AZCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know what happens if you back out of the on-campus housing once you are assigned?

I am trying to find the contract but since I am already assigned I cant access it on the portal, I think you forfeit the $500 deposit, but is there any other penalties?

I believe its just the loss of deposit as long as you tell them before the move-in date... I"m not 100% sure though

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know what happens if you back out of the on-campus housing once you are assigned?

I am trying to find the contract but since I am already assigned I cant access it on the portal, I think you forfeit the $500 deposit, but is there any other penalties?

I contacted Jose and he said you cancel online via the portal. You forfeit the $300 (which is like an assignment service fee) but get the $200 (room deposit) back.

Since I emailed him that I was cancelling, he removed my room assignment so through the portal it seemed like I was never assigned a room. Thus, when I cancelled I got the full $500 back (the portal thought I never signed the first contract, and didn't lock in the $300). It's worth a try to email Jose first letting him know you're cancelling, and then waiting a couple of days for him to re-assign that room to someone else before actually cancelling over the portal.

Good luck!

Hey guys,
I just wanted to officially join this thread since I have decided to grace the great state of Arizona and the sufficient school that is AZCOM, with my presence for the class of 2015.

All joking aside, I am thrilled that I will be starting at AZCOM in August. I was going back and forth for awhile between Touro-Ca and AZCOM, and ultimately decided AZCOM would be the better fit. Now that I've made the decision, I'm having trouble remembering why I was conflicted in the first place-I loved everything about the school and the fact that they gave me my first choice of rotations for year 3 (LA).

Anyway, I can't wait to meet all of you. I will be moving out to Glendale (from NJ) on July 3rd and will be living at San Prado. Is anyone else here living at San Prado (or San Lagos)?

Again, looking forward to meeting you all and congrats to everyone on making it this far!! In just a few barbaric years I will be able to call all of you "Dr.", and that is pretty amazing (well about 92% of you since statistically speaking...some of us won't make it):smuggrin:.

See ya soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
My joining this thread was met with considerably less fanfare than I had hoped:(

Seriously though, I am really excited to start at AZCOM and look forward to meeting all of you. My girlfriend and I will be moving out to Glendale (San Prado) on July 3rd. I was wondering what everyone's plans were for the 4th of July. Any chance of there being a get together to maybe BBQ or see some fireworks or something. It would be a great chance for us to get together. Any ideas?

My joining this thread was met with considerably less fanfare than I had hoped:(

Seriously though, I am really excited to start at AZCOM and look forward to meeting all of you. My girlfriend and I will be moving out to Glendale (San Prado) on July 3rd. I was wondering what everyone's plans were for the 4th of July. Any chance of there being a get together to maybe BBQ or see some fireworks or something. It would be a great chance for us to get together. Any ideas?

If you're not on Facebook and/or the 2015 Facebook group I'd really suggest joining it, as a lot more people are active on there and are already planning get togethers for non-4th of July things. If you throw this idea out there, you'll likely get a number of bites as I'm sure there will be people who, at the very least, will be willing to grab a bite to eat and go to a fireworks show somewhere (like at Tempe Town Lake).

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_158051064214073&ap=1

Does anyone know how MWU determine 3rd year clinical grade? Like, is it more emphasized on exams (shelf?) or evals from attending?

Its been a couple years since I completed Biochem. I'm doing some review and I'm wondering if some MWU students could answer this question? I just want to know if learning configurations, R groups, pKa's of H, and the one letter abbr. for each is required?

My Biochem teacher didn't make us do it in undergrad and I'll knock that out this month if needed :)

Thanks for all the help!

Its been a couple years since I completed Biochem. I'm doing some review and I'm wondering if some MWU students could answer this question? I just want to know if learning configurations, R groups, pKa's of H, and the one letter abbr. for each is required?

My Biochem teacher didn't make us do it in undergrad and I'll knock that out this month if needed :)

Thanks for all the help!

No. The only thing related to any of that which you'll potentially need to know in detail are the three letter abbreviations. Also, I'd strongly suggest doing yourself a favor and not studying anymore between now and the start of school, fourteen weeks makes for a long first quarter.

I didnt even take Biochem as an undergrad and am a bit nervous that it will kick my ass when I start at AZCOM in August. Seems like everyone else has an background in biochem and I will be seeing this stuff for the first time.

The only saving grace is i've heard biochem in med school is nothing like undergrad biochem (far less detail in med school and hey make most of it clinically relevant). With that said, is it likely I will struggle since it will all be new to me?

