ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Laila,
Just relax and be yourself. My interviews were so laid back it was ridiculous. The people at KCOM are so nice you won't even believe it. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I've navigated the SDN feedback site for KCOM, but I was just wondering if anyone out there has additional info and or suggestions/advice for interviewees?!

Thanks in advance! :p

~Laila

Enjoy your day in Kirksville. KCOM is a great school, you will love it.

I'm so excited! I interviewed on Friday and received the call today!! Yay!!

Members don't see this ad :)
General Question for current KCOMers and other informed prospectives :p

What are rotations like at KCOM? Are third year rotations ward based, or preceptor based? and most importantly what are the affiliations and where?!

Hey guys. I loved KCOM! Absolutely loved it. I could definitely see myself there. But, I interviewed monday and didn't hear anything today so I'm assumming I probably didn't get in :(. The first interview went really well, it was with Dr. Rhodes (she rhodes). The second one... I couldn't really tell. It was with Dr. Laird. He was tough. I just tried to be myself, but I really couldn't get a read on if he liked me or not. I hope I got in. I'm so anxious to hear. Do you think I should call and see if my file was reviewed yesterday?

Hey guys. I loved KCOM! Absolutely loved it. I could definitely see myself there. But, I interviewed monday and didn't hear anything today so I'm assumming I probably didn't get in :(. The first interview went really well, it was with Dr. Rhodes (she rhodes). The second one... I couldn't really tell. It was with Dr. Laird. He was tough. I just tried to be myself, but I really couldn't get a read on if he liked me or not. I hope I got in. I'm so anxious to hear. Do you think I should call and see if my file was reviewed yesterday?

I don't think it would hurt anything just to call and ask.

Do you know if they review all of the apps of people who interviewed before wednesday on wednesday? They told us that the adcom wasn't even meeting this week. They should accept me. They need more indian people, don't you think?

Welcome to the new students and good luck to those waiting to find out if you were accepted.

It's so awesome to see so many new students excited about starting med school at KCOM.

I'm an alumn and loved my experiences there. It may be a small town but it forces you to know your classmates well,and trust me, we found TONS of way to have fun and get into some trouble. Don't let the size fool you, there is a lot going on underneath the surface.

The faculty and staff are actually nicer than your experiences during your interview. They go above and beyond to make you feel welcomed, help you along your career, and make sure you have a lot of fun as well.

I think the sky is the limit if you just apply yourself at KCOM cause they will train you well. My class had an amazing match list, I expect a better one from the years after us.

Good luck!

CP

Members don't see this ad :)
Strive--
I interviewed on the 25th of Jan and received my acceptance today. Fast turn-around, right? Really weird. I loved the school though. Maybe they could tell or something.

I think they attempt to call everyone but if you aren't available they just mail a packet or something. Good luck to everyone. This is gonna be a really tough decision for me. I have two acceptances from polar opposite schools. TOUROCOM which is in Manhattan and brand new and KCOM which is rural and extremely well-established. BTW, I'm not complaining. ;)

I think they attempt to call everyone but if you aren't available they just mail a packet or something. Good luck to everyone. This is gonna be a really tough decision for me. I have two acceptances from polar opposite schools. TOUROCOM which is in Manhattan and brand new and KCOM which is rural and extremely well-established. BTW, I'm not complaining. ;)
I got accepted to TOUROCOM as well, but i declined as I would rather go for SGU. I interviewed for KCOM on Jan 17, and did not hear anything. I called last week, they said they have not reviewed it yet. And I called today, they asked me to call back tomorrow...My interview is great. I hope I got in. I think it has to do with me being Canadian, as I noticed last year they accepted 1% internationals, which are Canadians.

I will find out tomorrow. :oops:

I hope you get the good news today. I have a question for you though. Why did you choose SGU over TOUROCOM? Is it the MD vs DO thing or did you not like something about TOUROCOM? I'd love to hear what you have to say.

I got rejected. I'm really bummed.

I hope you get the good news today. I have a question for you though. Why did you choose SGU over TOUROCOM? Is it the MD vs DO thing or did you not like something about TOUROCOM? I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Just called this morning, and the lady mentioned they my file was still not reviewed!! How can they be so slow? They ask my to call back next week! Do you think or anyone know it is common?

As for TOUROCOM, there is no way it could be compared to SGU. Its location is really really bad!! Its affliated hospitals are all some regional ones. I don't think it justifies the trouble of doing COMPLEX and USMLE for this school.

WOW! How can that be possible? Do you call to find out or what?
Did you ask why they reject you?

I know. I'm really upset about this. I asked why, and she said just to send them an email requesting feedback, and they'd get back to me. So, we'll see.

I know earlier some other people and myself were asking about the daily/weekly schedule of classes at KCOM. Well, I found it if anyone is interested. You have to have an e-mail address with atsu. Go to my.atsu.edu then click the KCOM tab on the left. Then students, then downloadable student schedules, then you'll see the calendar. It's interesting how they organize their course schedules. It's nothing at all like undergrad. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

I know earlier some other people and myself were asking about the daily/weekly schedule of classes at KCOM. Well, I found it if anyone is interested. You have to have an e-mail address with atsu. Go to my.atsu.edu then click the KCOM tab on the left. Then students, then downloadable student schedules, then you'll see the calendar. It's interesting how they organize their course schedules. It's nothing at all like undergrad. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!

I found that as well. I looks tough, but more managable than a lot of others I've seen. :thumbup:

I found that as well. I looks tough, but more managable than a lot of others I've seen. :thumbup:

Yeah, of course it's going to be tough, but it definitely does look doable!:thumbup:

I found it, but it's blank. Did I do something wrong?

