2022-2023 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From their secondary: "Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)

I am half Mexican, and have always been unsure whether that makes me URM or not. My grandparents immigrated from Mexico right before they had my mom, and I grew up speaking Spanish, though it didn't stick past the age of ~6. But I have white skin and was raised in a financially stable household in a relatively wealthy city. Am I able to / should I answer this question and talk about my ethnicity even if I don't feel that my access to education or healthcare has been hindered by it in any way growing up?
You don't have to be URM to be able to answer this question. If you don't feel like you were personally impacted, you can focus more on ways other people are (especially if you can back that knowledge up with experiences).

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to be URM to be able to answer this question. If you don't feel like you were personally impacted, you can focus more on ways other people are (especially if you can back that knowledge up with experiences).
Okay thanks, I think that'll be my plan. I just didn't want "not technically answering the question" to be a point against me.

Out of curiosity, if I apply for the PRIME program, I'm still in the regular MD applicant pool right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone having issues with the secondary portal? Keep getting an error code when I try to login

Did anyone receive an interview invite? I thought they sent those out in early September, but on cycletrack someone said they received a secondary on July 22nd. Probably a mistake?

Did anyone receive an interview invite? I thought they sent those out in early September, but on cycletrack someone said they received a secondary on July 22nd. Probably a mistake?
I think many of us received secondaries in July. It's the illusive interview invite that we all await...

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS (No ties) secondary received, LM 73, WARS 89. URM, 515 MCAT and 3.92.

Last edited:
What do people do for the expand upon activities?

Do you just write more about stuff you already talked about?

I want to talk about two ECs for the activities question, but they are pretty different from each other. Is it better to talk about only one or should I write two separate essays (like 250 words each).

I want to talk about two ECs for the activities question, but they are pretty different from each other. Is it better to talk about only one or should I write two separate essays (like 250 words each).
I would use your judgement to see if you can include both in a way that flows well. I would not write two completely separate essays with no link between the two.

Is this a required question even if you're ORM?

Did you guys indicate which activity before elaborating in the 500 word prompt?

how long did it take for y'all to get a secondary from UCSF after being verified/processed?

Reactions: 1 users
IS, still waiting for secondary

Please don’t lose hope! I’m starting my MS1 year at UCSF tomorrow, and it took me more than a month to get my secondary. I sent my primary in September too, so you would expect that there would be less backlog by then.

Reactions: 8 users
What’s the criteria for getting a secondary? Is it a holistic review?

OOS, still waiting for secondary, verified July 13th. ;)
I'm on a similar boat, I got verified 7/15 and I still haven't gotten a secondary. I'm worried about being down the line in the rolling admissions queue. LM:70, WARS: 71, URM (technically by UCSF's criteria; considered ORM at most schools)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Are people who are ORM answering the 3rd prompt. I left the same prompt from other schools blank, since I wasn’t really marginalized or anything. Are you guys trying to answer this prompt? I have experience in working with underserved communities, but don’t if it would be pushing it too much by talking about that here, since it specifically asks whether you marginalized.

Are people who are ORM answering the 3rd prompt. I left the same prompt from other schools blank, since I wasn’t really marginalized or anything. Are you guys trying to answer this prompt? I have experience in working with underserved communities, but don’t if it would be pushing it too much by talking about that here, since it specifically asks whether you marginalized.
I left it blank here and in other secondaries where similar questions were asked.

Is being SES disadvantaged (and having that impact a large part of your life) considered being marginalized?

I left it blank here and in other secondaries where similar questions were asked.
Okay good, cause I saw someone saw you can still write it if your ORM and not SES disadvantaged, by talking about community and stuff, but thought it would extending it too much.