2021-2022 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning!!! I am so excited, this is my #1!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have my interview here in 2 weeks! Anybody have any advice or tips? How did you feel at your interview?

Reactions: 1 users
I have my interview here in 2 weeks! Anybody have any advice or tips? How did you feel at your interview?
I would say it was very laid back and conversational. I enjoyed my interviews a lot and had some really good conversation. Show you're passionate about people and medicine and be yourself.

I would say it was very laid back and conversational. I enjoyed my interviews a lot and had some really good conversation. Show you're passionate about people and medicine and be yourself.
Cool, thanks! Was it via zoom? And how did you prep for it?

Cool, thanks! Was it via zoom? And how did you prep for it?
It was via Zoom for some parts and Microsoft Teams for others. I also interviewed for TCC at the Cleveland campus so my interview day was a little different. I mostly just prepped by going through my experiences and personal statement and having something to say about each of my experiences. My first question out of the gate was "why osteopathic medicine?" so definitely do your research and have a good answer for that. I also had a lot of questions about how I handle stress and adversity, so that may be something to consider. If you use the SDN guide for OU-HCOM interview questions there's a lot of good examples there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II right now for 1/25! I am so excited and have been waiting for eons to hear back from this school. Secondary complete 7/23.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II right now for 1/25! I am so excited and have been waiting for eons to hear back from this school. Secondary complete 7/23.
So happy for you, I've been following your posts on this thread. Congratulations!!

ACCEPTED about an hour ago!!!! Just interviewed today & got the call less than 3 hours after my interview ended. So so happy since this is my top choice :) anyone drop the GroupMe link/fb link that would be great

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Any current students? How is your curriculum? Do you have pbl or is it more of a lecture based learning? How much time spent on omt?

ACCEPTED about an hour ago!!!! Just interviewed today & got the call less than 3 hours after my interview ended. So so happy since this is my top choice :) anyone drop the GroupMe link/fb link that would be great
Congratulations!! Are you IS or OOS?

For anyone who has already interviewed and been accepted - what kind of questions were you asked during your interview? Anything out of left field to prep for? I'm interviewing on 1/18 and this is my top choice school so I really wanna kill my interview!

For anyone who has already interviewed and been accepted - what kind of questions were you asked during your interview? Anything out of left field to prep for? I'm interviewing on 1/18 and this is my top choice school so I really wanna kill my interview!

know your entire application. many of the questions they ask revolve around your app. definitely be prepared to answer why OU-HCOM (and why the specific campus), your career goals, and why DO. each interview was very conversational, and even got to talk a ton about other things outside of medicine. remember they want you, or else they would not have extended an interview to you. good luck, go crush it!

Any current students? How is your curriculum? Do you have pbl or is it more of a lecture based learning? How much time spent on omt?
Hello, first year in Dub here.

Curriculum is a lot of self-driven learning. We are given prepguides (which contain lecture videos/readings/extra info we are expected to know) each week that help to prepare us for our lectures/iLABs. Essentially you are given a prepguide 10 days before you take the quiz on the information. You take the quiz on Monday and then the rest of the week we have lectures (iLABs) in class-these are mostly used for answering practice questions and then having them explain these questions. Basically, you're expected to learn from the prepguide BEFORE you have the iLABs and then these exercises allow you to reinforce the information and discuss topics with your small groups. I'm not 100% sure what PBL means but a lot of it is self-driven but then you work in teams to help cement any information you haven't been able to grasp on your own.

OMT is essentially 2 hours every wed morning/afternoon (depending on if you're a first or second year). Clinical skills varies depending on the semester.

Hopefully this is helpful! Let me know if you have further questions and if you would like me to describe anything more.

Edit: can also message me if you have more questions.

know your entire application. many of the questions they ask revolve around your app. definitely be prepared to answer why OU-HCOM (and why the specific campus), your career goals, and why DO. each interview was very conversational, and even got to talk a ton about other things outside of medicine. remember they want you, or else they would not have extended an interview to you. good luck, go crush it!
Agree with this. One of my questions was the title of the journal of one of my publications, because it was an obscure journal. Also I think every single interviewer asked me a DO/primary care question. Also, 100% agree with the fact that they want you. OU takes a LOT of people who interview. Just be yourself & you got this.

Hello, first year in Dub here.