I didnt even take Biochem as an undergrad and am a bit nervous that it will kick my ass when I start at AZCOM in August. Seems like everyone else has an background in biochem and I will be seeing this stuff for the first time.

The only saving grace is i've heard biochem in med school is nothing like undergrad biochem (far less detail in med school and hey make most of it clinically relevant). With that said, is it likely I will struggle since it will all be new to me?

Biochem, conceptually, is easy. Biochem minutiae-wise, is not. Half of what you see during first quarter will be a more detailed presentation of stuff you've seen in undergrad bio courses repeatedly (like DNA replication, transcription, and translation, protein structure, etc). The other half will be metabolism, which most people haven't touched on in any real detail outside of glycolysis, electron transport chain, and oxidative phosphorylation. You'll also be surprised how many people don't really have a background in biochem.

Hello everyone,

Is there any 2011 match list from AZCOM?

Thanks

Hello everyone,

Is there any 2011 match list from AZCOM?

Thanks

Still waiting on the actual list to be made available to us. Allegedly it should be out sometime this month...

Preliminary data I posted in the 2010-11 discussion thread:

-17 scrambles of 150 (=11%)
-25% IM
-19% FP
-17% ER
-7 ortho
-70% ACGME match
-1 (not certain on # but certain of at least one DO match) ENT

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on the actual list to be made available to us. Allegedly it should be out sometime this month...

-25% IM
-19% FP
-17% ER
-7 ortho
-70% ACGME match

Whoa, where'd you get the info? I've been dying to know this too, although things have been hectic with boards and moving.

They're really behind this year as we knew 2010's results months earlier than this. I guess better late than never.

Whoa, where'd you get the info? I've been dying to know this too, although things have been hectic with boards and moving.

They're really behind this year as we knew 2010's results months earlier than this. I guess better late than never.

This was thrown into one of the SGA board meeting minutes and then the ENT addition was just because one of the 2011s talked to us in Dr. S's class about rotations and matching and told us he matched ENT. They're definitely dragging their butts about getting the full data out though, but allegedly it comes out this month...we'll see...

This was thrown into one of the SGA board meeting minutes and then the ENT addition was just because one of the 2011s talked to us in Dr. S's class about rotations and matching and told us he matched ENT. They're definitely dragging their butts about getting the full data out though, but allegedly it comes out this month...we'll see...

It has been a mission of the COSGP (Council of Osteopathic Student Government Presidents) to get AACOM to release this type of information nationally. For one reason or another getting AACOM and the NBOME (National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners; the people that make the COMLEX) to coordinate and compile their information (match results by specialty and by board scores) has been difficult. We are making progress and hopefully within the next few years we will have the match data that parallels that of the Allopathic match and USMLE score results.

I've been doing a bit of looking and have found a few apps that seem like they'd be really helpful but I contacted Stanford U's medical program and asked what they recommend to their medical students now that they are giving each incoming MSI a new ipad. Here is the link they responded with in case anyone is interested.

http;//med.stanford.edu/medapps

There are a few tabs so check em out if you'd like.
I have looked into the facebook group and everyone seems to be getting the iPAD 2. I am scrambling for funds at the moment and I have found some fantastic deals on the iPAD 1. Would it be okay for me to get that instead? Would I miss out on the iAnnotate software/stylus option that everyone seems to be raving about?

BTW, how far is Albertson's from the main campus? Is it really like a 5 minute walk? I'm truly pinching pennies after receiving my award letter :eek:

Thanks guys

-25% IM
-19% FP
-17% ER
-7 ortho
-70% ACGME match

Thanks, random.

Do you happen to have the match list for last year graduating class?

I have looked into the facebook group and everyone seems to be getting the iPAD 2. I am scrambling for funds at the moment and I have found some fantastic deals on the iPAD 1. Would it be okay for me to get that instead? Would I miss out on the iAnnotate software/stylus option that everyone seems to be raving about?

BTW, how far is Albertson's from the main campus? Is it really like a 5 minute walk? I'm truly pinching pennies after receiving my award letter :eek:

Thanks guys

I'm guessing iAnnotate will work on the iPad2 because most people I know with iPads here don't have the iPad2, but I'd double-check.

The Albertson's is just on the other side of the 101, as is Fry's. It's a bit more than a five minute walk, but if the mood to walk to the grocery store hits you it's definitely doable if you're not purchasing a ton of stuff.

Thanks, random.

