Azcom 2013!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just put in a deposit for oncampus housing. Coming from out of state and single so I think it'll just be easier first year.

Is oncampus housing unfurnished? Are the new apartments, very dorm like or do they look like real apartments? Are the studios cramped?

Thanks!

There are a couple places in our on campus housing that has washers / dryers, they are relatively close to the pool. I have never had to drive off campus for this. :) Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, they are all unfurnished. They are apartments in nature not dorms. I have a 1 bedroom 1 den, it's not very spacious, but its relatively cheap compared to the apartments very close to campus and it's always nice to be able to walk to campus in under 5 minutes. I believe they will be starting construction on a whole new set of apartments as well.

As for the studios being cramped, I can't speak for that. I am in the 1 bedroom / 1 den apartment, the living room is nothing to brag about, but I don't have a room mate and its perfect for me. I have one study room and one bedroom and I think its roughly 700$ a month including water, basic tv, high speed internet, and local telephone. We have to cover the electric which hasn't been over $45 for me yet. Hope this helps.

Hi Everyone:

I just sent in my deposit! :laugh:

Time to start researching housing!

I'm so excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just sent in my deposit. I decided on AZCOM over CCOM and KCOM, and I'm getting really excited now that I know where I'm going. I think AZCOM is going to be great.

Last edited:
What made everyone choose AZCOM? I would like to hear people's opinions. I can't wait to start.

What made everyone choose AZCOM? I would like to hear people's opinions. I can't wait to start.

I chose AZCOM because of their focus on boards. I am interested in a couple of competitive residencies, so great board scores can only help. Plus it is closer to family, warm weather (although I'm not too excited about the 120 degree summers), plus the facilities are really nice. I just got a good vibe from my interview experience.

I just withdrew my acceptance. Congrats to everyone! The AZ heat takes some getting used to but once you do you will love it! Wish you all the best!

I'm somewhat familiar with the Glendale area and very familiar with AZ (lived here for the last 8 years) feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Can current students talk about which clubs/groups are active on campus? I've seen the list on the student life link from http://www.midwestern.edu/glendale
, however, I bet this is not a complete list.

I hear there are a few student-run clinics. Anyone have more information on these?

Wilderness medicine club? Integrative medicine club?
Enjoy.

I chose AZCOM because of the focus on boards, the opportunities to work with underserved communities, the diversity that I observed on campus, and the overall positive feeling that I obtained while I was interviewing. Also, I love the location because it's still close to home (I'm from Southern California), but provides a change of scenery.

Although I'm like 95% sure I'll be at AZCOM, I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other schools before making my definite decision. But AZCOM is still one of my top choices! :)

My suggestion...

Study as much as possible your first two years. Perform research at a nationally recognized allopathic program your first summer of medical school. Begin to look at what allopathic schools take osteopathic transfers and inquire about open positions during your first and second years. Take the USMLE and score well. Transfer to an allopathic program at the end of your second year. Obtain a strong allopathic residency.

The reality is this... AZCOM is excellent the first two years and will prepare you for the USMLE Step 1. The teaching faculty of years one and two are excellent with exception of the OMM faculty. (it will cost you a significant amount of money compared to other institutions) However, the disappointing reality is that the majority of allopathic residencies have significant bias towards osteopathic graduates. I am the only person in AZCOM history to transfer to an allopathic program and one of very few that have ever done it from any osteopathic program. My year there were only two transfer positions available in the nation. I am currently interviewing for residency positions and at almost all of my interviews my transfer is mentioned and I am told very frankly that I would not have received an opportunity to interview if I was graduating from an osteopathic program no matter what my board scores. I have even been on sub-internships were attendings have pointed out that they would never offer an interview to a D.O. This becomes evident when you go to residency program websites and look at where they accept their applicants. You will find that most major universities take few if any osteopathic graduates. Most find positions at community-based programs.

Why am I doing this? 1) I still cannot get over the fact that Dr. Goeppinger makes approximately $700,000/year and your tuition continues to increase annually and 2) Many D.O. graduates will never be given a chance at major training institutions and this is swept under the rug not only when you interview at osteopathic programs but also when you are attending classes at AZCOM.

(see this site for salary comparison)
http://onlineathens.com/multimedia/news/06college_pres_salaries/colpressal.pdf

Therefore, my suggest is as mentioned above: 1) transfer to an allopathic program (extremely difficult) or 2) take another year to perform research at an allopathic program and reapply to medical school. If your skeptical of my story ask any member of the AZCOM2009 graduating class.

