Azcom 2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Words cant describe it...my hands are shaking..I just called adcom...And I was informed I got accepted to my first medical school at the age of 21!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::D:D 100% sure, going to be paying my deposit soon. This feelings is awesome! Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, congrats Frankstein! Totally deserve it :)

Is it possible you could link to this Facebook group?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it makes it official once your in the facebook group, that should be our pre-deposit :D

My brother was also accepted to next years class. Were buying a 3 bedroom house soon near the school and were possibly looking for a third roomate, message me if your interested.

could anyone explain how the third and fourth years work, especially with the ohio core program and tuscon, do you go there for both your 3rd and 4th years. Is there anyway you can say what preference you have? Any way you can have an excuse to stay in glendale/phx? Anyways, anyone's opinions would be great, especially those going through the process right now

My brother was also accepted to next years class. Were buying a 3 bedroom house soon near the school and were possibly looking for a third roomate, message me if your interested.

do you think it is a good investment to buy a house if you might only be there for 2 years?

do you think it is a good investment to buy a house if you might only be there for 2 years?

2 years is risky. I live in AZ and im planning on being here for atleast 4 years (in glendale) and the economy should pick up by than. But you can get a nice 3 bedroom house there for around 80 grand. With the nice 5 percent interest rate that we have, your morgage would be around 500. Get a roomate or 2 and its paid for, plus more! Either way your making money and investing. Thats how I see it.

2 years is risky. I live in AZ and im planning on being here for atleast 4 years (in glendale) and the economy should pick up by than. But you can get a nice 3 bedroom house there for around 80 grand. With the nice 5 percent interest rate that we have, your morgage would be around 500. Get a roomate or 2 and its paid for, plus more! Either way your making money and investing. Thats how I see it.

Ya I would love to live in glendale for 4 years but its risky business when you might be that group that gets thrown into ohio or tuscon

Hey Guys,
Somewhere above someone was asking about clinnical years. The short version is that they're still working on details but from what we've heard (Class 2012) is that Ohio is going to be voluntary (~40 students) and for right now is only third year. I think they are working on an option for students who want to stay for the 4th year also. Overall, they have been redesigning the 3rd and 4th years (over the past few classes) and are continuing to add rotations and solidify the cirriculum for the clinnical years. If you're worried about rotations, just be proactive and seek out the rotations you want.

Future students that are considering buying houses, and are looking for roomates let me know if you are still interested....I am looking to rent a room near campus in a/your house.

PM me to find out more personal information!

Members don't see this ad :)
could anyone explain how the third and fourth years work, especially with the ohio core program and tuscon, do you go there for both your 3rd and 4th years. Is there anyway you can say what preference you have? Any way you can have an excuse to stay in glendale/phx? Anyways, anyone's opinions would be great, especially those going through the process right now

As the program stands today...

Your class will require 40 people to go to Ohio for rotations...I would be surprised if 40 people do not volunteer, as my smaller class filled the 20 spots for us pretty quickly. You dont have to make a decision until the Spring of your 2nd year on that.

For everyone else, you will be spending the majority of your time in Arizona by choosing among preceptors/wards within 'system'. You get put into a lottery with the other people of your track that selected the same preceptors. The vast majority of your third year is spent like this, with your Rural and Primary Care rotation being up for grabs...meaning you can do them wherever you want in the US as long as they sign an agreement, and they meet the necessary standards.

Your 4th year is half/half...you do half in system, half of your choosing for auditions.

when i interviewed, my student guide told me only 12 signed up to go to ohio, i interviewed on 3/2

when i interviewed, my student guide told me only 12 signed up to go to ohio, i interviewed on 3/2

Yeah it'll probably be different for the class of '12 because they're watching what happens to class of '11. If rave reviews about Ohio start trickling down, there will be more enthusiasm. By the time '13 starts rotations things will probably be running smoothly.

i started a thread about nsu vs. azcom, do you guys want to go over there an comment

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=610219
user_online.gif
progress.gif

im confused about the clinical rotations......is the third year set for you and then the whole 4th year you go and look for your own??? Thanks to anyone who responds!

Congratulations to the incoming Class of 2013!

