2023-2024 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 UC San Francisco Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

2. If you are 2023 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words)

3. Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community.
(350 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of California San Francisco School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all. Wondering if one is LGBTQ but not socioeconomically disadvantaged (no financial/health/education disparity), do I write about the experience of being in the LGBTQ community for the secondary essay prompt (difficulty coming out to family, identity crisis for a while, etc)? Or just leave it blank? I would appreciate any advice.

Hello all. Wondering if one is LGBTQ but not socioeconomically disadvantaged (no financial/health/education disparity), do I write about the experience of being in the LGBTQ community for the secondary essay prompt (difficulty coming out to family, identity crisis for a while, etc)? Or just leave it blank? I would appreciate any advice.
If you are referring to the prompt:

3. Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation because it specifically asks about how "this inequity" (referring to socioeconomic, educational, or healthcare disparities) has impacted you and your community. Others may feel differently, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If we are applying to the prime program, what do we select on amcas for e.g.

Regular or

M.D.Combined Medical Degree/Graduate

3. Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)
Wondering if one is LGBTQ but not socioeconomically disadvantaged (no financial/health/education disparity), do I write about the experience of being in the LGBTQ community for the secondary essay prompt (difficulty coming out to family, identity crisis for a while, etc)? Or just leave it blank? I would appreciate any advice.
Confirm with admissions staff on the prompt, but my interpretation follows...

LBGTQ patients are marginalized when it comes to access to healthcare (see Treating Trans Patients - HPSA and Becoming a Student Doctor - HPSA), and the prompt suggests that a desired answer shows an example of your personal experience where you felt you did not receive quality-of-care because you were LGBTQ.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are referring to the prompt:

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation because it specifically asks about how "this inequity" (referring to socioeconomic, educational, or healthcare disparities) has impacted you and your community. Others may feel differently, though.
I'm trans, similar situation otherwise, and I wrote up a response about that. LGBTQ people face clear and significant obstacles to healthcare access (I mean, we're literally having LGBTQ healthcare banned by many states) and I think it's fair game.

Reactions: 1 users
Same prompts?
yup!

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

If you are 2023 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words)

Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)

@wysdoc , the official prompts

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If we apply for JMP are we considered for both JMP and regular? Trying to decide what to choose when submitting the primary...

yup!

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)

If you are 2023 or earlier college graduate, please use the space below to tell us what you have done since completing your undergraduate degree. (350 words)

Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)

Can you just say no to the third and briefly elaborate? Or what should we do?

yup!

@wysdoc

Would you mind sharing the prompts with us? JMP and regular please!!!
I posted the MD prompts above. reposting them here

@wysdoc

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I posted the MD prompts above. reposting them here

@wysdoc
Oops sorry, looks like I missed that. Thank you so much! So there's nothing additional for JMP applicants?

does ucsf send an acknowledgment of primary like UCLA does?

I just saw on UCSF's website that "Typically, you will be notified about submitting a secondary application approximately 3-10 weeks after receipt of your verified AMCAS data."

Looks like most of us will be waiting for a little while then

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if UCSF is MCAT blind until post-interview? I thought I remember seeing something about that a while back and I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly or if this policy is still in place?

Does anyone know if UCSF is MCAT blind until post-interview? I thought I remember seeing something about that a while back and I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly or if this policy is still in place?
They will use your MCAT as part of deciding whom to invite for interviews, but when they hand the interviewers your file it won't show the MCAT.

anyone else having issues with the photo not uploading 🙏🏻

Just got OOS secondary this morning, kinda surprised cuz thought I got screened. None from UCLA still.

• Wow
Any RD OOS applicants received an application yet? Just trying to see if I was screened or if they're doing it in waves.

Any RD OOS applicants received an application yet? Just trying to see if I was screened or if they're doing it in waves.
I have not yet. But I was verified 7/15 so pretty recently. I’ve heard that secondaries are sent out in waves until like December

I'm so sorry, what is a JAMP advisor? Is this something UCSF assigns to applicants?
Sorry, this is why I hate acronyms.

JMP is a program with coordination between USCSF and UC Berkeley.

JAMP is a different program we have in Texas for low income premeds to get extra advising.

I don't think your JMP program has anything like that, but if you have questions about whether their secondary questions are different than UCSF you will need to e-mail that office

• Hmm