Best of luck,
DOTransfer

Here's info on clubs..

http://www.azcomsga.com/

P.S. (juast a personal aside).... I'm really tired of people B****ing about the tuition at AZCOM. It's not like they hide it from you all four years and then give you a bill at the end. You know what the tuition is when you apply, you know that tuition is when you interview, you know what the tuition is when you accept- If you don't like the dollar amount, why oh why would you even consider AZCOM as an option. Yes- Dr. G has a hefty salary, but even if she took a 50% pay cut and passed out the difference to the 3,392 students (2007-2008 projected enrollment, doesn't include students from class increases and new programs) that go to MWU.... that's a whole $103 that could be saved off my $43,000/ yr tuition... what a dent. Yes tuition is rising, but I'm pretty sure that AZCOM is not the only school in the entire nation that is raising thier tuition annually.

Last edited:
Transfer to an allopathic program at the end of your second year.

Spreading a little Christmas cheer, are we? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Congratulations to everyone who got in to AZCOM! I'm a first year medical student at AZCOM and am enjoying the program tremendously. I might add, I started in fall '07 but had to take a leave of absence for a variety of reasons. So I have experienced the smaller class as well as the new, larger class. A couple of comments for you, for what it's worth.

First of all, PLEASE PLEASE disregard the troll. AZCOM is a fine program and many of its graduates go on to competitive residencies such as surgery and anesthesiology. The faculty is outstanding, very approachable, and very enthusiastic about their fields. AZCOM has a good reputation around the country, and for good reason. Don't worry; you'll be fine here.

The 250 person class is new this year, expanded from 150 last year. In reality, most of the first year science courses include DPM students so it's more like 300. We were apprehensive at first about the numbers, but it's turned out to be OK. It's just more people, that's all. It's taken the administrative folks a while to adjust, though; some of the lines at orientation were rather long, and they kept running out of forms. But I think by next fall they will have these problems ironed out. Anyway, the larger class has worked out pretty well. It's a little less intimate than the smaller class, but we make up for that in spirit and enthusiasm. If any of you interviewed on October 31 you will have seen a lot of us in costumes. I was that weird guy wearing a kilt who came up and talked to you in the cafeteria. :)

The class of 2012 has its own website, started by an enthusiastic MS1 who is now the class president. It's been an outstanding resource and many people have contributed useful study materials. Some students have come up with their own Powerpoints and PDFs of the material for self-testing, some of it quite professional. There are also lots of links to other websites as people discover them. Hopefully we'll be able to pass a lot of this material on to you, and perhaps you'll add to it as well.

The new auditorium was completed in time for white coat day, so we have used it once, and we will move there in January, so we're told. It's a nice facility but they forgot to install power outlets for laptops. I can't comment much further since it's so new.

The new exercise facility should be completed very soon, and that's going to be a great improvement over the teeny little existing workout room.

The library expansion is done, and there's more space now. They expanded into what used to be the administration offices, and the Deans have moved over to the new Glendale Hall.

Be aware that this is not a school that emphasizes computers. They don't provide wifi in lecture halls at this time, though it is available in the library and cafeteria. You will want a computer for various purposes but it's definitely not a requirement so don't stress over having one the first week.

They're trying to make more time for board exam prep, and I think your class will start 2nd year a little sooner. Note also that AZCOM front-loads the heavy science stuff during 1st and 2nd quarters to give you more time in 3rd quarter to study for the boards.

You will not need to buy most of the textbooks. The only ones you'll want to own are the Netter's Anatomy (comes with membership in SOMA) and a couple of the board review books like BRS Physiology, BRS Biochemistry and BRS Anatomy. These books are all available in the library as well.

Try to get an apartment on campus. It's a good deal, with reasonable rents, cable/internet included, and no driving--5 minute walk to class. Next nearest is the two complexes across the street; they're not the cheapest, but they're nice and convenient. There are a lot of affordable apartment complexes within 3-4 miles of the school but just bear in mind that you will need to drive (or bike), and that's time out of your day. If you're a family, you might prefer a house, and right now is a great time to buy; we bought a house a mile south of the campus and we love it. ziprealty.com is a good resource to get a feel for the market, and it's not too early to start looking, since it really takes a few months to get to know the housing market especially if you're from out of town.

