2022-2023 University of Houston (Fertitta)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today!
Anybody know how many applicants they're interviewing?
Congrats !! Looks like you proved our OOS suspicions wrong :rofl:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For anyone with an II, would you mind sharing your completion date?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
these early completion dates for interview invites are giving me hope as someone who was complete later in the cycle :smack:

Reactions: 3 users
.makes it all the more anxiety inducing! haha
It is a happy moment since it is very hard to get an OOS invite for such a small pool and a mission oriented school. Focus on doing well in MMI since that is the hard part.

Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (750 characters, optional)

For this prompt, is this supposed to be the adversity essay? It seems to be so due to the optional nature. If not, could I alternatively discuss a positive impact that guided my decision to pursue a MPH?

For this prompt, is this supposed to be the adversity essay? It seems to be so due to the optional nature. If not, could I alternatively discuss a positive impact that guided my decision to pursue a MPH?
I think what they are getting at in this question:
Did you need to work during school to earn money?
Did you have to care for younger siblings while parents worked, cutting into your homework time?
Did these kinds of duties make it impossible for you to be in after-school sports, band, organizations?

In addition to @wysdoc's input above, I would add that this is giving you an opportunity to provide input in terms of what you did outside of your studies that you were not able to cover elsewhere in the application. My view is that even if you have a perfect GPA, you can discuss something you did in addition to your studies and state you did those things but you were able to cover your studies.

Other obligations covers pretty much anything you did outside of school that you spent time on.

II today!
Anybody know how many applicants they're interviewing?
For Class of 2026 we had 270 interviews for 60 spots. Might have more interviews this year, but the spots will still be set at 60!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for interview day?
Do as much as you can in practicing MMI. There is no one on one here as far as I know and if you are not good at MMI, it is hard to get through.

There will be 5000 people applying and 300 interview slots at most which makes it 6% or fewer. So it is your slot to lose at this point because at least 1 in 3 will be admitted.

Hi all! Has anyone who transmitted 7/28 or after recieved a secondary?

For the section “I have prior experience in community or public health”, what kinds of experiences would fit the category?

Free/Medicaid clinics, community vaccination drives, public health research to name a few

For the section “I have prior experience in community or public health”, what kinds of experiences would fit the category?
In addition to what Numpostrophe said, I'm fairly certain that patient and community health education also count (i.e you were on a campaign to spread awareness about flu vaccinations)

Is the interview at UH strictly MMI? or will they also ask questions about our application and our pre-med journey?

Is the interview at UH strictly MMI? or will they also ask questions about our application and our pre-med journey?
Strictly MMI! They won't ask anything about your application

• Sad
Is U of H COM open to accepting ORM? I remember something about the school that made it selective with applicants. maybe it chose majority female? does anyone know who should avoid applying here under specific conditions?

Is U of H COM open to accepting ORM? I remember something about the school that made it selective with applicants. maybe it chose majority female? does anyone know who should avoid applying here under specific conditions?
Disclaimer: I'm also an applicant this cycle so everything that I say is based on my own research into UHCOM

UHCOM's mission centers around underserved communities in Houston/East Texas. Because of this, there is an incentive to admit applicants who show a keen interest in working with underserved populations and in primary care. However, I cannot imagine that this means they will not admit ORM applicants. Rather, they are likely more focused on the applicant's goals for their medical career and their prior experiences with underserved communities. Often, people that come from underserved communities will opt to give back to those communities in the future through their profession, and will express this interest through their activities, personal statements, etc. Because of this, ethnic/racial minorities, LGBTQ+ folks, and folks who come from low SES backgrounds tend to compose a larger part of the class of mission-driven schools like UHCOM. Once again though, this does not mean that UHCOM will "bar" admission for an applicant solely based on their background or "ORM" status. Rather, UHCOM is looking for students who will best carry out their mission.

Last edited:

Of course we accept ORM. You can find class demographics with a simple google search. We are ethnically and racially diverse.

Reactions: 2 users
Strictly MMI! They won't ask anything about your application
Is this type of interview (strictly MMI) only done at UH or does this happen at other schools as well? I feel like this is strange as we wouldn't get the opportunity to elaborate on our experiences and our journey.

Is this type of interview (strictly MMI) only done at UH or does this happen at other schools as well? I feel like this is strange as we wouldn't get the opportunity to elaborate on our experiences and our journey.
UTMB also has MMI but I believe there is one question where they let you sell yourself.

one of their MMI stations could be composed of traditional questions?

There are several TX schools using this.
Pour out your motivations in your essays!

