2021-2022 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anywhere between a day and a year. That is how it will be for every school.
... actually, there are a few schools where some people will never hear! As @gonnif likes to advise, as rude and inexcusable as it is, schools are under no obligation to take any action at all on an application, and that includes communicating that they are taking no action! Believe it or not, it happens. Some people spend hours working on applications and $100+ on fees, and sometimes find that their effort and money ends up in a black hole.

Members don't see this ad.

Ohk I thought it was automatic .
I think they say on their website 2-10 weeks for getting a secondary. If you look at last years thread people got UCSF pretty late despite being verified early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thank you a lot. Actually has anyone that recieved a secondary in this group get one in a response time of 1-2 weeks lol.

If we received UCSD, UCI, and UCLA, can we be confident in UCSF (am MSTP if matters)
Dont know about MSTP, but I don't think so. For reference I received UCSD, UCD, UCI, and UCLA and still have no UCSF. Some of them look at stats, some look at activities, for most its probably a mix of everything, so I don't think receiving one is a good indication of receiving another. I've heard people say receiving the UC's secondaries means you likely have an okay primary, but who knows what all of these schools are specifically looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else transmitted day 1 (6/25) not gotten a secondary? High stats (though MCAT doesn't matter, I guess), minor IA, MSTP applicant, well-rounded application with an x-factor or two...I am debating whether to reach out later this week/end of this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else transmitted day 1 (6/25) not been verified? High stats (though MCAT doesn't matter, I guess), minor IA, MSTP applicant, well-rounded application with an x-factor or two...I am debating whether to reach out later this week/end of this week.
by verified do you mean haven't received a secondary? because if so, I'm in the same position (but no IA) and made it past the screens at UCLA, UCSD, and UCI already

Members don't see this ad :)
by verified do you mean haven't received a secondary? because if so, I'm in the same position (but no IA) and made it past the screens at UCLA, UCSD, and UCI already
Oh hey it’s “probably got an II from Pitt already” guy. If you are still in this position too then I am no longer worried. Same, made it through all the other UCs save for Davis, but they haven’t sent out MSTP yet.

Oh hey it’s “probably got an II from Pitt already” guy. If you are still in this position too then I am no longer worried. Same, made it through all the other UCs save for Davis, but they haven’t sent out MSTP yet.
haha no that wasn't me, I was the guy who responded saying my portal still just said 'under review'

Has anyone else transmitted day 1 (6/25) not gotten a secondary? High stats (though MCAT doesn't matter, I guess), minor IA, MSTP applicant, well-rounded application with an x-factor or two...I am debating whether to reach out later this week/end of this week.
Same position without the MSTP and IA. I’d give it more than a week, UCSF is notoriously slow and they’re also slow to give out IIs I believe, so being complete a little later won’t hurt

Same position without the MSTP and IA. I’d give it more than a week, UCSF is notoriously slow and they’re also slow to give out IIs I believe, so being complete a little later won’t hurt
OK, sweet. Any theories as to what hold ups may be, though?

haha no that wasn't me, I was the guy who responded saying my portal still just said 'under review'
Then let us resume worry together.

Lol Seems I should be less worried. They are notorious for something that I didn’t know they were notorious for

Last edited:
OK, sweet. Any theories as to what hold ups may be, though?
No idea, they probably have a way of stratifying apps for primary review, maybe they focus on certain missions first, like people who do a lot of work with Latino communities or something like that. Or maybe they're all just doled out to different reviewers and our reviewer took a long weekend. Or maybe we suck. Could be anything, but I drive by UCSF every day so tomorrow I promise I'll throw a rock through their window that says, "give me secondary pls".

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
No idea, they probably have a way of stratifying apps for primary review, maybe they focus on certain missions first, like people who do a lot of work with Latino communities or something like that. Or maybe they're all just doled out to different reviewers and our reviewer took a long weekend. Or maybe we suck. Could be anything, but I drive by UCSF every day so tomorrow I promise I'll throw a rock through their window that says, "give me secondary pls".
i don’t suppose a missions trip 7 years ago to Centrak America counts as service to Latino populations, does it? /s

aight, just waiting.

Yup, verified before transmission, and currently on the alternate list for last cycle but no secondary yet. I think they might just be individually looking at apps, so I wouldn’t stress about it yet!

Also current MS1 here. Fully agree with the above. Definitely don't stress about having not received a secondary yet. I was verified mid-June, didn't receive my 2ndary until mid-August, and got an II 4 weeks later. Good luck!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Also current MS1 here. Fully agree with the above. Definitely don't stress about having not received a secondary yet. I was verified mid-June, didn't receive my 2ndary until mid-August, and got an II 4 weeks later. Good luck!
thank god for you MS1s who come back and help us calm down

Anybody recieve a secondary verfied last week I only know one person who was lol

Same and I literally did a summer of research at UCSF
Im trying not to get discouraged because I know people who got secondaries so late in the cycle for them... but my app got sent in on the first day possible and it seems weird to not go through them in the order they were received. I am also have good stats and am so proud of my primary app, so I REALLY didn't expect to be screened out by anyone first round... maybe this is a wake up call... I don't know. Kind of turns me off to UCSF though.

