2020-2021 Wright State (Boonshoft)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you use a Passport sized photo? I just realized that the photo I uploaded is way larger than a normal passport photo. It wouldn't be hard to adjust the size but I can't resubmit...do you think I should email them to ask if it's okay since they said to use the Passport app originally??
I just made sure that my picture was from my shoulders up and had a solid background. I took it on my phone and didn't really look at the size, I don't think it matters much. Even if it did, I'm sure they'll just let you send in another one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just made sure that my picture was from my shoulders up and had a solid background. I took it on my phone and didn't really look at the size, I don't think it matters much. Even if it did, I'm sure they'll just let you send in another one.
Thank you for that, I was getting really worried that they wouldn't accept the photo since it was larger than a normal passport size. I'm debating if I should email them to ask if it's okay or just wait to see if they email me

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! Interviewed 11/24

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I interviewed 10/28 and haven't heard anything back. Anyone else in the same/similar boat? Getting worried since it's been more than 6 weeks

Update: Got my answer. Waitlisted

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is there a deadline to complete the AAMC VITA, like a certain number of weeks before your interview or something?

Accepted, interviewed 11/24!
For those of you who got accepted, when did you get the acceptance packet via email? WSU is my top choice so I'm very excited to submit everything ASAP but confused on how the process goes :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted, interviewed 11/24!
For those of you who got accepted, when did you get the acceptance packet via email? WSU is my top choice so I'm very excited to submit everything ASAP but confused on how the process goes :)

Yay congrats fam!!!! So excited for you!! I got my email pretty quickly after, but I’m sure they’ll send it soon if you haven’t received it yet. You just have to sign documents via DocuSign and then they’ll send you more info later!

Had a few more questions that may be of interest to some of you:

Do you think wright state might consider [applying to very few schools] a red flag even if I knew I wanted to go there?

1) No I don't think WS will consider this a red flag. In fact, I doubt they'll notice. Admissions committee members have a lot going on, I can promise you they don't analyze people to the nth degree like that haha. In general, my assumption would be if you're comparing applying to many vs few schools, it probably looks better to only apply to a few schools (unlike me lol) because it shows commitment to that school. Several people in my class only applied to a few schools like you, whereas I applied to tons haha.

Side note - IMO, pre-meds should apply to AS MANY schools as possible for two reasons. First, you may interview at a school and find out you really like it there. I fell in love with Wright State during my interview but didn't know much about it prior to that. Second, the whole admissions process across all medical schools is very much dependent on chance. I have heard some admissions directors at other schools say things like "sometimes I pick up their application and sometimes I don't." Another said "some days I'm looking for these traits and some days I'm looking for others (traits)." So, you want to apply to as many as possible to improve your chances. This is also why a rejection should not be taken as a direct reflection of your future prospects as a physician. Never give up!

I was wondering if you could talk a bit about your [interview] experience and what are some things I can prepare for/ look up?

2) Outside of knowing your own application, don't prepare. The interview is very relaxed - treat it like having coffee with a friend. We talked about what I like to do for fun, who my friends are, where I've traveled, etc. I even told them some of my many embarrassing stories and the guy loved it. They mostly are looking for someone who can have a good conversation. Being genuine in any interview is really important, so just let your true personality shine. It's okay to not know much about the school, that's why you're there to ask questions and learn about it. Don't be afraid to smile and laugh - just relax and be yourself.

Are there ways at wright state in which I can use my research experiences/knowledge to help serve those communities?

3) Yes! There are tons of clubs and committees involved in community outreach, so I'm sure you could get involved in something like that.

Yay congrats fam!!!! So excited for you!! I got my email pretty quickly after, but I’m sure they’ll send it soon if you haven’t received it yet. You just have to sign documents via DocuSign and then they’ll send you more info later!
Thank you!!! Super excited :D
Is there a groupme or FB group or something? Unsure if we have one and if we're allowed to join it this early on

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!!! Super excited :D
Is there a groupme or FB group or something? Unsure if we have one and if we're allowed to join it this early on

Here you go!!