I'm an AZCOM MS4 graduating in June. I have a 3bdrm/2ba lakefront home that will be available for rent for $1500 (Possibly furnished if you prefer). It is located about 1.5 miles from campus, and it literally takes 5 minutes to get to school in the morning. Small pets allowed. It's a beautiful home with many upgrades. Send me an email at [email protected] if you are interested and would like pics.

Hey everyone,
I am currently looking for housing and would love to live on campus with a roomate, i would like to live in the 2 bedroom apartments with the dishwasher and upgrades, so if anyone has a current room in that available or wants to get one together please PM me. I am a 21 yr old male by the way if that matters. PM me and ask me whatever if need be.

im confused about the clinical rotations......is the third year set for you and then the whole 4th year you go and look for your own??? Thanks to anyone who responds!
kinda on the 3rd year...kinda on the 4th year

3rd year you apply to a lottery for your rotation slot, then apply into a lottery about the preceptors/wards you want. 2 of the 11 rotations in the 3rd year may be done out of state, but you have to set them up...they are the Rural med rotation and the PC rotation.

4th year you have about half and half....with the latter half being any electives you wanna roll into.

Hi guys, I asked Jose today if he had any pictures of the apartments. He told me that he would email me the floorplan of the luxury 1 bedroom. I also asked if he had the floorplan for any other of the apartments (as I knew the rest of you living on campus would want to know about other models), but he only emailed me the floorplan for the luxury 1 bedroom. So I am attaching it here in case it helps anyone.

Attachments

• AZCOM_one_bedroom_floor_plan.pdf
    477.2 KB · Views: 412
I went and looked at the model 2 bd/1 ba (or what they now call the 1 bd with den) but it actually is 2 separate bedrooms (with separate doors, closets, both have ample room for full-sized bed, dresser, desk, etc.) and the sinks are also separate (two sinks) and detached from the bathroom itself (so outside from where the toilet and bathtub are located -- the bathroom itself is rather large too, btw). It actually looked pretty nice so I think I am going to switch from spending close to $600/mo with the luxury 2 bd/2ba and sharing the 2 bd/1 ba with one of my classmates. The only downsides I could see was no dishwasher (but I handwash at home anyway), and no washer/dryer (but every building has one located really close). However, for a total savings of $150/mo. those were a couple things I decided I could do without, so I will now be paying around $400/mo including everything instead of ~$550. Hope that helps.

Wow, Renny, that sounds really great. I am seriously tempted to switch to the 2bdr/1bath apartment after reading that.

Well, if you want your own bathroom there is that issue, too. And keep in mind that the 2 bd/1 ba are in the older buildings (or at least I think all of them are). From what I've heard, your option of the brand new luxury 1 bdroom is actually really nice, so again this depends on your preference and finding a good roommate you know you'd be compatible with is really important, esp. when sharing such a small space.

I went and looked at the model 2 bd/1 ba (or what they now call the 1 bd with den) but it actually is 2 separate bedrooms (with separate doors, closets, both have ample room for full-sized bed, dresser, desk, etc.) and the sinks are also separate (two sinks) and detached from the bathroom itself (so outside from where the toilet and bathtub are located -- the bathroom itself is rather large too, btw). It actually looked pretty nice so I think I am going to switch from spending close to $600/mo with the luxury 2 bd/2ba and sharing the 2 bd/1 ba with one of my classmates. The only downsides I could see was no dishwasher (but I handwash at home anyway), and no washer/dryer (but every building has one located really close). However, for a total savings of $150/mo. those were a couple things I decided I could do without, so I will now be paying around $400/mo including everything instead of ~$550. Hope that helps.

Hey Renny, did the 1 bed with den have a balcony/deck or on the first floor did it have a patio kind of thing? Also, I know this is sort of a stupid question but the 1 bed and den is just one main room with the two additional bedrooms and a bathroom? I asked Jose if he had a pic or floor plan and he said he didn't and I am just trying to paint an accurate picture in my mind.

Hey Renny, did the 1 bed with den have a balcony/deck or on the first floor did it have a patio kind of thing? Also, I know this is sort of a stupid question but the 1 bed and den is just one main room with the two additional bedrooms and a bathroom? I asked Jose if he had a pic or floor plan and he said he didn't and I am just trying to paint an accurate picture in my mind.

