2023-2024 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nevermind got WL for both MD and JMP 😭😭 well UCLA is still pretty lit haha

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Alternate for MD as of 15 mins ago. I interviewed 1/30 for MD/JMP. Do any JMP people know how it works from here for us? In the interview they said something along the lines of 'acceptance for one or both programs is possible,' so does that mean I still have a shot at JMP? hopefully:,)

update: just got the JMP WL email :/
Exact same thing just happened to me ughhhh

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can’t tell if I’m sad or numb cos of how long this process is 🥲

Reactions: 4 users
congrats to everyone accepted! for the WL, does anyone know if UCSF accepts updates/LOIs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could an additional letter of rec be an update? Or what else could we send as an update...? I don't have grades or anything since I'm on my gap year and working

Congrats to everyone, y’all are amazing!! Currently trying to form a school list for apps. Any current or prospective students on here willing to talk a little bit about how political climate/polarization has played into their relationships and experience at ucsf? I’ve heard mixed things regarding ppls experiences - especially over the last few months.

Congrats to everyone, y’all are amazing!! Currently trying to form a school list for apps. Any current or prospective students on here willing to talk a little bit about how political climate/polarization has played into their relationships and experience at ucsf? I’ve heard mixed things regarding ppls experiences - especially over the last few months.
Not sure what you have heard? UCSF, like many other academic centers, tends to be more liberal/progressive. We have had our fair share of different opinions amongst faculty and students regarding a numerous amount of different political and medical controversies. UCSF is an institution that I can positively say values free speech - we have some professors that go against the grain academically and politically but they are given their time and space to say what they like. The institution doesn't control what we say as long as we don't try to speak on behalf of the whole institution.

Reactions: 2 users
Could an additional letter of rec be an update? Or what else could we send as an update...? I don't have grades or anything since I'm on my gap year and working

An additional letter of rec wouldn't be an update, and realistically, it's just as likely to hurt you (are admin officers really going to want to read a LOR you didn't think was worth getting earlier?) as it is to help you. I'd say it's not worth it.

Not sure what you have heard? UCSF, like many other academic centers, tends to be more liberal/progressive. We have had our fair share of different opinions amongst faculty and students regarding a numerous amount of different political and medical controversies. UCSF is an institution that I can positively say values free speech - we have some professors that go against the grain academically and politically but they are given their time and space to say what they like. The institution doesn't control what we say as long as we don't try to speak on behalf of the whole institution.

Echoing this. We definitely had some big political movements on campus during my medical school years (2016 election, BLM, LGBTQIA+ events), but they were obviously optional, and generally people were respectful of each other's political views and opinions. UCSF is certainly a relatively liberal school in a relatively liberal area, though.

Does anyone know if UCSF is generally considered to be generous with financial aid? Additionally, is USCF open to negotiating financial aid offers? Just trying to get a better idea of what to expect with the $$ from this school.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if UCSF is generally considered to be generous with financial aid? Additionally, is USCF open to negotiating financial aid offers? Just trying to get a better idea of what to expect with the $$ from this school.
I don't think they offer much aid compared to similarly ranked schools. During my interview session they mentioned that trying to negotiate aid by comparing offers from other schools "said a lot about the candidate" and not in a good way lol, but your mileage may vary. Not like they can rescind your acceptance for trying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

They're not going to be on par with private schools who have funding for financial aid. But it also depends on your own financial position. 5 years ago, as someone coming from a decently well-off family, it was on par for me with other UC offers I had, and still cheaper than my private option because of the sheer tuition difference. But I met a few accepted students with financial need who had better aid offers at private institutions.

Edit: At least when I was there, there was always a slot of time during ASW that was reserved for accepted students to visit the financial aid office and ask questions about their offers.

I don't think they offer much aid compared to similarly ranked schools. During my interview session they mentioned that trying to negotiate aid by comparing offers from other schools "said a lot about the candidate" and it seemed to be heavily discouraged lol, but your mileage may vary. Not like they can rescind your acceptance for trying.
They're not going to be on par with private schools who have funding for financial aid. But it also depends on your own financial position. 5 years ago, as someone coming from a decently well-off family, it was on par for me with other UC offers I had, and still cheaper than my private option because of the sheer tuition difference. But I met a few accepted students with financial need who had better aid offers at private institutions.

Edit: At least when I was there, there was always a slot of time during ASW that was reserved for accepted students to visit the financial aid office and ask questions about their offers.

Got it, thanks so much for your replies! I may just expect, then, that UCSF will have a less generous package than the private schools I am weighing but we shall see when the actual numbers come back!

Reactions: 1 users
they mentioned that trying to negotiate aid by comparing offers from other schools "said a lot about the candidate" and it seemed to be heavily discouraged lol
Off-topic (and still waiting for a decision here) but schools trying to shame people for seeking marginally better aid is definitely something lmao

Reactions: 7 users
Off-topic (and still waiting for a decision here) but schools trying to shame people for seeking marginally better aid is definitely something lmao

Their reasoning for stating that is because they already offer you enough aid based on the info that you give them on FAFSA and other financial aid forms you fill out. Trying to bargain for more and forcing their hand indicates poor morals because you’re trying to take what’s not rightfully yours from others.

They do have a lower student debt than the national average, so that’s something to consider. It may just be because of lower tuition too. Whether or not any of us agree with that… it is what it is lol

• Haha
Have any recently accepted students been let into the groupme? I’ve been pending since last week and I was wondering if it was just me lol

does anyone who was accepted know how many people are in the Facebook group? And are most people who were accepted planning on going? I’ve seen that some years have no waitlist movement and some have quite a bit so I’m just tryna come to terms with it if it seems like it prolly won’t happen

• Care
does anyone who was accepted know how many people are in the Facebook group? And are most people who were accepted planning on going? I’ve seen that some years have no waitlist movement and some have quite a bit so I’m just tryna come to terms with it if it seems like it prolly won’t happen
not accepted but i see 114 lol

I am currently in the FB group and group me and no one has really talked about second look. This is probably because they have not sent out an official email for the weekend.

10 or so are admins too... time to obsessively refresh the member count until May 1st 😭
hey, I wouldn’t use the group number as a source of info right now. There are a lot of accepted people who haven’t been able to join the group yet (admins haven’t approved yet) :/

Anyone on the waitlist not have UCSF on the choose your medical school tool?

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone on the waitlist not have UCSF on the choose your medical school tool?
Wait sorry can you explain this further? I’m waitlisted for the JMP and med school, but I didn’t see anything where I needed to take further action 👀

Wait sorry can you explain this further? I’m waitlisted for the JMP and med school, but I didn’t see anything where I needed to take further action 👀
Waitlist status should appear on CYMS, but for some reason UCSF has not updated it. Nothing we can really do on our part tbh

Unfortunately, I wasn’t accepted here. But is someone willing to tell me when the last interview date here was?

Does anyone know the waitlist rules surrounding CYMS? I know that we have to select one school to attend by April 30th, but if I wish to remain on the WL for UCSF while also selecting one of my acceptances, can I?

Does anyone know the waitlist rules surrounding CYMS? I know that we have to select one school to attend by April 30th, but if I wish to remain on the WL for UCSF while also selecting one of my acceptances, can I?
Yea, but you have to select PTE. Only do CTE if you no longer care about the WL or the CTE deadline for your school is up.

does FAFSA still show 'not received' on the financial aid documents & messages for anyone? everything else shows received. any idea on when UCSF will send out financial aid packages?