2022-2023 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone here still on the AL since Oct?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Wishing everyone here the best of luck this week! Hope people here are able to get off the waitlist :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an estimate on how many people are on the waitlist?

got the A this morning after being waitlisted for months so don't lose hope yet! anyone know if there is an admitted students facebook or groupme?

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Got the A off WL yesterday. Just withdrew and hope the spot goes to one of y'all! Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone waitlisted in November still waiting? See waitlist moving, but losing hope at the same time. Also, when do they usually update the tracker, cause its been at 532 but I see some more As being reported.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone waitlisted in November still waiting? See waitlist moving, but losing hope at the same time. Also, when do they usually update the tracker, cause its been at 532 but I see some more As being reported.
I’ve been waitlisted since Nov

I’ve been waitlisted since October! I’m on waitlists everywhere with no As. I want to go to Wayne soooo badly. Wishing you all the best in this season…

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been waitlisted since October! I’m on waitlists everywhere with no As. I want to go to Wayne soooo badly. Wishing you all the best in this season…

Waitlisted in march but same boat. It’s hard out here

Accepted off the waitlist today after W in October, will be declining admission--good luck everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
I don't see a Facebook group for the 2027 class but see one for the class of 2026. Guess the 2027 class group has not been made yet.

A from waitlist today. I got the email at 4:30. Does anyone know if the financial aid and scholarship info will be sent out separately or where can I find info regarding that?

Also go the A a couple of minutes ago! Might decline though, best of luck to the rest who are waiting.

Accepted earlier today! 3.9/516, OOS. Waitlisted in October. My first and only acceptance!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I remember hearing during interview day that preclinical grades are solely determined by NBME exams, can someone confirm this? I was looking at the M1 exam schedule and there's cumulative and final exams on top of NBMEs.

Accepted earlier today, will be attending 3.7 512, Ca resident waitlisted in Nov

Reactions: 4 users
I remember hearing during interview day that preclinical grades are solely determined by NBME exams, can someone confirm this? I was looking at the M1 exam schedule and there's cumulative and final exams on top of NBMEs.
Current M2 here. During M1, you have faculty written exams and one NBME exam. For us, we had Exam 1 (15%), Exam 2 (20%), Exam 3 (30%), NBME (15%), Gross Anatomy Practical (15%), and participation (5%). These were held during weeks 3, 6, and 11 (exam 3, NBME, and GA practical were all during the final week of the block). All of these exams, besides the NBME exam, are faculty authored. Exam 2 has material from Exam 1, Exam 3 has material from Exam 2, and NBME is cumulative from the whole block. This all applies to your Human Bodies Foundation Course, which is the main course you take throughout M1. You need a 70% overall in order to pass each block. During M2, you only have 3 NBME exams & participation (5%) that make up your grade.

Reactions: 1 user
Current M2 here. During M1, you have faculty written exams and one NBME exam. For us, we had Exam 1 (15%), Exam 2 (20%), Exam 3 (30%), NBME (15%), Gross Anatomy Practical (15%), and participation (5%). These were held during weeks 3, 6, and 11 (exam 3, NBME, and GA practical were all during the final week of the block). All of these exams, besides the NBME exam, are faculty authored. Exam 2 has material from Exam 1, Exam 3 has material from Exam 2, and NBME is cumulative from the whole block. This all applies to your Human Bodies Foundation Course, which is the main course you take throughout M1. You need a 70% overall in order to pass each block. During M2, you only have 3 NBME exams & participation (5%) that make up your grade.
Can you tell me how you feel about faculty exams? How would you compare that to MSU's setup? Also, do you feel like Wayne has a rigorous anatomy block? with dissections or prosections? and does that affect your learning, especially if you're interested in surgery.

Any current students who wouldn’t mind giving advice on how to study/keep up with everything in year 1?

