2021-2022 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, just wanted to ask yall about my chances at howard medical college. My GPA is pretty good with a 3.98 but I am kinda worried bout my 500 mcat. However, I have a long commitment to serving underserved communities and communit service.
I think you will be fine you have a very strong gpa and at least you got 500!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary a while ago. Anyone know when they start II?

I think you will be fine you have a very strong gpa and at least you got 500!
I hope so Dr._Su98, really praying i get an interview! I got my Casper score back today was kinda sad man scored 2nd quartile, hopefully it wont affect me too much.

Hi friends! Has anyone had any luck talking to admissions on the phone? I called once, but they said everyone is working remotely and to email them. However, the question I have is a likkle bit time sensitive, so I'm worried I won't get my answer soon.

Hi friends! Has anyone had any luck talking to admissions on the phone? I called once, but they said everyone is working remotely and to email them. However, the question I have is a likkle bit time sensitive, so I'm worried I won't get my answer soon.
They rarely pick up phones. Better 4 email response fam

Did anyone else get like 5 secondary emails from them

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so Dr._Su98, really praying i get an interview! I got my Casper score back today was kinda sad man scored 2nd quartile, hopefully it wont affect me too much.
How were able to see your casper score? I didn't even know we had access to it.

How were able to see your casper score? I didn't even know we had access to it.
You get an email about 3-4 weeks after you take it saying what your quartile is!

I got an email today from Howard saying that they had reviewed my primary and secondary applications. Interview Invites apparently will go out in late August. I'm hoping that the email i got was purely informational and not some type of 'soft reject'.

I got an email today from Howard saying that they had reviewed my primary and secondary applications. Interview Invites apparently will go out in late August. I'm hoping that the email i got was purely informational and not some type of 'soft reject'.
I got the same email yesterday. I think they are sending it out to everyone who submitted a secondary application to let them know that their app will be reviewed and considered for II.

I got the same email yesterday. I think they are sending it out to everyone who submitted a secondary application to let them know that their app will be reviewed and considered for II.
Yea I got one too, I believe this is the case!

Is it the email whose subject is "FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - YOUR SECONDARY HAS BEEN RECEIVED" or is this a different email?

Is it the email whose subject is "FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - YOUR SECONDARY HAS BEEN RECEIVED" or is this a different email?
It was "FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - AMCAS Application Reviewed"

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received and submitted on 7/13, complete email 7/15
Oh that makes sense i was marked complete on 8/3 due to long amcas verification wait? Do you think I will get the email soon?

Oh that makes sense i was marked complete on 8/3 due to long amcas verification wait? Do you think I will get the email soon?
Yes I think so! It just takes time for them to make sure they got all the LORs and everything is set to go. Plus from what I know is that their office has only 4 people working there so it is such a small team and it will take time to get through all apps.

I was complete on 7/3 and haven't received the email discussed above... strange

Did anyone attend the First Friday zoom last week?

Reactions: 1 users
Did their secondary a while ago in June, and got an email saying primary and secondary have been received and reviewed. Interview Invites are late August to mid April.

Hey everyone! For the secondary asking if we've ever lived in an underserved community, I'm wondering if I should put "yes" for my situation. I was born in the U.S. and attended school in the U.S., but my parents are immigrants from a developing country in an area that is both medically and economically disadvantaged. I spent 5-6 months there almost every year growing up (during summer and winter breaks in elementary/middle/beginning of high school). I was never there for longer than 3 months at a time, though, so I'm not sure this would be considered "living" there. Any thoughts?

Hey everyone! For the secondary asking if we've ever lived in an underserved community, I'm wondering if I should put "yes" for my situation. I was born in the U.S. and attended school in the U.S., but my parents are immigrants from a developing country in an area that is both medically and economically disadvantaged. I spent 5-6 months there almost every year growing up (during summer and winter breaks in elementary/middle/beginning of high school). I was never there for longer than 3 months at a time, though, so I'm not sure this would be considered "living" there. Any thoughts?
I would assume so, but either way its about how you finesse your experiences.
"Yes, I lived in an medically and economically disadvantaged area 5-6 months every year with my parents who are immigrants from a developing country"
Just pull some experiences from that.
If you're afraid that they won't see it that way, then put "No, I never lived in an underserved community, BUT every year...blase blase" and just talk about experiences you had seen from your time in the developing country.

I put no since it's very specific about living in an underserved community; but then I elaborated on how I am still part of underserved communities since I receive Medicaid, etc.

y'all.... have any of you gotten a response to an email you sent them? it's literally been over a week and i j want an answer to my question 😭

Just received my Casper results - scored in the bottom quartile. Does anyone know how badly this hurts my application? I'm pretty good everywhere else, however, I am an international student. Pretty concerned, although trying not to be.

Last edited:
Just received my Casper results - scored in the bottom quartile. Does anyone know how badly this hurts my application? I'm pretty good everywhere else i.e. MCAT, GPA, ECs, and I have a published paper in Viruses from my undergraduate research. However, I am an international student. Pretty concerned, although trying not to be.
Last week on their first Friday, they said they use it for information purposes only for now. So just to gather data. As from next year or so, they will know how to factor it into the admission process

Reactions: 3 users
Last week on their first Friday, they said they use it for information purposes only for now. So just to gather data. As from next year or so, they will know how to factor it into the admission process
whew, Very relieving thank you so much :)

For secondary applications, for the prompts are we to complete them all? First Gen student here, sorry if its a dumb question.

Just got the email that they reviewed my application. Complete 8/9 I’m assuming based on other schools. Never got a complete email if they sent one.

Last edited by a moderator:
For secondary applications, for the prompts are we to complete them all? First Gen student here, sorry if its a dumb question.
Yes complete them all. Some prompts are specific like “is any member of your family associated with Howard University” where you can put N/A if it doesn’t apply.

Yes complete them all. Some prompts are specific like “is any member of your family associated with Howard University” where you can put N/A if it doesn’t apply.
Thanks for responding so quick, and sounds good. I was confused for a moment but that makes sense.

Just got the email that they reviewed my application. Complete 8/9 I’m assuming based on other schools. Never got a complete email if they send on.
this was after submitting your primary or secondary?

Hey folks, I had a question regarding the additional info question on the secondary. What are you guys using that space for? I had one prereq that I needed to still take (English) and I mentioned that. I was wondering if I should use the rest as a "Why Us?" or something else.

Has anyone gotten an II?
someone on Reddit mentioned they got one

got an II yesterday! They offered 9/14, 9/15, and 9/21 as interview dates

Reactions: 5 users