Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regardless of the feelings toward the above poster, I do encourage you all just to continue to ask questions and engage with students and faculty. 3rd/4th years aren't apocalyptic but clearly can continue to improve. Concerns and questions related to choosing a medical school are important and I would choose Campbell again for many reasons, not least of which is the fact that I prefer the honest and transparent engagement with us, even if there are kinks in the system

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Response from an M3:

1) we have modules that are mandatory for rotations, patient logs, and combank question requirements. For places like Fayetteville where you work 3 hours/day 5 days a week on IM, fine. At Lumberton we work at least 12 hours/day 6 days a week. It's a ******* requirement and I'm gonna sleep, study, and eat in my rare free time, not do their dumb extra requirements.

2) I don't care what you're working on right now. Don't accept the # of students you have if you can't support them. Don't accept new residents next year if you can't handle them plus the students you have. This is the case at Harnett, Fayetteville, and Lumberton. Lumberton next year will have about 80+ residents and 80+ students. Not feasible. This hospital can't handle that.

3) yeah most attendings bash this place. Campbell doesn't communicate with any of them, there are 0 learning standards. 99% of mine rate you N/A for osteopathic medicine on your evals because they've never heard of it in their entire lives. I don't care because osteopathic medicine is lame, but I'm just saying if Campbell communicated at all with these attendings, some education about who we are should've occurred.

4) Dr. Tolentino has nothing to do with our match lists. I'm reserving other comments cause I'm scared of who says what to whom.

5) very true. Dumb af.

6) the prep course was unbelievably not helpful to many students. If you learn from a structured prep course, great. If you don't get anything from lectures, tanking a month and a half of my board prep time with incredibly basic lectures was just insulting and incredibly detrimental. They also do not prepare you at all for USMLE. They're geared 100% for comlex. And I don't care what your views on AOA/osteopathic medicine are, there's zero reason for you to not be taking the USMLE at this point.

7) they treat us like children. They never have responded directly to our complaints. They've always said "were addressing it" through our class president. There's never any communication with our administration. If they ever choose to email us, it's always negative: you're all not dressing properly, you're being disrespectful, you're missing too much class, etc. etc.

Anyways. Those are my 7 cents from an MS3.....
I'm sorry, are you saying you're a 3rd year or this is all coming from someone who is one?

I don't think @DocMcSporty's post is a troll. I think the problem actually lies with many people here (and what I've noticed with CUSOM imparticular) to NOT want to confront criticism. Haven't you guys noticed how authoritarian the school is?

Mandatory dress code, mandatory attendance, very specific regional sites with one of the least amount of times to do audition rotations, etc etc.

This is the one school that it seems "taboo" to talk about any negatives about the school or complaints. That's an issue especially for a new school. And no, don't give me the bs that this school is perfect and there are no complaints. Every school has its issues, and I'd much rather be well informed than be ignorant.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed here today. It's a young school but I was really blown away with the facilities. The only school I can compare it to is KCU in this regard. They really spared no expense and I assume they support their students in a similar way. The location is not great but the school seems fabulous.

Anyone hear anything from the waitlist?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Nope, I'm still waiting too. But I figured that since the recent deposit deadline was last Thursday and the committee meets on Wednesdays, maybe there's gonna be some movement for some people in the next few days?

Nope, I'm still waiting too. But I figured that since the recent deposit deadline was last Thursday and the committee meets on Wednesdays, maybe there's gonna be some movement for some people in the next few days?

When did you interview??

Oh wait nvm I checked your post history lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody! Upperclassman from CUSOM here and really wanted to offset all the negativity going on recently about CUSOM. I don't really have much to say except the following: in response to the above SDN post, the dean of our school, who is easily the busiest man on earth, made a last minute meeting with third and fourth years regarding our overall feelings about how everything is going. He genuinely came to listen, and as a group we worked through some issues and came up with solutions. He was kind, open, and encouraging. In addition, he met with the president of the hospital to discuss improvements. All because he was genuinely hurt and concerned over one mean post on SDN.

No place is perfect. But it is a lie to say our faculty doesn't care. They absolutely do. I for one have very much enjoyed my experience at CUSOM, I would choose it again, and I strongly recommend you disregard posts that are so heavily saturated with something called "horrible attitude".

Please feel free to PM me if you have more questions you would like addressed.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey everybody! Upperclassman from CUSOM here and really wanted to offset all the negativity going on recently about CUSOM. I don't really have much to say except the following: in response to the above SDN post, the dean of our school, who is easily the busiest man on earth, made a last minute meeting with third and fourth years regarding our overall feelings about how everything is going. He genuinely came to listen, and as a group we worked through some issues and came up with solutions. He was kind, open, and encouraging. In addition, he met with the president of the hospital to discuss improvements. All because he was genuinely hurt and concerned over one mean post on SDN.

No place is perfect. But it is a lie to say our faculty doesn't care. They absolutely do. I for one have very much enjoyed my experience at CUSOM, I would choose it again, and I strongly recommend you disregard posts that are so heavily saturated with something called "horrible attitude".