Can you tell me how you feel about faculty exams? How would you compare that to MSU's setup? Also, do you feel like Wayne has a rigorous anatomy block? with dissections or prosections? and does that affect your learning, especially if you're interested in surgery.
I am not too familiar with MSU's setup, but I can tell you about my experience here. The faculty authored exams were fair. I never felt like I was being tricked with an exam questions. It was moreso do I know the material or do I not, but the lectures do provide you with all the information you need for the exams. You also get weekly formative quizzes (they aren't graded and totally optional) that accurately represent the exam questions in terms of content, difficulty, and format. There is also a review day were each faulty holds an 1-1.5 hour long review session the Monday of the week of your exam and they provide additional practice questions there and highlight topics they are most likely to test on.

You have Gross Anatomy for the entire year, but block one is MSK. So you are learning the majority of the major muscles, innervations, actions, etc. during block one and then you'll start learning the same material for the organ-based systems during blocks 2 and 3. It is a fully hands-on dissection. You will have a couple prosections in the center of the room for you to reference and there is a prosected cadaver, but each group of 6 students has their own cadaver that they will be working with for the whole year. I will admit that sometimes I was frustrated during the dissections just because I didn't fully know the material at that point, so it made the dissection a little more difficult. HOWEVER, looking back on it now, especially because I have shadowed a lot in the surgical specialty that I am interested in, GA was incredibly valuable. I could not imagine going into a surgical speciality or even just my surgery clinical rotation during third year without anatomy lab (specifically a dissection anatomy lab) because you learn so many skills and it is so different to learn by seeing the actual muscles, tissues, organs, etc. on an actual cadaver vs. from Anki prosection cards or from a textbook

Last edited:
I am not too familiar with MSU's setup, but I can tell you about my experience here. The faculty authored exams were fair. I never felt like I was being tricked with an exam questions. It was moreso do I know the material or do I not, but the lectures do provide you with all the information you need for the exams. You also get weekly formative quizzes (they aren't graded and totally optional) that accurately represent the exam questions in terms of content, difficulty, and format. There is also a review day were each faulty holds an 1-1.5 hour long review session the Monday of the week of your exam and they provide additional practice questions there and highlight topics they are most likely to test on.

You have Gross Anatomy for the entire year, but block one is MSK. So you are learning the majority of the major muscles, innervations, actions, etc. during block one and then you'll start learning the same material for the organ-based systems during blocks 2 and 3. It is a fully hands-on dissection. You will have a couple prosections in the center of the room for you to reference and there is a prosected cadaver, but each group of 6 students has their own cadaver that they will be working with for the whole year. I will admit that sometimes I was frustrated during the dissections just because I didn't fully know the material at that point, so it made the dissection a little more difficult. HOWEVER, looking back on it now, especially because I have shadowed a lot in the surgical specialty that I am interested in, GA was incredibly valuable. I could not image going into a surgical speciality or even just my surgery clinical rotation during third year without anatomy lab (specifically a dissection anatomy lab) because you learn so many skills and it is so different to learn by seeing the actual muscles, tissues, organs, etc. on an actual cadaver vs. from Anki prosection cards or from a textbook
As an M4 who had to do half of my anatomy lab virtually I second this. There is a big difference between seeing the 3D anatomical relations in person on a cadaver and just memorizing pictures. I feel like I have a stronger mastery of the anatomy I learned in the anatomy lab compared to what I learned in the virtual lab

Any current students who wouldn’t mind giving advice on how to study/keep up with everything in year 1?
Try to not fall behind on lectures! That's my biggest tip and it's definitely easier said than done. You do get the weekend+2 full days of no school activities to study before an exam, but don't let lectures pile up with the mentality of "oh I can catch up then." Also try to not overload yourself with resources. Find 2-3 resources the work best for you and stick with those even if you see your peers using different ones, unless you want to test a new one out, then just add one at a time. It'll do more harm to your studying if you are testing out 10 different resources vs. just using 2-3. Also try to prepare for required activities. So review your histology lecture before histo lab, review the appropriate anatomy lecturs before anatomy lab. Doing this will help you get the most out of these active learning sessions. Also never be afraid to reach out to your M2 mentor or the near peer tutors through the office of learning and teaching. We are literally there to help you and answer whatever questions you may have. If you work well with a group or need a group to keep you accountable, find a group of friends that need the same. Early on in the block, make your own schedule. I personally would try to give myself one free day a week, but this meant that I had to do a 1-2 extra lectures per day in order to give myself that flexibility. The biggest thing is to at least keep up with the suggested schedule that is posted for you. Also please please PLEASE take time for yourself. You do not want to burn yourself out early on in med school. Your mental health is just as important as your grades because you cannot achieve excellent grades and a good understanding of the material if you are constantly exhausted (mentally and/or physically).

