Azcom 2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michelleeexodoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for people who are for sure going to AZCOM this upcoming year!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm lucky enough to have this same decision and it is a HARD one for me.... Anyone have info on how the two compare?

Weather and rent are both huge criteria, if you're happy with everything else about both places

has anyone figured out if you can access AZCOM's mail via Microsoft Outlook? i want to keep it with my other mail accounts and not have to use the web based program. :confused::confused:

thx

accepted= good news! just made the call (btw calling instead of waiting in a GOOD idea). Someone should start a facebook group. I

s anyone not from Arizona in this thread?

When did you people who are accepted interview?

hey everyone, i am most likely going to azcom as of now ..i loved it! im from so cal...where is everyone from?
congrats to everyone who got accepted! :thumbup:
Also, does anyone know if you do most of your rotations in az? it seemed from the residency placements that most stay in AZ too....

Houston! Welcome!

lots will do rotations in Phoenix and south AZ. some will go to north AZ, and some to Ohio. Ohio sounds scary, but I think a lot of northerners will want to move closer to home so Im not too worried :scared::scared::)

hey everyone, i am most likely going to azcom as of now ..i loved it! im from so cal...where is everyone from?
congrats to everyone who got accepted! :thumbup:
Also, does anyone know if you do most of your rotations in az? it seemed from the residency placements that most stay in AZ too....

I loved AZCOM too. I am from so cal also...where in so cal are u from??

I hear most rotation sites are in AZ.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Atlanta, didn't really like PCOM-GA and didn't have a letter from an DO (just an MD), so decided to apply far away (since most schools on the East coast and in Florida require a letter, whats up with that?!), and working fulltime made it hard to get one.
interviewed on 10/15, called yesterday and got accepted.

did anyone get to see a fitness center/weight room? we didn't on my interview day and I'm curious about it

congrats yogi!! are you holding out for somewhere else or are you decided on AZCOM?

did anyone get to see a fitness center/weight room? we didn't on my interview day and I'm curious about it

If I am not mistaken there is a small workout room right now but by the time we would start in the fall there will be a new full gym ready for us to use...:D

I could be mixing it up with another school...Maybe a current student can give us some info...

that would be amazing if we had a new gym!!

what other schools is everyone looking at/been to?

Last edited:
hey guys/gals. I am form central NJ and I will be attending AZOM starting fal 2009 baby!!

For those who want to know, I interviewed 10/14 and got my letter on 10/27. I love AZCOM's focus on board scores and competitive residency placements. That's a great way to ensure your graduates are not limited as to what fields they can enter. Plus you get an amazing OMM education. Sure the tuition is ridiculous @ 42k/year, but the living expenses are not that bad. You could probably scrape by on about 10-15 a year. .This is well below the ridiculous figure of 23k they give you on interview day.

welcome matlab!!! :D

yeah, i agree you should be able to get by on less than they budget. good thing!

does anyone know when school starts? my boss is already finding my replacement!! ouch

I'm not sure if the final decision has been made but I know they were considering starting school a few weeks earlier (mainly biochem) to try and spread out the first quarter and make things more manageable...

I'm not sure if the final decision has been made but I know they were considering starting school a few weeks earlier (mainly biochem) to try and spread out the first quarter and make things more manageable...

really?! cool! I knew they were doing that at ccom, but I didnt know about AZ. I hear the first part is the worst so Ill take all the help I can get! :laugh:

Alright, its final. I'm headed to AZCOM, just sent in my deposit. :thumbup:

im 90% on AZCOM. I sent in my deposit. I liked the school.

But i heard they dont give u enough time to study for baords after MS II....thats a worry....you guys hear anything?

anyone know when the on campus housing stuff is due?

But i heard they dont give u enough time to study for baords after MS II....thats a worry....you guys hear anything?

According to the student services website (where we scheduled to interview) matriculated applicants will not be able to apply for housing until December 5th.

I heard they only get a couple of weeks! ouch!! :eek:

i dont have facebook yet. should i get it? does AZCOM have a page or something?

Hi everyone! Congrats on your acceptances! I'm a first year at AZCOM but I decelerated (5 year program) so I will now be Class of 2013. Let me know if you have any questions. If I don't have the answer I'm sure I know someone who does. :)

Hey! I just got into AZCOM on Friday and I am so excited to go here!

Hello everyone. Can't wait to see everyone in the fall. Some great news today about Midwestern signing a letter of understanding with the City of Glendale and USA Basketball to be the health care provider for the new Basketball Olympic Training facility to be built approximately five miles from our Glendale campus. ;) This opens a lot of opportunity for any of those sports med folks. Plus, it provides great experiences.

Super excited to come here next year!! Hi alllll! Making the move from California :);)

Hi everyone! Congrats on your acceptances! I'm a first year at AZCOM but I decelerated (5 year program) so I will now be Class of 2013. Let me know if you have any questions. If I don't have the answer I'm sure I know someone who does. :)

Hey I'm just a curious MS-IV. How many people in your class decelerated? I think we had about five in my class. Does AZCOM still charge you a full year of tuition for that extra year? What were your reasons for taking the extra year? One of my buddies got married and another got divorced so it seems that there are various reasons.

