Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do current CUSOM students feel their laptops given to them are adequate or did they end up buying/using their own?

Just wondering if I should be checking out laptops. I know the laptop CUSOM gives is some sort of Dell touch screen laptop.

Members don't see this ad.

Do current CUSOM students feel their laptops given to them are adequate or did they end up buying/using their own?

Just wondering if I should be checking out laptops. I know the laptop CUSOM gives is some sort of Dell touch screen laptop.
I asked a current student what laptop they get and he told me they got something similar to this: http://www.staples.com/product_2075091

Members don't see this ad :)

I asked a student during my interview day and he said that he definitely finds it sufficient and uses it exclusively :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email saying I'm on the waitlist. When do we find out what "tier" we are?

So I will be visiting Raleigh this week to get a better look at the area surrounding the school because I didn't get to see much during interview day. Is there anything you all recommend looking at? I am thinking that I am going to live in Fuquay.

So I will be visiting Raleigh this week to get a better look at the area surrounding the school because I didn't get to see much during interview day. Is there anything you all recommend looking at? I am thinking that I am going to live in Fuquay.
Absolutely live in Fuquay, I did it and do not regret it one bit. Really cool little town. Check out Aviator brewing (great food, beer, and outdoor patio) or really any one of the 4 breweries while you are there. It's called Brewquay for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Absolutely live in Fuquay, I did it and do not regret it one bit. Really cool little town. Check out Aviator brewing (great food, beer, and outdoor patio) or really any one of the 4 breweries while you are there. It's called Brewquay for a reason.

This just makes me really hope I get off the waitlist for Campbell!!!

Speaking of, has anyone gotten any notification of movement off the WL or gotten accepted from there?? I've been a nervous wreck the past month waiting for good news about that!!!

Speaking of, has anyone gotten any notification of movement off the WL or gotten accepted from there?? I've been a nervous wreck the past month waiting for good news about that!!!

It looks like the first person that said they got off of the waitlist last year said so on April 13... so I guess it's a bit more waiting :|

Accepted off the waitlist today. (juice31, Apr 14, 2016)

also seems like they began receiving their rank on the waitlist in April of last year?

NOPE. i've basically accepted the offer elsewhere but still lurking around to see WHEN that movement was going to happen. Tbh i was expecting i would've found out by now haha

It looks like the first person that said they got off of the waitlist last year said so on April 13... so I guess it's a bit more waiting :|

also seems like they began receiving their rank on the waitlist in April of last year?

I didn't know they did a ranking system for the WL. In the email to us they said that there's no rank or anything like that, so I thought.

Current first year student who lives in Fuquay. Raleigh is awesome, but if you have time this week be sure to check out Durham, too! I've personally had more fun there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Current first year student who lives in Fuquay. Raleigh is awesome, but if you have time this week be sure to check out Durham, too! I've personally had more fun there!
Would highly advise against living in Durham/Chapel Hill area. Not only is it a 1+ hour drive but living expenses are way higher due to Duke and CH. Way more bars though if you're into that

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how the tier system works for the WL at CUSOM? Obviously "high tier" implies "high priority," however I'm not sure if that pretty much relinquishes all hope for those that may be in middle or low tier.

I didn't know they did a ranking system for the WL. In the email to us they said that there's no rank or anything like that, so I thought.

Yeah.. not 100% sure.. but judging from last year's forum.. (if it is true, it adds another layer of nerves, haha)
Curious about your last question, too...

For those wondering about the waitlist position at CUSOM, I found this thread from the last cycle.

"Received the waitlist email as well and I'm extremely excited. I recall during the admissions presentations Joy saying that we are ranked in the tiers as soon as we are put on the list. Just that we don't find out where we are on that list until April. They also meet weekly so I'm assuming with each consecutive interview group the waitlist gets shaken up a bit."

Source: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...m-discussion-thread-2015-2016.1134392/page-33

To any M4 students from CUSOM who are watching this thread, congrats on matching somewhere today!!

