Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Questions from last year. Hopefully they do not change too much.

1. What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? How do these qualities meet the CUSOM mission?

2. Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

3. Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM?

4. Have you ever been enrolled in a medical school? Yes No If YES, where and when?

Good luck to all applying! I will be an MS1 this fall, and would love to answer any question I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit and verified? What were your stats like? Thank you!!

I submitted June 14 and was verified on June 23. Stats were 3.7/3.5/513.
Like most DO schools, Campbell interviews early so get that app in right after it opens up!

Good luck everyone! Also an MS1 this coming fall and would love to give any input that I can.

This may be dumb, but if they use the "have you ever applied?" question again, do they also expect you to list all schools you are applying to THIS cycle, or just ones you have in prior cycles?

Just submitted to this school. I have pretty average stats so hopefully my early app works in my favor.

How does Campbell University feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?

Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!

Good luck everyone! First time DO applicant, but this will be my 2nd cycle.

First time applicant. Hoping to get in because CUSOM is a great school. I'm impressed by everything they have been able to accomplish as a new school.

Applying here next year and leaning heavily toward their early decision program

Good luck to those who apply this year!

How does Campbell University feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?

Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!

I talked with a girl on staff I know very well from there last year and wanted to get their input on this since I had decided to take additional classes after I had graduated. While they prefer courses taken at a university, community college classes are still accepted. Many students there took classes at community colleges so I wouldn't consider it "frowned upon." Just make sure to get that A, especially for GC2

Regarding the online lab part, I dont see why they wouldn't be accepted. Many, if not most institutions have the GC/Phys lab grouped in with the course

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have secondary for this school already ?

Does anyone know if there are sub section cutoffs?

+1
Does anyone know if there are sub section cutoffs?
?
Does anyone know how CUSOM handles multiple MCAT scores? Do they take the highest of each section

average stats around a 3.5 / 27
that's a little higher than I was expecting.

Any insight on how Christianity ties into the student body and curriculum? Not to stereotype, as someone moving away from Catholicism myself, my views are very liberal, especially regarding abortion access and LGBTQ health and I'm unsure if it is the right environment for me.

Application received here as well-- i'm almost kinda glad they haven't sent out secondaries just yet-- gives us time to work on the other bunch of secondaries!!

Received my secondary, questions are the same.

Questions from last year. Hopefully they do not change too much.

1. What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? How do these qualities meet the CUSOM mission?

2. Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

3. Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM?

4. Have you ever been enrolled in a medical school? Yes No If YES, where and when?

Any insight on how Christianity ties into the student body and curriculum? Not to stereotype, as someone moving away from Catholicism myself, my views are very liberal, especially regarding abortion access and LGBTQ health and I'm unsure if it is the right environment for me.
while a number of the staff and students are christian it's not a part of the normal curriculum. Leviticus doesn't have an opinion on staph aureus being catalase positive or negative. ;). They do an occasional prayer at the "big" events that involve main campus and attempt to stay neutral on the hot button issues in classes that discuss them.

But you'll find the culture of the area to be conservative. Lots of liberal students do just fine but you won't be an overwhelming majority. View it as a cultural exposure experience :)

When did you get the primary received email?

A few hours before I got the secondary.

I'm guessing you're in the batch of early admissions track?

I didn't apply through that, so I don't think so?

while a number of the staff and students are christian it's not a part of the normal curriculum. Leviticus doesn't have an opinion on staph aureus being catalase positive or negative. ;). They do an occasional prayer at the "big" events that involve main campus and attempt to stay neutral on the hot button issues in classes that discuss them.

But you'll find the culture of the area to be conservative. Lots of liberal students do just fine but you won't be an overwhelming majority. View it as a cultural exposure experience :)

Alright, thanks for the info!

Secondary received this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Just notified via email I am pre-secondary hold :meh:

"Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks."

They aren't kidding around this year lol i figured my stats would least get me a secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
When did you get the app received email?

My last name is closer to the beginning so its possible that could be relevant.

Lol another last name related case I see. For some reason I still did not receive VCOM secondary...

I got CUCOM primary received email 2 days ago too

Just submitted my secondary. Hoping for good news!

Put on pre-secondary hold. Do they do an aggressive screen here? Seems like it.

Seriously what the heck isn't this a new school what am I not seeing

I was on the pre-secondary hold list as well. My stats are quite similar to yours and I thought they'd be enough to at least secure a secondary.

Although it is a new school, I've heard that they are affiliated with quite a few post doc training programs.

Does this school not accept AACOMAS LORs? The secondary only lists interfolio and virtualevals?

I was on the pre-secondary hold list as well. My stats are quite similar to yours and I thought they'd be enough to at least secure a secondary.

Although it is a new school, I've heard that they are affiliated with quite a few post doc training programs.
Pre-secondary hold for indept review as well

I'm confused, why are there holds if the minimum requirements are met?

According to their websit, if certain criteria are met then a secondary is expected