Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared to learn way more anatomy than you need to know.

I was curious about that, does CUSOM place a huge emphasis on OMM or is it one of those things where you could study a day/two before and be fine if you know the anatomy pretty well?

I was curious about that, does CUSOM place a huge emphasis on OMM or is it one of those things where you could study a day/two before and be fine if you know the anatomy pretty well?

4th year here, you could easily study for a day or two and be fine for OMM practicals. In fact, that is how most of the students do it because we have so many other things on our plates.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have insight on the interview here? Got an II for 1/31 and it's my first of a few others. Does anyone know anything regarding mobility on the waitlist? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have insight on the interview here? Got an II for 1/31 and it's my first of a few others. Does anyone know anything regarding mobility on the waitlist? Thanks in advance!

Look for my post around page 8 of this thread. I described my experience and listed several questions that I was asked during interviews.

First day of class in exactly 6 months!

:prof:

Reactions: 1 users
got a copy of the academic calendar? been looking for that in the website.
I think someone posted on the Facebook group that the first day of class is 7/31. I'm pretty certain they contacted the school to get that date.

This school has the chillest people ever. Fantastic interviews, great sense of community, and a warm environment conducive to learning. If you can get over the small town feel, and remember that Raleigh is a short commute North, then you're in for a treat here! I'm hoping to get accepted here after my interview today! Good luck to anyone still waiting, and I hope to have helped calm anyone's nerves that may have an II approaching. :)

Reactions: 4 users
This school has the chillest people ever. Fantastic interviews, great sense of community, and a warm environment conducive to learning. If you can get over the small town feel, and remember that Raleigh is a short commute North, then you're in for a treat here! I'm hoping to get accepted here after my interview today! Good luck to anyone still waiting, and I hope to have helped calm anyone's nerves that may have an II approaching. :)

And if Raleigh isn't enough, there's Durham (College town) woot woot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 1/23, rejection email today. The interview group was massive so maybe the waitlist spots were incredibly competitive at that point. I thought the interview went well, but you never know. Kinda bummed. I definetely liked the school

Interviewed 1/23, rejection email today. The interview group was massive so maybe the waitlist spots were incredibly competitive at that point. I thought the interview went well, but you never know. Kinda bummed. I definetely liked the school

Same

No idea. They said almost everyone on the waitlist gets in, though.

Yeah, they mentioned being selective in choosing whom to interview, however my group also had 18-20 interviewees. I believe the post-II selection process is heavily weighted on whether or not you're a good fit for their mission and if there is reasonable belief that you would actually pursue your education there. I know many others interviewing with me said they had acceptances elsewhere, which may actually hurt their chances if mentioned in an interview? I'm not 100% sure, but one guy I interviewed said he supports me going to CUSOM 100% so I'm hoping that carries some weight!

Yeah, they mentioned being selective in choosing whom to interview, however my group also had 18-20 interviewees. I believe the post-II selection process is heavily weighted on whether or not you're a good fit for their mission and if there is reasonable belief that you would actually pursue your education there. I know many others interviewing with me said they had acceptances elsewhere, which may actually hurt their chances if mentioned in an interview? I'm not 100% sure, but one guy I interviewed said he supports me going to CUSOM 100% so I'm hoping that carries some weight!

Yeah def. I think my rejection was due to my grades. I retook several pre-reqs, especially organic chem 1 times. The email recommended I sign up for their post bacc.

Yeah def. I think my rejection was due to my grades. I retook several pre-reqs, especially organic chem 1 times. The email recommended I sign up for their post bacc.

How many times?

No idea. They said almost everyone on the waitlist gets in, though.
Sorry to hit you with a question after you found out about your decision but did they mention anything about waitlist rankings?

Sorry to hit you with a question after you found out about your decision but did they mention anything about waitlist rankings?

It's cool. I'm here to help my future colleagues. The counselor stated that the apps aren't ranked, and they're given "first come, first serve". I would interview as soon as you can. However, they did say almost everyone on the list gets off at some point.

Well, I spoke to the students after my interview and many said that they were waitlisted in February or march and eventually got accepted. I hope that helps!

OK 6 months left.

Now all I have to do is get all my shots, physical, and BCLS done.

Anyone else get the Hep B shots? Those are the only shots I feel will take a long time because they have to be spaced out a couple of months.

Everything else I could knock out in a week.

CUSOM is a nice school. Really excited to see where their students match this year!!

How long did it take them to contact you guys about acceptance/waitlist? They said to expect to hear back today or next week sometime so I'm wondering if they lean heavily towards the latter days.

How long did it take them to contact you guys about acceptance/waitlist? They said to expect to hear back today or next week sometime so I'm wondering if they lean heavily towards the latter days.