I was wondering whether a current student could comment on how a rotation site is determined for a student for 3rd and 4th year. How likely is it to get your first or second choice for a rotation site?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how the tier system works for the WL at CUSOM? Obviously "high tier" implies "high priority," however I'm not sure if that pretty much relinquishes all hope for those that may be in middle or low tier.

At the end of the day, really depends on how they take people off waitlist. Not sure if they trade a mid-tier acceptance with a mid-tier WLer or high-tier.

At the end of the day, really depends on how they take people off waitlist. Not sure if they trade a mid-tier acceptance with a mid-tier WLer or high-tier.
I'm thinking they must rank everyone on the WL individually. And as an acceptee turns down their offer, the highest ranked WLer is slated to take the spot.. Just makes the most sense to me now that I think about it

And they can look at the number of WLers and say that subsections of the list are the high/med/low priorities? I'm also just thinking that if you're med/low priority, they wouldn't explicitly tell you that.. Again, speculation on my part.. but all the best to all of you :)

EDIT: Forgot to say that it makes sense in order to give the later interview-goers a fair chance. Anyway, I feel like everything I said is super obvious now, haha..

Last edited:
Did you get an answer to this?

For those who didn't see the post: it was essentially talking about how CUSOM had an "evangelical, anti-LGBT lecture" or something in one of the classes.

Edit: Here's the full question from @1234do1234

I just talked with a current student and they said they had a lecture today that was very anti-LGBT and evangelical. I did get a little weird feeling from the dean when I visited but it didn't seem like anything at the time. Now I'm not sure. Can another current student provide some input or elaborate on this?

Did you get an answer to this?

For those who didn't see the post: it was essentially talking about how CUSOM had an "evangelical, anti-LGBT lecture" or something in one of the classes.

Edit: Here's the full question from @1234do1234

I just talked with a current student and they said they had a lecture today that was very anti-LGBT and evangelical. I did get a little weird feeling from the dean when I visited but it didn't seem like anything at the time. Now I'm not sure. Can another current student provide some input or elaborate on this?
I did not get an answer. I did get a message saying that I should remove the post immediately though. I'm definitely concerned if this is true.

I did not get an answer. I did get a message saying that I should remove the post immediately though. I'm definitely concerned if this is true.

Hold up...what...

Like a threat from someone from CUSOM, or just a fellow SDNer?

Another SDN person. Another student said that the school as a whole is very friendly, but a guest lecturer crossed a line.

Oh, a guest lecturer I can understand. Usually guests don't represent the school, but I think CUSOM should have taken a minute to actually vet the lecture the guest was going to give.

CUSOM in my view has been nothing but accepting of all of their students.

But I've heard of guest lecturers from other schools on SDN talking about why vaccines are bad and how evolution is incompatible with medicine.

Can't always keep the crazies out.

Oh, a guest lecturer I can understand. Usually guests don't represent the school, but I think CUSOM should have taken a minute to actually vet the lecture the guest was going to give.

CUSOM in my view has been nothing but accepting of all of their students.

But I've heard of guest lecturers from other schools on SDN talking about why vaccines are bad and how evolution is incompatible with medicine.

Can't always keep the crazies out.

Wait vaccines ARENT bad?! ;)

Wait vaccines ARENT bad?! ;)

Of course not. But tbh I prefer using crystals to fix diseases.

After being cured of my polio with Non-GMO, 100% organic crystal-nuclear technology , I personally want to advocate the use of crystals over vaccines :joyful::joyful::joyful:

Of course not. But tbh I prefer using crystals to fix diseases.

After being cured of my polio with Non-GMO, 100% organic crystal-nuclear technology , I personally want to advocate the use of crystals over vaccines :joyful::joyful::joyful:

BUT WERE THEY GLUTEN FREE

BUT WERE THEY GLUTEN FREE

Unfortunately the local biotech startup farm in Palo Alto where the crystals are produced can't verify if they are gluten free. However, they can verify the crystals are shipped in artisan grown coffee beans and artisan crafted boxes to all consumers—to negate any negative energy inside of your body.

Thanks to this tech, I've been polio-free for three months. Would recommend to everyone.

