ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolaterie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the 08/09 cycle comes to a close, another beginning starts. I just finished my secondary and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an interview. Anyone else as excited as I am?:)

Members don't see this ad.

As the 08/09 cycle comes to a close, another beginning starts. I just finished my secondary and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an interview. Anyone else as excited as I am?:)

Indeed, I finished and submitted my secondary yesterday. Now I get to play the waiting game while my pre-health adviser uploads my LOR's and committee letter.

Just received the secondary invite via email. Will fill it out this weekend (after my 7/2 MCAT) then play the waiting game along with ya, getting those LORs and waiting for my MCAT score. Almost time to cross fingers for an interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: already? I wonder if they've even finished the last batch. Good luck!

:eek: already? I wonder if they've even finished the last batch. Good luck!
:laugh: I joined last year and it's pretty surprising to see how quickly time passes. It's my first choice school, so I'll definitely need some luck! :luck:

On a side note, does anyone know when they start notifying applicants of interviews? I'm guessing late August?

It's my first choice school, so I'll definitely need some luck! :luck:

Me too!! I hoping for a quick verification, so I can knock down the secondaries quickly. How do they look, from the people who have gotten them already?!:cool:

:laugh: I joined last year and it's pretty surprising to see how quickly time passes. It's my first choice school, so I'll definitely need some luck! :luck:

On a side note, does anyone know when they start notifying applicants of interviews? I'm guessing late August?

Awesome! I have been waiting for this thread to get started - I'm starting at SOMA in about 3 weeks now! I am very, very excited. We move down in 10 days!

I had my secondary in by about the middle of August last year and was offered an interview spot in September. I didn't end up going until October 20, to coordinate with AZCOM's interview. (SOMA blows AZCOM out of the water, IMHO, haha)

Let me know if you have any questions - I'll answer them if I can. And I'm sure that if you're posting this early on here, you've already seen the 2008-2009 thread, but there is a lot of good info on the school, curriculum, etc.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=525718

How does the secondary look? What kinds of questions do they ask? I've a year before I apply for med school, but I love the whole philosophy behind ATSU/SOMA and would love to get an idea of the secondary.

Thanks in advance!

Me too!! I hoping for a quick verification, so I can knock down the secondaries quickly. How do they look, from the people who have gotten them already?!:cool:

This is the first secondary I've completed and I think it wasn't bad. They had three essay questions. You can get a head start on them:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7121833&postcount=528

Awesome! I have been waiting for this thread to get started - I'm starting at SOMA in about 3 weeks now! I am very, very excited. We move down in 10 days!

I had my secondary in by about the middle of August last year and was offered an interview spot in September. I didn't end up going until October 20, to coordinate with AZCOM's interview. (SOMA blows AZCOM out of the water, IMHO, haha)

Let me know if you have any questions - I'll answer them if I can. And I'm sure that if you're posting this early on here, you've already seen the 2008-2009 thread, but there is a lot of good info on the school, curriculum, etc.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=525718

Bruce you are awesome!:) I hope my future classmates are as helpful!

How does the secondary look? What kinds of questions do they ask? I've a year before I apply for med school, but I love the whole philosophy behind ATSU/SOMA and would love to get an idea of the secondary.

Thanks in advance!

If I don't get in for 2010, I'll be applying again...
The philosophy is also what attracts me to this school. There isn't anything like it.

This is the first secondary I've completed and I think it wasn't bad. They had three essay questions. You can get a head start on them:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7121833&postcount=528

If I don't get in for 2010, I'll be applying again...
The philosophy is also what attracts me to this school. There isn't anything like it.

First, thank you for providing the thread for the essay questions! Appreciate it greatly!

Second, even though the first year is pretty intense since a lot of the basic sciences will be squeezed in, I love the idea of being in the same location (CHC) for the remainder of the medical school program. I've been doing some research myself on the Brooklyn CHC, and I would love to be assigned there if I get in. Although I grew up on Long Island, I was born in Brooklyn, and it is my eventual goal to get back up to NY somehow.

Do they ask for your LORs with these secondaries? If so, any specifics?! IE - DO required, Committee Letter, etc.?!

I just got confirmation that they received my secondary. Does anyone know do they start processing your secondary even if all of your letters aren't in yet? I'm still waiting on my committee letter and it's killing me! I'm afraid I'm falling behind b/c the committee letter isn't ready yet.... YIKES!

Any student who have been accepted in previous years when did you get all of your application information in, and when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got confirmation that they received my secondary. Does anyone know do they start processing your secondary even if all of your letters aren't in yet? I'm still waiting on my committee letter and it's killing me! I'm afraid I'm falling behind b/c the committee letter isn't ready yet.... YIKES!

Any student who have been accepted in previous years when did you get all of your application information in, and when did you interview?