Hey DrDawg,

I interviewed on 1/24 and received the waitlist e-mail yesterday morning

Did it say where are you ranked in the list?
I didn't see anything that specified hierarchy.. I could be wrong, but judging from last year's thread, it seems like we get notified of that with the periodic waitlist update e-mails

I didn't see anything that specified hierarchy.. I could be wrong, but judging from last year's thread, it seems like we get notified of that with the periodic waitlist update e-mails

From what I understand, it's kind of like a first-come first-serve type of deal.

I interviewed earlier on in the season, but had mentioned I had an acceptance to my interviewers. But I did it in a "but look i decided to interview here bc its my #1"-kinda way. Either way I hope you get that acceptance!

I interviewed earlier on in the season, but had mentioned I had an acceptance to my interviewers. But I did it in a "but look i decided to interview here bc its my #1"-kinda way. Either way I hope you get that acceptance!

Thank you! I'm anxious to hear back this week. I'm guessing they're still deliberating about some of the interviewees, which I pray is not my application!! It'd be awesome to be one of your classmates :)

Thank you! I'm anxious to hear back this week. I'm guessing they're still deliberating about some of the interviewees, which I pray is not my application!! It'd be awesome to be one of your classmates :)

When was your interview?

When was your interview?

1/31. I know it's not been too long since we've met for the interview, however I've found that my greatest neuroses come as a result of waiting for news that could go either way (good/bad).

1/31. I know it's not been too long since we've met for the interview, however I've found that my greatest neuroses come as a result of waiting for news that could go either way (good/bad).

Wed or Thurs, I'd bet! (That's how long it took for me IDK if its different now)

Wed or Thurs, I'd bet! (That's how long it took for me IDK if its different now)

It seems like that's about how long people are waiting nowadays too. It'll be great news to find out about a waitlist lol where's my self respect!?!

Does anyone have Campbell's match results for the AOA match today?

Reactions: 2 users
They haven't given us one yet. I think because there are still some people scrambling, so it's not finalized yet. Looks good so far with 3 Ortho, 6 EM, 1 RADS, 1 Derm, 5 Gen Surg, that I remember offhand but probably more of those since I only recall about half (30 or so out of 60ish) of the matches. The rest that I remember were a mix of FM, Peds, or IM. I will let you all know as soon as they give us the info.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
They haven't given us one yet. I think because there are still some people scrambling, so it's not finalized yet. Looks good so far with 3 Ortho, 6 EM, 1 RADS, 1 Derm, 5 Gen Surg, that I remember offhand but probably more of those since I only recall about half (30 or so out of 60ish) of the matches. The rest that I remember were a mix of FM, Peds, or IM. I will let you all know as soon as they give us the info.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Any locations? Was the Derm at Sampson?

Any locations? Was the Derm at Sampson?

Derm was at Case Western, terrific match. Check out CampbellUSOM twitter feed to see pictures of some of the class who are holding signs with program specialty and name/location

A somewhat related question - do you have to choose to participate in only one match, AOA or ACGME exclusively, or can someone who participated yesterday also attempt to match ACGME?

A somewhat related question - do you have to choose to participate in only one match, AOA or ACGME exclusively, or can someone who participated yesterday also attempt to match ACGME?

If you match AOA you have to pull yourself from the ACGME match. If you don't match in AOA you are free to continue and participate in the ACGME match or scramble in the AOA match.

Keep in mind more AOA programs transfer over to the NRMP match with ACGME accreditation every year, leaving fewer programs at play in the AOA match. I personally know a couple people in our class who only applied to one program in AOA and were content to move to the ACGME match if they didn't match their AOA number one. Personally, I thought this was a smart way to go in their situations.

Last edited:
Derm was at Case Western, terrific match. Check out CampbellUSOM twitter feed to see pictures of some of the class who are holding signs with program specialty and name/location

Wait a second, that doesn't make sense!!! Don't you need to do a transitional year then apply for Derm?! AOA offers no PGY-1 Derm spots. Also, can you show me the link for which hospital it is exactly. I can't find a Case Western that has AOA Derm spots.

Wait a second, that doesn't make sense!!! Don't you need to do a transitional year then apply for Derm?! AOA offers no PGY-1 Derm spots. Also, can you show me the link for which hospital it is exactly. I can't find a Case Western that has AOA Derm spots.

I think this is it:

Program Comments:
The Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center ACGME accredited dermatology program applied for Osteopathic Recognition and received Initial Accreditation effective July 1, 2016. This allows the 6 dermatology residents matriculating in our AOA-accredited dermatology residency to administratively transfer into our existing ACGME accredited residency program at UHCMC as a specialized osteopathic track, rather than a separate residency.

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/search/search_details.cfm?program_id=147581&hosp_id=138305

Correct on the Transitional Year. The match was to both that and to the linked derm residency. It is on the AOA opportunities site though if you check there