To any incoming MS-I's I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the school in general. I'll admit that I'm not sure about what the new rotation policy is though... For those of you thinking about internal medicine and its subspecialties, I'm currently interviewing for allopathic university programs so I can give you some insight. Good luck!

I am a member of c/o 2013. I have been thinking about doing cards. Here are some of my questions:

What did you do to be competitive for allopathic IM?
When you apply for IM do you need to declare interest in cards, GI, etc?
What subspecialty are you thinking about?

I would appreciate all the insight you could give on the process. That is, COMLEX 1, 2, 3 and USMLE 1 - did you take step 2? How did you schedule your rotations, and were they at academic centers? Thanks for your time.

I am a member of c/o 2013. I have been thinking about doing cards. Here are some of my questions:

What did you do to be competitive for allopathic IM?
When you apply for IM do you need to declare interest in cards, GI, etc?
What subspecialty are you thinking about?

I would appreciate all the insight you could give on the process. That is, COMLEX 1, 2, 3 and USMLE 1 - did you take step 2? How did you schedule your rotations, and were they at academic centers? Thanks for your time.

It really isn't that difficult to match in allopathic IM. However, matching at university based programs is more difficult. If you want to get into a cardiology or GI fellowship it is very beneficial to do IM at a university program. This is for a couple of reasons. First, they offer many fellowships in house and tend to offer spots to their own residents. Second, they offer research opportunities that are critical for fellowship application. Third, applying for fellowship with a university name is important. Usually it is best to declare your interest in something like cards at the beginning of your intern year since you have to apply during to PGY-2 year.

To be competetive for these programs work hard to get a good class rank (top third of the class), do well on step 1 and step 2 of USMLE, and most importantly do a subinternship at an academic center early in your fourth year to get a letter of recommendation from a teaching attending.

I am not sure yet whether I will pursue a subspecialty or be a hospitalist, but I am leaning towards GI or possibly ID. Since you have not yet started first year I would concentrate on doing well in your classes and learning how to study effectively :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice. Good luck with your future pursuits.

Matt,

I was accepted to AZCOM for next year and am unsure about committing to the program. I clicked on your link from studentdoctor.net. I am concerned about the increase of students from 130 to 250 and would like to know if you believe the university can handle this increase. In general, how is the quality of education in preparing you for the boards? Some students said they do a poor job and really there main objective is to simply have the students pass the boards. Are the average pass rates low, and this is why a large majority of former students have gone into primary medicine? I really want to pursue general surgery. Also, I heard that students are tested every Monday. I am prepared to work hard in med school, but have never heard of such a curriculum. What are your thoughts on this (Like or Dislike)? The dean also informed me that they only give a 2 week break to study for USMLE & COMLEX? Isn't that ridiculous? One last thing: Do the residency/fellowship programs associated with the school really give grads one foot in the door for obtaining future positions? Bc I am considering some new schools which do not have these established relationships and was curious if I would be at a huge disadvantage. Sorry for the long message, I am just really selective and this is a big decision for me coming from East coast. Thank you so much.

Has anyone heard anything about having online lectures for next year?

current student........On campus or off?

I'm interested in this as well....I think we might get more responses on the current student osteo board though.

I wonder if they allow cats? If no then no on-campus housing for me.:D

I'm interested in this as well....I think we might get more responses on the current student osteo board though.

I wonder if they allow cats? If no then no on-campus housing for me.:D

They don't allow cats or dogs :(
On campus is great. I live on campus and I like it. I Have a wife and 18 month old son though and so our 1 bedroom with a den is a little cramped. For this reason, we won't be living here next year. But if you are single I would say live on campus. It will save you time and money.

Internet and cable (very basic) are included in rent. That is another perk.

Is it possible to get more than 2 people into one complex? I have two interested roommates for on campus housing.

Right now, I'm not even sure where I will end up, but I at least want to secure something for now. Losing the deposit might hurt, but hopefully someone could help with this.

I've been accepted!

But now I have to choose between Touro-NV and this school.

Admittedly, I'm about 50/50 between the two schools, but I'm reading up as much as I can between the two schools so I don't have to resort to a coin flip.

Any of you supporters of either school are welcome to PM me or post something to help me in my decision. ^_^v

For anyone living on campus:

I noticed that only a few of the brand new places have washers/dryers, are there places in the on campus housing complex to do laundry? Or do you have to drive somewhere?? Just curious.

Thanks!

For anyone living on campus:

I noticed that only a few of the brand new places have washers/dryers, are there places in the on campus housing complex to do laundry? Or do you have to drive somewhere?? Just curious.

Thanks!

There are a couple places in our on campus housing that has washers / dryers, they are relatively close to the pool. I have never had to drive off campus for this. :) Hope this helps.