AZCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We're only asking for $600/month + Utilities. It's a 2 bedroom apartment right across the street from campus. My roomate and I will be gone for the summer June-August. Great temporary housing if you're trying to find a house, or if you want to live cheap without a contract (we're actually taking a loss to sublet our place). Contact me for more details!

Members don't see this ad.

BCBS (Blue Cross Blue Shield) looks pretty good, they have a ton of plans, with monthly fees ranging from $220-$60.

If someone with more knowledge of Insurance is willing to do the leg work on whether or not the lower $ plans qualify for the bare minimum let me know.

https://azblue.insurix.com/WebBcbsazMember/Page/Individual.aspx

Link didn't work but not sure if you meant 220-260 but that'd be more than what we're paying for the schools plan I believe. The school's plan is 2200 or something is it not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Blue Cross Blue Shield in AZ has plans that start at around $240 per month with like a $500 Deductible just like our school plan, but they also have similar plans that go as low as $140, $100, $60 per month.

But like I said I just dont know if the lower $ plans would qualify for the "bare minimums" that AZCOM requires.

I spoke to Cathy at student services and asked her about the student insurance requirements, it sounds like the most important things are the following:

Must have nationwide coverage
Must cover both inpatient and outpatient procedures
Must have prescription drug coverage

The deductible doesn't matter (I asked specifically about $2500, and $5000; she said they were both fine)

Also the cost of having your titers drawn through midwestern is $235 for all your titers.

Hope that helps

I just spoke to Cathy again, even a $10,000 deductible is okay as long as you can still see a doctor if you need to.

It sounds like the definition of catastrophic coverage is that you can only see a doctor if you're in an accident or have some other major incident. Having only catastrophic coverage isn't allowed.

Hi guys! just needed some comforting and maybe some advice...i absolutely loved AZCOM when I applied there to pharmacy school about 3 years ago...i since then have gone to pharmacy school somewhere else and am in my second year. turns out pharmacy school is not for me. i desperately need more patient contact, etc. going into pharm school with a 3.8 (2 years undergrad) my pharmacy gpa is something along the lines of 3.0 (yikes!) ...it would be silly of me to quit now, 2 years more to get a BS degree or 2 years more and get my pharmD so i have something to fall back on..pharmD it is :/ however, I hope to apply to medical school here at AZCOM next year to get in the next fall after i've graduating...so all I have going for me is a pretty decent mcat score, pharmD, and about a 3.0 (hopefully maybe a little higher when i'm done, but ehh maybe not) ...are any of you getting in with similar stats, like close to a 3.0ish..maybe lower? if so could you please PM me, i would love to have a little comfort and maybe some advice on how you pulled off getting in with a lowerish gpa..thanks!

Does anyone know when the list of required texts will be released? I've looked at the bookstore online but they don't have Fall 2011 available yet. I know I'm early, but I just kinda want to get an idea on expenses.

Hi guys! just needed some comforting and maybe some advice...i absolutely loved AZCOM when I applied there to pharmacy school about 3 years ago...i since then have gone to pharmacy school somewhere else and am in my second year. turns out pharmacy school is not for me. i desperately need more patient contact, etc. going into pharm school with a 3.8 (2 years undergrad) my pharmacy gpa is something along the lines of 3.0 (yikes!) ...it would be silly of me to quit now, 2 years more to get a BS degree or 2 years more and get my pharmD so i have something to fall back on..pharmD it is :/ however, I hope to apply to medical school here at AZCOM next year to get in the next fall after i've graduating...so all I have going for me is a pretty decent mcat score, pharmD, and about a 3.0 (hopefully maybe a little higher when i'm done, but ehh maybe not) ...are any of you getting in with similar stats, like close to a 3.0ish..maybe lower? if so could you please PM me, i would love to have a little comfort and maybe some advice on how you pulled off getting in with a lowerish gpa..thanks!

Is your overall a 3.0? Or just your pharmD? If they average out to something higher, that would be great.

Personally, I don't feel that a 3.0 is a death sentence. I think I got in with a 3.3. If you have a decent MCAT score to compensate, then you'll be okay. But I wouldn't be any lower that a 26, and even that would be cutting it close.

I think beyond stats, the things you have control over are your experience and uniqueness. Having a pharmacy background is going to be a huge boost, and it would give you an advantage over your classmates. Add in a little bit of service, some shadowing/clinical experience, and I think you've got a decent chance at getting in. Just make sure you play up your extensive knowledge of pharmacology.