Idk if they’ve shared the link to the FB group publicly, but it’s searchable to anyone on FB so I might as well

Has anyone been rejected post interview or do they place everyone on the alternate/waitlist?

II today! complete late august, interview in mid-January

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was place on waitlist and feel like everyone else got acceptances right out the gate...

• Care
I was place on waitlist and feel like everyone else got acceptances right out the gate...
If it makes you feel better I haven’t even heard back from weight state since my secondaries and they’re one of the last schools I haven’t heard back from

Think of it this way, the less people on the waitlist the more likely you will get off the waitlist come April/May and get an acceptance.

Think of it this way, the less people on the waitlist the more likely you will get off the waitlist come April/May and get an acceptance.
I was waitlisted as well and not many people said they were on this thread but this comment gives me somewhat of peace :)

I’m sorry friend. How did you feel your interview went?
I thought it was good very conversational and I thought I was very well-liked by the faculty member, maybe not so much the student I guess since I'm waitiliested bc its a very "closed-filed scenario" type interview with students. The only other thing is I'm OOS and they may have been wondering how likely i would go to Ohio

I just received an II and I am an OOS applicant. Secondary completed 10/7

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Congrats! Can we get your stats?
500 MCAT, 3.26 sGPA, and 3.42 cGPA...I know my stats are pretty low but I believe my unique experiences, as well as how I’ve overcome a pretty rough childhood, played a role in them extending an II to me.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
For those of you that got your decisions, did they come via email or phone call or both?

Is there any way to check my pre-II status? Have yet to hear from this school and my app was done in September

Reactions: 3 users
Is there any way to check my pre-II status? Have yet to hear from this school and my app was done in September
I was complete 8/3 and have yet to hear back. Sent an email in October to make sure I didn't imagine the complete email and they replied that I was complete and under review. Not a peep since.

Hi all! Very non-traditional MD applicant (early 40s, attorney, 509 MCAT) who is VERY interested in Boonshoft and has an interview next week. Any current or recent students who could answer a few questions, please direct message me! I would be super appreciative.

For those that interviewed, did you send a thank you letter to you interviewers? If so, did you only write one letter for your two interviewers? And did you email it to admissions using their email address, or did you upload it into your portal? I don't see a thank you letter upload option.

I wrote notes for each interviewer and sent them to the admissions committee.

For those that interviewed, did you send a thank you letter to you interviewers? If so, did you only write one letter for your two interviewers? And did you email it to admissions using their email address, or did you upload it into your portal? I don't see a thank you letter upload option.
I wrote one email to admissions and in it I included a brief note for each interviewer. They then forwarded it on. A day after my interview they sent out an email with how to send the notes and the correct email address

Did any other waiting interviewees just have a literal HEART ATTACK at this happy new year email?? Or just me?😅

Reactions: 3 users
The words “we were unable to” definitely popped out when I first read the email so that was a fun few seconds. I will say that the videos are really well done though!

Last edited:
Pre II R /: IS, complete in July

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
I just got a pre-II R here OOS complete 8/10

• Care
I have not heard anything yet since being complete 10/4. Should I consider this good or bad news?

I have not heard anything yet since being complete 10/4. Should I consider this good or bad news?
At least rn, seems like no news is good news, because ppl have gotten pre-II R here. Ive been complete since 8/6 and nothing so who knows lol

Can anyone confirm if there is something from the rejection email saying they've completed all their interview invites?

Did anyone get any interview feedback today? Was expecting news for the early Dec interviews 🤔

Placed on alternate list today, interviewed 12/2. As I’m OOS I’m not surprised. I’m withdrawing my app- good luck everyone!

• Care
Did anyone get any interview feedback today? Was expecting news for the early Dec interviews 🤔
UPDATE: I was ACCEPTED 😭 omg I can’t believe it!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users