Do you happen to have the match list for last year graduating class?

Nope, they're dragging rear on getting it put out.

I'm guessing iAnnotate will work on the iPad2 because most people I know with iPads here don't have the iPad2, but I'd double-check.

The Albertson's is just on the other side of the 101, as is Fry's. It's a bit more than a five minute walk, but if the mood to walk to the grocery store hits you it's definitely doable if you're not purchasing a ton of stuff.

Oh. I meant last year's match list for Class of 2010.

(But yeah, they're definitely dragging it out.)

I'm a new incoming student from Cali.

Is there any graduate who are selling furniture / queen size bed / mattress? Or do you guys know a good website that I can find them at other than craigslist? I'd prefer something in decent condition.

Interesting. Someone matched Derm/Allo/Mayo

Regarding furniture, I am getting mine probably from amazon and hopefully have it delivered on my move-in day.

Even crazier is the Baylor (Ben Taub) Rad onc match.

I'm a new incoming student from Cali.

Is there any graduate who are selling furniture / queen size bed / mattress? Or do you guys know a good website that I can find them at other than craigslist? I'd prefer something in decent condition.

I was wondering the same. Please do share if you find something.

Thanks so much for the reply! Any tips on where to get the stylus for cheap? Some people have recommended Netter's Anatomy Flashcards and First Aid as apps that would be useful...do you have any suggestions? I know that Histoplex doesn't quite work on Macs. Also, any iPhone apps you would suggest?

It's looking really difficult for me to finance a car there, but I will see if I can afford it....if not hopefully there will be someone nice enough to give me a ride. I believe you mentioned eariler that there is a bus system around outside of campus that is mostly empty--perhaps I can use that for a weekly trip to Albertson's.

Thanks so much for the reply! Any tips on where to get the stylus for cheap? Some people have recommended Netter's Anatomy Flashcards and First Aid as apps that would be useful...do you have any suggestions? I know that Histoplex doesn't quite work on Macs. Also, any iPhone apps you would suggest?

It's looking really difficult for me to finance a car there, but I will see if I can afford it....if not hopefully there will be someone nice enough to give me a ride. I believe you mentioned eariler that there is a bus system around outside of campus that is mostly empty--perhaps I can use that for a weekly trip to Albertson's.

I'm pretty useless for any suggestions on apps and whatnot because I'm actually not an Apple user myself, I just know that most people around here don't have iPad2s.

There is a bus system but making a friend would be easier.

Hi,
Thanks randomuser for the valuable insight. I was wondering if you had any idea as to what banks would be recommended as alternatives to the PLUS loans and unsubsidized stafford loans at 6.8%?

Anyone have any advice in this arena?

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi,
Thanks randomuser for the valuable insight. I was wondering if you had any idea as to what banks would be recommended as alternatives to the PLUS loans and unsubsidized stafford loans at 6.8%?

Anyone have any advice in this arena?

Thanks in advance guys!

Not a clue, I've always just heard the government loans are the lesser of two evils if they're an option for you.

Hey guys,
Really dumb question...but what do you recommend buying before class as far as school stuff is concerned? Usually I go out and by a lot of note books for the different classes in undergrad. SHould I buy invididual ones for AZCOM? Should I also buy multiple different colored pens? I know this is kinda like 2nd grade, but is there a school supply list you suggest?

Also, i'm living on campus and I'm really concerned about the scorpions/ants, should I bring in some type of sprayer with me and spray the place down beforehand? Lastly, what temperature do you usually set the AC to that doesn't make your utilities soar and is comfortable?

After receiving my financial aid package, I'm being quite frugal.

thanx guys :love::love:

Hey guys,
Really dumb question...but what do you recommend buying before class as far as school stuff is concerned? Usually I go out and by a lot of note books for the different classes in undergrad. SHould I buy invididual ones for AZCOM? Should I also buy multiple different colored pens? I know this is kinda like 2nd grade, but is there a school supply list you suggest?

Also, i'm living on campus and I'm really concerned about the scorpions/ants, should I bring in some type of sprayer with me and spray the place down beforehand? Lastly, what temperature do you usually set the AC to that doesn't make your utilities soar and is comfortable?

After receiving my financial aid package, I'm being quite frugal.

thanx guys :love::love:

Unless you want to rewrite the lectures, notebooks won't be of too much use. Every course provides you with access to PDFs of lectures and some courses will print those out for you so you don't have to do it yourself. I know a number of people do the multi-colored pens in their printouts, so if that's your thing I'd say go for it. You might like to have some folders/binders to carry material for each class in though, just to keep it all separated.