I hear you...After numerous handouts and meetings with my school's pre-health adviser advocating "early, early, early..," I find it ironic that almost half of my secondaries have been submitted and now I am the one waiting on her (all of my LOR's were complete in early May).

Oh well, here is to patience...

I received an email with a number code to use with my secondary app about a week after submitting the secondary. For the lors, it says "not received" or something like that. They don't interview until the fall so I think (and hope) we'll all be okay. :luck: This process is stressful.

I received an email with a number code to use with my secondary app about a week after submitting the secondary. For the lors, it says "not received" or something like that. They don't interview until the fall so I think (and hope) we'll all be okay. :luck: This process is stressful.

I'm ready to join the fray!!! Hopefully, this will not be a long drawn out process, but if it is - I'm in it for the long haul!

Just finished my MCAT and waiting on secondaries. This is definitely my school of choice! Sounds like a bunch of you have already submitted those and the 2013 class has not even started yet!!! I gotta get movin' but like it was mentioned, interviews don't start for a few more months - Sept/Oct, I think.

Brucecanbeatyou - I love Bruce Lee. I often refer to him as my "Uncle Bruce" as our ancestors come from the same village! It's been great reading your posts for the past year - very informative. Good luck this upcoming year!

Chocolaterie - where are you from AZ or Canada? I'm originally from Alberta, but make AZ home now. Best of luck to you as well!

If anyone needs to know of places to stay or areas to live around the school - let me know. I live nearby.

This is sooo exciting, but very nerve-wracking at the same time.

Best of luck to everyone!!!

I'm ready to join the fray!!! Hopefully, this will not be a long drawn out process, but if it is - I'm in it for the long haul!

Brucecanbeatyou - I love Bruce Lee. I often refer to him as my "Uncle Bruce" as our ancestors come from the same village! It's been great reading your posts for the past year - very informative. Good luck this upcoming year!

Thank you very much - I'm glad you feel that my posts were valuable! Thanks for the well wishes - Lookin' at your MD apps, I saw that you are a PA - what made you want to become a doc? Very interesting! Best of luck.

I hear you...After numerous handouts and meetings with my school's pre-health adviser advocating "early, early, early..," I find it ironic that almost half of my secondaries have been submitted and now I am the one waiting on her (all of my LOR's were complete in early May).

Oh well, here is to patience...

Oh the agony of waiting... hang in there!

Just finished my MCAT and waiting on secondaries. This is definitely my school of choice! Sounds like a bunch of you have already submitted those and the 2013 class has not even started yet!!! I gotta get movin' but like it was mentioned, interviews don't start for a few more months - Sept/Oct, I think.

Chocolaterie - where are you from AZ or Canada? I'm originally from Alberta, but make AZ home now. Best of luck to you as well!

I was born in BC but grew up in Toronto. It's awesome to have a fellow Canadian in this process.

Thank you very much - I'm glad you feel that my posts were valuable! Thanks for the well wishes - Lookin' at your MD apps, I saw that you are a PA - what made you want to become a doc? Very interesting! Best of luck.

I love being a PA. I've had some amazing experiences (ie: pt with a lacerated liver last week, unknown etiology...really cool). In a nutshell - there is just more that I would like to accomplish/learn and OMM is a huge part of it. There is a "glass-ceiling" of sorts for PAs and while I think they are heroes of medicine and work great in the PA-Physician relationship, without getting too verbose, there is just more that I can/want to do as a DO.

Having experienced ATSU PA program in the past - I can speak to the quality of the school, administrators, and professors. I'm really excited for this "new" curriculum and at the prospect of becoming an alumni of their DO program - hopefully for 2014!!!

True Blue -- Thanks for the insights on being a PA... this will be my last year to apply to medical school, so I'm highly considering the PA route. Is it true that it is harder to get into PA school than to get into medical school? I don't know if I can handle another grueling application process!

I just realized today that I'm almost done with all of my secondaries! I'm excited to be done with the endless repetition of stats and essay questions, but I'm so nervous to be done. Once I've filled out the secondaries all I can do is wait, wait, wait....

Anyone know when we can expect to receive interview invites? I've never gotten done this early in the process.

True Blue -- Thanks for the insights on being a PA... this will be my last year to apply to medical school, so I'm highly considering the PA route. Is it true that it is harder to get into PA school than to get into medical school? I don't know if I can handle another grueling application process!

I'm sure you'll get in to med school. If you're remotely considering PA - make sure you do your homework on why you would go the PA route vs the MD/DO route. As far as is it harder to get into PA school? I wouldn't necessarily say harder, but it is competitive. IMO there are just less hoops to jump through. If I can help you further or give you more info - feel free to PM me. Good luck with your decision! You'll be fine either way. :)

List verifiable clinic/health related experience for which you were FINANCIALLY compensated.

I am wondering what they mean by this? Do they mean activities we paid for, or were paid for, or something else?