However, until school starts in July, take this time to enjoy doing what you love! We were all in the same boat when we started and we all got through it together. No matter how much you try to prepare, there is going to be a learning curve. So you might as well enjoy the free time that you have now doing the things that make you happy!

Edited: because I can't spell and keep catching mistakes lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED TODAY!!! interviewed feb, OOS, Asian, no LOI sent, first acceptance <3

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
When one is accepted, other than applying for financial aid, doing the background check, and plan/commit to enrolling, is there anything else that needs to be done?

OOS Canadian student here. Was interviewed and waitlisted in February. Did anyone else get called for a re-interview following their initial interview day with the admissions team? Wondering what this means for my chances of being accepted.

does this school have home residencies? i was under the impression that it did but someone on the x vs y forum said it doesn’t…

does this school have home residencies? i was under the impression that it did but someone on the x vs y forum said it doesn’t…
We do! There are also plenty of hospital systems that students can rotate at that are near campus besides Detroit Medical Center (the main hospital and residency program affiliated with WSU). The other nearby programs include Henry Ford, Beaumont, Ascension St. John, McLaren, and probably more that I just can't think of right now

I'm a rising M1 and looking for housing - does anyone know places students typically live or places I can look that can fit a budget of below $1000/month?

I'm a rising M1 and looking for housing - does anyone know places students typically live or places I can look that can fit a budget of below $1000/month?

I found this link: Detroit - Your new home

I've also been looking at places on Apartments.com: Apartments for Rent Near Wayne State University - Detroit, MI Student Housing | Apartments.com

Does anyone know if there is adequate parking on campus? I'm not sure if I should get an apartment that is a walkable distance from campus, or if I can live somewhere slightly farther away and drive every day.

Hi all!! I am an Attending physician who has a rental property (house) - available starting in June/July. Perfect for incoming Resident(s) in the area! Location is in Oak Park, MI. Would love to have a resident! Please spread the news. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath. Message me if interested! Will send pictures!

Price: 900 per roommate, all utilities paid (including : electric, water and internet)

I've also been looking at places on Apartments.com: Apartments for Rent Near Wayne State University - Detroit, MI Student Housing | Apartments.com

Does anyone know if there is adequate parking on campus? I'm not sure if I should get an apartment that is a walkable distance from campus, or if I can live somewhere slightly farther away and drive every day.
I believe Wayne State has you purchase a parking pass for a ridiculous price per semester. At least, that's what it's like for their undergrads. I'm not sure if it's the same for graduate students

Can’t believe I finally get to say it… I got the A!!!! After two cycles this is the biggest relief :’) IS, WL in Oct

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I believe Wayne State has you purchase a parking pass for a ridiculous price per semester. At least, that's what it's like for their undergrads. I'm not sure if it's the same for graduate students
So parking is like $222 for 3 months I believe OR you use your OneCard and you pay $4 every time you park in the lot across for campus. I personally do the $4 option because I really only come to campus for required activities (2-3, sometimes 4 times a week). IMO, the $222 is really only worth it if you utilize the school gym (bc you park in a different lot there) and if you are planning on leaving campus in between required events if you have two in a day (you are charged for each time you enter the lot). Since last July, I don't think I've spent over $300 on parking, which isn't even two of the $222 passes. So yeah it sucks to pay to park, but at least there's a cheaper option for those who don't plan on coming to campus daily or multiple times a day.

To answer your question specifically about driving in, I would say the majority of students drive in even if it is just a 5 minute drive because walking would take a lot longer. You could definitely walk if you are in some of the apartments really close to campus, but many drive (especially in the winter). I personally live about 30 minutes from campus and drive in whenever I'm required to. It can sometimes suck, but it is definitely doable, especially if you are only like 10-20 minutes away!