Please feel free to PM me if you have more questions you would like addressed.

Dr. Kauffman did that? When did he have that meeting?

Reactions: 1 user
He came to Southeastern yesterday. Feel free to ask any 3/4 year there about specifics!

No I had my interview yesterday and he came in first thing in the morning to give our group a Dean's welcome. He seemed a little distracted so maybe he was thinking about this. I'm amazed that he would take the time and effort to take a comment from SDN into such consideration. That is commitment right there.

Please message me with any ?s. I am a fourth year that is happily soon to be in the 1st graduating class of CUSOM.

Withdrew my interview for mid-March (figured I would post about it so anyone looking to move up their date can snag it)! Good luck to you all :)

I was wondering if you had enough time to do your residency interviews and prep for the boards?

Hey thanks for the question. I am happy to reply as being on SDN today means my current life is gravy.

Yes, I personally had enough time for board prep. I believe for level 1 they gave my class approx. 6-8 dedicated weeks (its been a while so not 100%). But I started prepping well before in January using Qbanks daily. We were actually required to do a certain amount of questions which IMO is a good thing. Some need a fire lit under them. They also had us do multiple practice tests. If you did not score a certain # we had to take the Kaplan Prep course, no charge, during dedicated study time. I was in that cohort & am so happy I did. We had phenomenal instructors. I still have their names- Dr. Touro* & Brooks to name 2/3. If you want the most focused, high yield info. they are how you get it. If you failed level1 I believe you were required to take an additional separate prep course (boards bootcamp) that was at cost to you, unsure how much and what brand.
Level 2 was not as intense. I believe I took 4 weeks & had plenty of time to do questions & study. There is a clinical portion of level 2. CUSOM had us come to a class for one day, prep us on what we need to do to blow it out of the water & come back & perform an additional day. I missed some vital steps in my performance so I was required to come back and take it again with a few others. Overall & yet again I am glad I did because I was very prepared when I went to Conshohocken, PA (sp?) and ended up passing easily.
*Biochem for boards was taught by this man and actually hired because our biochem during our year 1 was thought to be lacking (from what I recall) I think this attests to CUSOMs dedication and implementation of feedback. This has since been taken care of with a new biochem phd.

As far as interviewing, I personally completed 12 interviews (which is the recommended amount) without a problem. I also did this utilizing 4 days off/rotation. This requirement is not "unheard of." As a first class with little/no senior advice we were concerned at first. I asked fellow interviewees their schools policy. Two that I spoke with also had 4 days off/rotation. Most others were vastly different. In the end, it was an agreement between my preceptor & I. My attendings are amazing & treat me like an adult because I believe I act like one (at least while in their presence). I have heard nothing from CUSOM in the way I handled my interviews even though I did not directly go through CUSOM admin. for time off. I have to say I know someone who did & had one problem & could not attend an interview. I do not know the specifics. I also must say that I only did interviews on the east coast, October-February. So I had a long season as I spaced mine out. This policy may change in the future. We are the first class & data is still coming in.

I have scanned through the previous posts. I am not surprised. Negative experiences will happen on this scale and as you grow a newer school and anonymous forums are a great place to air them. But it starts conversations. I am in a rotation region that had knowledge of what it takes to teach students as there are plenty UNC and DUKE comrades already in place here. So I cannot comment on any other regions & I have no knowledge of such negativity happening where I am at. But I will say, as a new school they have worked extremely hard to get us the rotations we want. Sometimes it is just not possible with other established schools in the region, private groups etc..this is not uncommon. I drove to other regions with no hesitation for anesthesia and soon to be radiology & love the rural experience. I do much more hands-on and commuting was no problem for me.

This is one person's experience who has little run ins or chats with admin. Wish I had more of an opinion to give on that end. Also, things may have changed by now for upcoming classes. I am in my last few months and have not been back to CUSOM for much of anything besides the occasional "Call-Back Friday" once/month during core rotations 3 & 4th years where we either take a required end of core rotation test (COMAT) and/or couple hours of OMM (usually is more catching-up with old classmates)...which I have been done with since August 2016. I love CUSOM. Honestly, it was the only med school that offered me a position so I am biased. But, every time I go back there it is a warm hug & all that southern charm. I am going to miss this place. Despite this, I feel a huge responsibility as I was once in your shoes. CUSOM is solid. They will ensure you get exactly what you need to be great medical students & future physicians. As they are building their brand it it is their best interest.

Hope this helps. Congrats to those who got in. Don't give up to those who are waiting for another season. You work hard & apply enough times, you'll get in. I am proof.

Reactions: 5 users
Please message me with any ?s. I am a fourth year that is happily soon to be in the 1st graduating class of CUSOM.
What study methods worked for you with the mandatory attendance policy? I am a little concerned how I will study at CUSOM as everyone says study techniques change from undergrad. Some people say they study during lecture while others pay attention to the lecture. What worked for you?

What study methods worked for you with the mandatory attendance policy? I am a little concerned how I will study at CUSOM as everyone says study techniques change from undergrad. Some people say they study during lecture while others pay attention to the lecture. What worked for you?