Hey I'm planning on getting a two bedroom apartment at San Lagos, which is right across the street from campus. I am looking for roomates. I'm male but I don't mind having female roommates. The only thing that I would like from you is that you be clean and a non-drinker (but if you're dirty and a drinker its ok too) :). Please send me a message at [email protected]. If you want your own room or would like a roomate (for lower rent) let me know. It should be like $500 for you're own room or 250ish for a shared room.

Thanks
Farzad Alikoza
AZCOM class of 2015

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if there's a list somewhere with all of the equipment requirements? I guess I'm mostly wondering about computer specifications, but also all of the examination equipment as well (stethoscope, otoscope, etc...)

I can't believe tuition is over $50k at AZCOM. We'll be the poorest doctors ever. I hope it'll all be worth it.

for those of you who are doing your rotation in the West valley, I have a house in Avondale right off the 10 and 101. 4 bed 2 baths. Great place, $950/mo. Houses near school are $1150 and up. Most student move in the 3rd year closer to where they're doing rotations so this saves a moving day. The downside is its 20 min from campus not too big a deal though since you're on campus for a block of time. Not a lot of back an forth. Anyway, the house has easy access to the west valley hospitals. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Anyone know if there's a list somewhere with all of the equipment requirements? I guess I'm mostly wondering about computer specifications, but also all of the examination equipment as well (stethoscope, otoscope, etc...)

I can't believe tuition is over $50k at AZCOM. We'll be the poorest doctors ever. I hope it'll all be worth it.

Yeah, if tuition is $50K right now, we can probably expect to be paying around $60K by the time we graduate. We better really like medicine...

In terms of computer specifications, I think just about anything you buy now can handle the tasks that the school would ask you to perform. I would probably pass up netbooks, but any $400+ laptop or mac should be more than sufficient. For stethoscope it sounds like the Littmann Cardiology III is the way to go.

For equipment, wait. The school has always done like a catalog thing where they bring in someone from Welch Allyn and the school gets a discount on that stuff. They'll try and get you to buy a stethoscope (Littman cardio III is what to get), an otoscope/opthalmoscope in addition to a panoptic opthalmoscope which is better but more money and you won't use it. The only time you'll need your own otoscope/opthalmoscope is in 1 class because where you practice physical exams. All the patient encounter stuff has those items in the rooms and you can't use them on step II physical. So I would recommend against the otoscope/opthalmoscope or buy a super cheap one online, just make sure you're partner has one. As for a computer, anything will do. The school is anti-tech so there isn't any computer use in the class. I rarely ever used my own PC for school use so a laptop is definitely not required.

As for a computer, anything will do. The school is anti-tech so there isn't any computer use in the class. I rarely ever used my own PC for school use so a laptop is definitely not required.

Thanks for the info. So are AZCOM students not allowed to bring laptops to class or they just discourage it? I just bought a new laptop for the purpose of taking notes in class =(

you can use a laptop as much as you want. As far as notes are concerned, you'll almost always have a handout of either the power point presentation itself or a notes style handout with all the info and space to write on that. I used my laptop mainly in year 2 for board study COMLEX questions. As far as I know, there is still a lack of internet in the class room, and only a few outlets that reach seats.

you can use a laptop as much as you want. As far as notes are concerned, you'll almost always have a handout of either the power point presentation itself or a notes style handout with all the info and space to write on that. I used my laptop mainly in year 2 for board study COMLEX questions. As far as I know, there is still a lack of internet in the class room, and only a few outlets that reach seats.

There is actually internet in all of the buildings on campus now, including the auditoriums. A few of the classes, including Anatomy/Histology/Immunology, are going paper free, so all the notes will be online. I would advise, and most people do, having a laptop of some kind to take to class for that very reason. The school is very slowly but surely becoming more "tech" friendly.

There is actually internet in all of the buildings on campus now, including the auditoriums. A few of the classes, including Anatomy/Histology/Immunology, are going paper free, so all the notes will be online. I would advise, and most people do, having a laptop of some kind to take to class for that very reason. The school is very slowly but surely becoming more "tech" friendly.

looks like after years of med student complaints they finally broke down and got us the internet. When I was a first year the student body pres. asked about internet in the classrooms. They said it would be easy and very cheap to do. Then they said that they don't want it in the class because they were concerned that we'd spend the time "IM-ing" each other instead of listening. Glad to see them pull their heads out the butts.

It's true that we have "internet" in the classroom now, but quite frankly, most of the time you might as well not have any internet. It's slow (I've recently used dial-up that runs faster than it most days) and it disconnects frequently.

