Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M.D. is still M.D. it's awesome that you're thinking on a spectrum but a lot of people don't. To them a D.O. may as well be a category of its own, the not quite an M.D. I wouldn't underestimate how narrow-minded some can be. Again, not agreeing with how they do things. But if it's done to secure some candidates that were very on top of their games early in the cycle, I can see why they would. Of course, it could just 100% be money-grab lol. But then I would like to remind you that most of the faculty are probably not privy to that and you shouldn't hold all of CUSOM against it.

No loll this has nothing to do with faculty. I loved their faculty! It's just this specific policy. Even if it was common practice amongst D.O. Programs I wouldn't complain. But when I see only 3/44 D.O. Programs doing this it really feels unfair.

And I'm sure many programs accept applicants early on that they'd like to keep, but does "trapping" them with an early security deposit seem like a good way to go about it?

You're arguing for students dropping it for M.D. schools, but how about for other D.O. programs too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyways sorry to get off topic. Back to that last topic: attend your interviews even if they are for waitlist positions!!! Don't feel discouraged and good luck to you all :).

CUSOM is a great school, and although I won't be matriculating I really think I would've gotten a higher board score here b/c of their prep than even the place I'm going to. PM me if you guys have any questions!

So, are we only interviewing for the waitlist spots?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got an interview invite and they explicitly said so then yea. She said was letting the applicants know beforehand.

For those of you that submitted your signed offer letter, tech standards, and bulletin via the matriculation page, did you get any confirmation after submitting?

For those of you that submitted your signed offer letter, tech standards, and bulletin via the matriculation page, did you get any confirmation after submitting?
No i just called and they said they had received it..in my case they had multiple copies since i didnt know if they had received them until i called lol

No i just called and they said they had received it..in my case they had multiple copies since i didnt know if they had received them until i called lol

Ah, thank you! I hope mine went through. Felt weird just submitting a first and last name without confirmation. Is that what you did? Unfortunately they are on break now, so I can't double check.

Ah, thank you! I hope mine went through. Felt weird just submitting a first and last name without confirmation. Is that what you did? Unfortunately they are on break now, so I can't double check.
Yep you just put your name and then submit and after a few days you get another email to submit your deposit electronically.

No, I had to email to make sure.

No scholarship stuffs for the November peeps yet? I suppose with the holidays and what-not....

Just withdrew my acceptance. This is a beautiful school, but I picked VCOM Carolinas instead due to the less rural area!

Is there a way to check your admissions status online? Or do you have to call the office?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything regarding the status of the waitlist? Anyone been accepted from the waitlist yet?

I would love for people to withdraw their acceptances so I can get off the waitlist. +1 if you're with me.

Does anyone know how much movement is on the waitlist? I have interview invites much closer, and was trying to decide if it was worth the 10+ hour trip to here just for a waitlist spot. Thanks!

Does anyone know how much movement is on the waitlist? I have interview invites much closer, and was trying to decide if it was worth the 10+ hour trip to here just for a waitlist spot. Thanks!

A good deal, especially at this stage in the cycle. I know at least a few ppl who will be giving up seats by May when they're forced to.

Received an ii for a waitlist position :shrug:. Is there even a chance of matriculating?

I spoke to a person of the phone, and they stated all the 162 seats have been offered. She said there's definitely a chance, but how long would the waitlist be?

I'm not sure. But I can tell you first hand that I'm one of the 162 seats, and I am 99.99999% not attending. I know of at least 1 other student who is also 99% not attending. We paid our deposits early on, and since we did and can't get our money back, we might as well hold our seats until we're forced to give them up because of the almighty "what if" and "why not if we already paid." I know a 3rd person who just got an MD interview and if she gets in, she's gone too. That's 3 seats I know of PERSONALLY. I'm sure there's more.

I'm not sure. But I can tell you first hand that I'm one of the 162 seats, and I am 99.99999% not attending. I know of at least 1 other student who is also 99% not attending. We paid our deposits early on, and since we did and can't get our money back, we might as well hold our seats until we're forced to give them up because of the almighty "what if" and "why not if we already paid." I know a 3rd person who just got an MD interview and if she gets in, she's gone too. That's 3 seats I know of PERSONALLY. I'm sure there's more.
So basically stringing them along and everyone else who is on the waitlist... Thanks a lot haha CUSOM is my top choice because it's closer to home for me and I'd rather go there than the acceptance I have now. To not be able to get all my ducks in a row for school until May would really suck.

II just now for the waitlist.... I've never heard of interviewing for a WL smh

Does anyone know where to find CUSOMs match list?

II after several months of being complete. Will be declining. Wish you all the best for the rest of the cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
First match comes out in March!

I'm a 4th year at CUSOM, once we get a match list I will post it here. ACGME match is March 17th. AOA is Feb 6th and military match already happened. I can confirm that we already had a derm military match at Walter Reed. We only had a handful of people in the military match though so only like 5 (I think) of our students have matched yet.

I'm a 4th year at CUSOM, once we get a match list I will post it here. ACGME match is March 17th. AOA is Feb 6th and military match already happened. I can confirm that we already had a derm military match at Walter Reed. We only had a handful of people in the military match though so only like 5 (I think) of our students have matched yet.

Awesome, thanks!

Here is the Military Match info for those interested:

United States Army (4):

Two will enter Traditional Rotating Internship at Tripler Army Medical Center;

One will enter Traditional Rotating Internship at Tripler Army Medical Center and upon completion, go on to Dermatology at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center; and

One will enter Emergency Medicine at San Antonio Military Medical Center.

United States Airforce (3):

One will enter Traditional Rotating Internship at San Antonio Military Medical Center;

One will enter Family Medicine at Eljin Air Force Base; and

One will enter Internal Medicine at Keesler Air Force Base.

United States Navy (3):

Two will enter Internal Medicine at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center; and

One will enter Family Medicine at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton.

Does interviewing at a later date (from a list) affect your waitlist position?

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about scholarships recently?

How are the interviews like?
The interviews are very relaxed. You will have 3 one-on-one interviews that last for 20 or 30 minutes. I can't remember. They are very conversational. I would say I spent the majority of the time listening to the interviewer and then maybe 10 minutes talking/answering questions.

The interviews are very relaxed. You will have 3 one-on-one interviews that last for 20 or 30 minutes. I can't remember. They are very conversational. I would say I spent the majority of the time listening to the interviewer and then maybe 10 minutes talking/answering questions.

Thanks, man. You just eased a load off my chest.

Do any current students know if we get access to the school gym/workout facility and what the cost would be for that?

Geeking out with my new school email account!

PS thank god it's a google account!

Do any current students know if we get access to the school gym/workout facility and what the cost would be for that?
IIRC from interview day, yes we get access to the undergraduate gym and I believe it is included in tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
Declined my interview here. Good luck to all of you!