2023-2024 UC San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how SD perceives LOI for someone on the WL?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how SD perceives LOI for someone on the WL?
I can't necessarily speak to their perception but only my process- I was waitlisted in a previous cycle and they didn't accept updates until a certain point in the cycle (late April for me). In that late April email they mentioned specifically they were open to accepting LOIs/updates, so I can't imagine it would hurt you and could possibly help you (given you submit it at the time they ask for it). Someone please correct me if this has changed this/last year but that was how my cycle went!

Reactions: 1 user
I can't necessarily speak to their perception but only my process- I was waitlisted in a previous cycle and they didn't accept updates until a certain point in the cycle (late April for me). In that late April email they mentioned specifically they were open to accepting LOIs/updates, so I can't imagine it would hurt you and could possibly help you (given you submit it at the time they ask for it). Someone please correct me if this has changed this/last year but that was how my cycle went!

Same thing happened last cycle when I was WL

Members don't see this ad :)
Angry Lilo And Stitch GIF

just send me the R already

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Literally same like i can't reach out i'm just sitting here waiting for the sweet release of death (R)
I asked them for the status back in January and they never responded 😭😭😭 like pls js do it already, end my misery

Does it hurt to send an email asking about whether they are still sending II at this point? I am genuinely confused by how my August application still has not updates.

Does it hurt to send an email asking about whether they are still sending II at this point? I am genuinely confused by how my August application still has not updates.
please do...they never responded to me and in their File Complete email they said it would only take 3-4 months to reach a decision

Feb 6ers our time has come, only one week left of waiting. I'm gonna go ahead and say it: each and every one of us will get in. congrats everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I submitted mid-September and I am just assuming it’s a hold or rejection at this point and moving on — maybe a miracle will happen lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same but I’m assuming they’re gonna do a massive hold wave after all IIs are sent out and then reject later lol

I don't think they will hold people after interviews are finished. Last cycle, they put some hold people on another hold in case someone did pull out of an interview slot, but that seemed to be rare.

I don't think they will hold people after interviews are finished. Last cycle, they put some hold people on another hold in case someone did pull out of an interview slot, but that seemed to be rare.
so really, we're all just waiting for a fat R 😖

Is UCSD done interviewing? I have not gotten an R or an II or a hold yet.

I'm currently WL here, and it's one of my top choices, but I'm also waiting to here back post-II on a few other top choice schools, so I'm considering sending a LOI. If I get rejected from those before SD asks for updates/LOI, I can still send a LOI, right?

• Care
I'm currently WL here, and it's one of my top choices, but I'm also waiting to here back post-II on a few other top choice schools, so I'm considering sending a LOI. If I get rejected from those before SD asks for updates/LOI, I can still send a LOI, right?

Why would getting rejected from those other schools prevent you from sending a LOI? Tbf, I'm not sure how much UCSD values LOIntent over LOInterest anyways

Idk if anyone said this but they don’t take letter of interests and only letters of intent?

From what I understand, they don’t really look at LOIs until April/May which is when waitlist movement occurs. If I remember correctly from interview day, they will send an email around that time requesting any updates/LOIs from WL applicants.

IMG_9273.jpeg

Edit: Dear lord I sent this on mobile and did not realize how big it was. So sorry...

Last edited:
Sorry, I think this has been asked before, but what does waitlist movement look like here?

if it helps anyone, on their website it says they interview through end of March in case you're still waiting for an II

Reactions: 7 users
Just fyi- they let us know at yesterday's interview that decisions will be released (A/WL/R) for 2/29 interview on 3/15. So I'm assuming that everyone from before 2/29 who hasn't heard yet will find out then too. Hope that helps someone!

Just fyi- they let us know at yesterday's interview that decisions will be released (A/WL/R) for 2/29 interview on 3/15. So I'm assuming that everyone from before 2/29 who hasn't heard yet will find out then too. Hope that helps someone!
3/15 for PRIME or regular MD decisions?

Seems like it depends on the day honestly. I didn’t get an A call at all and just got an email. Meanwhile some days, it looks like everyone gets a call.

OOS A! Im in total shock! They called first and then email! Praying each and every one of you hear some great news as well.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
It doesn’t seem like UCSD rejects anyone post-interview cause I’ve haven’t seen a post-interview rejection reported

It doesn’t seem like UCSD rejects anyone post-interview cause I’ve haven’t seen a post-interview rejection reported
I remember seeing stats that they interview about 900 people, waitlist about 300 people, and accept 140, so there must be post-II R's somewhere in there

I just took a quick scan through the 2021-22 & 2022-23 UCSD threads, and a handful of folks reported post-ii rejections during both cycles. I agree that there’s probably a lot of underreporting.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I remember seeing stats that they interview about 900 people, waitlist about 300 people, and accept 140, so there must be post-II R's somewhere in there
I think 140 is the class size, so they probably admit a bit more than that; maybe double the class size or a bit less? Regardless it's not enough to account for post-II R so you're right there must be some people that get hit with it unfortunately.