2023-2024 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hello everyone! i have an upcoming interview and i am trying to prepare for it. if anyone has any advice on how to prepare, what kinds of questions they were asked in their interview, and any last min tips, i would really appreciate it! thank you :)
I agree with everything the people above said! the SDN website was great in preparing me for my interview; just know your application and be prepared to answer an ethical question! otherwise, the interview is not stressful. they really just want to get to know you!

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview coming up does anyone know if they are currently interviewing for the WL?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an A!!!! 🥰
I am a Canadian student, so if there are any other international student that can share their experience living and going here, please lmk.
Also where can I find the important dates calendar or find the date when semester starts?

Just got an A!!!! 🥰
I am a Canadian student, so if there are any other international student that can share their experience living and going here, please lmk.
Also where can I find the important dates calendar or find the date when semester starts?
Congrats!! I also got the A this morning and was searching for dates and such. I found last year's student handbook and catalog here: https://www.wmcarey.edu/assets/docu...t Handbook and Catalog Edits for NY (003).pdf

It has a lot of other information there as well. I couldn't find the 2024-2025 version but it should be roughly the same.

Just got an A!!!! 🥰
hey! congrats on the A!! can I pm you? i have an interview coming up

Just got an A!!!! 🥰
congrats! Im from canada too and will be going to WCU this year.

I have an interview coming up and dont know too much about the school. im curious to hear what draws you guys to WCUCOM and if anyone interviewed to see if they can PM me!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian student here, had my interview yesterday. I want to say it went well, for those with interviews coming up here are the questions they asked me: why medicine? Tell us about your experience shadowing DOs, what do you know about DOs? Why our school? Where do you see yourself working? What kind of specialty are you interested in? I was also given an ethical scenario about physician assisted suicide, and this question last question was about my mcat score (496 -> 510) they wanted to know about the process. Overall was good but hard to gauge the interviewers stance, def felt the a bit of pressure not as relaxing as some people made it seem but maybe it was just me. Hopefully those who have yet to do their interviews, kill it! Well get through this.

P.S would really appreciate if someone could tell me what’s the usual timeline for getting back to us about decisions

Canadian student here, had my interview yesterday. I want to say it went well, for those with interviews coming up here are the questions they asked me: why medicine? Tell us about your experience shadowing DOs, what do you know about DOs? Why our school? Where do you see yourself working? What kind of specialty are you interested in? I was also given an ethical scenario about physician assisted suicide, and this question last question was about my mcat score (496 -> 510) they wanted to know about the process. Overall was good but hard to gauge the interviewers stance, def felt the a bit of pressure not as relaxing as some people made it seem but maybe it was just me. Hopefully those who have yet to do their interviews, kill it! Well get through this.

P.S would really appreciate if someone could tell me what’s the usual timeline for getting back to us about decisions
congrats on finishing your interview! I interviewed in february on a monday and got the A that following wednesday. I believe they said it would take ~10 days to hear back, if not earlier

congrats on finishing your interview! I interviewed in february on a monday and got the A that following wednesday. I believe they said it would take ~10 days to hear back, if not earlier
What kind of vibes did you get during your interview? I just want to gauge because mine were very neutral and hit me with question after question. I feel as though my answers were decent.

congrats on finishing your interview! can i ask if you did the virtual or in-person interview? thanks and good luck :)

What kind of vibes did you get during your interview? I just want to gauge because mine were very neutral and hit me with question after question. I feel as though my answers were decent.
overall, I don't think my interview was too stressful! it did feel like they were just going straight from question to question, but it seemed like they really cared about my responses and would follow-up based on what I said. I wouldn't stress too much about it, I'm sure you did great! :) good luck with everything!

Anyone whose recently scheduled an interview, what dates did they have left open?

I got a secondary about 1-2 weeks ago and was curious if they'd be reaching out for an II anytime soon.

Hey! If there are any current students in the forum. What would you suggest are must haves for first year? Also how many sets of scrubs do you suggest, being that we have to wear that or office attire to class. I want to start planning out everything I need. I know its early lol, but I just want to feel like i'm being proactive hahaha.

Hey! If there are any current students in the forum. What would you suggest are must haves for first year? Also how many sets of scrubs do you suggest, being that we have to wear that or office attire to class. I want to start planning out everything I need. I know its early lol, but I just want to feel like i'm being proactive hahaha.
current OMS2:

-I have 3 "class" scrub pants and 4 "class" tops and its more than enough. Two of each would be fine. Y'alls color should be burgundy if they keep the same rotation but I would verify this before purchasing.
-the white coat
-in my personal opinion, DO NOT BUY SCRUBS FROM THE BOOKSTORE. they never arrive on time, have issues, etc. I would reccomend buying your scrubs and getting them embroidered at The Embroidery Hut her in hattiesburg that has all the logos and details you need, is a local business, and pretty reasonable price wise.
-2-3 pairs of throw away scrubs for anatomy lab
-iPad Pro imo is a must at Carey. Its just kind of part of the assumed workflow.
-Some kind of noise cancelling headphones (my AirPod Pro's work great)
-2-3 Business outfits
-A car
-Buy a cheap otoscope and ophthalmoscope and BP cuff imo. You'll want it to practice when the ILC isn't open.
-The stethoscope they reccomend.