Hi, could you please post a copy of it as I have not heard back from the decision, so I would not be able to log it.

thanks

I found it, but it's blank. Did I do something wrong?[/quote/]

It's blank because when you open the file it will take you to today's date in the calendar, but it is not 1st quarter anymore. You have to scroll back a few months to find the schedule. Hope that helps! :thumbup:

could anyone post a typical week schedule?
thanks

That did work. Thanks!

StriveToBeDr, I'll try to see if I can send it to you somehow. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

I lived in Kirksville during undergrad at Truman State. It's a nice town consisting of mostly undergrad students.
Though, it would probably be an adjustment for anyone moving from an extremely large city.
My girlfriend is from Dallas and she HATES when I talk about possibly applying to KCOM.
Anyway, Thousand Hills State Park sure is great place to relax.

Did anyone else get the on-campus guide and papers today in their email? I'm thinking I definetly want the on-campus apartments with 2 bedrooms. How whould I go about getting a roomate?

Yep I got the student housing info too. And I have the same question about how to get a roommate :)

Less than 7 months to go!! :hardy:

Did anyone else get the on-campus guide and papers today in their email? I'm thinking I definetly want the on-campus apartments with 2 bedrooms. How whould I go about getting a roomate?

Yep I got the student housing info too. And I have the same question about how to get a roommate :)

Less than 7 months to go!! :hardy:

Sounds like you guys have an answer to your problem. ;)

Hey, russianstud, are you russian?

Do they always call if you got accepted or you have to call to find out? I know today they definitely are going to make a decision, but I did not get the call, and I will call them tomorrow. I wonder is it a good sign or it is normal.

thank you very much

Do they always call if you got accepted or you have to call to find out? I know today they definitely are going to make a decision, but I did not get the call, and I will call them tomorrow. I wonder is it a good sign or it is normal.

thank you very much

I never received a phone call. It must depend on your specific admissions counselor. I called mine the day after they were supposed to make decisions, and she told me that I was accepted and that she was planning on giving me a call.

Thanks, at least there is still a chance:laugh:
If I get in KCOM, then I will cancel my AZCOM interview.

thank you

I got the housing guide but I decided not to apply to live there, mostly because you can't move in until Aug 13th and then orientation is the 15th. I would like to have a couple of weeks to paint, clean, unpack and settle before jumping right into school.

I got the housing guide yesterday as well. I am not going to live there because I have a husband, two greyhounds, and two cats. It sure was nice seeing those low rent numbers, though. Hopefully that bodes well for other (slightly larger) rentals in Kirksville!

Are there a lot of non-trads at this school? Any here on SDN planning to head to KCOM?

Are there a lot of non-trads at this school? Any here on SDN planning to head to KCOM?

KCOM is well known for accepting lots of non-trads. I'm not old, but I consider myself non-trad as I am married and have two kids. I am headed that direction next year and can't wait!!!!!

I was wondering if any of you that got accepted for the 2008 entering class went through KCOM's masters program first? If any of you have, can you tell me what it's like?
I didn't get accepted to the D.O. program initially because of my low MCAT scores, but they have invited me for an interview to the Biomedical sciences program, and said that they would reopen my file if I score significantly better on the MCAT I took on the 26th of January.

Has anyone ever gotten off "on hold" and received an interview?? I just received the on hold letter and I am not sure what that means.:confused: Is it just a nice way of saying I have been rejected??

Though I am not old, I am considered non-trad b/c I have worked for 4 years and did an MPH between undergrad and med school.

Has anyone ever gotten off "on hold" and received an interview?? I just received the on hold letter and I am not sure what that means.:confused: Is it just a nice way of saying I have been rejected??

Well back in the fall megboo was put on hold and then received an interview invite a week later. My husband and I have both been on hold for a while now and I doubt it will be changing for us. At this point in the interview season I'm not sure if that's really a rejection or not. Sorry I'm not more helpful. :oops:

I was wondering if any of you that got accepted for the 2008 entering class went through KCOM's masters program first? If any of you have, can you tell me what it's like?
I didn't get accepted to the D.O. program initially because of my low MCAT scores, but they have invited me for an interview to the Biomedical sciences program, and said that they would reopen my file if I score significantly better on the MCAT I took on the 26th of January.

I chickened out of applying for the entering class of 2006 at KCOM but knew that I wanted to get my DO there. Did the MBS program, and have nothing but good stuff to say about it. PM if interested.:thumbup:

It was a little sad after getting informed that I was placed on alternative list, and they refused to give any information as where you stand on the list. Anyhow, I am wondering how likely is it for me to be pulled off the alternative list and usually how long does it take?

thank you very much

ps After spending so much money on going to the school and did a really good performance on the interview, it only tells me that life is unpredictable and full of melodrama. :oops:

It was a little sad after getting informed that I was placed on alternative list, and they refused to give any information as where you stand on the list. Anyhow, I am wondering how likely is it for me to be pulled off the alternative list and usually how long does it take?

thank you very much

ps After spending so much money on going to the school and did a really good performance on the interview, it only tells me that life is unpredictable and full of melodrama. :oops:

When I was at my interview with the admissions person, he told me that the alternate list is different than at other schools. If they have extra space, which he said some years there are no spots and others there are as many as 20 (the example he used), your name is basically drawn out of a hat. It is completely random and would happen in the summer sometime. I think he said June or July but I can't remember for sure on that one.