Curriculum is a lot of self-driven learning. We are given prepguides (which contain lecture videos/readings/extra info we are expected to know) each week that help to prepare us for our lectures/iLABs. Essentially you are given a prepguide 10 days before you take the quiz on the information. You take the quiz on Monday and then the rest of the week we have lectures (iLABs) in class-these are mostly used for answering practice questions and then having them explain these questions. Basically, you're expected to learn from the prepguide BEFORE you have the iLABs and then these exercises allow you to reinforce the information and discuss topics with your small groups. I'm not 100% sure what PBL means but a lot of it is self-driven but then you work in teams to help cement any information you haven't been able to grasp on your own.

OMT is essentially 2 hours every wed morning/afternoon (depending on if you're a first or second year). Clinical skills varies depending on the semester.

Hopefully this is helpful! Let me know if you have further questions and if you would like me to describe anything more.

Edit: can also message me if you have more questions.
Sorry to hijack but I have some questions of my own after reading this, thank you in advance! Not going to DM because others might find them useful :p
Is the curriculum P/F and do they rank students?
Is OMM only during Y1/Y2? Not clinical years? How much emphasis do they put on OMM?
How long are lectures and are they required attendance?
How is the student organization/extracurricular stuff at Dublin?
(PS I think LeahMDmaybe meant problem based learning with the "PBL")

Sorry to hijack but I have some questions of my own after reading this, thank you in advance! Not going to DM because others might find them useful :p
Is the curriculum P/F and do they rank students?
Is OMM only during Y1/Y2? Not clinical years? How much emphasis do they put on OMM?
How long are lectures and are they required attendance?
How is the student organization/extracurricular stuff at Dublin?
(PS I think LeahMDmaybe meant problem based learning with the "PBL")

Curriculum in preclinical is P/F. (We just have to get 70%s overall on all components.) Only the top 25% of the class is ranked. (As a med student, I HIGHLY recommend going to a school that is P/F. Med school is a lot and I personally think the P/F attitude substantially decreases my stress level.) Clinical has some proficient/exceptional/honors scale but I have no clue what that's about yet. Still not fully graded based on letters like in undergrad.

I think I would have to ask someone about OMM in clinicals. I think you use it but honestly we don't know a ton about what happens in clinicals yet. In preclincals, we have OMM 1x/week. It is included in our overall weekly quizzes & tests and then we have 'peer-graded quizzes' each week. (So basically you will probably get all those points.)

Lectures depend on what class and what day. Our schedule is irregular so some days we have only 2 hours of class and some days we have 5. They ARE required attendance. You get 3ish personal days (I only used one last semester but I think we have 3) if you need/want to have a day off. Specifically though, you can't use them on days when you have quizzes, OMM, or anatomy lab.

I think I'm in 8 clubs at this point and there are other ones besides what I'm in. You can find a lot of organizations to join. Most of the clubs allow you to learn more about specialties you're interested in. (Side note: there are a lot of VIRTUAL things right now so, based on the specialty you're interested in, they have zoom calls and things of that nature with doctors.) There isn't a ton of required time for anything since everyone knows we have busy schedules, but you can definitely find groups to join to further your career interests.

I googled problem-based learning and I will say that we have some aspects of that (we are VERY team heavy - so that requires us to build communication skills and we work together during lectures and during the group portion of our quizzes) but I don't think that's the center of what we do. We are given clinical cases for monday classes and we discuss them based on our knowledge so I suppose that would classify as problem based learning to an extent.

Hopefully all this helps!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Curriculum in preclinical is P/F. (We just have to get 70%s overall on all components.) Only the top 25% of the class is ranked. (As a med student, I HIGHLY recommend going to a school that is P/F. Med school is a lot and I personally think the P/F attitude substantially decreases my stress level.) Clinical has some proficient/exceptional/honors scale but I have no clue what that's about yet. Still not fully graded based on letters like in undergrad.

I think I would have to ask someone about OMM in clinicals. I think you use it but honestly we don't know a ton about what happens in clinicals yet. In preclincals, we have OMM 1x/week. It is included in our overall weekly quizzes & tests and then we have 'peer-graded quizzes' each week. (So basically you will probably get all those points.)

Lectures depend on what class and what day. Our schedule is irregular so some days we have only 2 hours of class and some days we have 5. They ARE required attendance. You get 3ish personal days (I only used one last semester but I think we have 3) if you need/want to have a day off. Specifically though, you can't use them on days when you have quizzes, OMM, or anatomy lab.

