2021-2022 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was able to do mine around 2:00 pm yesterday but I noticed the early ones were getting snatched up from when I first logged in that morning. Maybe they are all taken and they will have to let you know when they schedule more interviews.
Yep, that was exactly it, they just opened up some more september slots so luckily I was able to grab one of those.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
And here I am still waiting for AAMC to verify my primary after 4 weeks 😩

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Dang, Wayne State already sending out so much interviews in the cycle, even UofM hasn't sent out interviews yet.

Hoping AMCAS verifies my app soon, and also hope I'm not too late to submit either...

Can someone help lessen my anxiety over Wayne State already sending out 20% of their interviews less than a month into the cycle?

I'm afraid that I am already too late to be considered, given I have yet to get my secondary in since I'm waiting for AMCAS to verify my primary :cryi:

Can someone help lessen my anxiety over Wayne State already sending out 20% of their interviews less than a month into the cycle?

I'm afraid that I am already too late to be considered, given I have yet to get my secondary in since I'm waiting for AMCAS to verify my primary :cryi:
They still have 80% left to give! If they like your application they’ll definitely still send you one!

They still have 80% left to give! If they like your application they’ll definitely still send you one!

True, I think it's more so that as a reapplicant who got interviews last year, I definitely felt like so many schools that interviewed post-January were almost all automatic waitlists, so reaaally hoping I can get an early interview here.

Definitely submitting Day 1 of getting my secondaries.

True, I think it's more so that as a reapplicant who got interviews last year, I definitely felt like so many schools that interviewed post-January were almost all automatic waitlists, so reaaally hoping I can get an early interview here.

I submitted my secondary today. Zero stress, 20% are gone but 80% are left. It's really not that big of a deal.

Reactions: 1 users

I read on their website that they are not rolling admissions. They say " interview spots do not fill up before the application deadline". So its okay!!

I read on their website that they are not rolling admissions. They say " interview spots do not fill up before the application deadline". So its okay!!
Essentially that's true, and their "best chances deadline" date is stated as November 1st. But, it does not understate that being in as soon as physically possible is always best.

On last year's thread, people were accepted on Oct 15th.

Hey team, Wayne was on my list for a long time but I ended up having to cut it just due to the number of schools I was applying to. One school just offered to waive their expensive secondary for me due to a special situation, and I want to add Wayne with the extra $$. It looks like a lot of II's have come out though, do people think its a little too late, especially for someone with no ties to MI?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey team, Wayne was on my list for a long time but I ended up having to cut it just due to the number of schools I was applying to. One school just offered to waive their expensive secondary for me due to a special situation, and I want to add Wayne with the extra $$. It looks like a lot of II's have come out though, do people think its a little too late, especially for someone with no ties to MI?
i think your narrative aligning with wayne's mission is way more important than ties to MI (especially because Wayne is OOS-friendly) so if you feel like your application aligns with wayne's mission/values then i would def still apply

Reactions: 2 users
If you have over 600 service hours and have an LM over 70, I would do it. You could probably reduce the LM by about 4-8 if you are URM and Female.

Also wouldn't hurt to call to see if they'll waive the secondary, YMMV.

Last edited:
If you have over 600 service hours and have an LM over 70, I would do it. You could probably reduce the LM by about 4-8 if you are URM/Female.

Also wouldn't hurt to call to see if they'll waive the secondary, YMMV.
Not sure why you would reduce LM for being female. Historically in the last 4 years, median stats for matriculants based on sex shows pretty much similar GPA and about 1.5 points lower MCAT median for women (https://www.aamc.org/media/6086/download) . A 1.5 MCAT difference amounts to 1 point different in LM.

Reactions: 4 users
Not sure why you would reduce LM for being female. Historically in the last 4 years, median stats for matriculants based on sex shows pretty much similar GPA and about 1.5 points lower MCAT median for women (https://www.aamc.org/media/6086/download) . A 1.5 MCAT difference amounts to 1 point different in LM.
Yes, not sure why the user thinks being female gives you such a massive advantage, clearly not the case.

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting, would you think military service count towards the service hours? My volunteering hours are pretty weak otherwise.
It certainly gives you an interesting story. Shoot your shot!
Yes, not sure why the user thinks being female gives you such a massive advantage, clearly not the case.
These are the ranges for interviews at Wayne State. The school values having a diverse class reflective of its community, and based on aggregate data (from SDN and others), applicants with these profiles (LM ~62-63) are likely to get interviews too.

The MCAT ranges for matriculated students on the lower 15th is about 16 points lower than those in the upper 25th. This deviation tends to happen with large classes, especially at Wayne. That doesn't mean that you are more likely to be accepted if you are URM AND identify as a female (my apologies for not being completely clear on that. I'll edit my comment); it just means that you still have a decent chance at acceptance if you don't have as high an MCAT. You still have an uphill battle though.

Reactions: 2 users
It certainly gives you an interesting story. Shoot your shot!

These are the ranges for interviews at Wayne State. The school values having a diverse class reflective of its community, and based on aggregate data (from SDN and others), applicants with these profiles (LM ~62-63) are likely to get interviews too.

