply to about this.

Otherwise good luck on the MCAT, and you should be golden!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's their job to read them, so I'm sure that they will read the email you send them. They probably aren't as inundated as you think. Maybe 700 people apply to pod school each year over a span of 10 months. Assuming (huge assumption that isn't true) each applicant applies to each school, that's less than 100 applicants per month - or about 3 a day. You're good. :D

Once you submit all your paperwork for your GPA online through AACPMAS (based on all the classes you've taken over the past 10 years, this is going to take you FOREVER), your comprehensive cGPA probably won't even be all that low.

The one thing you might be wary about doing though (not sure how others feel about this?) is submitting before your next MCAT score comes through. Some schools MIGHT reject you before they see your new score. I'm not sure if they'll know to wait or not, but you might want to communicate with the schools you apply to about this.

Otherwise good luck on the MCAT, and you should be golden!

Thanks for the insight!! I'm going to call Monday and see what their (Pod schools) policy is regarding file review when the applicant is scheduled to retake the MCAT.

I don't want to apply too late, so I'm hoping they'll review my app and hold off on rendering a final decision until my MCAT scores come in.

Lastly--I've read a lot of information regarding average mcat scores for matriculants, but what have you heard regarding average scores as well as the range?

For accepted individuals this cycle, i've seen scores range from 17-34.

For accepted individuals this cycle, i've seen scores range from 17-34.

I may be jumping the gun, but is there any data out there that shows how students with lower MCAT scores (such as myself) fare on licensing exams?

I know that medical schools place a great deal of emphasis on the MCAT b/c there is a correlation between MCAT scores and passing licensing exams (USMLE and COMLEX).

Rx1981, I say go for it! If you did well in the masters program and are committed to making it in Podiatry, I'm sure the AdComs will be able to see it as well...

For people who have previously applied this cycle, I have a few questions for you.

1. If I just send all of my transcripts to the AACPMAS, will the "Colleges Attended" and "Coursework" section be automatically filled out? OR is that something that I have to do manually?

2. How long is 4,500 characters (approximately)?

3. How long do the transcripts take to process?

Thank you!!

For people who have previously applied this cycle, I have a few questions for you.

1. If I just send all of my transcripts to the AACPMAS, will the "Colleges Attended" and "Coursework" section be automatically filled out? OR is that something that I have to do manually?

2. How long is 4,500 characters (approximately)?

3. How long do the transcripts take to process?

Thank you!!

1. It's something that must be done manually. The amount of time it takes is directly related to how many courses you have taken.

2. About 2 pages double spaced

3. From the date of receipt, my transcripts were processed within a few days. The real "processing" takes place after you have submitted your application and AACPMAS has to verify your grades.

1. It's something that must be done manually. The amount of time it takes is directly related to how many courses you have taken.

2. About 2 pages double spaced

3. From the date of receipt, my transcripts were processed within a few days. The real "processing" takes place after you have submitted your application and AACPMAS has to verify your grades.

When filling out grades? How do you account for repeated classes? Do I put the highest grade or do I fill out the grade from the first time and the second time I took the course?

THANKS!

When filling out grades? How do you account for repeated classes? Do I put the highest grade or do I fill out the grade from the first time and the second time I took the course?

THANKS!

You need to put both classes in.

You put every class you ever took whether they were pass fail or you withdrew from them because it will show up on your transcripts

got it!
thanks everyone :)
sorry for being such a nuisance!

did anyone take the January MCAT?

this wait is SO SO LONGGGGGG!! gahhhhh

Someone got in with a 17 MCAT???

Are you surprised? One of the schools took somebody with a 15 last year. These people will be lucky to make it to the first board exam. If by some miracle they actually do pass both boards and graduate (barely), there's a good chance that they might have trouble finding a residency since they will probably be at the bottom of their class. Lets just say that they do complete a residency and now it's time to become board certified by passing an APMA recognized licensing exam - OOPS! can't pass because they suck at taking tests/reading comprehension/whatever and now they doom and gloom about pod because they're $200k in the crapper while clipping toenails at a local nursing home.

Just some food for thought...

Are you surprised? One of the schools took somebody with a 15 last year. These people will be lucky to make it to the first board exam. If by some miracle they actually do pass both boards and graduate (barely), there's a good chance that they might have trouble finding a residency since they will probably be at the bottom of their class. Lets just say that they do complete a residency and now it's time to become board certified by passing an APMA recognized licensing exam - OOPS! can't pass because they suck at taking tests/reading comprehension/whatever and now they doom and gloom about pod because they're $200k in the crapper while clipping toenails at a local nursing home.

Just some food for thought...

I see ur point. So then I ask, why r pod schools accepting these kids with such subpar MCAT scores? Are their gpa and personalities really that stellar to gain acceptance into pod school?

I see ur point. So then I ask, why r pod schools accepting these kids with such subpar MCAT scores? Are their gpa and personalities really that stellar to gain acceptance into pod school?

dollar-sign.gif

Strictly a numbers game. Each school has a minimum number of seats they need to fill in order to operate. Since pod schools don't get the same number of high MCAT applicants that MD/DO schools do, this leads to some schools filling their classes with applicants with subpar MCAT scores. If pod schools did receive the same number of apps MD/DO schools get, then they too would have higher avgs for matriculating students.

Strictly a numbers game. Each school has a minimum number of seats they need to fill in order to operate. Since pod schools don't get the same number of high MCAT applicants that MD/DO schools do, this leads to some schools filling their classes with applicants with subpar MCAT scores. If pod schools did receive the same number of apps MD/DO schools get, then they too would have higher avgs for matriculating students.

Maybe...but maybe not.

Love for the profession > than MCAT IMO.

DMU (with a class size of 53) took several 18/19 MCATS early on this cycle. It's highly plausible to predict that if DMU really wanted to they could fill all 53 of those seats with 22+ mcat applicants...but they choose not to. Applying early on and showing admissions just why you want to do podiatry will usually get you in, even with less than average stats.

DMU has about 10 spots open. I think it could go either way, but from my experience in healthcare - it's always a number game

Typically when do these schools fill up seats for their classes? Do u have a guess of a time range?

I don't know about that. I interviewed at DMU just recently, and they still don't have near their full class-load. I agree that it mostly has to do with the low number of competitive applicants.

DMU has about 10 spots open. I think it could go either way, but from my experience in healthcare - it's always a number game

:laugh:

:D

So, where is everyone going????

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Hello,

How can I get the data for the # of seats/spots open for each school?

I too will be attending Scholl, not sure where I am going to live yet though :/

The # entering 2nd year vs # of students entering 1rst year for each school averages?

What about versus NYCPM, which had 100% residency? I am from Illinois though so Scholl would probably be much easier to adjust to, and my whole life is here anyway. If I do well at Scholl, would I be fine in getting a residency?

I'm planning to attend NYCPM, but I'd be the first to say that some of the matched residencies are sub-par. I don't think anyone can say at this point any incoming student will be 'fine' securing a residency, but it definitely shouldn't impact your choice of school given every school had troubles (remember NYCPM scrambled students as well).