Unfortunately the local biotech startup farm in Palo Alto where the crystals are produced can't verify if they are gluten free. However, they can verify the crystals are shipped in artisan grown coffee beans and artisan crafted boxes to all consumers—to negate any negative energy inside of your body.

Thanks to this tech, I've been polio-free for three months. Would recommend to everyone.

iirc these coffee beans were first pooped out by a cheetah

Will CUSOM be making the match list available for viewing?

Will CUSOM be making the match list available for viewing?
Usually schools post them a couple of weeks after (have to ask student permission, compile the AOA/ACGME list, etc).

That being said, you can get a preview of where and what some of the students matched into on their Facebook page.

I was wondering whether a current student could comment on how a rotation site is determined for a student for 3rd and 4th year. How likely is it to get your first or second choice for a rotation site?

Basically: we ranked our choices, 1 to 6 (I think). They used a computer algorithm program to do the actual matching. You can apply for a "hardship" for a certain site for very specific reasons (children in school in an area, spouse under medical care that cannot be treated elsewhere, that kind of stuff). If you are granted a hardship you also give up all of your MS4 audition rotations, the idea being that you needed a hardship so you have to stay in that area. Once you're put in a site you have a week to switch with another student if you both want, not sure how many did that.

I think most people were happy with their slot, overall. Seems most of the people who put Raleigh 1st got their 2nd or 3rd, just cause it was so popular. Other sites were easier to get. A few people got their 4th choice, but I think that was as low as it went.

Although CUSOM hasn't released an official list yet, they have shared photos of where some of the students have matched.

The following are through skimming through Facebook and Twitter.

I skipped a PM&R match since I couldn't read what the sign said, and possibly skipped a bunch of matches since the photo quality is grainy.

Anyways, here's what I have gathered. Feel free to edit/add things:

ACGME:

Child Neurology
Duke University, NC
General Surgery
UIC Mt. Sinai
Skyridge, CO
IM
UConn
University of Florida
St. Vinny’s, Indy
EM-FM
Aria- Jefferson
General Surgery
Wayne State, MI
FM
Resurrection MC, IN
Cone Health, NC
New Hanover Regional (x3)
Carolinas Medical Concord, NC
In His Image, OK
Resurrection Memphis, TN
Psych
UAMS
OB/GYN

East Carolina University Vidant MC
Cape Fear, NC
PM&R
Michigan State University
Radiology
UF-Jacksonville
Transitional Year
Lehigh Valley, PA

AOA:

Derm
Case Western
EM
Lehigh Valley, PA
Mercy Health, MI
Inspira
IM
St. John Medical Center, OH
Geisinger Medical Center, PA
Botsford, MI
St. James Hospital
Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital
Stony Brook
Genesys Regional Medical Center, MI
Regional Medical Center at Bayonet Point
Radiology
Hemet Valley Medical Center
FM
Beaumont, MI
Hunterdon, NJ
Orthopedic Surgery
St. Anthony’s Hospital, OK
Southe Pointe Hospital, OH
McLaren Macomb, MI
General Surgery
Western Reserve
Cape Fear, NC
Botsford Hospital
UPMC Horizon

Military:

TRI
Tripler Army MC (x2)
San Antonio MMC
TRI-Derm
Walter Reed National MMC
TRI-EM
San Antonio MMC
FM
Eglin Air Force Base
Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, CA
IM
Keesler Air Force Base
Walter Reed National MC (x2)

I'm confused, I saw a match list posted on their website at the beginning of the week but the article disappeared like hours later. Could they still be updating it? If anyone has the article, lmk

I'm confused, I saw a match list posted on their website at the beginning of the week but the article disappeared like hours later. Could they still be updating it? If anyone has the article, lmk
I didn't see a list so I just skimmed their social media for matches.

But they could be updating the list or something. I also think there is a list being made by the Student Government Association.

Here's the official match list for those interested.

17554356_10155341559697867_8547986490101505441_n (1).jpg
17457722_10155341559702867_2327809774360238977_n.jpg
17626119_10155341559617867_6212258197333725133_n.jpg

Here's a list of can download. Found in the match 2017 thread on SDN.

Attachments

• 2017 Match Results (1).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 206