2022-2023 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone help me make sense of this question:

"Please list all states of residence including where you have had an official address within the past 10 years."

What does the "including where you have had an official address" portion mean? If I am a resident of state B but go to college in state B and have a mailing address there, would I list both states A and B or just A? In other words, should you list states you were never technically a resident of if you at some point had an address there?

And do we only need to go back 10 years for states of residence, or do you include all states of residence but only go back 10 years for states where you had an official address but were not a resident?
I am listing my state of residence, the state that I went to college in, and the state that I am currently living. My "official" address for government stuff is my home address, but I did have addresses in both my college state and with my current job, so I feel like I should include them. But if anyone else knows for sure, please let us know!

Members don't see this ad.

Would someone be able to share the JMP and PRIME-US prompts for me? Curious what those will be this cycle. Thank you so much!

Hey y'all! I've heard that mission-fit is really important for UCSF, but haven't seemed to be able to find anything specific about the UCSF mission aside from people insinuating "what you would expect for a school in San Fran". Does anyone have any insight on this? Like anyone I'd love to go here, but am just curious about my chances of getting a secondary.

Context: I am an OOS nontrad with a former career in ecological conservation, am trans & queer, did ~2 years as an AmeriCorp building a trans health program for homeless trans folks, and have >1000 hours in non-clinical volunteering with LGBTQ+ youth. Pretty much my entire app is built around trans and LGBTQ+ health access tbh. Lower stats in undergrad due to homelessness (3.2-3.3 range), but a good post-bacc (3.8ish). Thank you all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten rejections yet? I dont have a secondary application but also do not have a rejection

If i havent received a UCSF secondary invite by now, is it safe to say I wont get one? deciding whether or not to prewrite theirs...

OOS MSTP secondary received, LORs received by AMCAS yesterday (letter packet) so I have no idea if they actually have them yet

Members don't see this ad :)
IS secondary received tonight; verified 6/7

Is it normal I still haven't received a secondary? I'm IS URM with high MCAT and GPA. Also verified 6/3. Getting nervous :(

• Sad
Just from stalking the previous threads from past years, a lot of people who are verified very early get secondary later (like in August) There was someone who was verified day one and got the secondary 14 weeks later lol. Also a lot of people who got the secondary late who ended up getting in. UCSF very random school. I think we will be okay.

Reactions: 7 users
URM has no bearing in CA
UCSF is still committed to having a class with high URM percentage despite affirmative action being banned in CA. I think 30 or so percent of their matriculants are URM

Reactions: 2 users
52X MCAT and 3.9 GPA, URM, but no secondary :(((( starting to get worried (verified 7/11)

Reactions: 1 users
Just received secondary submitted 6/3, verified 6/27. I recommend people who submitted 6/4 or 6/5 to start prewriting. Good luck everyone!

Don't stress about not hearing back about secondaries yet! Got in here last year, verified late July and didn't get a secondary until a couple days before Christmas. Interviewed Jan and got an offer in Feb.

• Wow
Reactions: 12 users
just received my secondary ~5 min ago. in state & verified 6/3/22!

Last edited:
quick question - would lgbt+ count for #3? I usually only write about it if it specifically mentions it, because while my community has been marginalized, I havent.

for question number one, is it okay to use your activities to pivot into a why us? they don't have a space for it so I'm leading towards that but I'm not entirely sure if its a good idea

for question number one, is it okay to use your activities to pivot into a why us? they don't have a space for it so I'm leading towards that but I'm not entirely sure if its a good idea
I think it would be very wise to incorporate a paragraph that would answer the "why us?" question. Be sure to be specific about how UCSF's programs complement your activities!

I think it would be very wise to incorporate a paragraph that would answer the "why us?" question. Be sure to be specific about how UCSF's programs complement your activities!
Do you think it would hurt me if I just talked about the things I've been doing this summer (both not super related to medicine) and then related them back to my desire for medicine?

Last edited:
Do you think it would hurt me if I just talked about the things I've been doing this summer (both not super related to medicine) and then related them back to my desire for medicine?
There is already a space for doing that in another prompt (the, "what have you been/plan to be doing since graduating?" prompt.) Use this space to expand your narrative as an applicant (who you are as a person), relate it back to some valuable skill(s) you will learned and will bring to medicine or why it was meaningful, and, ideally, include something about how UCSF's programs will complement this activity or allow you to use/cultivate those skills you learned.

This is how I am approaching the question anyway.

There is already a space for doing that in another prompt (the, "what have you been/plan to be doing since graduating?" prompt.) Use this space to expand your narrative as an applicant (who you are as a person), relate it back to some valuable skill(s) you will learned and will bring to medicine or why it was meaningful, and, ideally, include something about how UCSF's programs will complement this activity or allow you to use/cultivate those skills you learned.

This is how I am approaching the question anyway.

I haven't graduated yet though, should I have still put it up there? I didn't relate my answer super well back to UCSF though so I might have messed up there

I haven't graduated yet though, should I have still put it up there? I didn't relate my answer super well back to UCSF though so I might have messed up there
In that case, I think that's fine. If you really wanted to use it, you could use talk about what you plan to do upon graduating and how you hope to grow as a person through these planned experiences.

The question does not explicitly ask you to relate it back to UCSF, I just think it's kind of a bonus point if you do so. If you simply stuck to the prompt and answered it well, you'll be fine and hopefully garner one of those coveted interview invites.

I didn't know they had such a hard screen. Where did you read this from?

Not sure if there is a more official source for how many people get secondaries but from what I've seen the 40% estimate seems pretty consistent

Last edited:
Has anyone verified 7/11 are later received a secondary? Is there certain score cutoffs for secondaries?

Has anyone verified 7/11 are later received a secondary? Is there certain score cutoffs for secondaries?
I was verified 6/23 and haven't received a UCSF secondary lmao.

This was taken directly from their website though:

"After UCSF receives your application from AMCAS and performs a preliminary review, selected candidates will be invited to complete a secondary application. Typically, you will be notified about submitting a secondary application approximately 3-10 weeks after receipt of your verified AMCAS data."

I was verified 6/23 and haven't received a UCSF secondary lmao.

This was taken directly from their website though:

"After UCSF receives your application from AMCAS and performs a preliminary review, selected candidates will be invited to complete a secondary application. Typically, you will be notified about submitting a secondary application approximately 3-10 weeks after receipt of your verified AMCAS data."
Oh shoot wut bruh

Would someone be able to share the JMP and PRIME-US prompts for me? Curious what those will be this cycle. Thank you so much!
Sorry just wanted to bump this! If anyone can share the JMP prompt that would be awesome. Thanks so much.

From their secondary: "Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? Please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community. (350 words)

I am half Mexican, and have always been unsure whether that makes me URM or not. My grandparents immigrated from Mexico right before they had my mom, and I grew up speaking Spanish, though it didn't stick past the age of ~6. But I have white skin and was raised in a financially stable household in a relatively wealthy city. Am I able to / should I answer this question and talk about my ethnicity even if I don't feel that my access to education or healthcare has been hindered by it in any way growing up?