2022-2023 University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both, I was complete early august so I still have a very tiny piece of hope😅

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I think they are still scheduling IIs in October (or just started moving into November) so there is still a ton of time on the board, my nervous friends!!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't give up y'all. My cycle I didn't get my II until like the beginning of November and was still able to interview before the holidays. Y'all have plenty of time left. Our admissions dept is just slow tbh. Give it more time.

Reactions: 4 users
They said starting October 17th but I’m feeling like it’ll be a while for most people based on last year!
Current MS1 here — Last year they only gave out a handful of acceptances on the first day (for us, it was Oct 15). After that, they took a while. There are definitely schools where you can assume a rejection/waitlist if a few months have passed since your interview and you haven't heard anything. Based on what I know from my classmates and the class above me regarding when people interviewed/got their A, UNC is definitely not one of those schools. If you don't hear any news on the 17th, by December, or even towards the end of the cycle, you've still got a chance!

Reactions: 3 users
Current MS1 here - feel free to DM me with any questions you have! Plz refrain from specific secondary/interview Qs but I will be as upfront and transparent with anything else you'd like to know!
Hey could you please share your experience with virtual group interview at UNC in terms of how you felt going in vs coming out of it. I am not sure if you can share typical group sizes but did you feel like you had enough opportunity to speak without being one upped by someone.

Great question! I'm not allowed to give specifics about interview day away but I will say that it seems as though they care more about how you interact with other interviewees than the actual content of your answers. Since you're not expected to have any prior knowledge before interview day, just focus on being kind, thoughtful, and a good listener. Definitely voice your opinion when appropriate and try to come up with unique comments/ideas, but most importantly, try your best to link what you're saying to the comments made by other students to create a cohesive conversation with the other interviewees.

I'm not sure how much weight this carries but when I did my group interview, there was one interviewee who talked like 80% of the time and consistently spoke over everyone else. I distinctly remember feeling like I didn't get to speak enough and I noticed similar sentiments from another interviewee based on his facial expressions. Me and that other frustrated interviewee still tired our best to create cohesive, thoughtful answers and have meaningful other-centered conversation, even while being interrupted — he's now one of my MS1 classmates and I haven't seen the rude, talkative student anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to those who have been admitted already!
So just to reassure everyone- the explanation I recently gave about how people are offered interviews, it also applies for who is admitted after their interview. A very small number are admitted early. A very small number are put on the R list. The majority will be considered throughout the cycle as more interviews are done and may not hear an answer for a while. But that does not mean your interview didn't go well or you aren't an excellent applicant. It just means they want to give everyone as equal consideration as they can.

Reactions: 8 users
IS II Sunday 10/16! Complete 8/28

any OOS people know if they start sending the majority of oos II around a certain time? I know my state school doesn't send until Nov/Dec

So I interviewed 10/3 and am wondering if people have heard anything yet? I am still waiting haha 😅
I am sure others are waiting from earlier than that.... many in the same boat.

Last edited:
I'm feeling really discouraged right now. I'm a reapplicant to UNC and I received a II by this time last year from here but nothing yet from here so far. My application is stronger since I've completed 30 credits of a post bacc and I completed my application in July so I'm not sure what to think at all. Just feel real poopy 😢

I'd love to hear from other reapps about your experience so far : )

I'm feeling really discouraged right now. I'm a reapplicant to UNC and I received a II by this time last year from here but nothing yet from here so far. My application is stronger since I've completed 30 credits of a post bacc and I completed my application in July so I'm not sure what to think at all. Just feel real poopy 😢

I think they're moving a lot slower this year than last year. This applies to most, if not all, schools. Keep the faith!