That's really the necessities other than stuff you might need for personal living, etc. I will say from personal experience trying to tie up all the lil loose ends is a really great idea! Get all of your doctors, dentists, annual visits out of the way. Get a tune up on your car. You don't have to want to be worrying about that first year!

Reactions: 3 users
current OMS2:

-I have 3 "class" scrub pants and 4 "class" tops and its more than enough. Two of each would be fine. Y'alls color should be burgundy if they keep the same rotation but I would verify this before purchasing.
-the white coat
-in my personal opinion, DO NOT BUY SCRUBS FROM THE BOOKSTORE. they never arrive on time, have issues, etc. I would reccomend buying your scrubs and getting them embroidered at The Embroidery Hut her in hattiesburg that has all the logos and details you need, is a local business, and pretty reasonable price wise.
-iPad Pro imo is a must at Carey. Its just kind of part of the assumed workflow.
-2-3 Business outfits
-A car
-Buy a cheap otoscope and ophthalmoscope and BP cuff imo. You'll want it to practice when the ILC isn't open.

That's really the necessities other than stuff you might need for personal living, etc. I will say from personal experience trying to tie up all the lil loose ends is a really great idea! Get all of your doctors, dentists, annual visits out of the way. Get a tune up on your car. You don't have to want to be worrying about that first year!
the OMS-1 scrubs are burgundy? also thanks for the details

current OMS2:

-the white coat
-2-3 Business outfits
-A car

Agree with all of this! I have 2 regular and 2 cheap scrubs for anatomy, I have an iPad Air that I use almost every day! Definitely buy scrubs on amazon and get them embroidered from scrubs n more!

Hey, current lurking students... how did you find your apartments? What websites do you recommend besides appartments.com? Or did you go with the recommended apartment list from the school?

Hey, current lurking students... how did you find your apartments? What websites do you recommend besides appartments.com? Or did you go with the recommended apartment list from the school?
I asked a lot of second year students and used the list given and reviews online

current OMS2:

-the white coat
-2-3 Business outfits
-A car

Anything to prepare for academically wise you suggest?

current OMS2:

-the white coat
-2-3 Business outfits
-A car

Thank you sssooo much for this!!!

If you think you might want to use anki, now is a great time to start getting familiar with the software. HIGHLY recommend AGAINST "pre-studying", enjoy your free time while you still can.

I looked at hattiesburgapartments.com, it's a big management company and I ended up renting with them.

Does anyone know roughly what the total COA is?

OOS A!!!! My first one ever!!! Finally! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Got my first ever acceptance today!!!

Does anyone know roughly what the total COA is?
the OMS-1 scrubs are burgundy? also thanks for the details
This year Total COA was ~ $44K for annual tuition and then you can take up to $44K additional for annual living expenses which is more than enough given its not taxed. so like $88K ish total? Probs won't go up a ton next year.

Academically, if you want to waste your precious free time and summer, pre-study, cause it will literally do nothing for you lol. totally agree with playing around with anki (zach highley on youtube settings are what i set up summer before oms-1 and still use them to this day) if you think you might use it, and i reccomend at least trying it first block because there are SO many carey specific pre-made decks that you'll get one way or another.

Traditionally the rotation of scrubs is ceil blue, burgundy, navy, hunter green, and it goes in rotation. you'll be the same "color" all 4 years, but thats the usual rotation. so this years first years were ceil blue, so burgundy would be next in line. they could change it up (they haven't in 10 years) so i'd wait till you hear something or email Ms. Martha Wedgeworth and she'll probs tell you.

Apartment wise i would just be realllllllly honest with yourself about how you live and what will be most comfy for you. If you can get along and live with anyone, then you might enjoy having a roommate, but if there's any hint that you might not, i wouldn't reccomend having a roommate first semester, just cause i've seen so many "random" roommates go bad, but thats just my personal opinion. I would personally stick with the carey recommended apartments and what people have recommended above!

Hi all! I interviewed earlier this week and received my A yesterday. is there an accepted groupchat? anyone has the link or can add new members?

Does anyone know when we should receive more information about matriculation? Like when we need to complete drug screenings and the rest of that stuff?

has anybody started looking into housing? where do most students live and how safe is it? appreciate any advice you guys can provide!!

has anybody started looking into housing? where do most students live and how safe is it? appreciate any advice you guys can provide!!
there are some great posts up in the thread discussing housing! :)

I know someone had mentioned breckenridge earlier when I asked about housing but can anyone give me more details about how they like it? is the area nice/safe, are the apartments clean, etc?

I know someone had mentioned breckenridge earlier when I asked about housing but can anyone give me more details about how they like it? is the area nice/safe, are the apartments clean, etc?
pros of breckenridge:
-clean
-cozy
-good price
-big apartments
-you don't have to get on hardy at all to get to school which is a HUGE pro
-lots of carey students live there so if you need something or need help there's always someone to ask!
-pet friendly

cons:
-not gated (but half the gated apartment communities leave their gates open all the time)
-not as nice as the met