Any advice for interview day?
I think the best advice I can give is not to over prepare. I was one that wasn’t about that life of going through hundreds of MMI scenarios beforehand or thinking up every possible answer to the normal questions. I would say knowing your primary and secondary inside and out will give you great personalized tools to answer most questions based on experiences you’ve already had. Also, knowing about the school (not just Fertitta) and any specific programs or curriculum things that interest you there can make you stand out as someone interested in a program.

If you’re going to prepare anything besides that, I’d keep it to the same general things you would do for any school: why do you want to go to (insert school here), why do I want to to do medicine, what are my strengths and weaknesses, and other more basic things like that.

Now, I’m not a professional interviewer or an interview coach, so take that all with a grain of salt. Do whatever works best for you that won’t stress you out!!

Interview invite for me today too. Complete July 26th. Interview 8-18. I was waitlisted last year, and after talking to ADCOMs this summer feeling pretty sure this is my year! My friend and I are both reapplicants and both in the same Master's program at UH that the ADCOMs directed us to....and we're interviewing on the same day :)

Reactions: 4 users
Interview invite for me today too. Complete July 26th. Interview 8-18. I was waitlisted last year, and after talking to ADCOMs this summer feeling pretty sure this is my year! My friend and I are both reapplicants and both in the same Master's program at UH that the ADCOMs directed us to....and we're interviewing on the same day :)
complete the same day but no interview :/ hoping to claim this energy later in the cycle !

I was complete a week earlier, do y'all think it's chronological?

what advice did adcoms give you that you are willing to share?

I was complete a week earlier, do y'all think it's chronological?
"Some people are more equal than others" if someone completed on 7/26 and got an invite on 8/11 they are on a different path. They know the adcoms and adcoms know them!

In what order are II sent out if it's not chronological? Does this mean it really doesn't matter when you submit?
for example if they get 50 applications the same day, they may invite the ones with higher grades first or the ones with closer ties to Houston first.

Is that the last Texas school or are you waiting on more?

I wish that was all of them haha! No love from A&M, UTSW or Baylor yet. I'm a non-trad, though, so definitely wasn't expecting anything form the latter two. Honestly, wasn't expecting any of this.

I wish that was all of them haha! No love from A&M, UTSW or Baylor yet. I'm a non-trad, though, so definitely wasn't expecting anything form the latter two. Honestly, wasn't expecting any of this.
Baylor and UTSW - you either need to meet their numbers or institutional needs to get early invites or else it will be a bit later. A&M will get to you soon.

Baylor and UTSW - you either need to meet their numbers or institutional needs to get early invites or else it will be a bit later. A&M will get to you soon.

I have definitely heard that Baylor and UTSW send out early invites to those with top-tier stats. I am not that person lol. A&M is a great school and I hope I do get the opportunity to interview there. I know this many II's is a luxury, but I am hopeful that this number of interviews will help me identify differences between the schools and have a better idea of where I might fit. Just hoping I end up with an acceptance, like everyone else!

"Some people are more equal than others" if someone completed on 7/26 and got an invite on 8/11 they are on a different path. They know the adcoms and adcoms know them!
I was waitlisted, and this matters for some schools. Some TX schools waitlist people as soft rejection, others (like UH) only waitlist people they're really serious about.

what advice did adcoms give you that you are willing to share?
The best direct advice I've gotten was to be myself and not overthink it. You really can't pre-write answers to MMI- they can tell that you've done that. Also, my life and application reflect my commitment to Houston, primary care, and learning about the social determinants of health. UH really looks at people holistically, so no one piece is more important than the other, outside of an interest in primary care. They are screening applicants more than they did last year.

I was waitlisted, and this matters for some schools. Some TX schools waitlist people as soft rejection, others (like UH) only waitlist people they're really serious about.
I know another student who waited until last moment for them to clear the waitlist and then enrolled at another private MD school. It was very disappointing that UH never released their waitlist in June even after they started their early orientation.

A&M is also very kind to reapplicants. Not so sure about other Texas schools. Good that UH is helping reapplicants. It looks like you are almost in the first batch of interviewees?

Good luck!

I know another student who waited until last moment for them to clear the waitlist and then enrolled at another private MD school. It was very disappointing that UH never released their waitlist in June even after they started their early orientation.

A&M is also very kind to reapplicants. Not so sure about other Texas schools. Good that UH is helping reapplicants. It looks like you are almost in the first batch of interviewees?

Good luck!
Thanks!! Yeah, I am the first interview day :) I only want to go to UH, so I'll just keep building my application and reapplying. I recognize this is terrible advice for other people, but that's my plan.