BU vs. University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feather421

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am completely torn and stressed out about this decision! I have some personal factors (partner's job, friends, family) that weigh into the decision, but I'm curious about the general impressions other people have of Boston University or University of Colorado. I loved both when I visited, but sometimes things like a school's culture can be harder to discern when you are being shown around by the most gregarious tour guides. Can anyone advise me which school is a better fit based on these intangible factors:

1) Supportive culture. I think I would have a hard time in a Dr. Cox-ian type environment. I really want to go to a school where people aren't looking to break you or to make you miserable to prove a point about the sacrifices that medicine requires.

2) Opportunity for excellence in my chosen specialty. Though this goal of mine may change, I have a desire to potentially work in academic medicine and be a leader in my field (though I'm unsure of that field right now). I know that BU comes with all the potential and other resources that Boston offers, but Denver is a regional hub and may have more unique and cutting edge medicine being done at hospitals I'm directly affiliated with.

3) Freedom of matching. I am so excited about so many different areas of medicine, and I'm a bit of a free spirit when it comes to living locations. I've been living all over the place my entire life, so I don't have a particular desire to be locked into one specific location for residency. Do either Boston or Colorado have the reputation of keeping their students in a particular region?

4) I would have to take additional math classes for Colorado. I can knock these out. It would be horrible, but I could do it. Is it worth making a decision away from Colorado over something like an online math class over the summer?

I know they're both expensive, but I'm not going to take out any COL expenses, so no need for that to be part of the discussion.

Members don't see this ad.