List verifiable clinic/health related experience for which you were FINANCIALLY compensated.

I am wondering what they mean by this? Do they mean activities we paid for, or were paid for, or something else?

I interpreted ATSU's statement in its literal presentation to simply mean a healthcare related job--even if it was a one time deal. In my case, I listed working as a full-time medication manager at a local assisted living residence. This could even be a physician paying you $100 over two days to help his or her office catch-up on medical records.

Does anyone know if there will be any open houses or anything like that the rest of the summer? I couldn't find any info on their website

I wonder what they mean by only listing activities that are able to be verified. On my primary AACOMAS, I have listed every activity I have been involved in. Several of them are very strong, such as being the president or founder of a health fair. Considering I am the leader of this, I do not know whose reference phone number to give for such a thing. Does anybody know how strict they are in actually verifying?

I wonder what they mean by only listing activities that are able to be verified. On my primary AACOMAS, I have listed every activity I have been involved in. Several of them are very strong, such as being the president or founder of a health fair. Considering I am the leader of this, I do not know whose reference phone number to give for such a thing. Does anybody know how strict they are in actually verifying?

What exactly are they asking for?! Names and numbers and stuff?

Does anyone know if there will be any open houses or anything like that the rest of the summer? I couldn't find any info on their website

I haven't heard of one, but you can always schedule a tour.

When you say health fair, I'm guessing there was someone who you rented the area from? I believe they just want to be able to verify that the activity was legitimate.

Yes.. both.

Yeah, SOMA is the ONLY school I applied to that asks this. Man, I had to pull out some old names and numbers from people that I doubt are even still around at some of the places I volunteered at. I didn't know them all that well so it isnt like I kept in touch. Hope that doesn't hurt me if they actually try to verify some of my stuff and find the numbers/people are not relevant anymore.

I would have to say SOMA asked for more information of this type than ANY other school. Maybe they had a problem in the past with something???

Yeah, SOMA is the ONLY school I applied to that asks this. Man, I had to pull out some old names and numbers from people that I doubt are even still around at some of the places I volunteered at. I didn't know them all that well so it isnt like I kept in touch. Hope that doesn't hurt me if they actually try to verify some of my stuff and find the numbers/people are not relevant anymore.

I would have to say SOMA asked for more information of this type than ANY other school. Maybe they had a problem in the past with something???

That's my qualm. Some of my stuff are from like 4 years ago, one being in a foreign country. I can imagine some adcom calling up the ambulance service I worked on in Italy. Can you say language barrier?! :laugh:

That's my qualm. Some of my stuff are from like 4 years ago, one being in a foreign country. I can imagine some adcom calling up the ambulance service I worked on in Italy. Can you say language barrier?! :laugh:

Same problem here, although not with language. I have stuff from like 5 years ago and they are rather significant activities as well. Hate for them to think I was lying if I get that far in the app. process. I am sure there are many in th same situation.

I have to say that SOMA asked for a lot of weird inof, while KCOM was a perfectly standard type of secondary.

On the section about activities involving a CHC, it states that they must receive a letter from the CHC. Does anyone know what they want in the letter...just a confirmatory statement of my involvement?? Who does it need to be from...the physicians I shadowed, the CEO, the nurse manager?? I have an LOR from one of the physicians, but he didn't write it on CHC letter head. Argh!
Also, is this the same letter that they need to consider me a hometown applicant, or do I need to send 2 letters for this?

On the section about activities involving a CHC, it states that they must receive a letter from the CHC. Does anyone know what they want in the letter...just a confirmatory statement of my involvement?? Who does it need to be from...the physicians I shadowed, the CEO, the nurse manager?? I have an LOR from one of the physicians, but he didn't write it on CHC letter head. Argh!
Also, is this the same letter that they need to consider me a hometown applicant, or do I need to send 2 letters for this?

I would guess that you could fulfill both (CHC and hometown) with the same letter, if they can be signed off by the same person. Be sure to let the writer know of this as well, so they can mention both. If the letter is not on CHC letterhead just call admissions and give them a heads up, I'm sure they'll understand.

Does anyone know when they start to look at the secondaries? It seems kcom and soma have different time lines:confused:

Nevermind...

Last edited:

My problem was that I couldn't remember who was actually in charge when I was there, so I put who is in charge of that department or clinic now... I too am hoping it won't hurt me, but my guess is they will be able to look at the dates and understand that there has been some amount of turnover in the last six years. And also understand that since I now live on the other side of the country it's logical I wouldn't have fallen out of touch with some of these references.

I think SOMA and KCOM have begun or are preparing to review complete files now. My committee letter from VirtualEvals was just downloaded today and now everything is complete. The admissions office told me Monday that they wouldn't be downloading letters until Friday and haven't really begun reviewing yet. So it looks like they will start soon.