Im trying not to get discouraged because I know people who got secondaries so late in the cycle for them... but my app got sent in on the first day possible and it seems weird to not go through them in the order they were received. I am also have good stats and am so proud of my primary app, so I REALLY didn't expect to be screened out by anyone first round... maybe this is a wake up call... I don't know. Kind of turns me off to UCSF though.
I wouldn't take it personally; my alma mater hasn't sent me one yet either (lol).

I feel ya but everyone timing is different watch you get one. I def believe in us all I would not be suprised if you get one tonight. Be patient and stay positive you will get one!! Like UCSF it doesnt matter if you have connections with them they do a holisitic review and sometimes its not really all about stats so dont think of it that way. Think of it as a reader reading your app and thinking wow this person is solid and has a chance not only because they have a 4.0,which GPA matters but not to a big extent but your willing to be the physician needed in our communiities backyards. It seem they give secondaries at night and they might be sending one every night so def stay away from email and dont check them continously.

so the fact that they're working through thousands of equally qualified applicants AND giving each application due consideration turns you off? just be patient. if you're as good as you say you are you'll get in somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
so the fact that they're working through thousands of equally qualified applicants AND giving each application due consideration turns you off? jesus, just be patient. if you're as good as you say you are you'll get in somewhere.
OP too good for T10. Harvard or bust.

Where did you get the percentages?

Reactions: 2 users
Where did you get the percentages?
This^^^. I know there are some schools that have no problem sending you a R like 5 seconds after you submit a secondary, but I do think there is any school that is so aggressive in thinning the herd before receiving their secondary $$$$$$$. TBH, they'd do all of us a great favor if they did, since post secondary II rates are very low, just about everywhere, but they just don't.

I feel ya but everyone timing is different watch you get one. I def believe in us all I would not be suprised if you get one tonight. Be patient and stay positive you will get one!! Like UCSF it doesnt matter if you have connections with them they do a holisitic review and sometimes its not really all about stats so dont think of it that way. Think of it as a reader reading your app and thinking wow this person is solid and has a chance not only because they have a 4.0,which GPA matters but not to a big extent but your willing to be the physician needed in our communiities backyards. It seem they give secondaries at night and they might be sending one every night so def stay away from email and dont check them continously.
Current MS1 here at UCSF. I can def agree with the post. UCSF is one of the schools that does a really thorough holistic review of apps and is very mission-driven. High stats alone will not guarantee anything, so take that as you will. And don't worry guys, you guys will be fine even if you did not receive secondaries yet so be patient. I received my secondary for UCSF on 9/22 of last cycle and here I am. Best of luck to those applying!

Reactions: 6 users
Current MS1 here at UCSF. I can def agree with the post. UCSF is one of the schools that does a really thorough holistic review of apps and is very mission-driven. High stats alone will not guarantee anything, so take that as you will. And don't worry guys, you guys will be fine even if you did not receive secondaries yet so be patient. I received my secondary for UCSF on 9/22 of last cycle and here I am. Best of luck to those applying!
This dude has had an account since September of 2019 and our neuroticism finally got them to make their first post after 2 years. Appreciate the advice, man.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Are they really into people who work with Latino communities? I have a genuine interest in working w Hispanic communities and want to talk about it more on my secondaries (bc I don’t emphasize it a ton on my primary) but their secondary prompts don’t give a ton of opportunity to do so. I’m just wondering how much I should try to work it in

I got UCLA, UCSD, UCI, no UCSF or UCD yet. Low stats, IA, criminal background, white, do you think I still have a chance

so the fact that they're working through thousands of equally qualified applicants AND giving each application due consideration turns you off? jesus, just be patient. if you're as good as you say you are you'll get in somewhere.
Lol nooo it makes me doubt myself and makes me feel like I got screened out which turns me off to the school. As in if someone received an R or are ghosted by a school, it usual will turn them off a bit to the school because rejection sucks! It's not the school, it's me and my emotions/anxiety surrounding this process getting the better of me, which I hoped would have been clearer from my post (it was not).

I was trying to say, I'm working to not to get discouraged, but it is hard to not overthink everything. I know that most applicants are as qualified or if anything way more qualified than me, but that doesn't stop me from believing in myself and hoping for the best through this process. One thought I had was that my app was submitted on the first day and that I maybe got screened out already and that's a wake up call because I had high hopes. Maybe I need to reassess myself and my expectations, who knows.

It's not like I am not considering UCSF now or taking them off my list and I am especially not saying it's a bad thing that they screen. I would rather every school do a wholistic in-depth screening like they do. I just was venting my emotions and sudden doubt in myself over this.

But you're right, I will try and be patient and hopefully it will turn out for the best for all of us.

Yes, it is still early
This is kind of an off-shoot, but do you think that the more "holistic" schools like UCSF, Mayo, Etc. emphasize high CARS scores? Instead of the traditional C/P and B/B 130+ expectations of top schools. I somehow got a 127 CARS lmao, possible L.

This is kind of an off-shoot, but do you think that the more "holistic" schools like UCSF, Mayo, Etc. emphasize high CARS scores? Instead of the traditional C/P and B/B 130+ expectations of top schools. I somehow got a 127 CARS lmao, possible L.
They are blinding all MCAT scores

Will Kanye drop before I hear back from SF, stay along with me for the journey.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users