2021-2022 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
probably not worth it since they accept very very low number of OOS.
I second this. Unless you have over average stats it may be too late in the cycle for an OOS to apply here. (based on my conversations with admins)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted to Cleveland campus after interview on 1/25. Got the phone call on 1/25 at 6pm!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted after interview yesterday. frustrated but glad its not all over for me yet.

They did not :( but they did say that you can get on the WL for a specific campus and potentially get a seat at that campus later
Yeah I'm already on the WL for Cleveland and I'm just getting really bummed. I've sent them letters of intent and interest already.

Yeah I'm already on the WL for Cleveland and I'm just getting really bummed. I've sent them letters of intent and interest already.
Don't get bummed just yet, wait for WL movement in April :) wishing you the absolute best of luck

Anyone else waiting for scholarships to open so they don't have to take out 340k in loans lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. Have any of you who've been waitlisted had any updates or met with any of the deans regarding next steps, etc?

Hello there! This is my first time here. Quick question. Does anyone know if OU-HSOM is still sending out interview invites or are they done for the cycle? I submitted the supplemental TCC on the 9th of January and am still waiting to hear back. Thanks if anyone knows something. Best wishes!

Withdrew my A to the Dublin Campus tonight. Good luck ppl!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II!! OOS with a <510 MCAT and 3.3X GPA (upward trend) was completed at the end of August.

Just got an II!! OOS with a <510 MCAT and 3.3X GPA (upward trend) was completed at the end of August.
Congrats!! Any ties to the state?

Hi everyone. Have any of you who've been waitlisted had any updates or met with any of the deans regarding next steps, etc?
I met with the dean of admissions. The waitlist is unranked until they re-review applicants in late March-early April, after which it becomes ranked.

I met with the dean of admissions. The waitlist is unranked until they re-review applicants in late March-early April, after which it becomes ranked.
That's not what I was told when I talked with one of the admissions people for feedback. You're already ranked when on the waitlist and then they rereview once everyone has been interviewed. But it's more of a loose ranking until the end of interviewing season.
If you ask for feedback they are more than willing to give it so you can improve your chances.

I sent in my secondary application 1/28, paid the fee and got the payment confirmation both from OU (email) and my bank.. I checked my application today on the OU-HCOM portal and it says it wasn't submitted and that I need to pay. Should I just pay the fee a second time and still submit, or do you all think I'm too late? I'm in state, 3.6 gpa and 510 mcat... kind of freaking out right now.

I sent in my secondary application 1/28, paid the fee and got the payment confirmation both from OU (email) and my bank.. I checked my application today on the OU-HCOM portal and it says it wasn't submitted and that I need to pay. Should I just pay the fee a second time and still submit, or do you all think I'm too late? I'm in state, 3.6 gpa and 510 mcat... kind of freaking out right now.
Don’t pay twice, forward them back their confirmation email and ask them to update your portal

Don’t pay twice, forward them back their confirmation email and ask them to update your portal
Okay, thank you. Do you think this is going to hurt my chances of being invited to interview? This is my target school :(

Okay, thank you. Do you think this is going to hurt my chances of being invited to interview? This is my target school :(
Oh I’m sorry, I misunderstood and thought you had been accepted and were paying the deposit to hold your seat in the class.
But it’s still probably worth a polite email to be sure they update you.

Where do we send update or intent letters to? And is there any chance of hearing back with wl decisions before May? I realllllyyyy don't wanna spend money on a new application

Just got the acceptance right now!!! Interviewed this morning

OOS applicant with no ties to the state

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Where do we send update or intent letters to? And is there any chance of hearing back with wl decisions before May? I realllllyyyy don't wanna spend money on a new application
I think it is usually encouraged to send LOIs to the Dean or Director of Admissions. I looked through last cycles thread and it seems the earliest people got in off the WL was 29Apr2021.

I have my fingers crossed for you!

Just got the acceptance right now!!! Interviewed this morning

OOS applicant with no ties to the state
congrats! really hoping i can get the ii soon

Can anyone speak on how you are doing omt at this school right now with covid?