The bugs really aren't that bad (at least not right now), your apartment should be fine. Also, whatever you do don't get a fogger/bug bomb and set it off in your apartment. Somebody did that a few weeks ago and set off fire alarms. If you have a problem you just have to let the apartment manager know and he'll get something done about it.

As far as utilities go, aside from this past month I've kept my apartment around 77/78 in the day and 72/74 at night and have kept my bill reasonable. Also, when you transfer the electricity over to your name with APS, have the rep you talk to mail you an E-3 application so that you can fill it out and get reduced rates (assuming you'll have no income aside from student loans which shouldn't count as income).

Thanks for the help random. Was wondering how the tap water is to drink in the on-campus housing. Would it be a good idea to buy a filter or get water bottles in bulk? Also has the housing wifi situation improved? I have heard lec halls are pretty bad. Hopefully I will not need to get my own service.

Thanks for the help random. Was wondering how the tap water is to drink in the on-campus housing. Would it be a good idea to buy a filter or get water bottles in bulk? Also has the housing wifi situation improved? I have heard lec halls are pretty bad. Hopefully I will not need to get my own service.

Tap water anywhere in the Phoenix-area = crap. I go through a ton of bottled water (should really just invest in a filter...) and the majority of people I know do also or own a faucet or pitcher filter.

The wifi in the on-campus housing is the same as that in the lecture halls (so, horrible). You can either go wired in your apartment or invest in a router (most people seem to go with the latter) and set up your own "hotspot." The internet still kind of sucks though when all of the programs are in session (it's not bad right now because it's summer and most students are on break) because they seem to be throttling the connection so the only time it runs well is from 1:00AM-7:00AM when everybody but us DO kids seems to be asleep.

Does anyone know how to get HDTV with on campus housing cable?

Does anyone know how to get HDTV with on campus housing cable?

I'm not sure if you can or not, but no matter what just contact Jose and he'll be able to tell you IF you can and if it's an option he'll tell you how you can.

I'm not sure if you can or not, but no matter what just contact Jose and he'll be able to tell you IF you can and if it's an option he'll tell you how you can.

Haven't been able to reach Jose in days---is there another number other than what's on the website for housing?

Does anyone know what type of attire we should have for orientation week? I believe I had read casual somewhere but I also recall reading that there were planned class photos? I really feel like wearing flip flops but I don't want to be out of place lol

Does anyone know what type of attire we should have for orientation week? I believe I had read casual somewhere but I also recall reading that there were planned class photos? I really feel like wearing flip flops but I don't want to be out of place lol

Dress comfortably. The first day they should be taking your photo for your ID so maybe wear a shirt/top a bit nicer than a Coors shirt.

Does anyone know how MWU determine 3rd year clinical grade? Like, is it more emphasized on exams (shelf?) or evals from attending?

50% is your Preceptor grade and 50% is from your NBME/NBOME shelf. You have to get a passing score on both, not the combination of scores.

Thanks random!

Any tips on how to study anatomy if one has never studied it before in college? First time ever for me. Is Dr. Nydam really difficult on purpose.

Also, any studying strategies for Dr. Yueh and her Biochemistry exams? Anything other than just reading the notes and summarizing. Did you make flashcards? Helpful websites for some of the reactions? Like interactive things and such?

Lastly, I was wondering if you guys knew anyone who was selling HistoTime or if it is really important.

THanks so much in advance

Thanks random!

Any tips on how to study anatomy if one has never studied it before in college? First time ever for me. Is Dr. Nydam really difficult on purpose.

Also, any studying strategies for Dr. Yueh and her Biochemistry exams? Anything other than just reading the notes and summarizing. Did you make flashcards? Helpful websites for some of the reactions? Like interactive things and such?

Lastly, I was wondering if you guys knew anyone who was selling HistoTime or if it is really important.

THanks so much in advance

Anyone care to answer this? I'm also a new matriculant and I would be really grateful as I share the same questions.

Which courses do we share with pod. students?

Oh, thanks. Basic science course includes like Micro/path/pharm but not gross anatomy?

MS1: biochem, anatomy, histo/embryo, physio
MS2: micro, path, pharm

Chances are a number of the people you've seen in lecture and thought were fellow DO students are actually pods.

Thanks. Yeah, there should be 32-50 of them. The only classes not shared are specific classes like OMED, ICM, PCE, etc.