I'm ******ed. I just realized I should have brought my camera with me. And I can't draw for crap; otherwise, I'd upload a pdf for you. So I'll describe it as best I can. *edit* Patio -- not sure :( Also, when you first walk in, you are in the living/dining room. This area is carpeted. It has enough room for 2 small couches, a small table with chairs, and possibly a TV on the opposite wall (I think we are choosing to put up a dry-erase board instead). Then directly behind the carpeted area is the kitchen (not carpeted), and the fridge looks pretty big. There is no dishwasher, but a small electric stove and lots of cabinet space. So then you walk down a hallway, and on one side is one full-sized bedroom, and on the other side is the bathroom (just one toilet and bathtub, but large). Then if you walk further down the hallway, you will see a countertop with 2 sinks and a mirror. And at the end of the hallway is the other full-sized bedroom. I honestly couldn't tell from looking at it if one bedroom was bigger than the other. They both had doors and closets like regular rooms. So yeah to answer your original question it is like one big room (with kitchen in the back) and 2 bedrooms and bathroom down the hallway.

I'm ******ed. I just realized I should have brought my camera with me. And I can't draw for crap; otherwise, I'd upload a pdf for you. So I'll describe it as best I can. *edit* Patio -- not sure :( Also, when you first walk in, you are in the living/dining room. This area is carpeted. It has enough room for 2 small couches, a small table with chairs, and possibly a TV on the opposite wall (I think we are choosing to put up a dry-erase board instead). Then directly behind the carpeted area is the kitchen (not carpeted), and the fridge looks pretty big. There is no dishwasher, but a small electric stove and lots of cabinet space. So then you walk down a hallway, and on one side is one full-sized bedroom, and on the other side is the bathroom (just one toilet and bathtub, but large). Then if you walk further down the hallway, you will see a countertop with 2 sinks and a mirror. And at the end of the hallway is the other full-sized bedroom. I honestly couldn't tell from looking at it if one bedroom was bigger than the other. They both had doors and closets like regular rooms. So yeah to answer your original question it is like one big room (with kitchen in the back) and 2 bedrooms and bathroom down the hallway.

Thanks Renny! PDF or not that description was perfect! I had a feeling thats what it was going to be set up like but for some reason I couldnt picture how the sq footage was going to be used.

Again I am not sure how dumb this question is but what do I do for furniture? I don't own any now and even if I did it would cost a fortune to move it 2000 miles no matter how I do it. I guess I could just find somewhere to buy cheap furniture.... hadn't really thought about this one. Plus if I/you/someone goes to Ohio for rotations, what then?

Thanks Renny! PDF or not that description was perfect! I had a feeling thats what it was going to be set up like but for some reason I couldnt picture how the sq footage was going to be used.

Again I am not sure how dumb this question is but what do I do for furniture? I don't own any now and even if I did it would cost a fortune to move it 2000 miles no matter how I do it. I guess I could just find somewhere to buy cheap furniture.... hadn't really thought about this one. Plus if I/you/someone goes to Ohio for rotations, what then?

I haven't thought about the Ohio situation for rotations (hoping enough people would volunteer to go), but from what I've seen, there really isn't too much need for that much furniture (couch, perhaps small coffee table, small table with chairs, TV/stand, bed, nightstand, desk, vanity mirror, dresser). These are all things I am planning to get really cheap off craigslist or new from Walmart and IKEA. And if I do end up leaving AZ for rotations, I will probably end up selling it to new students or on craigslist, haha.

Can anyone else not stop thinking about medical school or is it just me?

Even though I know it is going to be hard work (I am sure I am underestimating how hard) I am so excited that I tend to space out and think about it instead of doing my work....

Going to medical school.... so awesome....

I am supposed to be doing work right now :D

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone needs it, but my future roommate got a copy of the two bedroom floorplan, so I thought I'd pass it along here.

(I'm excited about school too, DrMaxwell...my family was asking questions about it all day on Easter too, which made me even more ready to go:))

Attachments

• AZCOM_two_bedroom_floor_plan.pdf
    509.8 KB · Views: 344
I can't wait to start! although i know about 2 weeks into school it's going to get crazy busy. I sit at work every day and just daydream about sunny AZ. Coming from OH so it's really cold and rainy here :( I am so excited for the sun all year round! :)

Can anyone else not stop thinking about medical school or is it just me?

Even though I know it is going to be hard work (I am sure I am underestimating how hard) I am so excited that I tend to space out and think about it instead of doing my work....

