2022-2023 University of South Florida (Morsani)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That makes sense. I got interviewed 3/2 (I figure it’s too early to expect a call or letter yet) for USF and it was my only interview so I’m not sure what to expect
You should probably expect to hear on April 15 given your interview date, I guess. They might start doing things on a more rolling basis this late in the cycle, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any who interviewed early February still also waiting to hear back?

2023 USF match list. Anyone else a little concerned by the high number of preliminary years?

Attachments

• 2023 Match Day Results - Morsani College of Medicine 2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
Have you done your background check? Mine didn’t show up until I submitted that
I did it a couple weeks ago. I see other schools in there but still not USF. Guess I'll call and double check where they sent the mail to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 2/1 and was waitlisted for core, I still have not heard about an information session, have other people gotten emails about it? Should I contact the admissions office?

I interviewed on 2/1 and was waitlisted for core, I still have not heard about an information session, have other people gotten emails about it? Should I contact the admissions office?
I interviewed 2/8 and got an email about the info session at the end of february for the first week of March

I didn’t see many derm there
Derm isn't that popular? Looking at the match lists of some of my friend's schools including T20s has 2-4 per year matching derm. We did great this year in surgical subspecialties, rads, and others.

Waitlisted IS CORE. Interviewed 3/2. Letter was dated 3/15. I really hope the waitlist movement is great like everyone says

Does anyone have an actual idea how many people are waitlisted select and get off of it? Looks like USF does not publish that data through amcas.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Any currently medical students who were waitlisted from CORE? I had a couple questions

Current MS1 here. A bunch of people I know personally got off the waitlist for CORE and SELECT so I wouldn't stress. Best shot is to send a letter of intent ASAP if you know it's your #1.

Current MS1 here. A bunch of people I know personally got off the waitlist for CORE and SELECT so I wouldn't stress. Best shot is to send a letter of intent ASAP if you know it's your #1.

Do LOI’s actually carry weight at USF? I’ve seen a lot on SDN about them being essentially ignored by most programs.

Do LOI’s actually carry weight at USF? I’ve seen a lot on SDN about them being essentially ignored by most programs.
Sometimes a letter of interest/update letters won't carry weight, but I would say for a majority of the medical schools you're applying to, a letter of intent does. I know people at multiple medical schools who got off waitlists after sending a letter of intent. Worth it to send if you know where you want to be

Sometimes a letter of interest/update letters won't carry weight, but I would say for a majority of the medical schools you're applying to, a letter of intent does. I know people at multiple medical schools who got off waitlists after sending a letter of intent. Worth it to send if you know where you want to be

Appreciate the response. Already sent mine to USF so now just waiting for May

Appreciate the response. Already sent mine to USF so now just waiting for May
Good luck. The waitlist is not ranked so stay optimistic. WL movement doesn't start until end of April/beginning of May for a good chunk of schools, because that's after people select their schools on CYMS

Good luck. The waitlist is not ranked so stay optimistic. WL movement doesn't start until end of April/beginning of May for a good chunk of schools, because that's after people select their schools on CYMS
What exactly does it mean that the waitlist is not ranked? How do they determine who gets in off the waitlist once a spot opens up?

What exactly does it mean that the waitlist is not ranked? How do they determine who gets in off the waitlist once a spot opens up?

i believe when the WL isn’t ranked they re-review the applicants and make decisions that way.

if we interviewed in early Feb and CYMS still hasn't updated, is it safe to say that's an R? (still haven't got my decision letter in the mail and the admissions office just said they'd resend it next week)

if we interviewed in early Feb and CYMS still hasn't updated, is it safe to say that's an R? (still haven't got my decision letter in the mail and the admissions office just said they'd resend it next week)

I’m pretty sure USF doesn’t reject post II. Just waitlist or A.

You’re probably on the WL… last I checked my cyms didn’t have morsani there and I got the WL letter

For those that went to second look, can you describe how it went and what you thought about the school?

Submitted my LOI . Also for the people who are also WL did you guys get the email for a second look? I was WL 3/15

Hey can anyone help me understand the morsani grading scale? Why would anyone in their right mind choose a scale rather than a pass fail system??!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey can anyone help me understand the morsani grading scale? Why would anyone in their right mind choose a scale rather than a pass fail system??!
Because it makes your residency application more competitive if you normally get good grades

They touched on this at second look, they said that when they initially switched to PF preclin the average step 1 score dropped alot (this was long before it got switched to PF) so they went back to graded preclin. Worth noting it’s scaled, not curved, so theoretically everybody can get the top grade.

I would also point out that preclinical grades simply don't matter.

See page 13 of the NRMP program director survey results: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021-PD-Survey-Report-for-WWW.pdf

"Awards/honors in basic sciences" is near the bottom of their rankings for what they care about when deciding who to interview and how to rank applicants.

Whether you push yourself to honor preclinical classes or just aim for a pass, it makes no difference when you apply for residency. Your MSPE doesn't mention preclinical grades, the AOA selection process doesn't consider preclinical grades, and so on.

Preclinical grading system doesn't end up mattering much. Better to consider the research opportunities of a school, if they have a home program in your specialty of interest, quality of clinical sites, etc.

Hi! I’m a second-year at USF and I’m moving early May so I’m trying to sell big items as a set. I hope it’s okay I post here and if y’all have any questions about USF MCOM, I’d love to answer them. Queen size tempur-pedic, bed frame, white desk, and chair for 600$ available early May. All items only 1yr old :) and if you can pick it up early May I’ll send you pics :)

I would also point out that preclinical grades simply don't matter.

See page 13 of the NRMP program director survey results: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021-PD-Survey-Report-for-WWW.pdf

"Awards/honors in basic sciences" is near the bottom of their rankings for what they care about when deciding who to interview and how to rank applicants.

Whether you push yourself to honor preclinical classes or just aim for a pass, it makes no difference when you apply for residency. Your MSPE doesn't mention preclinical grades, the AOA selection process doesn't consider preclinical grades, and so on.

Preclinical grading system doesn't end up mattering much. Better to consider the research opportunities of a school, if they have a home program in your specialty of interest, quality of clinical sites, etc.
That is true for the most part, but not in all cases.

Firstly, preclinical grades do matter especially when 2 applicants have similar enough experiences where a "pass" vs a competitive score can be the difference. Pre-clinical academic performance is also a talking point for some residency interviews and how it demonstrates resilience and ability to adapt to a new environment, and (from the experience of one of my friends) it can definitely enhance your application where other areas are lacking (i.e. mentioning how you have not so relevant experiences for a competitive residency since you were uncertain at first but demonstrate qualities like discipline by obtaining a competitive score on top of seeking those experiences).

Most importantly, preclinical grades are important for HPSP recipients since they receive a score for preclinical performance and the better you can distinguish yourself from the rest, the more chances you have at securing a VERY competitive residency through the military (like ortho) which is even harder than through the civilian pathway.

Now, residency programs are being more lenient like you said to be fair to pass/fail schools; however, this creates additional bias by undermining the work of those that have a grade to show for their efforts (after all, it has been proven that pass/fail schools have seen a dramatic decrease in the students' actual scores) and they are aware of it. But maybe this will change in the future

I'm going to be in tampa for the weekend and wanted to set up a campus tour but admissions just said they aren't doing tours this week or next week. Does anyone know if I could still go to the campus and look around myself?