2021-2022 Central Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any tips for interview at CMU??? I’m nervous af…

Members don't see this ad.

Received an interview invite yesterday! I was complete 8/26!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Any tips for interview at CMU??? I’m nervous af…
For the MMI style, I watched some youtube videos and read practice prompts online. Theres a bunch of really great resources out there with practice questions and answers. To help me formulate my thoughts, I'd literally open up photo booth on my laptop and record myself doing some practice scenarios lol. That way you can rewatch and tweak whatever you find necessary.
Also reading up on the school, mission, values, all the opportunities they offer (especially the ones that you find a connection with/are particularly intrigued in) will help.
Good luck!!! You got this!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school jusf keep silent snd reject everyone at the end? I haven’t got an interview so at this point, safe to assume R?

Does this school jusf keep silent snd reject everyone at the end? I haven’t got an interview so at this point, safe to assume R?
Yep, they reject everyone at the end. I wouldn’t give up hope just yet, but there’s only a month or two left to realistically get an invite.

Reactions: 5 users
II Today complete Mid-August! URM IS! Dates for all of January still.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Got an II today, but will be turning it down. Hope it goes to one of you! Good luck y’all - you’ve got this!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
complete 7/24, IS radio silence since submission

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang are y'all instate or OOS for those hearing back, still nothing for me since my Oct 1st interview ☹

I just got waitlistsd as well. OOS and I interviewed in September. 508 MCAT and 3.62 gpa.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear. They have solid WL movement so hoping you get in. When did you interview if you don’t mind my asking?
It’s okay, it is what it is. I interviewed on September 17, IS

Doesn't CMed have a ton of waitlist movement? It def doesn't seem like a death sentence!
I didn’t know, that’s good!
Just wishing it was an A. I’m staying positive though.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received an email for the January Road to Matriculation yet?

Just received road to matriculation email. I interviewed in Nov. and this is the first I’ve heard from cmu since

Interviewed 8/20 and still haven’t gotten a response at all. Should I email them, or
Just wait it out?

Here is last year's match list that I received from a medical student at CMU. Note that some specialties require a transitional year like radiology and PMR for PGY1. % of students going into primary care was around 41% (Fam Med, Pediatrics, IM, and OBGYN). Some students from this class decided to take gap years to do research and apply with the class below. Also according to my friend Plastic Surgery has been the only specialty never matched from CMU based on previous match lists.

Attachments

• class of 2021 publishable list .pdf
    74 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
  • Love
Here is last year's match list that I received from a medical student at CMU. Note that some specialties require a transitional year like radiology and PMR for PGY1. % of students going into primary care was around 41% (Fam Med, Pediatrics, IM, and OBGYN). Some students from this class decided to take gap years to do research and apply with the class below. Also according to my friend Plastic Surgery has been the only specialty never matched from CMU based on previous match lists.
blesssss your soul!

blesssss your soul!
No problem! I think the match list is very solid and it definitely beats out some MD schools and all DO schools in terms of quality of places where students seem to be matching. CMU has nothing to hide!

Anyone who interviewed here know if they accept post interview thank you letters and letters of intent? And if so where should I Send it to?

Looking for advice: IS student, both are close to family, comparable in cost - really do not know what specialty interested in. Looking to get the best education and training is the main goal.

Central Michigan vs. Wayne State?

I know one is rural and one is urban, but clinical sites will be more of an urban area for both I am assuming. Wayne is more established but worried about clinical sites drama (Henry Ford going to MSU, losing pediatrics DMC to central).

Looking for advice: IS student, both are close to family, comparable in cost - really do not know what specialty interested in. Looking to get the best education and training is the main goal.

Central Michigan vs. Wayne State?

I know one is rural and one is urban, but clinical sites will be more of an urban area for both I am assuming. Wayne is more established but worried about clinical sites drama (Henry Ford going to MSU, losing pediatrics DMC to central).
Hey @Wolverines2019#! I had reached out to some current students at CMU on this thread - they provided some great insight to my questions. It starts at the bottom of page 5. Hope that helps.

Hello friends!
I was hoping to get some input from current students.

1) With no major hospitals near Mount Pleasant, do you feel like your medical education has been negatively affected or hindered? Wouldn’t you say this is kind of like the Caribbean experience but in the states? I am just comparing the school to Wayne, for example, that is submerged in hospitals around it.

2) I learned that for your rotations, there are two lottery systems in place that decide where you’ll do your rotation; one for your longitudinal family med and one for the other core rotations. This would mean that you potentially would have to relocate up to 3 times during your 4 year MD. I’ve learned that the school doesn’t help much with arranging for housing. How do you feel about this?

3) I’m assuming many would want to do their rotations in the Detroit area, how likely is this?

Thanks!

You are awesome! :D

Really appreciate the detailed input. I actually want to serve underserved populations, so CMED would be a perfect match. My concern was the fact that clinic sites aren't too close around, so wanted to hear from current students how they feel about that. I appreciate the input about Wayne!

If you don't mind me asking follow up questions:
1) Do you know of students who have done international elective rotations?
2) During pre-clerkship, do you find there are enough opportunities to medically serve the community? (i.e. free clinics and street medicine)
3) Are there research opportunities available for med students?
4) What is life like in Mount Pleasant and Saginaw?
5) Do you know where I can find the CMED match list? I see the match list on the program overview pdf, but it doesn't mention the locations.

I really love the input you guys have been providing. I love the sense of community at CMED! Thank you!

If you don't mind, I have a couple follow up questions:
1) Do you feel like your training is impacted in any way because you are serving underserved populations? Or do you, on the contrary, feel that the fact that you are serving such communities (across Michigan) is providing you rather a more holistic exposure and training?

2) I was thinking that the fact that you are moving a few times actually can be beneficial as it provides you exposure to different communities and health systems? What are your thoughts?

3) Regarding away rotations, do you know of students who have done international rotations?

4) Are there research opportunities available for med students?

5) What is life like in Mount Pleasant and Saginaw?

Anyone who interviewed here know if they accept post interview thank you letters and letters of intent? And if so where should I Send it to?
Hi current M1 here. I emailed a thank you letter after I interviewed. I sent it to the admissions email. They may or may not respond to it (they didn't respond to mine), but I feel sending a post interview thank you letter is generally a nice touch. You can't go wrong with expressing your gratitude for the opportunity.

Hi current M1 here. I emailed a thank you letter after I interviewed. I sent it to the admissions email. They may or may not respond to it (they didn't respond to mine), but I feel sending a post interview thank you letter is generally a nice touch. You can't go wrong with expressing your gratitude for the opportunity.
Hi current M1... would you be willing to describe what the weekly schedule is like at CMED right now? I'm curious about what classes (if any) are actually happening in person. Is there anything that you have to be on campus for at the moment?

Hey could any current medical student comment on how CMU calculates their 75% match into primary care specialties? Do they include General Surgery and Psychiatry into that number. Most schools lists I have seen don't include Gen Surg and Psych into primary care.