So, here's hoping to hear something in the near future....

My letters have also been uploaded today...my file is now complete...

I think SOMA and KCOM have begun or are preparing to review complete files now. My committee letter from VirtualEvals was just downloaded today and now everything is complete. The admissions office told me Monday that they wouldn't be downloading letters until Friday and haven't really begun reviewing yet. So it looks like they will start soon.

So, here's hoping to hear something in the near future....

Thanks for the update, my letters aren't in yet, so it makes me feel good to know that they haven't started reviewing files yet.

I heard someone say that KCOM and SOMA admissions committee are the same.

Why are the application so different? It so weird that one school needs verification and one doesn't? It's just there is one thing I did in the past in a different country, and I don't know if it will be able to be verified.

So do I just put it for KCOM and not SOMA?
Do I need to send in recommendation letters to both schools at the same place?

I am confused :confused:. It's just I don't want them to think I'm lying. Why did I put the activity in KCOM but not SOMA.

I heard someone say that KCOM and SOMA admissions committee are the same.

Why are the application so different? It so weird that one school needs verification and one doesn't? It's just there is one thing I did in the past in a different country, and I don't know if it will be able to be verified.

So do I just put it for KCOM and not SOMA?
Do I need to send in recommendation letters to both schools at the same place?

I am confused :confused:. It's just I don't want them to think I'm lying. Why did I put the activity in KCOM but not SOMA.

You need to send your LORS to each school separately. The applications are different b/c although each school operates under the same "umbrella" of ideas, they are still fairly independent and each school is looking for certain aspects separately from the other school. I don't think they compare you KCOM and SOMA applications side by side. But should the question come up I think it's fairly easy to explain that you left it off of one application b/c you weren't 100% sure it could be verified and you did not want that to delay the processing of your application. Take a few deep breaths, I'm sure you're not the only student with a similar issue. As long as you didn't lie you have done nothing wrong, and nothing questionable... I really doubt they will compare the two applications side by side to see if there are any discrepancies. Really med schools just get too many applications for that sort of thing.

You need to send your LORS to each school separately. The applications are different b/c although each school operates under the same "umbrella" of ideas, they are still fairly independent and each school is looking for certain aspects separately from the other school. I don't think they compare you KCOM and SOMA applications side by side. But should the question come up I think it's fairly easy to explain that you left it off of one application b/c you weren't 100% sure it could be verified and you did not want that to delay the processing of your application. Take a few deep breaths, I'm sure you're not the only student with a similar issue. As long as you didn't lie you have done nothing wrong, and nothing questionable... I really doubt they will compare the two applications side by side to see if there are any discrepancies. Really med schools just get too many applications for that sort of thing.

No, don't do that!!!! I had emailed the admissions office about this in early June and Brooke Kelsey emailed me back saying that EVERYTHING must go to the Kirksville Campus!! Just make sure that if your evalutors are mailing their letters to indicate ATSU/SOMA on the envelope intended for the SOMA admissions.

No, don't do that!!!! I had emailed the admissions office about this in early June and Brooke Kelsey emailed me back saying that EVERYTHING must go to the Kirksville Campus!! Just make sure that if your evalutors are mailing their letters to indicate ATSU/SOMA on the envelope intended for the SOMA admissions.

Ooohhh, thank you Droogdoc for correcting my misinformation :thumbup:... sorry if I mislead you!

Ooohhh, thank you Droogdoc for correcting my misinformation :thumbup:... sorry if I mislead you!

No problem. I thought the same thing and luckily found the right information in time to update my DO recommender before he sent it to the Arizona campus. Can't think of too many things worse than waiting on a phantom LOR.

Do they not participate in interfolio or other online delivery services?

Thanks for pointing this out, I had already sent my letters to soma and kcom separately and have been waiting forever for soma to "receive" them. I called soma and it is true that everything must go to kirksville. I looked through all the info they sent me and I couldn't find this directive anywhere. I asked the person on the phone if it was in the instructions somewhere, and she said "ummmm, yeah, I think, somewhere..."
So I asked, if my letters had already been sent to kcom, do I need to send another set to kirksville for soma, and she said no. But again, I sent them on the 13th and they still haven't been "received" by soma even though they were "received" by kcom on the 17th. Now I don't know if I should resend my letters, or just wait and hope they make the connection from my kcom app to my soma app.
Can anyone point out anywhere that it instructs us to send letters to kirksville??
*done with rant now*

I am not sure about this, my letters are through interfolio, how do I send them to SOMA and address them to KCOM, or whatever?

I am not sure about this, my letters are through interfolio, how do I send them to SOMA and address them to KCOM, or whatever?
Ya, that's part of the problem. When you try to send them to soma, it lists the AZ address, but says they will be delivered electronically. Sooo, are they delivered electronically to AZ or MO??