2023-2024 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thank you!! I was actually wondering if WCUCOM had an area for us to keep our stuff; do you think it's okay to bring my purse with me into my interview if there's no one to leave it with?
yeah for sure, it's like a little room with a couch for you and two chairs for the interviewers so you could totally set it on the couch beside you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
thank you!! I was actually wondering if WCUCOM had an area for us to keep our stuff; do you think it's okay to bring my purse with me into my interview if there's no one to leave it with?
we have to leave our bags with thousands of dollars of computers and iPads outside lecture halls and in random places on campus before exams so you'll be fine... no ones gonna steal your stuff! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received and submitted secondary app yesterday!! Low MCAT, okay gpa, OOS(FL)
If I get an interview, will there be an option of in-person or virtual?

Received and submitted secondary app yesterday!! Low MCAT, okay gpa, OOS(FL)
If I get an interview, will there be an option of in-person or virtual?
You can choose between in-person and virtual

Members don't see this ad :)
Declined my acceptance, and it wasn't an easy call since I genuinely loved the school and my interview. Hopefully it goes to one of y'all. Good luck to everyone in this cycle. Hope everyone gets the A!!

OOS A!!!!! my first acceptance 😭😭 i’m going to be a doctor!!

Reactions: 4 users
OOS A 😭 it all works out guests never give up on your dreams

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
rural OOS, low MCAT, good GPA - got a secondary app yesterday (i submitted my primary about a month or two ago) and submitted secondary today. What are the chances of getting an interview here this late in the game?

Are you saying not to lean towards WCUCOM? If so, can you elaborate on your experience/what you didn’t like?
Don’t believe everything some people put out there without context. I’m not sure why this person commented that without elaborating on as to why they feel that way.

rural OOS, low MCAT, good GPA - got a secondary app yesterday (i submitted my primary about a month or two ago) and submitted secondary today. What are the chances of getting an interview here this late in the game?
let's goooo more rural people!! I had a good mcat but bad gpa and got in. this school interviews really late into the cycle so you could still have a solid chance! ♥

Interviewed 2/19. Haven't received a decision yet but also haven't taken the Casper yet. The earliest I can take the Casper is 3/12 and WCUCOM is the only school I applied to that requires it. Will I have to wait until I take the Casper to get a decision?

Interviewed 2/19. Haven't received a decision yet but also haven't taken the Casper yet. The earliest I can take the Casper is 3/12 and WCUCOM is the only school I applied to that requires it. Will I have to wait until I take the Casper to get a decision?
When I finished my interview, they told me that they usually meet on Wednesday but that they were a little behind and might not get back to the interview group until the following Wednesday (2/28) but that we should hear something within a week or two.

I will be declining my acceptance offer. Unfortunately, I cannot afford another $2,000 deposit. Best of luck to all of you!

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to ask about the typical schedule for OMS 1. Are you in class 8-4 Monday thru Friday or are lectures available online? I am going to have an hour commute and was just curious if it is possible to stay home some days.

Just finished my virtual interview. Really hope I get accepted since it’s my top choice! Good luck to everyone else interviewing.

Just wanted to ask about the typical schedule for OMS 1. Are you in class 8-4 Monday thru Friday or are lectures available online? I am going to have an hour commute and was just curious if it is possible to stay home some days.
hey! current OMS2! right now OMS1 has 2 hours of mandatory lecture every monday afternoon, mandatory OMM lab for 2 hours on tuesday as well as mandatory Clinical Skills (CPC) lab for 2 hours on tuesday. You'll have mandatory Anatomy lab either wednesday OR thursday and then asynchronous lectures / optional attendance for everything else. I will say with any school you apply to that says they have "optional" attendance or no mandatory, your OMM, clinical skills, and anatomy labs are almost always gonna be mandatory, and you *have* to keep in mind that schools can change their curriculum/policies without telling you at any point in time. It's just part of the gig of being a medical student.

For example (and for your info) when I started OMS1, OMS2 had no mandatory attendance, so other than clinical skills and OMM, everything was async. The summer between my OMS1 and OMS2 year (last summer) the school changed the policy where we have to be in one of our OMS2 classes (and our highest weighted class / most rigorous) 80% of the time, which roughly comes out to being at 3 hours of mandatory lecture monday, 3-4 hours of mandatory lecture tuesday, and 3 hours of mandatory lecture friday, with OMM mandatory 2 hours on Thursday and Clinical Skills mandatory for a total of 4ish hours on Wednesday.

It's been fine for me personally and you learn to adapt (which is one of the BEST things you can learn in med school), and thankfully OMS1 doesn't have anywhere near that much mandatory attendance, but when I came in as OMS1, we were told and at the time was the case that 2nd year had no mandatory attendance, and then that changed right before we started OMS2, which at that point, you really have no option but to accept it ya know?

It's just something to keep in mind especially at DO programs, that things like attendance policies, rotations sites, etc. can change at any point in time, even if you were told/expected something different before you matriculated, and that goes for any school, not just Carey!

With that being said, we have a TON of people that commute an hour and do just fine!

Reactions: 2 users
do any current students have any advice/recommendations about apartment complexes to live at? I know they gave us a list of recommended places, but just wanted to hear some personal stories from students if possible. in particular, does anyone know about hub city lofts/if it’s recommended? reviews online don’t seem very good but there also aren’t a lot of recent ones on google anyways— pictures make it seem appealing and it also has studio apartments, which I would prefer over a 1br. thanks in advance!

do any current students have any advice/recommendations about apartment complexes to live at? I know they gave us a list of recommended places, but just wanted to hear some personal stories from students if possible. in particular, does anyone know about hub city lofts/if it’s recommended? reviews online don’t seem very good but there also aren’t a lot of recent ones on google anyways— pictures make it seem appealing and it also has studio apartments, which I would prefer over a 1br. thanks in advance!
I was looking into it also if i decided on WCU, but I asked around and heard it was really noisy as there is a night club next door and an AMTRAK station across the street with trains running all hours. It looks super cute though and I'm sure you could get used to the noise!

I'm at Breckenridge, so far it hasn't been bad and its p cheap

I applied to WCUCOM with a complete and verified application back in June 2023. I have not heard anything or received a secondary? Does this mean that I have been rejected or ghosted because I have not received any rejection letter either. I check my email daily as well as spam.

I applied to WCUCOM with a complete and verified application back in June 2023. I have not heard anything or received a secondary? Does this mean that I have been rejected or ghosted because I have not received any rejection letter either. I check my email daily as well as spam.
This is also around when I applied. I got a secondary last week and an II this week.

Has anyone who interviewed last week or recently heard anything back yet? They said we would know by the end of this week