The MCAT ranges for matriculated students on the lower 15th is about 16 points lower than those in the upper 25th. This deviation tends to happen with large classes, especially at Wayne. That doesn't mean that you are more likely to be accepted if you are URM AND identify as a female (my apologies for not being completely clear on that. I'll edit my comment); it just means that you still have a decent chance at acceptance if you don't have as high an MCAT. You still have an uphill battle though.
Oooh ok, I read it as URM or female, not URM and female. Makes sense and is a lot less offensive 😂

Is it even worth it to submit my secondary? Yesterday was two weeks since I received the secondary invite.

I have an interview scheduled this week but on the portal I am still not assigned someone for one of the stations and one of the one-on-one interviews. Any else having this issue? Wondering if I should contact admissions in this regard.

I have an interview scheduled this week but on the portal I am still not assigned someone for one of the stations and one of the one-on-one interviews. Any else having this issue? Wondering if I should contact admissions in this regard.
Best of luck on your interview!

Same for me! Scheduled later this week, don't have a name assigned for 1 MMI station and for the student interview

For those prepping for interviews, approximately how many days did you/will you guys prepare? I have mine later next week but due to work and secondaries, I'm only starting my prep tonight. Wondering whether or not I should take a few days off work to prepare since there's the MMI and traditional aspect. This is my first interview

For those prepping for interviews, approximately how many days did you/will you guys prepare? I have mine later next week but due to work and secondaries, I'm only starting my prep tonight. Wondering whether or not I should take a few days off work to prepare since there's the MMI and traditional aspect. This is my first interview
as someone who didn't take their interview seriously last year (and ended up being WL --> R) i'd suggest taking time off. it's very chill but it should still be prepared for - because wayne gets so many apps and has so many invites sent out (they did 1500 approx last cycle) ur interview's so important

Reactions: 3 users
as someone who didn't take their interview seriously last year (and ended up being WL --> R) i'd suggest taking time off. it's very chill but it should still be prepared for - because wayne gets so many apps and has so many invites sent out (they did 1500 approx last cycle) ur interview's so important
Makes sense, thanks! Do you know if schools are generally flexible with rescheduling interviews? I was thinking about asking if I could move mine back a couple of days.

Makes sense, thanks! Do you know if schools are generally flexible with rescheduling interviews? I was thinking about asking if I could move mine back a couple of days.
Hmm not sure! I’d recommend calling them but I’m sure they’ll be flexible because it’s so early in the cycle

I submitted my secondary a couple days after 2 weeks passed and am OOS. Will this be a huge issue?

So does Wayne State have a PBL style curriculum where you don't actually have to go to lecture and instead view them at your own leisure as well as go through cases to develop an understanding of the material? It's not really advertised that much apart from a few lines on their website and one sentence about it on MSAR, but was hoping I could get some clarification in regards to that, just in case.

Last edited:
So does Wayne State have a PBL style curriculum where you don't actually have to go to lecture and instead view them at your own leisure as well as go through cases to develop an understanding of the material? It's not really advertised that much apart from a few lines on their website and one sentence about it on MSAR, but was hoping I could get some clarification in regards to that, just in case.
yes for now lectures are all pre-recorded and posted online due to covid. unclear if it will stay like that forever. we have anatomy lab in person still, along with some other things (like histology labs). our case study sessions are also online via zoom . this is all an M1 perspective

M2 perspective. We're not PBL based (although in M1 you do get ~1PBL per unit unless they changed it), but we do have interactive CBLs, and other inperson/zoom labs. We also have a weekly review session where we work through a whole bunch of NBME style exam questions. As mentioned above, all lectures are pre-recorded, although they are frequently 2-3 years old at this point.

M1 perspective again. M1 lectures were newly recorded because the curriculum and examination practices changed for the third year in a row. I do not see any PBLs on our schedule, only CBLs (which aren't very helpful). Lectures will likely stay asynchronous because course directors mentioned how only 10 students ever showed up to live lectures pre-COVID.

We have weekly question review sessions on Zoom worth 5% for just showing up and ungraded quiz questions to do on our own time.

P.S. This school is not a fully integrated curriculum, but traditional. First 3 course blocks of M1 are normal physiology and final 3 course blocks of M2 are pathophysiology.

M1 perspective again. M1 lectures were newly recorded because the curriculum and examination practices changed for the third year in a row.
I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting all newly recorded lectures. Most of our lecture recordings come from when Wayne State was still doing in person lectures :(

• Haha
Looking at my interviewer information and it seems like they hand picked this person for me based on their background. Anyone else noticed this?

• Hmm
Looking at my interviewer information and it seems like they hand picked this person for me based on their background. Anyone else noticed this?
My student interviewer seems to share one of my interests, but other than that I got nothing.

how far in advance before your interview are you able to see who your interviewers are?

For those who have already interviewed or have one scheduled, does the virtual welcome session begin 30 minutes before my first scheduled interview, and when can I expect to receive a link to this session?

Lol I got some ad email from Wayne. Me getting excited that it was an II :/

For those who have already interviewed or have one scheduled, does the virtual welcome session begin 30 minutes before my first scheduled interview, and when can I expect to receive a link to this session?
Yes, it is 30 min before and they sent the link the day before the session.

My student interview has to be rescheduled, so much for my ideal track 2 :(

• Sad
My student interviewer also shared some background with me! Wondered if it was a coincidence or not... :-?

Was very surprised to see my faculty interviewer's name changed just now, the new person's background is closer to my research now! so weird
My faculty interviewer has the same clinical background as me. Not sure if it’s intentional, but it’s nice to think that they tried to match us with people of similar interests. Should provide some more natural common ground on interview day :)