2023-2024 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does FAFSA still show 'not received' on the financial aid documents & messages for anyone? everything else shows received. any idea on when UCSF will send out financial aid packages?
I think a lot of schools are delayed. This won't really answer your question, but is what a SDN admin posted yesterday in regards to financial aid matters:
FYI: The AAMC provided the following recommendations for students holding acceptances but waiting to get scholarship information based on FAFSA before choosing which school to attend:
  • If they have questions for schools where they have been accepted, they should ask the school's admissions office directly.
    • They can ask when the school anticipates making and communicating decisions related to scholarships and loans (for most situations, loans are a given and may not typically be sent until later, so scholarship decisions is likely the pertinent question to help applicants make decisions)
    • If this is after the April 15 and 30th protocol and CTE (Commit to Enroll) dates, they can ask if the school is willing to allow time to decide until scholarship decisions are made and communicated.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know where WL peeps can send an update? Don't see anything on the portal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back about their aid packages?

Not everyone who is accepted has gotten a package! Not sure why some ppl are getting them faster or not but they seem to be slowly rolling them out rather than all at once

Reactions: 1 users
Did you also receive a separate aid package for the JMP? (I'm on alt list for both, but just curious how they compare!)
Nope! I think for JMP we are supposed to get our estimates from Berkeley, but I have only received a letter from UCSF (nada from Berkeley)

My aid package is essentially nothing and I'm very much freaking out. I was a Cal/Pell grant/work study recipient, and now I'm nontrad/FAP recipient, and my parents are both retired and cannot help me out so .. I have been crying all day

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, received a financial aid award estimate letter yesterday. Letter says "You have been awarded a full tuition and fees scholarship". Does that mean a full-ride including housing or only tuition. Currently on alt list for regular MD, was accepted into SJV PRIME.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, received a financial aid award estimate letter yesterday. Letter says "You have been awarded a full tuition and fees scholarship". Does that mean a full-ride including housing or only tuition. Currently on alt list for regular MD, was accepted into SJV PRIME.
The wording indicates that housing/living expenses are not included.
The loan amount you would need for just those things would be manageable.

My aid package is essentially nothing and I'm very much freaking out. I was a Cal/Pell grant/work study recipient, and now I'm nontrad/FAP recipient, and my parents are both retired and cannot help me out so .. I have been crying all day
I'm so sorry - I remember feeling similarly panicked a few years ago when I got in and wondering how on earth I would come up with the money without more aid or help from family (I was 31 when I started at UCSF). I would try to take a breath and remember it is doable. You got into med school! Your dream of becoming and MD is in reach, even if it means things may have to be a little "lean" the next few years.

It's a reasonable thing to worry about, but in retrospect I wish I hadn't let the anxiety get to me as much. By the 4th year of residency I am earning triple what my UCSF tuition was. I can make $1-2k in one moonlighting shift. I'm still in an expensive city and there's ongoing discussions about the financial stress on residents especially given many are still paying back educational loans, but our program has been receptive and even starting giving out a housing stipend to offset the rising rent.

Be in touch with the financial aid office. It never hurts to let them know that you'd be interested in whatever work-study or scholarship applications they might know of. And if you get a better financial aid packed elsewhere, seriously consider taking it. No one will hold it against you and you'll make someone on the wait list very happy. You've got this.

• Wow
Sorry for the neuroticism, but for those accepted and in the GroupMe, has there been movement out of it since the narrowing to three schools “deadline”? And does it seem like there may be movement this year or nah

Sorry for the neuroticism, but for those accepted and in the GroupMe, has there been movement out of it since the narrowing to three schools “deadline”? And does it seem like there may be movement this year or nah
Not accepted, but I've been monitoring the Facebook page for accepted students (currently at 165-10 admins) and there hasn't been any movement there this past week or so. There might be a lot of people that haven't yet joined, however.

Since Monday, 3 people have left the Groupme! 5 or 6 have joined though, I assume maybe from waitlist or they just found out about it later? Not sure

• Wow
  • Care
Hmmmm I think WL movement doesn't start until May 1? I could be wrong

Where can I find the groupme link for accepted students??

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long would we have to accept a position off the waitlist? I've seen at some other places anywhere between 2 days to a week but can't find this info online for UCSF.

Withdrawing from UCSF and from the UC Berkeley/UCSF JMP - wishing the best of luck to all my WL homies!! (these As hurt the most to give up ngl 😭)

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
Last year it looks like it was May 3rd. Maybe @MercifulCamper can give us the inside scoop 👀
Tbh I don't know. I am not affiliated with the admissions team at all. What I do know is last year they under-admitted so there was a lot of waitlist movement. The year before mine they over-admitted and I think the class above me has like 15-20 more students than mine so there was very little waitlist movement. I have no clue what the trend is this year. Good luck to y'all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Can any accepted students speak on how generous financial aid packages have been and if the vibes are good financially?

I don't think so. From previous years looks like they release a bunch via email at once

Has anyone on the alternate list heard back yet?
bro I've been refreshing this page an unhealthy amount of time today. Last year they heard back on May 3rd at like 5 or 6pm PST

I called the admissions office earlier and asked about when to expect to hear back about the waitlist. They said mid-May because of the FASFA delay.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for asking! Does that mean they intend to send financial aid offers with the decisions?

Can any accepted students speak on how generous financial aid packages have been and if the vibes are good financially?

The need-based aid was very generous in my experience and on par with private institutions of the same tier