2020-2021 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
wow! that's a long list! why is it so long? Can't they trim it down to 150 comfortably? I'm also confused as to why this document says the waitlist consists of only 100 applicants.

thanks for the reply btw!
Because the MSAR is outdated for almost every school about waitlist. The assistant dean for admissions came and told us this information in last years thread.

I mean they can do whatever they want lol. I dont think its wrong to do that especially as a state school where they know they might not be people first choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently on the waitlist here and at one other school, considering applying to VCU's post-bacc program. Any chances that submitting an application would hurt my chances of making it off the waitlist? I know it's a ranked list that they go down in order, but I am paranoid that applying for the post bacc would indicate a lack of confidence and be a big red flag for the admissions committee

Currently on the waitlist here and at one other school, considering applying to VCU's post-bacc program. Any chances that submitting an application would hurt my chances of making it off the waitlist? I know it's a ranked list that they go down in order, but I am paranoid that applying for the post bacc would indicate a lack of confidence and be a big red flag for the admissions committee
It won't, your score is set in stone after the interview.

If you're talking about CERT, I'd wouldn't recommend doing it if you managed to make the waitlist without it.

Last edited:
have any accepted students been contacted since their acceptance? i haven't heard about an accepted applicant group or a second look day yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for accepted students? Did y’all receive an acceptance letter?

Did accepted students get an email about the pre-matriculation program in June? Does anyone know how beneficial it is to participate?

Reactions: 1 users
Did accepted students get an email about the pre-matriculation program in June? Does anyone know how beneficial it is to participate?
I did not do it myself, but I have talked to some of my classmates who did. According to them, it is very helpful because you cover a good amount of material so it is a lot easier when you are studying during the school year. You also get a head start on figuring out study methods and schedules.

However, it is a lot of work during the summer so you would loose quite a bit of free time. Quite possibly the only free time (with no med school responsibilities) for a few years. So it definitely has its pros and cons. You have to decide what your priorities are.

i also got the prematriculation invitation! Apparently we get a small scholarship? Is that true?

Just released my acceptance here, wishing the next person in line on the waitlist good fortune very soon!

Reactions: 10 users
Any current medical students/those familiar with the area know which areas in Richmond are safe to live in? OOS and never been to Richmond so very unfamiliar with the different areas. Thanks!

Any current medical students/those familiar with the area know which areas in Richmond are safe to live in? OOS and never been to Richmond so very unfamiliar with the different areas. Thanks!

I’m an undergrad at VCU matriculating next semester. Many med students live in Shockoe Bottom because it is near the hospital. I don’t have much experience with the area, but I hear it’s not the safest neighborhood. Church Hill is a bit further and more expensive, but it has a very low crime rate. Someone else may be able to elaborate.

The nicest and safest neighborhood in Richmond that students could afford is the Fan. It’s far from the hospital so you can’t walk, but you could find a place near a Pulse bus stop which goes straight to the hospital. Lots of restaurants and bars here too.

If you’re lucky, you may be able to find a relatively cheap apartment in Scotts Addition, which is filled with entertainment/breweries/restaurants. It’s very safe and very far from the hospital, but SA has its own Pulse stop.

A lot of people also live across the river in Manchester. Historically it has a high crime rate, but it’s being gentrified at a crazy rate.

If you plan on biking/driving to class, check out Oregon Hill. It’s cheap, safe, and a really cool community.

Richmond overall is safe as long as you follow general safety rules that apply everywhere: don’t go walking down dark alleys late at night, lock your doors, don’t leave expensive stuff visible in your car.

If you’re particularly considered about safety, I would avoid Jackson Ward, Carver, and areas adjacent to public housing neighborhoods (unfortunate, but true).

Richmond is a great, smallish city.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m an undergrad at VCU matriculating next semester. Many med students live in Shockoe Bottom because it is near the hospital. I don’t have much experience with the area, but I hear it’s not the safest neighborhood. Church Hill is a bit further and more expensive, but it has a very low crime rate. Someone else may be able to elaborate.