Anyway sorry for the overly long and probably boring posting. We're on break right now and I'm going nuts on the computer, though I do need to be studying some biochem and anatomy. Good luck to everyone who is still applying and to all who have gotten an acceptance, enjoy your last few months of freedom before the wildest ride of your life begins!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
so to the current students or prospective students to AZCOM, do yall know if they allow us to use Macbooks..I just bought one and am worried that we wont get to use it because of compatibility issues and various things like that..I'll be looking forward to see you all soon

What should we do to (1) get the wifi turned on during class and (2) to get lectures video recorded and posted online?

Are the lecture powerpoints already being posted online?

I understand that there are very few books we need to buy because most of our materials are given to us in packets, but are these all paper packets or are they .pdfs, .docs, and .ppts??

-Enjoy-

What should we do to (1) get the wifi turned on during class and (2) to get lectures video recorded and posted online?

Are the lecture powerpoints already being posted online?

I understand that there are very few books we need to buy because most of our materials are given to us in packets, but are these all paper packets or are they .pdfs, .docs, and .ppts??

-Enjoy-

There has been talk about video recording the lectures for the students, but no action yet. It's OK to audio record the lectures as long as you ask the individual prof for permission.

Lecture notes are placed in mailboxes. Some profs hand out a week's worth of lecture notes in advance and others stick them in 30 minutes before the lecture. Sometimes the notes are handed out in the lecture hall. Usually the notes are available online before they are printed.

As for wi-fi in the lecture halls, the students request this every year, and every year it's turned down. Perhaps your class will be the ones to finally get this passed.

In this day and age, increasingly students are using smartphones with G3/Edge connectivity so wi-fi is becoming less of an issue. Palm Treos and iPhones can do Netter's flashcards which can come in handy.

What smartphone(s) would you recommend to an incoming med student? I will be purchasing a new phone before matriculation in August and would love some input!

What smartphone(s) would you recommend to an incoming med student? I will be purchasing a new phone before matriculation in August and would love some input!

(1) If you are going to get the phone this summer...the smartphones will probably go through another evolution (new phones/new features) by then, and thus these comments may not be worth much. Check out CNET.com for electronic reviews (phones and more).

(2) I have an iphone 3g and I really love it. I use multiple features of the phone every day. I listen to many medical/health and other podcasts and videocasts, check email, make calls, listen to the radio (pandora), use the gps/maps, read the news, play games, check the weather, study, use the scientific calculator, watch videos, ect... You can do these elsewhere, but it is really convenient, easy, and simple with the iphone.

Now there are numerous medical/health applications for the iphone (anatomy, biochem, micro, med terminology, USMLE review, ect... interactive flashcards and books), medical history taking apps, drug chart apps, medical calculators, dictionaries, encyclopedias, the list goes on... Check out the medical, healthcare and fitness, education, and reference sections at this site: http://appshopper.com/ .

There are other good phones out there, but from the few blackberries and other smartphones I have played with...iphone is by FAR the best on nearly every perspective.... The iphone is currently the only apple product i own, but I am really hoping and waiting for an innovative apple tablet laptop that would work great for taking notes on in med school.

(1) If you are going to get the phone this summer...the smartphones will probably go through another evolution (new phones/new features) by then, and thus these comments may not be worth much. Check out CNET.com for electronic reviews (phones and more).

(2) I have an iphone 3g and I really love it. I use multiple features of the phone every day. I listen to many medical/health and other podcasts and videocasts, check email, make calls, listen to the radio (pandora), use the gps/maps, read the news, play games, check the weather, study, use the scientific calculator, watch videos, ect... You can do these elsewhere, but it is really convenient, easy, and simple with the iphone.

Now there are numerous medical/health applications for the iphone (anatomy, biochem, micro, med terminology, USMLE review, ect... interactive flashcards and books), medical history taking apps, drug chart apps, medical calculators, dictionaries, encyclopedias, the list goes on... Check out the medical, healthcare and fitness, education, and reference sections at this site: http://appshopper.com/ .

There are other good phones out there, but from the few blackberries and other smartphones I have played with...iphone is by FAR the best on nearly every perspective.... The iphone is currently the only apple product i own, but I am really hoping and waiting for an innovative apple tablet laptop that would work great for taking notes on in med school.

Good summary by Lucky, I agree with your conclusions. The Palm Treo (650, 750, Centro models) is another one that has a lot of good medical software. Palms in general have been a big hit with doctors so you can find a ton of stuff free and not-free.

