2022-2023 University of Houston (Fertitta)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, could someone clarify what "social service" refers to? Would volunteering at a domestic violence shelter count as a social service?
I'm also a bit confused on the definition of "public or community health"; would teaching health education classes be included in this? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is section 2 truly optional for the secondary? Everything that has affected me I already put on my application haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an official source for what constitutes an underserved area? According to the "Rural Health Information Hub" I'm in a county which has a partial shortage. Don't know if there's a source which trumps all others when it comes to this. Also can someone explain exactly what "community health" is? I've found multiple definitions.

Here's a site that may help. MUA Find

I hear 60 students will be accepted. Do you know how many will receive secondaries and how many will receive interview invites? Do you have any guesses?

I have no clue. I can ask admissions tomorrow what their numbers were from this past cycle to give you an idea.

For the question: Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in TMDSAS primary application. Could a class you took in college count as an activity/life experience since we listed classes in the application?

Has anyone who's app transmitted 6/24 or later received a secondary ?

For the question: Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in TMDSAS primary application. Could a class you took in college count as an activity/life experience since we listed classes in the application?
You dont have any medical service activities on your application?

I do, but I also talked about them for the other question (section 1a) So I wanted to maybe add something new
1a and 3 are related and they are not independent of each other. They are actually asking you to use what you listed in your application for activities for upto 3 activities to answer. U of H takes their mission seriously and so I wouldn't try to derive the answer using a class when their question is very specific.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who's app transmitted 6/24 or later received a secondary ?
I had my app transmitted on 06/27 after submitting on 05/29 due to residency stuff. I just received a secondary invitation to UH about 10 minutes ago. In-state.

Last edited:
received a secondary !! IS and transmitted 6/24 :highfive:

Last edited:
Hey y’all! Current MS 1 here. I believe that our class, which is the first class of 60, was picked from about 200 interviews. I’m not sure of the number of secondaries that went out, nor am I sure that number is a set thing. The school is very very very mission oriented. They have said on podcasts and during interviews that the only time your numerical stats are taken into account is for your secondary invite. Past this, interview invites are truly dependent on your fit to the mission based on your essays and experiences. I would HIGHLY suggest listening to the Courage Session that Enrique Jasso Jr. hosted (Ep. 84 of the Inside Health Education podcast by TMDSAS and THES) to get a good idea of what our school is like! Good luck y’all!

Reactions: 10 users
Hey y’all! Current MS 1 here. I believe that our class, which is the first class of 60, was picked from about 200 interviews. I’m not sure of the number of secondaries that went out, nor am I sure that number is a set thing. The school is very very very mission oriented. They have said on podcasts and during interviews that the only time your numerical stats are taken into account is for your secondary invite. Past this, interview invites are truly dependent on your fit to the mission based on your essays and experiences. I would HIGHLY suggest listening to the Courage Session that Enrique Jasso Jr. hosted (Ep. 84 of the Inside Health Education podcast by TMDSAS and THES) to get a good idea of what our school is like! Good luck y’all!

What does it look like for OOS students? I know chances are even slimmer given tx requirements but does your class have the max OOS folks possible?

What does it look like for OOS students? I know chances are even slimmer given tx requirements but does your class have the max OOS folks possible?
I know requirement wise we can have at most 6 OOS matriculants (10% of 60 person class). I do not believe we have that many in the 2026 class. However, that can totally change per class depending on what applicants have to offer in this application cycle. If you like the school and feel like you fit into the mission, then please don’t count yourself out!

I know requirement wise we can have at most 6 OOS matriculants (10% of 60 person class). I do not believe we have that many in the 2026 class. However, that can totally change per class depending on what applicants have to offer in this application cycle. If you like the school and feel like you fit into the mission, then please don’t count yourself out!
I haven't yet! submitted my secondary so we'll see! thanks for your input and podcast req :)

Any idea when invites may begin going out?

Any idea when invites may begin going out?
According to their website, first interviews are in September. Looking at last year's thread, first II were on 8/4 with interviews beginning 8/19.

Reactions: 1 users
For section 1B did ya'll limit to talking about one activity per "area of medicine" ?? I have multiple activities for all of them and am finding it difficult to fit everything.

For section 1B did ya'll limit to talking about one activity per "area of medicine" ?? I have multiple activities for all of them and am finding it difficult to fit everything.
I did 1. You have more room in section 2 for the other activities.

For section 1, is it 300 characters for each experience or total?

For section 1, is it 300 characters for each experience or total?
Each of them is a checkbox that opens up a 300 character textbox. Still pretty limited so fit what you can.

Waitlisted last year, and just got a secondary! Can't wait. This is my dream school. Currently in a master's program at UH that was developed for people applying to medical school. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted last year, and just got a secondary! Can't wait. This is my dream school. Currently in a master's program at UH that was developed for people applying to medical school. Fingers crossed.
I'm surprised they sent secondaries on a weekend. I figured most adcoms would take the weekends off.

I'm surprised they sent secondaries on a weekend. I figured most adcoms would take the weekends off.
Sorry, by "just got" I meant yesterday afternoon :)
it was the same day they said they were reviewing my application though, so a pretty fast turnaround

Congrats!

Did they waitlist you without getting a secondary last year?

Congrats!

Did they waitlist you without getting a secondary last year?
No! A month after I submitted my secondary I got an interview invite. I interviewed in August, no pre-match offer in October, then waitlisted this March.

How many pre-match offers does UH send?
We don't know exactly, but last year I counted about a dozen just on SDN so that's a good number for a school of this class size.
These prematch offers were spread out between Oct 15 to late January.

Overall, only about 1 in 7 TMDSAS accepted applicants get any pre-match offers.

Last edited:
We don't know exactly, but last year I counted about a dozen just on SDN so that's a good number for a school of this class size.

Interesting stats! Do we know what the MCAT scores and GPAs were for those who got a pre-match to UH?

Interesting stats! Do we know what the MCAT scores and GPAs were for those who got a pre-match to UH?

Page 4 on has prematch offers with stats in the posts or signatures.

Last edited:

Does this 1/7 include just accepted applicants or all applicants?

Current MS1 here to answer any questions (when I can lol). Yes, you can get in without primary care experience. Yes, you can pursue other things besides primary care. Our class received 6 full tuition scholarships (that I’m aware of). It will likely be that or more for the next class.
I suggest reading over the schools site (click on the “about” tab) and keeping the mission points/values in mind while writing your secondary.

Reactions: 9 users
Wow congratulations! I wonder if they're starting with a selection of OOS apps.

II today!
Anybody know how many applicants they're interviewing?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users