The nicest and safest neighborhood in Richmond that students could afford is the Fan. It’s far from the hospital so you can’t walk, but you could find a place near a Pulse bus stop which goes straight to the hospital. Lots of restaurants and bars here too.

If you’re lucky, you may be able to find a relatively cheap apartment in Scotts Addition, which is filled with entertainment/breweries/restaurants. It’s very safe and very far from the hospital, but SA has its own Pulse stop.

A lot of people also live across the river in Manchester. Historically it has a high crime rate, but it’s being gentrified at a crazy rate.

If you plan on biking/driving to class, check out Oregon Hill. It’s cheap, safe, and a really cool community.

Richmond overall is safe as long as you follow general safety rules that apply everywhere: don’t go walking down dark alleys late at night, lock your doors, don’t leave expensive stuff visible in your car.

If you’re particularly considered about safety, I would avoid Jackson Ward, Carver, and areas adjacent to public housing neighborhoods (unfortunate, but true).

Good stuff, thank you!

Awesome info, thanks!

What is the policy about sending update letters while being post-interview and waitlisted? I know that VCU did not want update letters prior to an interview invite, but wasn't sure if this policy is different after being waitlisted.

What is the policy about sending update letters while being post-interview and waitlisted? I know that VCU did not want update letters prior to an interview invite, but wasn't sure if this policy is different after being waitlisted.
VCU SOM's website under the Application Portal tab states:

"DO NOT submit additional materials or updates. The college accepts additional information only when an applicant is placed in the alternate pool after interview or by Committee request. We believe that the AMCAS application you initially submitted is representative of your academic abilities and activities."

The mention of the alternate pool as an exception makes me think you can send an update. But it being under the Application Portal tab makes me think they'd like the update via portal rather than email. Although the portal does not have such an option. I resorted to sending an update to Dr. Whitehurst-Cook and no reply. They probably don't take the update, but it couldn't hurt. Does anyone else have experience with this?

VCU SOM's website under the Application Portal tab states:

"DO NOT submit additional materials or updates. The college accepts additional information only when an applicant is placed in the alternate pool after interview or by Committee request. We believe that the AMCAS application you initially submitted is representative of your academic abilities and activities."

The mention of the alternate pool as an exception makes me think you can send an update. But it being under the Application Portal tab makes me think they'd like the update via portal rather than email. Although the portal does not have such an option. I resorted to sending an update to Dr. Whitehurst-Cook and no reply. They probably don't take the update, but it couldn't hurt. Does anyone else have experience with this?
I would email Dr Whitehurst cook and just ask her!

Heres the real truth. The alternate list is ranked by the final score that you received in the admissions committee meeting. That score is never going to change, and they just simply go down from 1 to 250 when making offers. If you have an update, its not going to change the score or your position. It will simply just be copy and pasted into the notes next to your score. At this point in VCUs system, its not going to change anything. It could make a difference if there are 2 people with the same score as tie breaker, but thats it.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m a little confused about grading. Is it true p/f if they also have distinction for certain students?

I’m a little confused about grading. Is it true p/f if they also have distinction for certain students?
Almost every MD school has distinctions for certain students. It’s still true p/f.

JUST GOT ACCEPTED!! I absolutely love VCU I can’t believe it

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
THE WAITLIST MOVES. First acceptance of the cycle!!!!! Was fully ready to start my reapplication as well!

Interviewed 3/4, WL 3/19, Acceptance 4/9!!!!!!!

OOS from NY, LM 74, WDARS C, ORM

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
THE WAITLIST MOVES. First acceptance of the cycle!!!!! Was fully ready to start my reapplication as well!

Interviewed 3/4, WL 3/19, Acceptance 4/9!!!!!!!

OOS from NY, LM 74, WDARS C, ORM
Wow, congrats to you two!!! Maybe WL will move more than previous years since it has already started so early.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hi this might be a longshot but are there any other Canadians who can help me with Certiphi? I'm confused on what to put on the Canadian form under Organization Requesting Search, contact name, and contact phone number? Anyone have any clue?