I think I'm in 8 clubs at this point and there are other ones besides what I'm in. You can find a lot of organizations to join. Most of the clubs allow you to learn more about specialties you're interested in. (Side note: there are a lot of VIRTUAL things right now so, based on the specialty you're interested in, they have zoom calls and things of that nature with doctors.) There isn't a ton of required time for anything since everyone knows we have busy schedules, but you can definitely find groups to join to further your career interests.

I googled problem-based learning and I will say that we have some aspects of that (we are VERY team heavy - so that requires us to build communication skills and we work together during lectures and during the group portion of our quizzes) but I don't think that's the center of what we do. We are given clinical cases for monday classes and we discuss them based on our knowledge so I suppose that would classify as problem based learning to an extent.

Hopefully all this helps!
Thank you for answering! And thank you @BrontoPronto as well. One more question, how is the housing situation? Do you recommend we have our own car? Thanks

Thank you for answering! And thank you @BrontoPronto as well. One more question, how is the housing situation? Do you recommend we have our own car? Thanks
I would recommend having your own car. I think everyone here has their own car to my knowledge. There isn't any on campus housing in Dublin. I think there may be some in Athens, because it has the undergrad college so I'm going to guess that CLE doesn't have any either. (Honestly I don't know about any other campus.)

I would also recommend looking for housing as soon as you're accepted. I was waiting on a response from a different school, so I didn't get to move in until the first day of orientation. Med school is stressful enough, don't add extra stress if you can avoid it lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I would recommend having your own car. I think everyone here has their own car to my knowledge. There isn't any on campus housing in Dublin. I think there may be some in Athens, because it has the undergrad college so I'm going to guess that CLE doesn't have any either. (Honestly I don't know about any other campus.)

I would also recommend looking for housing as soon as you're accepted. I was waiting on a response from a different school, so I didn't get to move in until the first day of orientation. Med school is stressful enough, don't add extra stress if you can avoid it lol.
Cool... thanks for taking the time! Quick google maps scouting of the area and it doesn't look like there are a lot of apartments too close to the school. How is the area safety wise? I'm only familiar with a small Arlington area

Cool... thanks for taking the time! Quick google maps scouting of the area and it doesn't look like there are a lot of apartments too close to the school. How is the area safety wise? I'm only familiar with a small Arlington area
I think Dublin is relatively safe. I'm not from Columbus, but I don't think it has been unsafe at all so far. There are several apartment complexes fairly close to the school. Mine is less than a 10 minute drive and I think there are others about the same time frame away. I don't think there's anything within walking distance but most people live 10-20 minutes away. We do have to compete with OSU students living off campus though which is why I would definitely say to try and book an apartment complex as soon as possible.

Also, if anyone else is worried about the gym situation like I was - OU Dub gives you free access to the Dublin rec center as a student so you won't have to worry about buying a membership to lift or exercise.

Actually, even if you go to Athens, I would suggest having your own car. For first and second years we have CCEs (which is essentially just big kid shadowing) and sometimes I have to drive 20-30 minutes to get there. I believe Athens has the same problem so no matter which campus you're at I would recommend a car.

Anyone not nervous about interviewing tomorrow because I am very nervous

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone not nervous about interviewing tomorrow because I am very nervous
Good luck, my friend. Just be breathe, be yourself, and try and have fun. (Incredibly difficult I know, but it will all be over in less than 24 hours.) I believe in you, and I hope to see you in the fall. You got this.

1642521383403.png

• Haha
Interview day was long but very informative and fun.
Received acceptance call for Athens at 6pm today! No words, I have been celebrating ever since.
AACOMAS complete 8/12; secondary 11/10; IS, URM, MCAT 500, gGPA 3.7

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Interview day was long but very informative and fun.
Received acceptance call for Athens at 6pm today! No words, I have been celebrating ever since.
AACOMAS complete 8/12; secondary 11/10; IS, URM, MCAT 500, gGPA 3.7
YES FRIEND!!! Welcome to the HCOM fam! Congratulations!!!

• Love
It was via Zoom for some parts and Microsoft Teams for others. I also interviewed for TCC at the Cleveland campus so my interview day was a little different. I mostly just prepped by going through my experiences and personal statement and having something to say about each of my experiences. My first question out of the gate was "why osteopathic medicine?" so definitely do your research and have a good answer for that. I also had a lot of questions about how I handle stress and adversity, so that may be something to consider. If you use the SDN guide for OU-HCOM interview questions there's a lot of good examples there.
where can we find this guide? Thanks in advance!