I have a Palm T3 (the old fashioned non-phone type) with Stedman's medical dictionary, Netter's anatomy flashcards, OED, a free mnemonics list, and a bunch of my own typed-in notes that are easily searchable when I need to remember a term. I find the OED and Stedman's particularly useful for quickly finding a medical term. The concise Oxford actually has quite a lot of medical terminology.

My suggestion is to just be careful about bringing fun gadgets to lecture that have the potential to distract you from the basic job of listening and learning. I speak from experience... :cry:

I'm applying to AZCOM this next cycle -it's my #1 choice, and I was wondering what your guy's stats, ECs, etc were; and also any advice you have for a AZCOM hopeful? Thanks, and hope to join you all soon!

I'm applying to AZCOM this next cycle -it's my #1 choice, and I was wondering what your guy's stats, ECs, etc were; and also any advice you have for a AZCOM hopeful? Thanks, and hope to join you all soon!

I am happy to see a sudden of rush of many of our current AZCOM students / student council members on the Student Doctor forums. :)

As for stats, don't worry about the stats, just do your best, the average for AZCOM MCAT was 26 for 2006, I think it was near 27 for last year. But this is simply put.. the average. They accept a wide spectrum of scores because the application process seems to be very holistic in nature. Just be yourself and good luck in your application.

As I have owned both Palm (Centro) and the iphone, I DEFINITELY recommend the iphone. The wi-fi itself is worth it. You will be much happier and the ease of use blows any Palm out of the water.

Good luck!

I am interested in greening AZCOM.

Could any current students (1) list any current ways that the campus/university is currently trying to be green, and (2) list any evident ways that we/university could make changes/improvements to create a greener school?

If you have a minute, check out Health Care Without Harm

I appreciate it!
Enjoy.

I'll take a minute to break from studying and give some very brief responses to some of the questions I've seen here.

Tech: AZCOM is not the most technologically advanced campus I've ever been to. Not that we're learning in caves here, but I'm coming from one of the top wired campuses in the states. Our notes are distributed in paper format (not very green, as someone had asked). Wireless access is not exactly limited, but they make sure we don't have it in lecture halls (though we have access in the library and the cafeteria). We are not really asked or expected to use any sort of technology beyond email. Lectures (NOT the powerpoint presentations) are posted online in PDF format.

Earth-savvy: AZCOM is not one of the most eco-friendly places I've been. Again, to be fair, neither is Glendale. There's no recycling programs in the area as far as I know (we have looked into it for the school). There are a few can recycling bins and a handful of office paper recycling boxes. That's about it.

iPhone users: This is a little issue I, as well as other iPhone users have here. You have pretty terrible reception with ATT on and around campus. Wifi is fine, but access to the cellular data network is VERY iffy depending on where you are. Strangely enough, as soon as you get a short ways away from campus, it's fine. Just a warning.

Oh, and a useful thing to know, for those of you coming here: the coffee shop across the street offers free coffee the first month of school. It's not the best, but it's free. :D

Back to studying. Any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Can anyone currently living in the San Lagos Apts across from the AZCOM campus please send me a PM. I am pretty sure I will be moving there in June and I am filling out the application now. I can put your name down as "refering me to San Lagos" and you'll "receive up to 200$" if I move in? I'd also like to talk to you about the apts. Just send me a message...
Enjoy.

I had a question about the studios. I read about the post one bedroom/one den, however just wondering how the studios are, and if anyone living their currently could comment on the space?

Does anybody have any pictures they are willing to share..or know of any links online? Thanks a bunch!

Hey! I have just submitted my housing application and I was wondering if another female was looking for a roomate. I wanted to get the luxury two bedroom houses if possible because the rent is only $515 and we get cable and internet with it! If you want to PM me then I can tell you more about myself!

thanks for the link; i'll be sure to look into that a little more.
so I was looking over the housing options and had a question:

Studio Apartments

* 613 sq. ft. (Buildings E & F)
Rate $615.00
* 613 sq. ft. (Buildings G & H)
with dishwasher & added upgrades
Rate $630.00
* 613 sq. ft. (Buildings I, J & K)
(Brand New Units--Available 7/30/09) with dishwasher and washer & dryer
Rate $650.00

what exactly are the "added upgrades" in the $630 price? are they talking about a washer/dryer in the unit along with the dishwasher? if so, is the only difference between the $630 and $650 units just that the $650 are brand new?

and my guess would be that the $615 unit has no dishwasher or washer/dryer in unit. is this correct?

Hey everyone! Just got accepted and am very excited to start this journey. Anyone else from Massachusetts?