Hi,

It depends on the lecturer, topic & you as a learner. It develops after you start med school because undergrad is so different, IMO.

I am an average student, no matter how hard I try usually no better than slightly above average. Just so you get a better idea of what type of student I am. Definitely not the top of the class with that freakish photographic memory which we all secretly wish we possessed.

I started out day #1 furiously typing notes & realized that was a waste because I never had time to go over them entirely, missed info. & realized all I needed was in powerpoint, reading materials or recorded audio. I started paying attention, typing/writing fewer notes, highlighting what was emphasized. if I had time, I'd go over days material @ night & create some e-flash cards in Anki (free online) or I just went over materials before quizzes on Friday if time was limited. That worked for me usually during regular months.

During board prep months many students discreetly put in headphones and did Qbank/board prep stuff. Maybe I should have done this in retrospect. But I worked hard during dedicated board study time & did well on level 1/step 1. I could not ignore professors lecturing in front of me for various reasons. I ended up with a combo of good class standing, GPA and board score this way. I wouldn't change what I did.

But this is me. It took me some time to develop for that setting. Definitely have less time to grasp material than undergrad. After sitting next to the same great folks for 2 years you realize there is no one-size-fits all study technique. So take a little from everyone & develop your own. If you are a student who struggles with standardized tests, you may want to prioritize & put board prep/harder material first during class time. We had easier topics during board prep months so that was nice. Also, who is the lecturer? Do they test off their slides? reading material? Do they drop hints during lecture? Are their slides too robust to guess? Decide over time. You have time first year & get a feel for the professors. You may end up listening to recordings & read slides day before quiz/test & use class time otherwise. My neurosis would not allow me to not pay attention.

Don't worry about that now. You will figure it out. If you are in your first year & really struggling, get help ASAP from professors. Going to other students may be easier but is less efficient. Time is not on your side in med school!

Reactions: 3 users
Also I just noticed I am a "7+ year member." Wow. Thats scary.

Did you go to USF St. Pete? I graduated USF tampa

Yes, I actually did my undergrad in finance @ the beautiful St Pete campus. I went back for my premed sciences mostly @ Tampa campus. Love the area. NC has great weather, though. You get a little taste for all the seasons.

Anyone know when the upcoming deposit deadlines are/when there will be some waitlist movement?

Anyone know when the upcoming deposit deadlines are/when there will be some waitlist movement?
Not sure when there will be some waitlist movement, but April 1st is deadline for all submitted documentation (secondary, and LORs), I called today. Not sure if you mean deposit for your seat for the fall since you are accepted or supplemental deadlines. Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't.

Anyone else from 2/21 interview? I think we were supposed to hear back on this Friday 3/03. I'm feeling very nervous now, I'm recalling every little detail I could have done wrong at the interview.

Anyone else from 2/21 interview? I think we were supposed to hear back on this Friday 3/03. I'm feeling very nervous now, I'm recalling every little detail I could have done wrong at the interview.

I interviewed 2/20 but I'm in the same boat as you. I keep thinking about all the negative things in my interview. Gotta keep busy.

I just got an email saying that they are really interested in my application and are extending the deadline for the secondary till April 1st. Is this just a generic email since I didn't submit my secondary the first time around?

I just got an email saying that they are really interested in my application and are extending the deadline for the secondary till April 1st. Is this just a generic email since I didn't submit my secondary the first time around?
I got the same email too. Not sure if it's worth it to submit at this point, though. Anyone have some advice?

I got the same email too. Not sure if it's worth it to submit at this point, though. Anyone have some advice?
I would say that it's really up to you. As far as I know, all interviews from here on is for the waitlist. When I interviewed, one of the faculties said that the waitlist is very active and that last year someone was accepted from the waitlist the day before class started.

I would say that it's really up to you. As far as I know, all interviews from here on is for the waitlist. When I interviewed, one of the faculties said that the waitlist is very active and that last year someone was accepted from the waitlist the day before class started.
Thanks for your input!

Also got the secondary extension email. I wonder if it's just a cash grab.....

02/21 interview for waitlist spot: Rejected. Feels bad man. I really thought this school was the one for me and I was meant for it. ACOM II on 3/24: My last chance to even get in this cycle :(

02/21 interview for waitlist spot: Rejected. Feels bad man. I really thought this school was the one for me and I was meant for it. ACOM II on 3/24: My last chance to even get in this cycle :(
I was rejected too. Bummer. Think I might look into some post back programs.

When did you guys get the email?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I can't wait to start school!

I've been doing nothing but watching Netflix and trying to get in shape.

I know I should probably cherish this time off, but the anticipation of starting school is killing me.

I was rejected too. Bummer. Think I might look into some post back programs.

Keep your heads up! It took me more than one cycle!

I can't wait to start school!

I've been doing nothing but watching Netflix and trying to get in shape.

I know I should probably cherish this time off, but the anticipation of starting school is killing me.

Me too. And wedding planning.....which is not conducive to the getting in shape part...but super pumped.