Don't lose hope. I was a reapp and decided to improve every aspect of my application within my ability to make it painfully obvious I had improved my profile. I don't know about your metrics, but take a step back and ask yourself if you feel like you've significantly improved your application (more patient hrs, improved GPA, better MCAT etc). If UNC doesn't think that you've improved "enough," they are less likely to give an interview on a reapp. Rooting for you though. Best of luck

Don't lose hope. I was a reapp and decided to improve every aspect of my application within my ability to make it painfully obvious I had improved my profile. I don't know about your metrics, but take a step back and ask yourself if you feel like you've significantly improved your application (more patient hrs, improved GPA, better MCAT etc). If UNC doesn't think that you've improved "enough," they are less likely to give an interview on a reapp. Rooting for you though. Best of luck

Thank you for the kind words! I felt the major drawback on my last application was my GPA coupled with applying very late in the cycle (like October) so I enrolled in a very rigorous program and significantly improved my GPA. I was also able to get better/stronger letters of rec and have added more clinical hours through working as a scribe. I applied as soon as applications came out to ensure that a late app didn’t hinder me this time and I had everything reviewed by several people so I feel confident in my writing. Honestly I busted my ass last year and I don’t think I could’ve done any more without negatively impacting my health. I understand I’m not entitled to an interview from anywhere, just generally frustrated by the lack of transparency that is med school admissions. The cycle isn’t over yet so I’m trying to keep my head up but yeah it definitely sucks to not have any word from here :/

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Thank you for the kind words! I felt the major drawback on my last application was my GPA coupled with applying very late in the cycle (like October) so I enrolled in a very rigorous program and significantly improved my GPA. I was also able to get better/stronger letters of rec and have added more clinical hours through working as a scribe. I applied as soon as applications came out to ensure that a late app didn’t hinder me this time and I had everything reviewed by several people so I feel confident in my writing. Honestly I busted my ass last year and I don’t think I could’ve done any more without negatively impacting my health. I understand I’m not entitled to an interview from anywhere, just generally frustrated by the lack of transparency that is med school admissions. The cycle isn’t over yet so I’m trying to keep my head up but yeah it definitely sucks to not have any word from here :/
Are you IS or OOS? I'm a reapp that submitted in July and only got my II a bit ago. Could be even slower for OOS

IS ORM LM 74. Complete in July. Confused on why no II from UNC. Anyone in the same boat? Very stressful. Are they done with July completes -ORM? Someone mentioned they go by chronological order.

IS ORM LM 74. Complete in July. Confused on why no II from UNC. Anyone in the same boat? Very stressful. Are they done with July completes -ORM? Someone mentioned they go by chronological order.
I was complete in July and am LM 82 in the same boat. Could just be fit, idk

Re-app and I would have thought II would’ve been sooner. Still waiting for a wave of rejections or II. We’re almost into November and this thread is slow with the Rs, II, and As.

Also a reapp who got an II early oct last year and havent heard back

We are plentiful. Hoping for a wave of II soon!

I'm also an IS reapplicant who interviewed in January after submitting my secondary in September the last time I applied. This time I submitted in July and have improved my application by completely overhauling my personal statement, gaining 2,000 clinical hours working for a UNC SOM clinic over two gap years, seeking out new volunteer opportunities, and getting improved LORs, among other things. No word from UNC yet either but hopeful for the opportunity to show them my growth.

Last edited:
  • Care
Just curious about one A and then no more... at least on SDN.
If this helps, I looked at last year’s forum and remember that it was similarly slow! It seems like first week of November might be more fruitful and it was on a monthly basis after that. They were also one of the earliest interviews.

Reactions: 5 users
If this helps, I looked at last year’s forum and remember that it was similarly slow! It seems like first week of November might be more fruitful and it was on a monthly basis after that. They were also one of the earliest interviews.
Just to add on.... Based on the last year and the year before that, it seems like first/second Tuesday of November, first/second Tuesday of December, and towards the end of January!

at least last year the portals were semi-updated with info like “decided” or “awaiting decision”…it just sucks not having any idea whats going on with your app :(

For everyone yet to hear back, do yalls portals just say “payment received” as the only update under recent activities?

at least last year the portals were semi-updated with info like “decided” or “awaiting decision”…it just sucks not having any idea whats going on with your app :(

Yeah at least they’ve been consistent.. so hopefully some of us will hear back within the next two weeks

Reactions: 1 user
Lol y'all there has been more than one A, but not everyone uses this website (and for good reason). I also tell people this every year, but that portal doesn't really accurately portray your app status. Everyone likes to think it does and tracks it obsessively (myself included), but it doesn't. Until you hear from us, anything is possible.