I am also thinking about finding a roommate. Any spiritual, studious, holistic, non-drinking, non-druggie, intellectual, friendly vegans around here? Hah, maybe that's too much to ask for... it's not like I am seeking my soulmate here... though I thought I'd just throw that out in case someone happens to fit the bill. :) I am about 95% sure I'll be attending AZCOM (unless I get in to U of A), so I want to put myself out to find someone to potentially share a place with, except I am afraid of commitment... :oops:

Clarification: By 'roommate' I am not referring to someone sharing a room with me, I am referring to someone sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with our own rooms. I think the British term for that is 'flatmate', though I haven't heard that term used in the US.

Last edited:
Hey, guys. I just found out I got in! My girlfriend and I will be buying a house in town in the next couple of months. We are going to rent out one of the spare bedrooms to help with bills. I think it would be convenient if we rented to another first-year COM student. Just something to think about...

Congrats to all who have been accepted to AZCOM...I'm a 4th year AZCOM student who is getting ready to leave for residency back in California. I have a house in Peoria that I'd like to rent out to fellow students. It's 1800 sq ft, 3Br/2.5bath, 2 car garage, two stories, 15 min to campus. Close to Westgate and the Glendale Stadium. Email me if you are [email protected]

Also feel free to ask any questions you might have regarding AZCOM.

Again, congratulations on your acceptance. Enjoy your summer!!

-Kona

Hmm, I hope this thread picks up when people start nailing down if they're going to go. I'm not even sure myself (75%), so that's why I've been lurking.

Anyhow, anyone else put down that deposit for on campus housing? I have a potential roommate but he is currently waitlisted at the dental school so we'll have to see.

I'd also like to know if anyone is 99% sure they're going next year, but that might be too much to ask for at this point :oops:

100% sure I am going to AZCOM. I have paid the campus housing deposit, but I may be moving in earlier...so I have also paid a deposit to San Lagos apt across the street from campus.

100% sure I am going to AZCOM. I have paid the campus housing deposit, but I may be moving in earlier...so I have also paid a deposit to San Lagos apt across the street from campus.

Awesome, I hope others respond certainly too. I live at San Lagos right now actually, so yeah, you'll probably like here too, although I am kind of banking on an on campus assignment come March 15th.

Last edited:
I'm 100% sure on AZCOM!!

Signed up for housing on campus.

It's unfurnished for a 10month contract, so I guess I'll be buying inflatable furniture.

I'm actually looking forward to the heat

Last edited:
Hey I'm just a curious MS-IV. How many people in your class decelerated? I think we had about five in my class. Does AZCOM still charge you a full year of tuition for that extra year? What were your reasons for taking the extra year? One of my buddies got married and another got divorced so it seems that there are various reasons.

To any incoming MS-I's I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the school in general. I'll admit that I'm not sure about what the new rotation policy is though... For those of you thinking about internal medicine and its subspecialties, I'm currently interviewing for allopathic university programs so I can give you some insight. Good luck!

Sorry it took me so long to respond. It's been forever since I've been on here. I don't know how many people decelerated but it's at least four including me, my husband, a girl who had a baby first quarter and another who just had a baby. The last two though already knew they would be decelerating. My husband and I are both AZCOM students and we have two kids (almost 4 years and 2.5 years). When we first moved here I was sick a lot (I know have asthma and allergy problems) and the kids were getting sick all the time, especially our son. We did not anticipate all the illness and it was just too much for us to try to stick with the four year program. It's been great too because now I feel like I have more time with the kids and we will have an entire extra summer off to spend with them. Oh yeah and it is full tuition for that extra year.

Hey all,
One of my buddies had to decel, and this is what he told me. Azcom averages (and I think this is pretty similar to the national average also) roughly 10% per year for decel. This year I believe 22 (?) was the # that decelled after 1st quarter, but they usually also loose some after second quarter.

Hey all,

I just paid my deposit on Monday along with the on-campus housing deposit (new 2 bd/2 ba), so 99% attending (can never depend on WL movement)!

Just curious; how is everyone funding their medical education (100% student loans, parental help, private loans, etc.)?

Hey all,
One of my buddies had to decel, and this is what he told me. Azcom averages (and I think this is pretty similar to the national average also) roughly 10% per year for decel. This year I believe 22 (?) was the # that decelled after 1st quarter, but they usually also loose some after second quarter.