Equipment: Don't worry about it right now. Your clinical skills prof will give you a list of what you need a couple of months before you'll need it and he'll be more than happy to offer suggestions about brands/options if you need them.

Books: I remember the bookstore list being updated by about mid-July last year, I won't be surprised if that's the case this year. Once my classmates and I have started to recover from the past eight months, some of us will likely put together a few lists of our suggestions. Trust me, we want to help y'all save money and get as much bang for your buck when it comes to books because you don't need to be spending $2000 on books, ever.

If you just got off the waitlist and need a place to stay for a month or two contact me, I have an apartment across the street from campus till July 30th and willing to sublet for cheap!

It's true that we have "internet" in the classroom now, but quite frankly, most of the time you might as well not have any internet. It's slow (I've recently used dial-up that runs faster than it most days) and it disconnects frequently.

Equipment: Don't worry about it right now. Your clinical skills prof will give you a list of what you need a couple of months before you'll need it and he'll be more than happy to offer suggestions about brands/options if you need them.

Books: I remember the bookstore list being updated by about mid-July last year, I won't be surprised if that's the case this year. Once my classmates and I have started to recover from the past eight months, some of us will likely put together a few lists of our suggestions. Trust me, we want to help y'all save money and get as much bang for your buck when it comes to books because you don't need to be spending $2000 on books, ever.

It's good to have you back Random! Hope the exams didn't kill ya. Thanks for the advice!

thanks for the advice random.

anyone know how the quality of the internet for on campus housing is?

More-or-less the same story. Starting out this school year, the internet worked great 24/7. By about mid-winter quarter, the internet in the on-campus housing started to suck too. It always works but many days it is offensively slow (not nearly as bad as the general on-campus internet as you can do basic browsing without much trouble but if you're trying to stream a video or download a lecture, it can take awhile) until about 2:00AM-7:00AM when it works well again. A friend that also lives on campus has tried to look into why this started happening (we're fairly certain they just started to throttle the connection because during orientation an IT rep told us it was always an option the school had but wasn't using at that point in time) and they have never received any answer other than "I don't know, I'll forward it to somebody else who might."

(I posted this on your facebook group, but figured I would also post it here)

Hey 2015ers,

If anyone is looking for an apartment at San Lagos, my fiance and I are looking to have someone take over our lease. This means NO DEPOSIT! You would take over the lease directly from us.

The apartment boasts a lake view with tile, carpet, and wooded floors. Granite counter tops in the kitchen. Separate dining area. Washer and Dryer included. 2 painted walls in the living room and master bedroom! To see pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61765439@N04/ pictures of bedrooms and master bath will be posted soon!

The property itself is BEAUTIFUL with tons of amenities: a huge pool, cabana bars, 24hr fitness center w/ sauna! For more info. on the property and its amenities see website http://www.mark-taylor.com/arizona/san-lagos/

We are moving at the end of June and need someone to take over our lease starting July 1... no deposit!

You must come see it! Please reply if you're interested! [email protected]

W. Behrend Dr. at 59th Avenue

Congrats to you guys, the journey is about to begin!

Just wanted to say congrats to all of you incoming med students!!! If you will be moving down to AZ this week I will have furniture for sale PM me and I can send you the details I have a dresser and a queen sized futon.

I'm either out of the loop, haven't read enough posts, and/or plain just don't know. But does any of you have the classes that we're taking first trimester?

Tallion,
I'm getting the iPad 2 tonight so maybe we can exchange some app ideas pertaining to school.

I'm either out of the loop, haven't read enough posts, and/or plain just don't know. But does any of you have the classes that we're taking first trimester?

Tallion,
I'm getting the iPad 2 tonight so maybe we can exchange some app ideas pertaining to school.

MWU's website blows when it comes to navigation (pretty sure the navigation design is made by the same people who write those poorly-translated instructions for cheap Chinese products), so here are the links you'll be wanting...

Course list for 2015:
http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/Registrar/Curriculums/AZCOM%20%2011%20class%20of%202015.pdf

Course descriptions, AZCOM policies, etc:
http://www.midwestern.edu/glendale_az_campus/catalog.html

MWU's website blows when it comes to navigation (pretty sure the navigation design is made by the same people who write those poorly-translated instructions for cheap Chinese products), so here are the links you'll be wanting...

Course list for 2015:
http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/Registrar/Curriculums/AZCOM 11 class of 2015.pdf

Course descriptions, AZCOM policies, etc:
http://www.midwestern.edu/glendale_az_campus/catalog.html

Thanks random I appreciate the links!

Hello incoming students! I'm a fourth year med student who has one room in his house available for next year. Ill be gone half the year and I already have one of your classmates taking one of the rooms. So if your still looking for a place let me know!!