Going to medical school.... so awesome....

I am supposed to be doing work right now :D

I think most of us are excited.... but then perhaps after we start school we'll be thinking "I am so busy now. Why the heck was I spending so much time on SDN obsessing about school instead of out having some fun?" I don't think we'll have the kind of time available as we do now for the next several years (or the rest of our careers maybe). So if you are lucky enough to have a more relaxed schedule before classes start, enjoy it!

I can't wait to start! although i know about 2 weeks into school it's going to get crazy busy. I sit at work every day and just daydream about sunny AZ. Coming from OH so it's really cold and rainy here :( I am so excited for the sun all year round! :)

Well you might not enjoy Arizona when you come in late July and it is 110 degrees scorching here. You'll probably be wondering what you were thinking to move to Arizona. However, once December rolls around, you'll know you made a good choice.

Well you might not enjoy Arizona when you come in late July and it is 110 degrees scorching here. You'll probably be wondering what you were thinking to move to Arizona. However, once December rolls around, you'll know you made a good choice.

haha i know. i'm gonna think that i'm melting in weather that hot, but i'm happy making that sacrifice if i never have to scrape 3 inches of ice off of my car every morning in december :)

haha i know. i'm gonna think that i'm melting in weather that hot, but i'm happy making that sacrifice if i never have to scrape 3 inches of ice off of my car every morning in december :)

Or in late March..... nothing like having a 60 degree day followed by snow....

Just thought I would let everyone know that the 2009/2010 cost of attendance/budget including the 2009/2010 tuition was just posted yesterday. Here is a link:

http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/Financial Aid documents/AZCOM.pdf

Wow...thanks for posting, but, WOW. I can't even imagine being that much in dept after one year...and then 3 more after that. Does anyone know or talked to alumni regarding this? Should we be worried about being 300k in dept? I'm just a worried, broke, almost undergrad graduate....

Wow, that definitely shook me up after seeing the budget. I thought the tuition was 43,500 or so, but I guess that was for the class of 2012.

I had to take a few minutes time-out to do some deep breathing to collect myself. It's nerve-racking, but we'll all make it somehow. Other medical students have survived with $200-300k loans, and we will too.

We might have to consider funding sources such as loan repayment options, military, working some years in under-served communities, etc. There are ways to pay back loans after graduation. Also people may have spouses who are working and can help with costs, etc. I don't hear many stories of medical students defaulting on their loans, so I know people have their ways to make things work out.

B-r-e-a-t-h-e...

Wow, that definitely shook me up after seeing the budget. I thought the tuition was 43,500 or so, but I guess that was for the class of 2012.

I had to take a few minutes time-out to do some deep breathing to collect myself. It's nerve-racking, but we'll all make it somehow. Other medical students have survived with $200-300k loans, and we will too.

We might have to consider funding sources such as loan repayment options, military, working some years in under-served communities, etc. There are ways to pay back loans after graduation. Also people may have spouses who are working and can help with costs, etc. I don't hear many stories of medical students defaulting on their loans, so I know people have their ways to make things work out.

B-r-e-a-t-h-e...

It will all be ok. You are correct, the tuition was around 43.5K but I think tuition changes every year. Also you have to take into consideration that the remainder of the cost of attendance (beyond tuition and maybe health insurance) is an estimate. A friend of mine at NOVA told me that she took out enough loans to cover her total cost of attendance number that the school gave her and it was way more than she needed so she took out less the next year. So remember that it may not cost you that much. Many have gone through this before us, many will go through it after we are done, its hard, but its doable.

Last edited:
It will all be ok. You are correct, the tuition was around 43.5K but I think tuition changes every year. Also you have to take into consideration that the remainder of the cost of attendance (beyond tuition and maybe health insurance) is an estimate. A friend of mine at NOVA told me that she took out enough loans to cover her total cost of attendance number that the school gave her and it was way more than she needed so she took out less the next year. So remember that it may not cost you that much. Many have gone through this before us, many will go through it after we are done, its hard, but its doable.

http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/Financial Aid documents/AZCOM.pdf

That's the link someone else posted about tuition...looks like $45k? :(

Can anyone recommend anyone pet-friendly apartments in the area? I'd be moving from out of state and anything that narrows the search down would be much appreciated. :)

Does anyone know when we will be receiving our financial aid award letters?