Can anyone speak on how you are doing omt at this school right now with covid?
OMS-1 at the Cleveland campus here: we currently just wear masks and go at it as we would normally. We do usually have the same partners every week though (to minimize potential exposures) and theres obviously a greater emphasis on the use of hand sanitizer and wiping down tables once we switch partners

The only real covid restrictions on the school as a whole is a mask mandate and encouraged social distancing when eating. They don't even take our temperatures when coming now

Question. How should we update the school that we are still highly interested even if we don't have a major update? Like I am waitlisted at another school, but this school only gives me 24 hours to respond if I am to be accepted off. But in all honesty I'd rather go here. Am I allowed to tell OU-HCOM this?

Spoke with an admin recently and was confirmed that they do not hold the 'pull off waitlist meeting' until April. (somewhat frustrating since the internal scholarship fund closes march 31st) but dont lose hope everyone waitlisted we got this :)

Spoke with an admin recently and was confirmed that they do not hold the 'pull off waitlist meeting' until April. (somewhat frustrating since the internal scholarship fund closes march 31st) but dont lose hope everyone waitlisted we got this :)
I was told it would be starting in may......... why are we all being told different things?????

• Hmm
Anyone know if they're still sending out interviews?

They sent out some tips in the email with the scholarship info!
I went back and looked but I don't see any advice for what to put in the essay. I'm wondering if anyone here would be willing to read mine that has obtained scholarships from the school to see if i'm writing it in the way that they are looking for.

I just got the acceptance for the TCC Program at Cleveland a few days ago! Anyone else? I’d love to meet you!

• Love
Question. How should we update the school that we are still highly interested even if we don't have a major update? Like I am waitlisted at another school, but this school only gives me 24 hours to respond if I am to be accepted off. But in all honesty I'd rather go here. Am I allowed to tell OU-HCOM this?
I am by no means an expert but I have been sending them tons of updates because they encourage it. I think you can definitely include a letter of intent that if given the opportunity, youd go (only send that if you really mean it). That being said include some content about why this school specifically (and what makes you intend to go there) and maybe some new introspection youve done since last update. Hope this helps!

OMS-1 at the Cleveland campus here: we currently just wear masks and go at it as we would normally. We do usually have the same partners every week though (to minimize potential exposures) and theres obviously a greater emphasis on the use of hand sanitizer and wiping down tables once we switch partners

The only real covid restrictions on the school as a whole is a mask mandate and encouraged social distancing when eating. They don't even take our temperatures when coming now
Thanks for the input. How do you feel about omt? Is it low key or more in your face? Idk how I feel about omt yet because I've never seen it get done but I know some schools are crazy about it and I hope this school not like that because Id rather focus my time on other topics if you know what I mean haha

I am by no means an expert but I have been sending them tons of updates because they encourage it. I think you can definitely include a letter of intent that if given the opportunity, youd go (only send that if you really mean it). That being said include some content about why this school specifically (and what makes you intend to go there) and maybe some new introspection youve done since last update. Hope this helps!
Yeah I sent my letter of intent as soon as I was waitlisted. But are your email updates more informal or are they still letter format?

Yeah I sent my letter of intent as soon as I was waitlisted. But are your email updates more informal or are they still letter format?
Personally, my updates are all in letter format in a word doc, then i send a pretty formal email to the admissions office with it and a more casual email to those I know at the offices.

Personally, my updates are all in letter format in a word doc, then i send a pretty formal email to the admissions office with it and a more casual email to those I know at the offices.
Okay that's what I've been doing. I do have one thing to update on so maybe I'll type something up by the end of next week.

Thanks for the input. How do you feel about omt? Is it low key or more in your face? Idk how I feel about omt yet because I've never seen it get done but I know some schools are crazy about it and I hope this school not like that because Id rather focus my time on other topics if you know what I mean haha
I’d say it’s definitely more on the low key end of the spectrum. OMT is a single 2 hour session per week with maybe a max of 1-2 hours of associated prep for that weeks session. It’s usually not integrated a whole lot in other sessions and I can usually do well enough on exams by reviewing OMM for only a couple hours. It’s definitely the thing I spend the least amount of my time focusing on when studying.

Received an II today, but it explicitly states in the email that I would interviewing for a waitlist spot because all seats have been filled (so far)

will be declining!

Edit: I am IS! complete 9/13. low GPA, medium high MCAT

Last edited:
Alright guys sent in my hopefully final letter to them. 😬😅

• Love