One Rooms for Rent! $500 each per month
•4 BR house on a lake located ½ mile north of Midwestern campus, next to park
•Utilities split equally including electric, water, gas, HD cable, and wireless internet – averages $80 per month
•Fully furnished house and kitchen including 46” HDTV flat screen TV, BluRay player, Foosball table, dishwasher, and washer/dryer
•House is walking distance to coffee shops and campus
•Other roommates include male 4th year medical student (the home owner), female 3rd year medical student, female 1st year medical student
•Shared bathroom
•Rooms available starting July 2011
•Call or email for more details

House address: 20710 N. 59th Drive, Glendale AZ 85308

Adam
(949) 378-4094

I've been doing a bit of looking and have found a few apps that seem like they'd be really helpful but I contacted Stanford U's medical program and asked what they recommend to their medical students now that they are giving each incoming MSI a new ipad. Here is the link they responded with in case anyone is interested.

http;//med.stanford.edu/medapps

There are a few tabs so check em out if you'd like.

Silly question. What are we supposed to wear to orientation? Can we wear shorts and sandals or do we need to look somewhat nice or have closed toe shoes or anything? :)

Silly question. What are we supposed to wear to orientation? Can we wear shorts and sandals or do we need to look somewhat nice or have closed toe shoes or anything? :)

Whatever you want. The first day you'll take the photo for your ID so they suggest dressing a bit nicer for that, but that's not even all that suggestible since only the top part of your shoulders, neck, and face actually show on it.

I was looking at the 2011-12 academic calendar online and there are dates to drop or add classes for MSI studends. That confuses me...

Do we have the option of taking less or more classes? Not that I would want to change things but its good to know all the options available.

Anybody know?

I was looking at the 2011-12 academic calendar online and there are dates to drop or add classes for MSI studends. That confuses me...

Do we have the option of taking less or more classes? Not that I would want to change things but its good to know all the options available.

Anybody know?

If you're having to drop classes that aren't an elective (which you can't take until spring quarter of MS1) it's a bad, bad thing; I'm not even sure they'd let anybody do it without a very, very compelling reason.

Just got off the waitlist and planning my move from the East to the West. :)

I'm scanning through threads and want your opinions!

1) Rent? Buy? Rent to Own?
2) Are there any pests to worry about? (Philly has got roaches and mice!)
3) I hear there is a high rate of car theft in AZ. How do you plan on keeping your car safe?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Just got off the waitlist and planning my move from the East to the West. :)

I'm scanning through threads and want your opinions!

1) Rent? Buy? Rent to Own?
2) Are there any pests to worry about? (Philly has got roaches and mice!)
3) I hear there is a high rate of car theft in AZ. How do you plan on keeping your car safe?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rent. If you buy you're up a creek without a paddle if you do rotations outside of the valley and/or if you try to sell after you graduate, who knows what kind of a hit you'll take if the housing market hasn't recovered by then (either that or you'll have the hassle of owning a rental property).

Mostly just crickets and the rudest old people you'll ever encounter.

Arizona makes buying guns pretty easy...if that's not your thing, just be smart about your car and where you live. Don't move to a dump (maybe find a place that's gated with 24/7 security), keep valuables out of sight if you have to leave them in your car, and you can always get a steering wheel lock and/or car alarm if you're still concerned about it.

Oh, and congrats on the acceptance!

I'd like to do a bit of forewarning to those who might be moving to Building's K and L next year about the bugs. 1st floor seems to get it the worst, with my room having its cricket every now and then. The incessant chirping until you find it can ruin a night of sleep so plug all of the holes you can see and spray the place down yourself.

I've heard reports from my neighbors of scorpions and spiders, but more spiders than not. Beyond this, there's not much to worry about.

I'd like to do a bit of forewarning to those who might be moving to Building's K and L next year about the bugs. 1st floor seems to get it the worst, with my room having its cricket every now and then. The incessant chirping until you find it can ruin a night of sleep so plug all of the holes you can see and spray the place down yourself.

I've heard reports from my neighbors of scorpions and spiders, but more spiders than not. Beyond this, there's not much to worry about.

Lucky me, switching over to K and all. :rolleyes:

Lucky me, switching over to K and all. :rolleyes:

Haha, it's not that bad. Every floor will have to deal with it, since spiders appear to be 2nd and 3rd floor, while crickets and scorpions are a 1st floor thing. Once I plugged all my holes and told Jose about it, it wasn't a problem.