22? Seriously? I have absolutely no clue how many have decelerated. We did have a meeting thing for people who decelerated but I was sick and couldn't make it. I didn't realize it would be so many.

Hey all,

I just paid my deposit on Monday along with the on-campus housing deposit (new 2 bd/2 ba), so 99% attending (can never depend on WL movement)!

Just curious; how is everyone funding their medical education (100% student loans, parental help, private loans, etc.)?

I only have student loans. I do plan on winning the lottery though so that may change soon. :laugh:

Hello! I was accepted to AZCOM back in November and am so excited for school to start! Though I will admit, I am slightly torn between this and another school but I am very impressed with AZCOM so we'll see! Congrats to everyone!

Hi guys, just thought it would be helpful to post some housing info I found out today. This is what I was told....

I asked about the 10-month lease for AZCOM students. I was concerned that we might have to evacuate for the summer. But that is thankfully not the case. Also, if we get housing this year, then we also have preference to continue our lease the following year, and thus don't have to worry about moving the next year if we want to remain on campus. Housing will be assigned in the next few weeks for those who have submitted their housing deposits.

Uncovered parking is free. Covered parking is about $10 a month; however, it is unassigned covered parking, so if you have paid for that, then you just park in any covered space that is available.

The new gym on campus is open from 6am-midnight (I do not know if those are everyday hours or only weekdays). However, if someone still wants to work out outside of those hours, the clubhouse (for those living on campus) is open 24/7 and has cardio equipment like a treadmill and elliptical, and a strength trainer machine.

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing HPSP. We shall see.

Thanks rkaz! Much appreciated. I've been trying to contact housing services about this. Hopefully I get my first choiceeee!

I have withdrawn my acceptance from all schools except AZCOM and PCOM. I can't decide whether to attend PCOM or AZCOM...I know they are very different, but they are both GREAT schools.

Here is my problem: I think PCOMs curriculum is one of the best you could ask for. Their clinical rotations are set in one of the greatest medical cities in the US with a lot of medical history and medical hospitals and unique opportunity. But, the cost of living in Philly is outrageous. I am married and can't split the cost of living with someone else. We have a dog. Renters do not accomodate pet owners in Philly, and it seems unlikely that we could afford to buy a home in Philly. However, I am not sure what I think of AZCOM's quarter system for their curriculum and overall I think I would like PCOMs curriculum better. But, AZCOM is set in Glendale, AZ where the cost of living is wayyy cheaper than Philly and the people are friendly and I am from a neighboring state so the transition I imagine would be much easier to go to AZCOM. I feel like my pro and con lists for each school are even. The problem, the pros for PCOM are based only on the school and not the environment and personal reasons. The pros for AZCOM are mainly for personal reasons, environment, and location...

What is more important? Obviously you are paying a TON for this education so you'd think curriculum would take precidence. But, I think in order to be successful you should be happy in your environment and I envision myself happier in Glendale than in Philly. I think AZCOM is still a great school; there really isn't such a thing as a "terrible" med school. I think you make of it what you want and you determine your success. I keep wavering...and I need to make a decision SOON, before more $$ is due!

How did you guys decide which school to go to if you had choices? These are the 2 schools that felt like they would be a good fit for me. But for such different reasons and I am not sure what should take precidence: personal reasons or curriculum/educational reasons?

Thanks for any input!:oops:

I have withdrawn my acceptance from all schools except AZCOM and PCOM. I can't decide whether to attend PCOM or AZCOM...I know they are very different, but they are both GREAT schools.

I attend AZCOM and it's a good school, but honestly I think PCOM is the better of the two. If I had gotten an acceptance there I might have gone there instead. Of course, I was living on the East Coast and my wife wanted to stay in the east. PCOM is older, well established, has pretty stiff entrance standards, four seasons. AZCOM is laid back, gorgeous campus, wide open skies and mountains in the background, and crazy warm weather all year.

PCOM is about $5K cheaper. Not a big difference from year to year, but it adds up to $20K difference over 4 years, and with interest that might be significant to you. Cost of living is lower in Arizona, but it might just balance out with the tuition difference. Housing is cheaper all over the country so it's possible you can find more affordable housing in Philly than a couple of years ago. Housing in Phoenix and Glendale has fallen through the basement, so you can definitely get some great deals. Look into buying a modest house for $160K or so, and your mortgage payment may be lower than renting, and plus you'll probably come out ahead financially if and when you move upon graduation.

It's great to have such a tough choice! Best of luck and let us know what you decide.