Still, I can't forget the time a cricket fell on my head from an AC vent in my bathroom and I instinctively smashed it. Although with short hair and a quick rinse, I was off to class later that morning :laugh:

Haha, it's not that bad. Every floor will have to deal with it, since spiders appear to be 2nd and 3rd floor, while crickets and scorpions are a 1st floor thing. Once I plugged all my holes and told Jose about it, it wasn't a problem.

Still, I can't forget the time a cricket fell on my head from an AC vent in my bathroom and I instinctively smashed it. Although with short hair and a quick rinse, I was off to class later that morning :laugh:

I'm in G right now and somehow escaped the bulk of the bug problem this year, though, there was one night when I found myself taking the main air vent off the wall to kill a cricket. :) Who knows, maybe they're keeping up with the spraying throughout the year now and it will be a non-issue.

I know there have been posts in the other pre-medical forum for AZCOM but does anybody know what phys book they lecture from?

Thanks for the feedback.

Common sense and a whole new landscape.

I'm looking at on-campus housing, think they'll let me keep a snake? :D

It seems in certain parts, the noise level at on-campus housing is minimal except for the crickets. Is that the case?

Is it extremely hot on the second and third floors? I'm thinking about electricity rates.

And I know ya'll aren't residential life... I left the person a message, are there studios with wooden floors and washer/dryer? Can anyone recommend a particular building, if I get an option?

I know there have been posts in the other pre-medical forum for AZCOM but does anybody know what phys book they lecture from?

This is the book they lecture from:
http://www.amazon.com/Physiology-ST...2165/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308083263&sr=8-1

I personally would not recommend it and get Costanzo's BRS book instead and study that in addition to the notes. The BRS book will help when boards time comes around too.

Thanks for the feedback.

It seems in certain parts, the noise level at on-campus housing is minimal except for the crickets. Is that the case?

Is it extremely hot on the second and third floors? I'm thinking about electricity rates.

And I know ya'll aren't residential life... I left the person a message, are there studios with wooden floors and washer/dryer? Can anyone recommend a particular building, if I get an option?

I doubt they'll let you keep a snake and they seem to not allow any pets, but people break this rule all the time with dogs and cats. If you want to play that game, I guess you could do it.

The noise is pretty minimal for the buildings I lived in (B 1st year, K 2nd year). Don't worry about this.

I only lived on the 1st floors so I wouldn't know. I'm betting it can get hot though.

I lived in a studio with wood floors in the kitchen area and bathroom and I had a washer/dryer unit in mine. I don't know the terminology for what my studio was called, but I think only buildings K and L have these, since they're newer.

Thanks for the feedback.

Technically you're only allowed fish in an aquarium <15 gallons I believe. Will anybody notice you have a snake in an aquarium instead? Doubtful.

For the most part, housing hasn't been too noisy. They do "blow leaves" near my building around the same time every week and I happened to have a neighbor with small children that had play-dates with other small children, and this led to some interrupted naps, but most days, it wasn't too bad. The only real complaint I have is that I can hear my upstairs neighbors quite well anytime they move and during finals week, the school decided to replace the carpet and take out major appliances in that unit.

As Flushot mentioned, there are studios like that (the "luxury" floor-plan) but I highly, highly, highly, highly doubt any are available at this point, but you can always check and see. I also doubt you'll really have much of a choice in building because at this point it's all very floor-plan and availability dependent.

Alright thanks for the feedback.

I was totally joking about having the snake. Probably not the best idea since I'm a noob... unless I'm looking for enemies :p

How often do they redo the carpet? And why did you decide to live on campus for more than a year?

Alright thanks for the feedback.

I was totally joking about having the snake. Probably not the best idea since I'm a noob... unless I'm looking for enemies :p

How often do they redo the carpet? And why did you decide to live on campus for more than a year?

Not a clue how often they redo the carpet. I think it's more of an "Oh my, this carpet looks like an octopus and OJ Simpson got into a fight in a puddle of paint" situation when they decide to replace the carpet, but that's just my own speculation. I'm sure if they pop on again and see this, Flushot will answer; for me, living on-campus has been really convenient (for me, this mostly translates into it's easy to go home for naps and food), the rent is cheap, your only utility bill is the electricity (basic cable, internet, water, and trash are all included), the apartments aren't super-nice but they're also not rat holes, maintenance is always quick if something needs fixed, you have 24/7 quiet hours during finals week, etc.

Anyone know what happens if you back out of the on-campus housing once you are assigned?

I am trying to find the contract but since I am already assigned I cant access it on the portal, I think you forfeit the $500 deposit, but is there any other penalties?